THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum OK Stupid Question time!

04-24-2015, 11:45 AM   #23
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarrx3 View Post
Honestly dual climate control in a vehicle with this small a cabin is useless. I feel heated seats are as well unless you have the vert. The heater and AC in this car works so well the car heats up and cools down so quickly. You are so close to each other I just dont see how its a benefit. A manual AC would work just fine. The new Porsche Boxster Spider comes standard without climate control but its a no cost option for the manual climate control or a $750 option for dual. No way I would spend that $750.
I disagree as well. Regardless of how effective the dual-climate may or may not be, it ends arguments

As to the heated seats, there's much more to them than not sitting in a cold seat for a few minutes. At least for those of us with back problems, the heated seats are very relaxing, not to mention they have kept soreness at bay on long trips.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 12:13 PM   #24
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Honestly dual climate control in a vehicle with this small a cabin is useless. I feel heated seats are as well unless you have the vert. The heater and AC in this car works so well the car heats up and cools down so quickly. You are so close to each other I just dont see how its a benefit. A manual AC would work just fine. The new Porsche Boxster Spider comes standard without climate control but its a no cost option for the manual climate control or a $750 option for dual. No way I would spend that $750.
The cabin air temperature is going to average out, but the difference is I can be sitting in my seat having ice cold air blowing on me and she can have the seat heater on and hot air blowing on her. To all the married guys singing it's praises it's definitely worthwhile. My temperature is always 5 degrees lower than her side and her seat heater is on even into summer evenings.
      04-24-2015, 12:29 PM   #25
shark715
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 50i, '16 M235xi vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
As to the heated seats, there's much more to them than not sitting in a cold seat for a few minutes. At least for those of us with back problems, the heated seats are very relaxing, not to mention they have kept soreness at bay on long trips.
Also nice to have on a long drive in severely cold weather as you don't have to have the cabin quite as warm to maintain the same comfort level, and a cooler cabin tends to keep me more alert while driving on a long trip. Every vehicle I've had in the last 20 years (except a Lotus Elise) has had heated seats. Sure, I could live without them if I had to, but they are nice and I have never had one that needed repair.
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2015, 03:04 PM   #26
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

You guys do realize that our cars do have dual zone climate control, right?

This thread is about the lack of the "all" button that allows you to optionally set the temp of both sides simultaneously rather than having to set them separately.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 03:17 PM   #27
3.0L
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
You guys do realize that our cars do have dual zone climate control, right?

This thread is about the lack of the "all" button that allows you to optionally set the temp of both sides simultaneously rather than having to set them separately.
Having owned mine for a year now, I'm quite aware that it has dual climate controls. And, I even offered a solution regarding linking them together. It's bit low-tech, but probably would work.

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 03:53 PM   #28
bluemeanie
Private
Rep
Drives: 228i=awesome

Why the driver would need to set the temperature on the passenger side mystifies me. Are we being a bit OCD about the numbers being the same? Or does changing the passenger side temp so that the passenger does not have to do anything constitute some sort of personal service to be "repaid" later?

At least the thread title makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 03:55 PM   #29
338FREAK
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Midnight Blue 2015 BMW 228XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemeanie View Post
Why the driver would need to set the temperature on the passenger side mystifies me. Are we being a bit OCD about the numbers being the same? Or does changing the passenger side temp so that the passenger does not have to do anything constitute some sort of personal service to be "repaid" later?
It's not that Most vehicles that have dual climate if left on extreme differences for a long time can exhibit failure later in the cars life and it's not cheap to replace.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 03:58 PM   #30
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Mineral White/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
Says the guy from the state where temperatures in the upper-20s are considered a brutal cold wave in the winter.

