THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum LSD noob question

05-26-2014, 05:59 AM   #1
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: M235i

LSD noob question

I'm myself using an F10 xDrive for long distance trips mainly, but thinking of leasing the M235i as a second car with double role: a DD for my wifey, and a "true-bimmer" toy for myself Problem is, my wife has never driven RWD car before (not to mention a 320 HP one), so I'm concerned with potential inconvenience it might create for her, especially in winter and lots of snow we often have here... With FWD she's used to it's always easier to drive in the snow. On the other hand, for my own selfish purposes, I wouldn't like to make it an AWD car so xDrive is not what I want (although it would help my wife tremendously). Hence the question:

Will fitting the car with LSD (whose main purpose I know of course) also help avoid getting stuck on a slippery road by blocking the spinning wheel and increasing the torque (hence traction) on both rear wheels, or does LSD only do its job in curves at speed?
my RWD pirate & long-distance cruiser: 2015 M235i AT8, LSD
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 09:37 AM   #2
abp689
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi Wagon,330ZHP, 318Ti (MT)

To me, LSD is a big deal specifically for winter driving. We have a steep drive in Michigan. Not all FWD cars will make it up when the drive is slick. What generally happens, all power is transferred to one wheel, the car digs in, gets stuck and I have to pull it out. The RWD with LSD rolls right up the same hill.

Obviously not a scientific method (not accounting for other factors: tires, weight...).

So LSD is a sticking point for me; part of the reason why I am waiting to purchase until I hear about the Mustang GT reviews. While you can get a M235 port installed option, that puts my build around $50 vs $42 for a loaded GT which may be solid choice regardless of price.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 09:47 AM   #3
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep

Thanks for your answer; I'm glad there is a compromise between my selfish needs and my wife's "utilitarian" ones
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 10:25 AM   #4
abp689
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi Wagon,330ZHP, 318Ti (MT)

Great when it works out that way My wife learned to drive MT on my 330i, now she only wants a stick! And she did great with it in the snow.

My advice: You must buy a second set of rims with dedicated snow tires. The 330i did less than okay with all-seasons; it was dicey at times in the snow.

I then purchased a set of Blizzacks and it was a different car. I felt comfortable letting the wife drive it in the snow. Getting the LSD would add an additional margin of safety for you on the 235.

Then you can buy a sticky summer only tire the rest of the year. It's a win all year long!

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 03:04 PM   #5
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by abp689 View Post
Great when it works out that way My wife learned to drive MT on my 330i, now she only wants a stick! And she did great with it in the snow.

My advice: You must buy a second set of rims with dedicated snow tires. The 330i did less than okay with all-seasons; it was dicey at times in the snow.

I then purchased a set of Blizzacks and it was a different car. I felt comfortable letting the wife drive it in the snow. Getting the LSD would add an additional margin of safety for you on the 235.

Then you can buy a sticky summer only tire the rest of the year. It's a win all year long!

Good luck.
+1

BMWs come from Germany not Saudi Arabia. There are a million rear wheel drive cars in Germany where it snows or is cold most of the year and everyone is fine.

They also have narrow alpine roads, cobblestone, etc. The LSD obviously helps but an LSD won't do didly-poop with summer tires. Tires are the most important item.

Actually all wheel drive with summer tires won't help much either. Tires first, then LSD helps.

I remember driving up the mountain in my Toyota 4x4 when we hit snow. I got stuck with snazzy 31" off road tires and had to slide down the mountain out of the snow-line.

Tires, tires, tires! I hope that makes it clear.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 03:08 PM   #6
darkerosxx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by abp689 View Post
To me, LSD is a big deal specifically for winter driving. We have a steep drive in Michigan. Not all FWD cars will make it up when the drive is slick. What generally happens, all power is transferred to one wheel, the car digs in, gets stuck and I have to pull it out. The RWD with LSD rolls right up the same hill.

Obviously not a scientific method (not accounting for other factors: tires, weight...).

So LSD is a sticking point for me; part of the reason why I am waiting to purchase until I hear about the Mustang GT reviews. While you can get a M235 port installed option, that puts my build around $50 vs $42 for a loaded GT which may be solid choice regardless of price.
Wouldn't the traction control mode counter the digging in with one wheel? It turns that off. No snow in Louisiana, so I have no idea, but worth a shot.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 07:20 PM   #7
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
LSDs are a double-edge sword in the snow. I've owned a couple of BMWs so equipped, and the LSD DOES help in digging out slowly from deepish snow. But they can also bite, and bite hard at higher speeds. The problem is that if you give it a bit too much throttle, you will spin BOTH rear wheels, your directional stability goes right out the window, and you will spin the car. Especially on roads with a lot of camber, which is common here in Maine. For driving in snow, snow tires plus modern electronic traction control using the brakes to modulate wheelspin is far superior. Now on a racetrack, LSD all the way! But if you are driving such that you need an LSD on a public road, please stop.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 07:29 PM   #8
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

All of the suggestions for winter tires are spot-on. I've easily gotten through winters with rear wheel drive in Michigan, including our driveway hill, with Blizzak WS (studless - NOT the LM series). Michelin X-Ice xi3 are also outstanding. I'd save the money from LSD and just do the tires, as narrow a size as you can fit. For winter, skinny is better!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 08:55 PM   #9
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by krhodes1 View Post
LSDs are a double-edge sword in the snow. I've owned a couple of BMWs so equipped, and the LSD DOES help in digging out slowly from deepish snow. But they can also bite, and bite hard at higher speeds. The problem is that if you give it a bit too much throttle, you will spin BOTH rear wheels, your directional stability goes right out the window, and you will spin the car. Especially on roads with a lot of camber, which is common here in Maine. For driving in snow, snow tires plus modern electronic traction control using the brakes to modulate wheelspin is far superior. Now on a racetrack, LSD all the way! But if you are driving such that you need an LSD on a public road, please stop.

I 100% agree.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 04:15 AM   #10
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhodes1 View Post
Thanks for that info; do I take it correctly that this adverse effect of LSD at high speed is mitigated by DSC? If so, it's not a problem in the context of my wife using the car as her DD; she is not a fast driver and she will never switch DSC off (if anything, I might instruct her how to use DTC only to help with traction in the snow).
Appreciate 0