THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum E82 135i to M235i - initial owner review

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-17-2014, 12:50 PM   #45
dmboone25
Major General
dmboone25's Avatar
United_States
915
Rep
7,414
Posts

Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP/DUC M1200S
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [0.00]
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWil335i View Post
Central Indiana? Any chance of seeing this thing at Cars and Coffee in the near future?
If you tell me where, hell yes - my whole family lives in Center Grove, but I am up in Warsaw (west of Fort Wayne).
__________________
Current - 2015 981 Cayman S
Past rides: 2014 F22 M235 - MT, CWP / 2011 E82 135 - LBM, N55, DCT / 2008 E82 135 - AW, N54, MT
2007 E92 328 - JB, N52, MT, ZSP (traded in for 135)
2007 E92 328 - JB, N52, MT (retired by a drunk driver)
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 12:52 PM   #46
Falafel Combo
I can't heel toe!
Falafel Combo's Avatar
United_States
2054
Rep
6,235
Posts

Drives: X5 xDrive50i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New England

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by five3three View Post
There is no other MY out yet for the M235i. It just got released in March to dealers as 2014.

My question was directed at Sedan_Clan. He drives an f30 335i.
__________________
2015 ZF8 f15 X5 M-Sport
2015 6MT f80 M3
2013 6MT f30 335i M-Sport
2012 6MT e92 M3 ZCP
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 01:16 PM   #47
Bahuba
Private First Class
Bahuba's Avatar
10
Rep
178
Posts

Drives: MR 2014 M235i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ottawa, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
Yes, I think that's a great way to put it.

If you are used to an E82 135, this will feel "better" in many ways. It will feel different in others. For me, overall the differences are a net positive, with a few small gripes (lack of temp gauge, huge gas door cover).

....
BTW good unbiased review. That's how I felt when comparing my 135 to the M235 that I test drove twice. It's more evolution than revolution. But there was one characteristic, the tail happy happiness of the 1er, (I used the word "twitchy") that I actually like in the 1er that was less apparent in the 2er. I would attribute that to the 2er's longer wheelbase and suspension. But then again, I had a salesperson with me so I didn't really have the opportunity to push it as hard as I would've liked.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 01:26 PM   #48
dmboone25
Major General
dmboone25's Avatar
United_States
915
Rep
7,414
Posts

Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP/DUC M1200S
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [0.00]
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahuba View Post
BTW good unbiased review. That's how I felt when comparing my 135 to the M235 that I test drove twice. It's more evolution than revolution. But there was one characteristic, the tail happy happiness of the 1er, (I used the word "twitchy") that I actually like in the 1er that was less apparent in the 2er. I would attribute that to the 2er's longer wheelbase and suspension. But then again, I had a salesperson with me so I didn't really have the opportunity to push it as hard as I would've liked.
Evolution is a great way to put it - there are many things that subjectively feel like they're a nice tick upwards for sure.

The twitch/tail happy is fun sure - but it seems to get "out of hand" more quickly for me in the 1er. Perhaps you're just a better driver than me

As far as the test drive goes, after driving around quite a bit for two days, I have to admit that I learned very little in my limited 5 mile initial drive. You either need 15 solid minutes without anyone in the car to bother you OR you need a longer drive than I had, with the combo of town, interstate, and back/curvy roads. That's where I was able to start making some generalizations between the two...
__________________
Current - 2015 981 Cayman S
Past rides: 2014 F22 M235 - MT, CWP / 2011 E82 135 - LBM, N55, DCT / 2008 E82 135 - AW, N54, MT
2007 E92 328 - JB, N52, MT, ZSP (traded in for 135)
2007 E92 328 - JB, N52, MT (retired by a drunk driver)
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 02:03 PM   #49
hyperboost
Captain
hyperboost's Avatar
36
Rep
789
Posts

