THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery AW/MW M240i w/ Red Dakota Interior - Yes or No

07-05-2016, 04:25 AM   #1
MichalM240i
First Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: M8

Lightbulb

As title says - I'm now in ordering process of new M240i considering two colors both white - Alpine White and Mineral White with Red dakota leather in interior. I'm a bit afraid that I will look like idiot leaving a car fitted with red leather in a suit or any other formal clothes.

The main question is - do you recommend red leather/would you go with read leather? And if yes, what interior trim would you go with /if you already haven't/.
I'm thinking about hexagon aluminium with black stripe underneath but isn't that a huge contrast between red and black leather? Next option is ofcourse ,,piano black" trim.

Also adding one black dakota interior with blue stitching to see.
Based on the pictures tell me, please, which one do you like most:
1) Red Dakota leather w/ hexagon aluminium trim
[IMG]http://public.pulpan.iphonista.cz/files/r_hexa1.png[/IMG]
[IMG]http://public.pulpan.iphonista.cz/files/r_hexa2.png[/IMG]
2) Red Dakota leather w/ black piano trim
[IMG]http://public.pulpan.iphonista.cz/files/r_b1.png[/IMG]
[IMG]http://public.pulpan.iphonista.cz/files/r_b2.png[/IMG]
3) Black Dakota Leather with blue stitching w/ hexagon aluminium trim
[IMG]http://public.pulpan.iphonista.cz/files/b_hexa1.png[/IMG]
[IMG]http://public.pulpan.iphonista.cz/files/b_hexa2.png[/IMG]
4) Black Dakota Leather with blue stitching w/ black piano trim
[IMG]http://public.pulpan.iphonista.cz/files/b_b1.png[/IMG]
[IMG]http://public.pulpan.iphonista.cz/files/b_b2.png[/IMG]

Thanks,
Mike
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 04:46 AM   #2
Robm129
Private
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i

Go see it in person. The red looks really good! It is bold though and seems to be exactly what you want. I would guess your perceptions of "how you look exiting the car" are fueled by other insecurities. The M240i will speak for itself, regardless of color combo. Get what makes you smile. I went with black dakota leather cause that fit the more classic look and should be more attractive for resale.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 04:56 AM   #3
MichalM240i
First Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robm129
Go see it in person. The red looks really good! It is bold though and seems to be exactly what you want. I would guess your perceptions of "how you look exiting the car" are fueled by other insecurities. The M240i will speak for itself, regardless of color combo. Get what makes you smile. I went with black dakota leather cause that fit the more classic look and should be more attractive for resale.
Thank you! Well yeah, some of insecurity is in a game, because I'm a bit afraid of resale too (in Europe) and reason why I go with white exterior is that blue for example is to me more like a season color. You buy it, you drive it and after 8 months you sell it. But I want car for some years.

Probably I'm too much thinking about it, I will stick to where my heart is pointing at and that's red combo. Just wanted to hear others opinions.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 08:43 AM   #4
bozman9
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235xi CV

Mineral White w/ Red looks great as a coupe. I was going to order this as a convertible choice, but I didn't like how the black top went with everything when the top was up. So, I ended up w/ Glacier Silver and Red.

The Red really does look great in person and I think it goes well with white. I prefer Mineral white to Alpine, as it has a bit more 'character' and doesn't show imperfections/swirls like the flat Alpine would. On trim, I got stuck with hex trim - it looks ok but is not my favorite. If ordering, I would have chosen the piano black.

My 2 cents. Which one can you not stop thinking about at night? Go with your gut.

Bozman
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 10:52 AM   #5
MichalM240i
First Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozman9
Mineral White w/ Red looks great as a coupe. I was going to order this as a convertible choice, but I didn't like how the black top went with everything when the top was up. So, I ended up w/ Glacier Silver and Red.

The Red really does look great in person and I think it goes well with white. I prefer Mineral white to Alpine, as it has a bit more 'character' and doesn't show imperfections/swirls like the flat Alpine would. On trim, I got stuck with hex trim - it looks ok but is not my favorite. If ordering, I would have chosen the piano black.

My 2 cents. Which one can you not stop thinking about at night? Go with your gut.

Bozman
Bozman, thanks! When I was younger I set my heart on a MW BMW Z4 35is with red interior. I guess, now is time to make a dream come true as a 2er in this color combo.
Thank you and enjoy your cab.!
Don't you mind posting some photos? Even of interior ?
Mike
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 11:18 AM   #6
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

I have the AW with Coral Red/Brushed aluminum interior. Looks fantastic, although I'm replacing my aluminum with carbon fiber in the coming days.

Simply my opinion, but the brushed looks/feels better than the hexagon trim.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 11:24 AM   #7
MichalM240i
First Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619
I have the AW with Coral Red/Brushed aluminum interior. Looks fantastic, although I'm replacing my aluminum with carbon fiber in the coming days.

