THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning NEW RELEASE: DINANTRONICS Elite (M240i)

03-26-2017, 03:32 PM   #89
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell1982 View Post
Ok, how about DynoJet reads higher then a Mustang...because they do read higher then most brand dyno's
Yes, the Dynojet will typically read 10% higher than a Mustang. And a Dynapack Dyno will typically read 10% higher than the Dynojet. It doesn't mean the numbers are wrong between these dynos, it's just the way the data gets reported.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 03:53 PM   #90
varkdriver
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

So they are all accurate?

Three different dynos measure three different outputs on the same engine and they are all accurate? They just "report the numbers differently"?

So there is not way to accurately measure an engine's output?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 11:48 PM   #91
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 C8 Corvette 1LT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by varkdriver View Post
Three different dynos measure three different outputs on the same engine and they are all accurate? They just "report the numbers differently"?

Could always pull out the motor and measure it on an engine dyno at the crank.
Appreciate 2
WolfGTI716.00
SCCThree813.00
      03-27-2017, 09:52 AM   #92
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by varkdriver View Post

Dynos are intended to be tools. You dyno the car stock. Make modifications and return to the same dyno to measure power gains/losses. Simple as that.

Dynojets are by far the most consistent dyno on the market in terms to spitting out numbers across machines. All a Dynojet does is the following:

1) Monitoring rpm throughout the run with an rpm pickup attached to a coil pack and spark plug wire.
2) Measures the time is takes to spin the weighted dyno drum compared to rpm. From this, the torque numbers are generated.
3) HP is then derived from the torque numbers through a basic equation.
4) The HP and torque numbers are then corrected to standard conditions.
5) Done.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 11:46 AM   #93
schnell1982
Captain
Rep
Drives: FAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Dynos are intended to be tools. You dyno the car stock. Make modifications and return to the same dyno to measure power gains/losses. Simple as that.

Dynojets are by far the most consistent dyno on the market in terms to spitting out numbers across machines. All a Dynojet does is the following:

1) Monitoring rpm throughout the run with an rpm pickup attached to a coil pack and spark plug wire.
2) Measures the time is takes to spin the weighted dyno drum compared to rpm. From this, the torque numbers are generated.
3) HP is then derived from the torque numbers through a basic equation.
4) The HP and torque numbers are then corrected to standard conditions.
5) Done.

That is true.
But I think the typical discussion and this one at hand is when someone posts "I just dyno'd my car and it made 500WHP"
As soon as someone asks what brand dyno this all comes about.
Or that same person goes to a different brand dyno and it produces 15%-20% less power then the first dyno because its not a Dyno Jet or whatever was used...
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 03:15 PM   #94
yaymitch
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS & 2022 RSQ8

Can we get this thread back on topic?
      04-03-2017, 04:45 PM   #95
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaymitch View Post
Can we get this thread back on topic?
Okay, here we go.

Had my Stage 1 installed this morning. Traffic down here is still pretty bad (okay, really bad), cannot get on to a road where I'm not behind a construction truck or a "snowbird" going shopping or an "Early-bird special at Mel's Diner.

That being the case, best I can is give first impression of tuner on the car w/ normal driving in "Comfort" w/ a couple of rolling accelerations from around 15 to 50 MPH.

Something I have noticed w/ my M240i, when in "comfort" and just a normal acceleration from a stop, the car will hesitate just a bit before getting going. Not a '"stumble" or a "lag", just a little hesitation. When in sport or even Comfort w/ the transmission set to M/S, this hesitation is gone. So obviously, there is something in those setting that eliminates the car's hesitation from a stop.

On the way to get the tuner installed I paid special attention to how the car performed with regular driving. Half throttle from a slow roll, etc.

After getting the tune, I started the car and it idled smoothly and quietly. Shifting to "D", and applying some gas, that slight hesitation I noticed before was gone. Pulled into traffic from a dead stop, and again, no hesitation. So tuner must have adjusted something to eliminate that hesitation even when car is set to "comfort and "drive". This is a good thing

Made a "U Turn" and went 1/2 pedal from about a 10 MPH roll and the car leapt forward. I was pretty surprised as I've done this before the tune and the car was pretty quick (again set to Comfort and tranny in "D"). However, with the tune, a very noticeable difference in acceleration and the way the car responded to the throttle. I mean very noticeable.

