THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing Headrest Issue

02-06-2016, 02:49 PM   #1
semclane
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i - Dinan Suspension

Headrest Issue

Wondering if anyone else has had a problem like this:

Early last March, after my first autocross in my M235i, I found that with a helmet on the headrest pushed my head forward and down uncomfortably. My solution at the time was to turn the headrest around like I had done in the past on other (non-BMW) cars. The headrest "rails" looked like they were interchangeable and it would be OK. Unfortunately the headrest jammed partway in. I wouldn't go in far enough, and I couldn't get it back out. With my son's help we tried all variations of pulling and rocking it back and forth but it wouldn't budge.

Over the past 9 months I have had two of my local BMW independent shops look at it when the car was in for other things (P3Cars Gauge install and a 5000 mile oil change) and neither of them could get it to budge. this week I finally got to the point of my first "official" BMW service and asked the dealership service department to see if they could fix it. They managed to fix it (and didn't charge me for it). They had to remove the seat from the car and disassemble the seat back to fix it. Their advice was to not try turning the headrest around but rather, I could just remove it.

That solution seems OK for auto crossing but I'm not thrilled about running without a headrest for track days. Has anyone else experienced this issue, and if so, have you found an acceptable solution?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 08:49 PM   #2
NEUE02
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by semclane View Post
Wondering if anyone else has had a problem like this:

Early last March, after my first autocross in my M235i, I found that with a helmet on the headrest pushed my head forward and down uncomfortably. My solution at the time was to turn the headrest around like I had done in the past on other (non-BMW) cars. The headrest "rails" looked like they were interchangeable and it would be OK. Unfortunately the headrest jammed partway in. I wouldn't go in far enough, and I couldn't get it back out. With my son's help we tried all variations of pulling and rocking it back and forth but it wouldn't budge.

Over the past 9 months I have had two of my local BMW independent shops look at it when the car was in for other things (P3Cars Gauge install and a 5000 mile oil change) and neither of them could get it to budge. this week I finally got to the point of my first "official" BMW service and asked the dealership service department to see if they could fix it. They managed to fix it (and didn't charge me for it). They had to remove the seat from the car and disassemble the seat back to fix it. Their advice was to not try turning the headrest around but rather, I could just remove it.

That solution seems OK for auto crossing but I'm not thrilled about running without a headrest for track days. Has anyone else experienced this issue, and if so, have you found an acceptable solution?
You would absolutely NOT be allowed to run without a headrest in ANY track events that I have ever been part of. Nor would I want to. Need to find a solution for your own safety.

What have you done to alter seat position thus far? I've had a similar issue in a previous track car and I just manipulated the angles a bit to find an acceptable compromise.
      02-07-2016, 11:05 AM   #3
semclane
Private
Rep

Thanks. I was planning on fiddling with the seat adjustments at the next autocross event to see if I could find an acceptable position. Up to now I have just been leaving the seat in my normal comfortable street driving position because once the headrest was turned backward the problem of headrest vs helmet was gone.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 09:11 PM   #4
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

I had an upholstery shop trim mine to indent for a helmet, sick of the headrest pushing my neck forward.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 11:28 AM   #5
semclane
Private
Rep

Pparana: I hand't thought of that solution. I have an autocross this weekend and am going to try to solve the problem with seat adjustments (seem to have found a good compromise in the garage but need to try it for real). If that doesn't work I may try the upholstery shop approach
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 04:46 PM   #6
semclane
Private
Rep

OK - found a seat position that was "acceptable" with respect to helmet vs headrest. Lower and reclined more than I am used to. At least OK for auto crossing. May find out different when I get to a HPDE.
Appreciate 0