THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Keyless Lawsuit

08-27-2015, 01:52 PM   #1
tccox
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Msport

Garage List
Keyless Lawsuit

Are there folks so stupid that they don't know how to operate a push button ?? That they don't notice there engine is still running ?????

From ABC News
According to the suit, filed in Los Angeles Federal Court on behalf of keyless car drivers Wednesday, there have been at least 13 deaths -- and a number of close calls -- from carbon monoxide poisoning after consumers failed to manually shut off their engines. The suit claims, “Reasonable drivers mistakenly believe that removing the Keyless Fob from the vehicle turns off the engine.”

Keyless cars allow drivers to start their engines without inserting a key into the ignition switch, but instead pressing a start/stop button. To shut off the car, they must manually press the button again.

The lawsuit claims the defendants -- Toyota, Ford, Nissan, Honda, GM, BMW, Volkswagen, Bentley, Mercedes-Benz, Hyundai and Kia -- knew or should have known of these risks. Yet according to the suit, they allegedly sold keyless fobs “without instituting adequate safeguards, warnings, or other safety features,” including a relatively inexpensive auto-off feature that automatically switches the engine off if the car is left unattended.
      08-27-2015, 01:57 PM   #2
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

I'm proud to be an American in most respects.

Our culture of litigiosity is not one of them.

Appreciate 1
      08-27-2015, 01:59 PM   #3
Luminous
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by tccox
Are there folks so stupid that they don't know how to operate a push button ?? That they don't notice there engine is still running ?????

From ABC News
According to the suit, filed in Los Angeles Federal Court on behalf of keyless car drivers Wednesday, there have been at least 13 deaths -- and a number of close calls -- from carbon monoxide poisoning after consumers failed to manually shut off their engines. The suit claims, “Reasonable drivers mistakenly believe that removing the Keyless Fob from the vehicle turns off the engine.”

Keyless cars allow drivers to start their engines without inserting a key into the ignition switch, but instead pressing a start/stop button. To shut off the car, they must manually press the button again.

The lawsuit claims the defendants -- Toyota, Ford, Nissan, Honda, GM, BMW, Volkswagen, Bentley, Mercedes-Benz, Hyundai and Kia -- knew or should have known of these risks. Yet according to the suit, they allegedly sold keyless fobs “without instituting adequate safeguards, warnings, or other safety features,” including a relatively inexpensive auto-off feature that automatically switches the engine off if the car is left unattended.
Wow, unbelievable!

2015 SO M3 6MT

2015 BSM M235xi
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 02:04 PM   #4
Merc for hire
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

How could they possibility die? Do people live in the garage along with their cars?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 02:22 PM   #5
Zooks527
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi / 2005 Tacoma 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc for hire View Post
How could they possibility die? Do people live in the garage along with their cars?
Don't know about where you live, but lots of places in MA have garages under a portion of the living space of the home.

Saw the lawyer last night on TV. He was nattering on about how the cars need to automatically turn themselves off 15 seconds after the key leaves. That sure would have teed off my wife when I left her in the car with the AC on during a hot sunny day while I ran into the store for 5 minutes.

Let's be real. This is simply a scam to allow a law firm to suckle at that sweet, sweet class action tit. The lawyers will get multimillions, the class representative will get the value of his car, the rest of us will get a coupon good for a discount on our next purchase.

Prior 40 years: 67 BelAir wagon / 68 LeMans Tempest / 70 Mustang Mach 1 / 72 El Dorado / 78 Corvette / 81 Subaru GL wagon 4WD / 83 s10 Blazer 4x4 / 85 Bronco 4x4 / 96 Bronco 4x4 / 04 Passat 4mo / 09 BMW 335xi
Appreciate 1
      08-27-2015, 02:28 PM   #6
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
1) The lawyers will get multimillions,
2) the class representative will get the value of his car,
3) the rest of us will get a coupon good for a discount on our next purchase.
No. 1 will happen. Nos. 2 and 3 don't have a snowball's chance in hell of happening. Procedures for using keyless systems are clearly stated in manuals. It's the purchaser's fault for not reading this language -- just as it's a lawbreaker's fault for breaking a law despite never having read the actual law. Ignorance is not a defense when the information is readily available.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 02:34 PM   #7
jtzako
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 228i M-Sport

I have gotten out of my car while its still running after having pressed the button but not hard enough to shut the car off. It is pretty quiet and easy to not notice the car is still running, especially if the radio is on.

However, the comfort access wont lock my car if the car is still running, so that is one preventative measure.

I havent tried to walk away to see if/when the car will shut off though.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 03:03 PM   #8
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Sounds like someone's trying to sue Darwin.

I wonder how many of these deaths involved people driving with headphones on? I see that all the time and it's beyond stupid and ridiculous. I could see them getting out of the car, listening to whatever shit is so important and either not hearing their car or just not paying attention.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 03:10 PM   #9
isthar
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i xDrive

euh...

okay who wants to sue bmw because spraying water onto the door handle unlocks it if the keyfob is nearby?
      08-27-2015, 03:22 PM   #10
Xiaoxi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a Miata

I think the keyless system should stay as is and continue to assist in refining the gene pool a bit.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 03:38 PM   #11
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
Being in SoCal, I wonder if I'm in it automatically . Kidding aside, are you friggin kidding me??? Anyone who's listed as a plaintiff should have their license immediately revoked and given a bus pass.

Dumbasses.
      08-27-2015, 03:42 PM   #12
jtzako
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Sounds like someone's trying to sue Darwin.

I wonder how many of these deaths involved people driving with headphones on? I see that all the time and it's beyond stupid and ridiculous. I could see them getting out of the car, listening to whatever shit is so important and either not hearing their car or just not paying attention.
I'd be more concerned with people who live in condo/apartment homes that have attached garages. In those cases a careless neighbor could cause problems for everyone in the building.

As for driving w/ headphones. I've always thought that was a bad idea. You cant hear emergency vehicles well enough, nor can you hear other cars horns near you well enough to take action when necessary. Having something loud in your ears is also a distraction similar to talking on a cellphone and not a good idea.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 03:55 PM   #13
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtzako View Post
I'd be more concerned with people who live in condo/apartment homes that have attached garages. In those cases a careless neighbor could cause problems for everyone in the building.

As for driving w/ headphones. I've always thought that was a bad idea. You cant hear emergency vehicles well enough, nor can you hear other cars horns near you well enough to take action when necessary. Having something loud in your ears is also a distraction similar to talking on a cellphone and not a good idea.

Not to mention illegal in Calif. Not that anyone pays attention to emergency vehicles coming towards or from behind them to move over anyway...
      08-27-2015, 04:00 PM   #14
uberspeed
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
I'm proud to be an American in most respects.

Our culture of litigiosity is not one of them.

Wholeheartedly concur, sir. I believe it was Ron White that said "let's change the name from the running of the bulls to the thinning of the herd." These folks shouldn't be allowed to drive and shame on the folks that gave this suit credence so it may be heard. Family law lawyers may all burn in hell, these folks aren't too far off and should probably follow, IMO.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 04:03 PM   #15
shark715
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 50i, '16 M235xi vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
No. 1 will happen. Nos. 2 and 3 don't have a snowball's chance in hell of happening. Procedures for using keyless systems are clearly stated in manuals. It's the purchaser's fault for not reading this language -- just as it's a lawbreaker's fault for breaking a law despite never having read the actual law. Ignorance is not a defense when the information is readily available.
Oh, you might be surprised about #2 and #3. Plaintiff's attorney might argue that the manufacturer knows or should have known that many owners don't read the manuals and that the manufacturer should have done more than just mention it in the manual, especially given the consequences. Could the attorney convince a jury of that? Maybe, maybe not, but as most attorneys would likely tell you, this probably has settlement value. I'm not suggesting it's fair, but just stating the realities of our legal system.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 06:10 PM   #16
Luminous
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi
I think the keyless system should stay as is and continue to assist in refining the gene pool a bit.
^ lol, agreed.