Simply my opinion, but the brushed looks/feels better than the hexagon trim.
Would you mind posting some photos? Performance trim or some 3rd party ?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 12:54 PM   #8
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpan_m View Post
Sure will. It's trim from the M2.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 01:18 PM   #9
MichalM240i
First Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Sure will. It's trim from the M2.
Wow! Do you mind asking, how much did you pay?
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 02:23 PM   #10
bozman9
Private
United_States
Rep

Mike, mine is still on a boat, but there are lots of pics of white/red in the pics/video forum here. I spent a few hours there when I was making my decision.

Bozman
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 04:06 PM   #11
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Wow! Do you mind asking, how much did you pay?
Thanks!
$500 from another member here.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 10:07 PM   #12
siwo
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i RWD 6MT

Garage List
I'm slightly more conservative so I ended up getting Black Dakota (black stitching as I don't have a choice) along with High Gloss Black trim with silver highlights for my Mineral White M235i. I sat on the fence for a while on whether or not I should have gone with the Red leather and I liked it a lot. One thing that turned me off is the amount of red used in the rear and it almost seems like it's a bit much. I also have a 4 year old and a car-seat that goes back there so I am keeping it black. I also worried that the red would look too old when it ages down the road. I am happy with my decision (albeit my car purchase is still being shipped and I don't have it yet) and I have no regrets.
2004 Civic Coupe Si(EX) 5MT - Retired
1993 Civic Coupe Si(EX) 5MT - Retired
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 10:28 PM   #13
bozman9
Private
United_States
Rep

Sorry, off topic.
Siwo, we also have a 4 yr old. What car seat did you test with? We had some trouble getting our Britax Frontier 90 to sit flush due to the rear headrests.

Back on topic. I talked to an M3 owner today with red interior. They said it has worn very well and they still love it. FWIW, From what I have read, most people are still happy with their red years later.

Bozman
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 11:04 PM   #14
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

Under 20? Manager BMW?

Are you for real or just trolling here?
Maybe you should be getting a car more appropriate for your age and driving experience?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 12:36 AM   #15
Gabrola
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
Under 20? Manager BMW?

Maybe you should be getting a car more appropriate for your age and driving experience?
By manager BMW he probably means a BMW belonging to a company executive with a stereotypical sense of style aka black on black car.
And what does his age have to do with what car he gets? If he/his parents has the money then he's free to get whatever he wants whether be it a Golf, M235i or even a Rolls Royce.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 12:49 AM   #16
MichalM240i
First Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos
Under 20? Manager BMW?

Ramos - don't be that guy...
That's a point I didn't want to get in... I wrote the age only to show you the situation - that I'm young and might go for something a bit crazier. Manager post was too just a parable meaning that most of BMW cars are black sedans (or at least they used to be but in people's minds it's still "coded").
Now I know it was waste of time writing this reply to you..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 12:53 AM   #17
MichalM240i
First Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by siwo
I'm slightly more conservative so I ended up getting Black Dakota (black stitching as I don't have a choice) along with High Gloss Black trim with silver highlights for my Mineral White M235i. I sat on the fence for a while on whether or not I should have gone with the Red leather and I liked it a lot. One thing that turned me off is the amount of red used in the rear and it almost seems like it's a bit much. I also have a 4 year old and a car-seat that goes back there so I am keeping it black. I also worried that the red would look too old when it ages down the road. I am happy with my decision (albeit my car purchase is still being shipped and I don't have it yet) and I have no regrets.
Thanks! Yeah, my worry was also "how will the leather stay in a time".. But what I can say - I have seen few of black leather cars (not super premium ones like merino, etc..) that shown usage quite too (for example 4 years old BMW cab) - leather was shiny and it just didn't look that well... But it's all just about owner !
Enjoy your ride, Siwo!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 05:56 AM   #18
ABPReader
Deserter
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BM&W

Quote:
As title says - I'm now in ordering process of new M240i considering two colors both white - Alpine White and Mineral White with Red dakota leather in interior. I'm a bit afraid that I will look like idiot leaving a car fitted with red leather in a suit or any other formal clothes.
Buy the combo that you prefer otherwise you will regret. White car with a red interior doesn't look idiot at all. On a white coupé, red interior is the best choice IMHO.
I don't think it will be harder for the resale (I live in Switzerland), older BMWs and Mercos have had some funky interior for example bright purple, bright blue, .. these interior were probably hard to sell.

Buy the car you want and don't look back
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 08:15 AM   #19
Grentz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 40i G05

The white/red combo should be fine for resale. Lots like it.

Get what you like though. I have Black and Terra and love it, also dont see very many.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 11:03 AM   #20
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep

Professional photographer, I am not.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 11:16 AM   #21
MichalM240i
First Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Professional photographer, I am not.
Wow! Carbon fiber looks great!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 12:10 PM   #22
supernova72
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i 6MT, Silver/Coral

FWIW I get compliments often on my interior. I was a little hesitant must admit but now love it. Bought the car used sight unseen

Name:  M235 int.jpg
Views: 7231
Size:  55.7 KB
Other rides
1985 GMC S-15 4X4 (dad's truck), 1972 Chevy Nova
Appreciate 0