Try rolling out of the house in the morning when your car's been sitting all night and the seat/padding/frame are all at the same -10degF temperature as the rest of the neighborhood, then realize your backside is insulating all that cold material from the car's heater.
True...I would never live in a place like that so my opinion is biased toward a warmer climate. I also would not pay this much for a car and not have a garage.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 04:14 PM   #31
dcfella
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Is there a way to prevent the climate control from turning on by default when the car starts?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 04:19 PM   #32
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Mineral White/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfella View Post
Is there a way to prevent the climate control from turning on by default when the car starts?
Not sure but that is the same question people ask on the forums of every car I have purchased in the last 15 years. Probably not...maybe coding.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 04:21 PM   #33
shark715
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Great question...
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 04:34 PM   #34
shark715
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Not sure but that is the same question people ask on the forums of every car I have purchased in the last 15 years. Probably not...maybe coding.
Interesting. The only car I've had that does this is our X5, and I've never liked the feature. Our Mini Countryman (a BMW product) with the optional auto climate control starts with the climate control in the position it was when the engine was turned off.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 04:39 PM   #35
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shark715 View Post
Great question...
Other than in the stable paradise of, for example, San Diego, why would one want this to happen?
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 04:58 PM   #36
shark715
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Other than in the stable paradise of, for example, San Diego, why would one want this to happen?
On days when the weather in New Jersey is like San Diego :-)
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 05:35 PM   #37
3.0L
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338FREAK View Post
It's not that Most vehicles that have dual climate if left on extreme differences for a long time can exhibit failure later in the cars life and it's not cheap to replace.
Is that similar to leaving your refrigerator door open with the furnace on? Or, more like two pigs wrestling in a gunny sack.

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 06:57 PM   #38
nike001
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
Yes it IS true, the all button used to be I the same spot that is occupied now by the "max AC" button on the 2 and 3-4 series

What does the 5 series have to do with any of this?
No it IS NOT true.

They didn't completely go away with the All/Sync button. The post I quoted and said it is not true is because he implied it's vanished from all models. This is false.

For the vehicles WITH the Sync button in 2015 (like the 5 series, which is why I mentioned it), it's not in the same spot (which he was partially correct in saying). The button to sync the two zones are now lower by the fan speed settings.

Holy argumentative batman.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 11:07 AM   #39
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
I think I change the temperature in my car twice a year, to 68 in the winter and to 70 in the summer. I'm good with needing to turn an extra knob two clicks twice a year.

What I really miss in the new cars is the "REST" button.
There is an ancient Aztec saying that goes something like this: To understand a person, try walking up the Pyramid in their guaraches. (Sandals).

I'm happy you only have to change it twice a year. In California it is regularly 80-90 in the daytime and drops to 45-65 degrees in the evening. If you start driving from the coast inland, the temperature goes up 10 degrees in about 10 miles of distance which means that you start out without AC on the coast with the temp set to 65 degrees in car so it doesn't heat up the car, then as you drive inland or temp goes up, you turn AC on but now you set it to 72-74 so you don't freeze.

So seeing as California is a huge market for BMWs, the feature to sync was already there, it's just a simple thing, there is not force field separating the air from the drivers and passenger side, etc. It passes my test as stupid for them to take it away. If you had two capsules for driver and passenger and adjusted both, maybe it would make some sense but with all the BS gadget fluff features that new BMWs introduce, it makes no sense that they complicate a basic comfort feature as making it easy to adjust the cabin temp. They have complicated it, especially in a car where it is mostly driven with one person.

I hope that helps explain why some of us do think it's lame.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 11:19 AM   #40
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338FREAK View Post
I just have a 228 so I lack the cool logo however I have a xdrive badge on the back and that counts for somthing right? Haha
228 is bitchin car!

I know what you mean about "just" a 228 but remember, it's really cool car.

A contractor that saw my 1M came back to do some work and he had a young kid helping him. He had been telling the kid about my 1M and asked if I could show it to him. As we were walking toward the garage, I told him I had sold the 1M all I had now was "just" my old 2003 330i ZHP 6MT. I was feeling all bad for not having the 1M anymore to show and in all my feelings of self-pity, the kid was oggling my blue ZHP and blurted, out...I would take t his in a heartbeat!

It struck like a lightning bolt through my heart! I was that same young, super hard working kid with little money 20 years ago that never thought I would own a BMW, much less a ZHP or 1M. Really struck home and reminded me that we have to reality check ourselves!

So congrats on your 228i......bitchin' car....a dream car for me when I was 20 and you don't need no stinkin' 235i badge..it should have a temperature gauge there anyway!