2015 SO M3 6MT

2015 BSM M235xi
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 06:45 PM   #17
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Rapidly from A to B

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi
Too funny. +1
      08-27-2015, 06:58 PM   #18
Pyewacket69
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

The 2 tenets of the U.S. Legal system...

1-If something bad happens to me, it wasn't my fault, but someone else's fault.

2-Only a large sum of money will rectify my being wronged...
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 07:03 PM   #19
jtzako
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewacket69 View Post
The 2 tenets of the U.S. Legal system...

1-If something bad happens to me, it wasn't my fault, but someone else's fault.

2-Only a large sum of money will rectify my being wronged...
Definitely seems that way.. Oh, I tripped on a speed bump, must be someone else's fault.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 07:27 PM   #20
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by tccox View Post

From ABC News

I'm not a fan of lawsuits especially but in all fairness, it's a stupid system in my humble opinion. To solve what problem? That it's too hard for people to stick the key in the slot to start a 3500 lb moving machine? There are all sorts of scenarios that are unintended for this really lame luxury. For example, you are a woman driving your snazzy bmw in a dark parking structure. You make it safely to your car and lock the door but the key is in the proximity. Someone touches the handle and bam, door unlocks for the guy stalking you? Or you are standing next to your car talking to a friend, you turn off your car and take the fob and while your back is turned, your 2 year old thinks it's fun to hit the start button and put the car in R for RACE mode and push the gas.

I know these are stretches but this system has opened up more risks than the "problem" it supposedly solved. You see at dealerships now when they lock the keys in keyboxes in the window but someone can touch the door handle and it unlocks it. I have smart people like my friend drive to the airport, give his wife a hug and head into the terminal. the wife gets in the car as the curb cop yells to her to get moving and he still has the key in his pocket because you don't need it in the slot. Happens all the time. This was another lame gadget to solve a problem no one ever asked to be fixed.

so while I agree with everyone that lawsuits are lame, I don't care if this stupid system goes away. That's my 2 cents worth.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 07:41 PM   #21
jtzako
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
I'm not a fan of lawsuits especially but in all fairness, it's a stupid system in my humble opinion. To solve what problem? That it's too hard for people to stick the key in the slot to start a 3500 lb moving machine? There are all sorts of scenarios that are unintended for this really lame luxury. For example, you are a woman driving your snazzy bmw in a dark parking structure. You make it safely to your car and lock the door but the key is in the proximity. Someone touches the handle and bam, door unlocks for the guy stalking you? Or you are standing next to your car talking to a friend, you turn off your car and take the fob and while your back is turned, your 2 year old thinks it's fun to hit the start button and put the car in R for RACE mode and push the gas.

I know these are stretches but this system has opened up more risks than the "problem" it supposedly solved. You see at dealerships now when they lock the keys in keyboxes in the window but someone can touch the door handle and it unlocks it. I have smart people like my friend drive to the airport, give his wife a hug and head into the terminal. the wife gets in the car as the curb cop yells to her to get moving and he still has the key in his pocket because you don't need it in the slot. Happens all the time. This was another lame gadget to solve a problem no one ever asked to be fixed.

so while I agree with everyone that lawsuits are lame, I don't care if this stupid system goes away. That's my 2 cents worth.
I like not having to take a key fob out of my pocket but the bigger bonus for me, being a tall person, is to not having keys/fob hitting my leg constantly as I drive. Its a small thing, but its annoying.

Things like the comfort access safety issue could be resolved by making it not work if the key fob is inside the car (car running, or not running).
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 07:46 PM   #22
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtzako View Post
I have gotten out of my car while its still running after having pressed the button but not hard enough to shut the car off. It is pretty quiet and easy to not notice the car is still running, especially if the radio is on.

However, the comfort access wont lock my car if the car is still running, so that is one preventative measure.

I havent tried to walk away to see if/when the car will shut off though.
The comfort access wont lock the car even if the engine is not running if the key fob is in the car. The trunk also will not close if the key is inside the trunk, running or not. If you walk away with the key and the car is running, it will sound a chime and a warning that "key has left the vehicle, restart not possible", then it will continue to run until you turn it off, or it runs out of gas, or gets stolen.
Appreciate 0