Drives: M3, 535XI Msport
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

nice review~
Darker colors on this chassis look better
__________________
F80 YMB M3 DD|16 RS7 Stock|16 Range Rover SC'ed|12 GTR Stock|F10 535XI Msport AW - Sold|E92 M3 MR exported to China |E93 M3 AW sold |E46 M3 IR ESS SC'ed with loads of mods|E46 M3 TiAg Track weapon Moton CS suspention - sold|Bentley Continental Mulliner package - sold|87 944 NA winter beater - gone|E39 540iA - sold|10 Cayman|04 G35 Turbo'ed 380rwhp - sold|03 350Z SC'ed - Sold|11 Mustang GT SC'ed 513rwhp - sold|AW SC'ed E92 M3 - gone
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 02:03 PM   #50
luvthestck
First Lieutenant
16
Rep
390
Posts

Drives: 11'MDX,14'750lix,16'981 GTS
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Derbyland

iTrader: (0)

Thanks for the review.I was looking for just this.I was wondering if I did a wrong thing turning my 135 in a few months ago.It looks like I took a wise decision by not buying out my lease
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 02:43 PM   #51
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
925
Rep
3,288
Posts

Drives: 2013 M3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Vero Beach, FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jddssc121 View Post
awesome review.

I must have missed the memo on the lack of Oil temp gauge. Sorry to say that's a deal breaker for me. It's annoying but acceptable that my E70 does not have it.... but not OK at all on a car that many will want to use for a weekend track run.....

I'll keep my F30 335 MSport I guess. Bummer, I was excited about this car.
So the lack of an oil temp gauge has put you off this car? That seems sensible
__________________
His: 2013 ///M3 - Interlagos Blue Black M-DCT
Hers: 2013 X3 28i - N20 Mineral Silver / Sand Beige / Premium, Tech
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 02:46 PM   #52
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
925
Rep
3,288
Posts

Drives: 2013 M3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Vero Beach, FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Threads like these are why I visit automotive forums. Great insights from someone with good perspective. Thanks a bunch!
__________________
His: 2013 ///M3 - Interlagos Blue Black M-DCT
Hers: 2013 X3 28i - N20 Mineral Silver / Sand Beige / Premium, Tech
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 02:47 PM   #53
dmboone25
Major General
dmboone25's Avatar
United_States
915
Rep
7,414
Posts

Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP/DUC M1200S
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [0.00]
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthestck View Post
Thanks for the review.I was looking for just this.I was wondering if I did a wrong thing turning my 135 in a few months ago.It looks like I took a wise decision by not buying out my lease
I think there are going to be plenty of people that prefer their existing 135 over the M235 - for the same reasons I like the new car better, just in the other direction.

One other thing I didnt allude to very well in my initial review was how "dated" the front of the 135 looked in comparison to the M235. That, combined with the bug eyes - it's just no comparison, IMO, on the looks.

Also, if you change your mind and want an E82 in the future, there are lots of them out there for sale. Shouldn't be too hard to pick one back up if that's what you decide at some point in the future.
__________________
Current - 2015 981 Cayman S
Past rides: 2014 F22 M235 - MT, CWP / 2011 E82 135 - LBM, N55, DCT / 2008 E82 135 - AW, N54, MT
2007 E92 328 - JB, N52, MT, ZSP (traded in for 135)
2007 E92 328 - JB, N52, MT (retired by a drunk driver)
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 02:51 PM   #54
dmboone25
Major General
dmboone25's Avatar
United_States
915
Rep
7,414
Posts

Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP/DUC M1200S
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [0.00]
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
Threads like these are why I visit automotive forums. Great insights from someone with good perspective. Thanks a bunch!
I completely agree - I actually made a list from all of the different reviews that had been posted before I picked up my M235. They gave me many good things to think about as I was driving the cars back to back, and I tried to piece all of those things together in my summary.