: )
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 03:22 PM   #41
silverado
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemeanie

At least the thread title makes sense.
My thoughts exactly! Let the passenger, if you have one, adjust his/her own temp. Otherwise, leave that temp alone, unless it's very different from yours.
      04-26-2015, 04:28 PM   #42
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
There is an ancient Aztec saying that goes something like this: To understand a person, try walking up the Pyramid in their guaraches. (Sandals).

I'm happy you only have to change it twice a year. In California it is regularly 80-90 in the daytime and drops to 45-65 degrees in the evening. If you start driving from the coast inland, the temperature goes up 10 degrees in about 10 miles of distance which means that you start out without AC on the coast with the temp set to 65 degrees in car so it doesn't heat up the car, then as you drive inland or temp goes up, you turn AC on but now you set it to 72-74 so you don't freeze.

So seeing as California is a huge market for BMWs, the feature to sync was already there, it's just a simple thing, there is not force field separating the air from the drivers and passenger side, etc. It passes my test as stupid for them to take it away. If you had two capsules for driver and passenger and adjusted both, maybe it would make some sense but with all the BS gadget fluff features that new BMWs introduce, it makes no sense that they complicate a basic comfort feature as making it easy to adjust the cabin temp. They have complicated it, especially in a car where it is mostly driven with one person.

I hope that helps explain why some of us do think it's lame.
I sincerely don't understand the need for this much management of an automated system. My last car (a Mercedes) went six years, after being set on 70 and AUTO on day 1, and never changed other than the occasional MAX COOL and MAX DEFROST, as needed for speed to accomplish the temperature goal, and then back to 70 and AUTO. I don't think of it as having AC or Heat on; I set a temp I like and the car does whatever it needs to reach and maintain that. Worked very well across all four seasons each year. I let the car decide whether it needed to provide warm or cool air to reach my set temperature.

With the new 2, since August, it's been the same approach. Set it at 70 and AUTO and haven't moved it since last Summer, although in this car, it seems I do need to adjust the fan speed, unlike the Benz which did that on its own to meet the need.

Why do you need to be so actively involved with the HVAC to be comfortable once you set your preferred temp? Does your automated system not work well?
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 04:49 PM   #43
shark715
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Why do you need to be so actively involved with the HVAC to be comfortable once you set your preferred temp?
I can tell you in my case I prefer different settings in different situations. For example, If I jump in my car after a volleyball match and I'm hot and sweaty, even on a cool evening I'm likely turning down the temp controls to the lower 60's and keep the A/C button on as I need the dehumidification to keep the windows clear. After leaving the office on a cold winter evening, by the time I reach my car I'm chilled to the bone and might want max heat all the way home (in addition to the heated seat), and I'll turn off the A/C button so that the compressor does not needlessly run and waste fuel...I fully expect someone is going to reply that no longer saves fuel in modern cars :-)
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 04:58 PM   #44
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark715 View Post
I can tell you in my case I prefer different settings in different situations. For example, If I jump in my car after a volleyball match and I'm hot and sweaty, even on a cool evening I'm likely turning down the temp controls to the lower 60's and keep the A/C button on as I need the dehumidification to keep the windows clear. After leaving the office on a cold winter evening, by the time I reach my car I'm chilled to the bone and might want max heat all the way home (in addition to the heated seat), and I'll turn off the A/C button so that the compressor does not needlessly run and waste fuel...I fully expect someone is going to reply that no longer saves fuel in modern cars :-)
Interesting....I guess we have variations on how we get comfortable. I know that whatever is going on outside, if it's 70 in the car, I'm happy, so I always let the car get me there, from Summer to Winter. My wife thought if she turned the temperature up higher, it would somehow get to the desired (lower) temp sooner....set to 85 to get to 70 faster than just leaving it at 70! LOL! I finally was able to explain thermostats to her a few years back and she believed me.

I don't know about fuel consumption vs. compressor with/without open windows, etc. But, I do know over at MB, there were lots of folks with complaints about moldy odors coming out of their HVAC. To a person, they were all folks who manually controlled their automated system. An MB Tech eventually signed on the forum and explained that the automated system includes a drying cycle, and manual usage defeats that, allowing bacteria to grow and requiring a duct cleansing procedure to get rid of the odor. That alone made the AUTO setting desirable. Not sure if BMW works the same way or not.
Appreciate 0