THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum P3 Gauge Impressions?

11-28-2015, 02:30 PM   #1
EEBreh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: "M" 235i

P3 Gauge Impressions?

I noticed the P3 VIDI gauge is on sale for $309 shipped directly from them. Can anyone comment as to if they like it and if it is worth the money? I would like to know real time data and I would like to pick one up.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2015, 04:07 PM   #2
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

As far as integration goes for a full time gauge, it's probably the best you will find for our cars.

With that said, if knowledge is more important than integration cleanliness, then a smartphone combined with a wireless OBD2 dongle can provide more information. Keep in mind the $309 price is just the gauge. If you want it with the vent preinstalled the price goes up higher.

Bang for the buck, a cheap OBD2 scanner ($20), cheap Android phone (Free-$50), Torque app and a windshield or dash mount ($20) will give you much more content for less money (and support other cars in the future).

The flip side of course is if you want this for track work (where a phone shooting off your windshield is probably not an option) then the P3 gauge is probably the way to go.
      11-28-2015, 06:20 PM   #3
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Love mine...and i have it hooked up with the BMS stage 1 to display boost
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2015, 09:37 PM   #4
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

Don't forget that Torque works with Android but not iPhone. If you want to use your iPhone, get the Dash Command app.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 09:41 AM   #5
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEBreh View Post
I noticed the P3 VIDI gauge is on sale for $309 shipped directly from them. Can anyone comment as to if they like it and if it is worth the money? I would like to know real time data and I would like to pick one up.
I've had one installed for about seven months. It's not the most integrated as Cyberdemon states: that would be this gauge from Awron, which is a German company. It's more than 3 times your stated price for a P3, though.

For its price, I personally love my P3 -- and at $300 plus change (I paid regular price for mine), it's practically a steal for what it does, particularly compared to the available options. I bought mine for two reasons: engine temperature monitoring and the boost gauge. I don't use the other functions much, though the EGT and speed readouts are handy. Visually, it does get lost behind the steering wheel a tad, but it's not a huge deal. You'll find that it will reflect off the driver's side glass at night, which is distracting at first (kind of an HUD effect, LOL, though it's image is mirrored), but you get used to it.

Installation isn't too difficult. I bought mine separately from the OEM dash piece, and re-installing the vent slats can be frustrating. That's the hardest part, though you do need to be a little creative with mounting the unit behind the dash. I used a combination of zip ties and industrial velcro to affix the unit to the side of the dash bulkhead just behind the little plastic panel door that comes off when the driver's door is open, and I used smaller zip ties to keep wires tidy. Dimming is achieved by tapping into the trunk-release button with a T-tap, which is a tight operation unless you want to disassemble the entire lower dash.

Keep in mind that since the P3 works off of the OBD port, it won't show accurate readings for boost if you install a piggyback tune unless you run a wire from the turbo to the unit (sounds like that's what ehagerty has done).
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 10:42 AM   #6
semclane
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i - Dinan Suspension

I have had mine since I took the car in for its 1500 mile oil change at one of the local independents. I originally got it because my previous BMW (E90) speedometer read about 10 percent fast (according to the unmanned radar speed detectors scattered about our streets and highways). I thought a readout of the "uncorrected" speed would be helpful. Turns out our speedometers agree pretty consistently with the radars so i keep my P3 reporting the coolant and oil temperature readouts. Was it worth it? For what I had intended using it for, I would have to say no. What I have ended up using it for I would answer yes.
Appreciate 0