And while the opinions or conclusions can be very subjective, that's the whole point, right? So people that share a passion can share those viewpoints with others, and have good-natured debates about different perspectives. The forum is great for that.
__________________
Current - 2015 981 Cayman S
Past rides: 2014 F22 M235 - MT, CWP / 2011 E82 135 - LBM, N55, DCT / 2008 E82 135 - AW, N54, MT
2007 E92 328 - JB, N52, MT, ZSP (traded in for 135)
2007 E92 328 - JB, N52, MT (retired by a drunk driver)
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 02:52 PM   #55
jddssc121
Second Lieutenant
4
Rep
267
Posts

Drives: vroom
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf_234 View Post
Come on.. I mean I agree ya it sucks. but dealbreaker.. no. You know more or less when the car is warm, then you just drive the hell out of it and have fun. Just get the technology package which makes the temp available on the cluster if it is a huge deal to you. In the broad scheme of things, the M235i is a very, very good bmw. in my opinion. Might be one of my favorite they have made.
ah, i didn't know that the tech package made it available on the cluster. I have a 2013 F30 w/ tech and it doesn't do that.... as long it's available somewhere for me to see, i'm happy. doesn't have to be a fixed gauge.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 02:53 PM   #56
jddssc121
Second Lieutenant
4
Rep
267
Posts

Drives: vroom
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
So the lack of an oil temp gauge has put you off this car? That seems sensible
sensible for me. Not speaking for you
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 02:57 PM   #57
MZWIE
Major
111
Rep
1,406
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: GEORGIA

iTrader: (0)

I'm always fascinated by the difference in the "eye of the beholder". I'm not putting down the OP, but when I looked at the cars side by side I had the opposite reaction to the styling.

The 2 seems bland and the 1 agressive. Seems that the designers wanted a car that was more mainstream in looks. The 1 IMHO made a "statement". Not look at me, but more of I'm different without excuses. One of the reasons I like it.

The 235 I drove belongs to the sales manager of the local dealer so I did drive it hard.

For those who did not have a 135 I think they will be very pleased with the 2. For some of us, there is just not enough "evolution" to warrant a change. Frankly compared to my 135 (modded of course) the 2 did not wow me so that I want to run out and buy one.


So, anyway, those our my musings.....that's all.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 03:02 PM   #58
dmboone25
Major General
dmboone25's Avatar
United_States
915
Rep
7,414
Posts

Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP/DUC M1200S
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [0.00]
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jddssc121 View Post
ah, i didn't know that the tech package made it available on the cluster. I have a 2013 F30 w/ tech and it doesn't do that.... as long it's available somewhere for me to see, i'm happy. doesn't have to be a fixed gauge.
Here is a pic of the extended cluster with the Temp menu pulled up:
Attached Images
 
__________________
Current - 2015 981 Cayman S
Past rides: 2014 F22 M235 - MT, CWP / 2011 E82 135 - LBM, N55, DCT / 2008 E82 135 - AW, N54, MT
2007 E92 328 - JB, N52, MT, ZSP (traded in for 135)
2007 E92 328 - JB, N52, MT (retired by a drunk driver)
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 03:40 PM   #59
Sedan_Clan
Olympic Lifting Junkie
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
1362
Rep
13,646
Posts

Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

iTrader: (26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinweiss 335i View Post
Is it correct that your car is a 2014 MY?
Correct!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 04:02 PM   #60
Falafel Combo
I can't heel toe!
Falafel Combo's Avatar
United_States
2054
Rep
6,235
Posts

Drives: X5 xDrive50i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New England

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Correct!

Makes sense. The '14 MY f30 has the updated software (including major improvements in steering), as do the f32 and f22.
__________________
2015 ZF8 f15 X5 M-Sport
2015 6MT f80 M3
2013 6MT f30 335i M-Sport
2012 6MT e92 M3 ZCP
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 04:20 PM   #61
KEI7
First Lieutenant
KEI7's Avatar
Japan
17
Rep
332
Posts

Drives: E61
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tokyo

iTrader: (0)

Nice write up!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 04:37 PM   #62
jddssc121
Second Lieutenant
4
Rep
267
Posts

Drives: vroom
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinweiss 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Correct!

