THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Keyless Lawsuit

08-30-2015, 07:52 AM   #45
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Mineral White/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.a.f View Post
I do that almost every time and never noticed the behavior you describe (can't possibly happen with fuel injected engines...). The engine nicely shuts down, then (0.5 to 1 second later) the transmission switches to "P"
When it has happened I probably eased up on the brake I bet. That would cause it to shudder.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 01:21 PM   #46
Dattebayo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark715 View Post
I would prefer that that the attorneys stick to their chosen profession versus trying to play automotive engineer.

With what they are suggesting, consider the scenario where you are out running errands with your wife, GF, partner, etc., you happen to be the one driving, and they happen to be the one carrying the keyfob. You drop them off to run into a store while you go run a different errand down the street.

With the way CAS works today, as they walk away from the car you will get a message that the keyfob is out of range (or a similar message), which is your warning not to shut the car off as you won't be able to re-start it. This scenario has happened to me on more than one occasion.

I, for one, don't want the car deciding when it's going to shut itself off, potentially leaving me stranded.

Similar scenario when the battery in your keyfob runs out of power, although in my experience with our X5 you do get repeated warnings that the battery is failing and needs replacement.

If cruise control were just coming to market today, I could see similar lawsuits with attorneys claiming that the manufacturers should have known that some owners did not understand that the car would not stop itself.

My answer is the same as others here have indicated...if you are incapable of understanding and remembering that, then it's likely you are not capable of correctly operating a vehicle without endangering everyone else on the road.
Actually one of the incidents happened with my aunt's Mercedes Benz. I was dropped her off to get tables for the family, and he had the key FOB in her purse and when I got far enough away, the car just died.
      08-30-2015, 01:52 PM   #47
shark715
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 50i, '16 M235xi vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dattebayo View Post
Actually one of the incidents happened with my aunt's Mercedes Benz. I was dropped her off to get tables for the family, and he had the key FOB in her purse and when I got far enough away, the car just died.
Wow, talk about dangerous! To me that's a far more serious concern versus someone forgetting to turn off their engine. What if that happened as you were pulling out onto the highway in front of an 18 wheeler?
Appreciate 0