I attempted to find some road where I didn't have someone in front of me where I could try "Sport" and D/S from a stop or a slow roll, but only time I had open road ahead of me was when I got around traffic and was doing the speed limit. Any hard acceleration could put me in jail or w/ a huge fine. So I will save further reports for a later date.

All-in-all, tune is definitely noticeable even w/ the car set for "Comfort" and "Drive". In fact, a person could live w/ driving the car w/o "sport and "D/S" and still find the car to be plenty quick and responsive. Next time out will try some Interstate entrance ramp runs (providing I can find where I'm not behind a pick-up pulling a fifth-wheel back to Ohio or a dump truck loaded with fill for another Condo development going up).

So far, as is, a big for the Dinan Elite tune.

More will follow............................................ ..
Appreciate 3
      04-03-2017, 05:35 PM   #96
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M240i, AT, BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post
Okay, here we go...
...All-in-all, tune is definitely noticeable even w/ the car set for "Comfort" and "Drive". In fact, a person could live w/ driving the car w/o "sport and "D/S" and still find the car to be plenty quick and responsive. Next time out will try some Interstate entrance ramp runs (providing I can find where I'm not behind a pick-up pulling a fifth-wheel back to Ohio or a dump truck loaded with fill for another Condo development going up).

So far, as is, a big for the Dinan Elite tune.

More will follow............................................ ..
Congrats on the tune!
Glad to hear that it is noticeable, even in comfort/drive.
I also have that 'hesitation' you mention. Nice that the tune eliminates it!
I share your traffic misery...
Looking forward to hearing your impressions of Sport/Sport!
My 2017 M240i: MHD, xHP, Modded OE Intake, AA GESi 400 CPSI Cat DP, Dinan Mid-pipe, M Performance LSD & Rear Diffuser, BMS Exhaust Tips, Apex EC-7 Wheels, M-Tech Front Lip, iND Painted Mirror Caps, Smoked Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 05:23 PM   #97
SCCThree
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Anyone planning to hit the drag strip to do some tune on / tune off runs?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 05:35 PM   #98
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorOver View Post
It definitely requires a more measured throttle application or you will feel the traction control kick in. Bigger rubber is definitely in the cards. The question is now- is an LSD necessary especially if this is just stage 1? Some of the JB4 guys can comment here as well.

All public road time for me, so no 0-60 times.
You ain't wrong. I've been playing with mine and 1/2 / 3/4 throttle and I get traction control clicking on. At a 30-35 MPH roll and hard acceleration (not floored) and I get a nice rear tire squeak.

Hard acceleration (again not WOT) and the car really bangs the gears. Its a transformed car w/ the Dinan Stage 1. Around town I can be over over 60 MPH in a a couple of heartbeats just playing around.

Even in "Comfort: and "D" half pedal and the car flies. Sport mode / D/S and the car has a hair trigger. Touch the gas and the car responds. LOVE IT!!!!!

Coming out of a 2015 C7, I'm not seeing much difference in around town acceleration (C7 is clocked a 0-60 3.9), can't believe my M240i isn't anymore than a tick or two slower with the Dinan.. Only thing missing is the Chevy's V8 rumble and roar.

Actually not sure one can even utilize the extra power the Dinan provides over the stock B58 numbers (but I'm not bringing mine back anytime soon. )
Appreciate 3
fbsm743.00
RotorOver295.50
SCCThree813.00
      04-19-2017, 05:59 PM   #99
RotorOver
Newer 2er
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i (Sold)

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
It definitely requires a more measured throttle application or you will feel the traction control kick in. Bigger rubber is definitely in the cards. The question is now- is an LSD necessary especially if this is just stage 1? Some of the JB4 guys can comment here as well.

All public road time for me, so no 0-60 times.
You ain't wrong. I've been playing with mine and 1/2 / 3/4 throttle and I get traction control clicking on. At a 30-35 MPH roll and hard acceleration (not floored) and I get a nice rear tire squeak.

Hard acceleration (again not WOT) and the car really bangs the gears. Its a transformed car w/ the Dinan Stage 1. Around town I can be over over 60 MPH in a a couple of heartbeats just playing around.

Even in "Comfort: and "D" half pedal and the car flies. Sport mode / D/S and the car has a hair trigger. Touch the gas and the car responds. LOVE IT!!!!!