Makes sense. The '14 MY f30 has the updated software (including major improvements in steering), as do the f32 and f22.
Is it possible to get those steering changes updated on a 2013??
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 05:03 PM   #63
cedavis34
Private
1
Rep
54
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Apr 2008

iTrader: (0)

Dan (I'm pretty sure it's Dan...)

I was eating at the Jimmy John's in Warsaw today when you went through. It's funny, as I was reading the thread, I kept thinking more and more it was you that I saw, then you finally said you were at Jimmy John's.

I met you years ago at an AutoX in Indy, at the old stadium on 10th or 16th or whatever. At the time I was living in Greensburg / Shelbyville, but as of January I moved up to Warsaw. Sounds like I'll be seeing you about town more often! The car certainly looked great. You must have just gotten it because it was too clean to have been driving around town for long!

There's at least 1 1M coupe in town too right?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 05:15 PM   #64
crawfordbay
First Lieutenant
crawfordbay's Avatar
United_States
39
Rep
312
Posts

Drives: M235i
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Hilton Head Island, SC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Great review. Question for you (and anyone else who has taken delivery.) Is the cargo net in the trunk an optional accessory on the M235i or does it come standard?

Trivial thing I know, but it was on my mind as I wait for mine.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 05:59 PM   #65
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
812
Rep
4,693
Posts

Drives: L'Orange
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Brooklyn, NYC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [4.62]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e34m5
I'm always fascinated by the difference in the "eye of the beholder". I'm not putting down the OP, but when I looked at the cars side by side I had the opposite reaction to the styling.

The 2 seems bland and the 1 agressive. Seems that the designers wanted a car that was more mainstream in looks. The 1 IMHO made a "statement". Not look at me, but more of I'm different without excuses. One of the reasons I like it.

The 235 I drove belongs to the sales manager of the local dealer so I did drive it hard.

For those who did not have a 135 I think they will be very pleased with the 2. For some of us, there is just not enough "evolution" to warrant a change. Frankly compared to my 135 (modded of course) the 2 did not wow me so that I want to run out and buy one.


So, anyway, those our my musings.....that's all.
exactly how I feel. I've been a long time admirer of the E82 long before I got one a few months ago-----mainly because it looks like an angry, aggressive, classic bulldog planted coupe. Thought the 2er looks very soft in comparison if I'm honest. I hope they fix the looks for the M2.

That being said....I respect Dmboone's review. It seems fair and one of the better reviews I've read of the new car. He is also a two time 1er owner and he deserves the right to upgrade to the latest iteration!! thanks for your nice review sir! congrats on your new ride and enjoy it!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 06:00 PM   #66
dmboone25
Major General
dmboone25's Avatar
United_States
915
Rep
7,414
Posts

Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP/DUC M1200S
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [0.00]
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedavis34 View Post
Dan (I'm pretty sure it's Dan...)

I was eating at the Jimmy John's in Warsaw today when you went through. It's funny, as I was reading the thread, I kept thinking more and more it was you that I saw, then you finally said you were at Jimmy John's.

I met you years ago at an AutoX in Indy, at the old stadium on 10th or 16th or whatever. At the time I was living in Greensburg / Shelbyville, but as of January I moved up to Warsaw. Sounds like I'll be seeing you about town more often! The car certainly looked great. You must have just gotten it because it was too clean to have been driving around town for long!

There's at least 1 1M coupe in town too right?
Close - it's David.

And yes, I remember you - my dad used to run his Z4MC at the old Bush stadium. Those were fun times.

And yes, I know of one VO 1M in town, really nice guy, but I forget his name - I always give him a hard time that his wheels are dirty.
__________________
Current - 2015 981 Cayman S
Past rides: 2014 F22 M235 - MT, CWP / 2011 E82 135 - LBM, N55, DCT / 2008 E82 135 - AW, N54, MT
2007 E92 328 - JB, N52, MT, ZSP (traded in for 135)
2007 E92 328 - JB, N52, MT (retired by a drunk driver)
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:02 PM.




2addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST