THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum New M235 owner and some questions

11-24-2015, 02:13 PM   #1
geep81
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235xi

New M235 owner and some questions

Hello from a new BMW owner! I switched from a 2014 Mercedes CLA 250 to this car about two weeks ago now. I am obviously loving it. However I have a few questions I hope you all can help me solve-

1) My car sometimes plays a chime and shows me the weather in the dashboard real big where the MPG/odometer is. This didn't happen until recently when it got colder here in Cleveland. I can't figure out a rhyme or reason for this. Especially since it did it 2 cold days, but not the other days where it's been just as cold. This is from first running of the day FYI.

2) I hear a clunk from what sounds like the rear wheel well behind my driver seat. Is this normal? It doesn't seem normal. It happens sometimes, and always when I'm going around a turn. Just a kind of dulled thunk/klunk sound. It seems like it is an abnormal issue.

Thanks! I am seriously looking forward to enjoying the hell out of this car.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 02:21 PM   #2
alexc93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: na

Your 1) question I can't help with much as down here in FL we don't tend to get much cold weather, but plenty of cold weather members i'm sure can help.

Your 2) question sounds like your rear strut having issues. This is a known thing and is always replaced under warranty (unless running aftermarket springs, even though often the struts are still replaced regardless a lot of the time).
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 02:21 PM   #3
s1uma1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

The chime usually comes when it's close to freezing temp... Guess to remind you that u should have antifreeze.

Have no idea about the clunk sound
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 02:29 PM   #4
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by geep81 View Post
Hello from a new BMW owner! I switched from a 2014 Mercedes CLA 250 to this car about two weeks ago now. I am obviously loving it. However I have a few questions I hope you all can help me solve-

1) My car sometimes plays a chime and shows me the weather in the dashboard real big where the MPG/odometer is. This didn't happen until recently when it got colder here in Cleveland. I can't figure out a rhyme or reason for this. Especially since it did it 2 cold days, but not the other days where it's been just as cold. This is from first running of the day FYI.

2) I hear a clunk from what sounds like the rear wheel well behind my driver seat. Is this normal? It doesn't seem normal. It happens sometimes, and always when I'm going around a turn. Just a kind of dulled thunk/klunk sound. It seems like it is an abnormal issue.

1). Just theorizing here, but it could be that the system hasn't warned you again since those first couple of times because the temps haven't climbed above a certain threshold since the last warning.

2). Does the 'klunk' always happen around a certain type of corner (i.e., only turning left, only turning right, only at slow speeds, etc.)? When it doesn't happen while turning, can you zero in on any conditions that cause it (acceleration/braking, speed, etc.)? Depending on your answer, it does sound like a potential suspension issue (I thought strut at first, too) -- but that's not definitive. Take a look at the left rear strut when you get a chance, and check for signs of fluid leakage. Did you buy the car new or used, and is it under warranty?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 02:29 PM   #5
midwest 340xi 6sp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi

Quote:

Car will warn you with a chime when the weather dips to 37 degrees or below..

Clunk? don't have it on my M235xi. Do you have LSD?
      11-24-2015, 02:36 PM   #6
Luminous
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest M235i
Quote:

Car will warn you with a chime when the weather dips to 37 degrees or below..

Clunk? don't have it on my M235xi. Do you have LSD?
I can confirm the chime at 37 degrees Fahrenheit, all my BMWs have done that. I think it's supposed to warn you about potentially slippery roads.

2015 SO M3 6MT

2015 BSM M235xi
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 02:57 PM   #7
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
I can confirm the chime at 37 degrees Fahrenheit, all my BMWs have done that. I think it's supposed to warn you about potentially slippery roads.
It is actually a black ice warning when you start your car at 37 degrees or below.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 04:32 PM   #8
shark715
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 50i, '16 M235xi vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
It is actually a black ice warning when you start your car at 37 degrees or below.
Yep, our X5 and Mini do the same.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 04:38 PM   #9
geep81
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
2). Does the 'klunk' always happen around a certain type of corner (i.e., only turning left, only turning right, only at slow speeds, etc.)? When it doesn't happen while turning, can you zero in on any conditions that cause it (acceleration/braking, speed, etc.)? Depending on your answer, it does sound like a potential suspension issue (I thought strut at first, too) -- but that's not definitive. Take a look at the left rear strut when you get a chance, and check for signs of fluid leakage. Did you buy the car new or used, and is it under warranty?
The clunk does seem to mainly come from the rear drivers side, when I am making a left turn at speed/not moving really slowly. It is however not an "everytime I turn" problem, it's only sometimes.

The car is brand new and under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 04:40 PM   #10
geep81
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Thanks for clarifying! Maybe it was confused, because today it was colder than the previous days, but I didn't get a chime! Thanks, I will cross that question off my list.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 04:52 PM   #11
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
The clunk does seem to mainly come from the rear drivers side, when I am making a left turn at speed/not moving really slowly. It is however not an "everytime I turn" problem, it's only sometimes.

The car is brand new and under warranty.
When you're making a left turn? The right side of the car is under load during that kind of turn, so if the noise is coming from the left side of the car, that's a little unusual.

Have the dealer look at it. Could still be the suspension. Maybe a spring stop (used to keep the suspension from bottoming out as the car's transported from factory to dealer) wasn't removed from the car?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 04:52 PM   #12
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

Yes, the first question is covered in the user's manual. You can access that either in the iDrive menu or in paperback in the glovebox. Black ice warning.

As for the thump noise I would take your car in and explain to the Service Advisor what is going on. Calling ahead of time usually will get you a dedicated time slot and you can ask for a loaner. If it's the rear strut then yes it will be covered under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 05:01 PM   #13
m235iRx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM m235i

I had a similar problem with the clunk noise. Happened at lower speeds when I let go of the gas and the car jerked. The dealership was able to reproduce the sound whenever the reversed the car and went forward. They replaced my drive axles and now I'm without any clunk! Car drives better in my opinion after the fix.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 04:13 PM   #14
geep81
Private First Class
Rep

Short update: dealer heard the noise, they are investigating. Day 2 without my car. I will hear from them when they know more.
Appreciate 0