Coming out of a 2015 C7, I'm not seeing much difference in around town acceleration (C7 is clocked a 0-60 3.9), can't believe my M240i isn't anymore than a tick or two slower with the Dinan.. Only thing missing is the Chevy's V8 rumble and roar.

Actually not sure one can even utilize the extra power the Dinan provides over the stock B58 numbers (but I'm not bringing mine back anytime soon. )
Awesome! Glad you are enjoying it. I'm looking at wheel and tire combos now in anticipation of my next mod. I'd like to be able to better get the power down, but like you said, I'm not complaining either!
2017 Audi Q5
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 07:31 PM   #100
RotorOver
Newer 2er
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i (Sold)

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post

DINANTRONICS Elite For the BMW F2x M240i
Will the Elite suppress a CEL from an after market DP?
2017 Audi Q5
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 07:32 PM   #101
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Will the Elite suppress a CEL from an after market DP?
No. It is not emissions legal to do so.
Appreciate 1
RotorOver295.50
      04-26-2017, 07:18 AM   #102
SCCThree
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Dinan_Engineering

Does the elite make any changes to the auto transmission shift programming? If not, is this something that might be coming out later?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 09:38 AM   #103
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCThree View Post
Dinan_Engineering

Does the elite make any changes to the auto transmission shift programming? If not, is this something that might be coming out later?
It does not. Only way to alter the transmission programming would be direct access to the ECU (physically modifying the DME to gain access and bench flash). This is not something we intend to do due to potential warranty obligations.

That said, the ZF transmission is as close to perfect as I think you are going to get so I am curious as to what you would want to try and improve upon it.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 12:35 PM   #104
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

Quote:
That said, the ZF transmission is as close to perfect as I think you are going to get so I am curious as to what you would want to try and improve upon it.
I have to agree. The transmission is pretty amazing. In D/S, the thing bangs gears like a stick and always grabs a lower gear on deceleration so you get engine braking or super quick throttle response. I find it to be flawless.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 04:32 PM   #105
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M240i, AT, BSM

Quote:
I have to agree. The transmission is pretty amazing. In D/S, the thing bangs gears like a stick and always grabs a lower gear on deceleration so you get engine braking or super quick throttle response. I find it to be flawless.
Agreed. I might even go so far as to say that's it's better than the DSG in my GTI, which I LOVE!.
My 2017 M240i: MHD, xHP, Modded OE Intake, AA GESi 400 CPSI Cat DP, Dinan Mid-pipe, M Performance LSD & Rear Diffuser, BMS Exhaust Tips, Apex EC-7 Wheels, M-Tech Front Lip, iND Painted Mirror Caps, Smoked Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 04:58 PM   #106
Mr Carrots
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterWT View Post
Agreed. I might even go so far as to say that's it's better than the DSG in my GTI, which I LOVE!.
It's way better than the S3 DSG, needed to work the paddles with that on every drive
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 11:15 PM   #107
SCCThree
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It does not. Only way to alter the transmission programming would be direct access to the ECU (physically modifying the DME to gain access and bench flash). This is not something we intend to do due to potential warranty obligations.

Understood on warranty issues and flash issues. Makes sense.

Finally... the automotive industry has created the perfect transmission. Lets put it in everything, forever. Think of the amount of money that will be saved not having to develop any more transmissions. Perfection has been achieved at last!

I'm only joking of course. I was just curious if Dinan had anything up the sleeve on modifications to the trans software. I agree, excellent transmission.

Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 09:21 AM   #108
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

Quote:
It does not. .
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2017, 04:48 PM   #109
mpbruin108
Mpbruin108
Rep
Drives: I'm a hypermiler

I know this might be an off topic question but what if I wanted to switch to E85 gas (with all the engine component upgrades too), can we program the Dinan Elite to work with E85 gas?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2017, 05:13 PM   #110
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpbruin108 View Post
I know this might be an off topic question but what if I wanted to switch to E85 gas (with all the engine component upgrades too), can we program the Dinan Elite to work with E85 gas?
You can run E85 and the factory DME will adjust timing accordingly to some degree and yield a bit more power but the DINANTRONICS unit itself is not tuned to take full advantage of E85 fuel. Perhaps in the future but I think a race octane (100+) map is more likely to be entertained than an ethanol one.
Appreciate 0