THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Where to strap M240i on the Dyno?

12-02-2017, 03:21 PM   #1
42395_skyline
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Where to strap M240i on the Dyno?

I always have the worst of luck wherever I take any of my cars. Garages, shops, dealer... ALWAYS have an issue with their mistake.

I'm getting my car Dyno'd this week and want to make sure they strap it down correctly. I've read horror stories about damage being done to struts and control arms by strapping to them on Dynos. Where should they be strapping down my 240?
Appreciate 1
BM235iW97.00
      12-04-2017, 04:17 PM   #2
Shovelman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i

Don't have any answer,,, but I do have a question for the dyne guys. Do they have any data from testing different gasolines in the same engine?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 04:53 PM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42395_skyline View Post
I always have the worst of luck wherever I take any of my cars. Garages, shops, dealer... ALWAYS have an issue with their mistake.

I'm getting my car Dyno'd this week and want to make sure they strap it down correctly. I've read horror stories about damage being done to struts and control arms by strapping to them on Dynos. Where should they be strapping down my 240?
so why take the chance and put the car on a dynamometer ?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 05:10 PM   #4
42395_skyline
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Quote:

so why take the chance and put the car on a dynamometer ?
Well I'll at least lower the chances if I know how it should be done to verify. The shop is on my local bmw Facebook page as recommended for Dynos so they do have a good reputation. Kings performance is also on the list and are cheaper and more well known so I might stop by there and speak to them.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 11:20 AM   #5
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

This sounds kinda troll-ish to me - 'getting your car dyno'd' isn't like a detailing. If your dyno shop does not know this already, then they might be amateurs to be avoided (the whole thing seems amateurish, unless there is more purpose to that 'getting dyno'd'). Ditto if they trust customer RQ over their own info - ever see what happens when a car breaks loose?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 11:28 AM   #6
42395_skyline
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
This sounds kinda troll-ish to me - 'getting your car dyno'd' isn't like a detailing. If your dyno shop does not know this already, then they might be amateurs to be avoided (the whole thing seems amateurish, unless there is more purpose to that 'getting dyno'd'). Ditto if they trust customer RQ over their own info - ever see what happens when a car breaks loose?
Saw a post of a "trusted" and well known shop strapping a car wrong and they wouldn't pay for damages and they still charged for the dyno. He made a warning post for people to stay away from that shop. It lead me to do some research and find out that it's happened a lot to people.

I'm not trying to tell any shop how to do their job, I just want to know what to look out for in case I see them doing it wrong. Obviously if those people who had shops strap them up wrong knew what was going on they would of avoided the entire mistake. If I see them strap it up incorrectly I would just tell them to take it down and leave.

I still don't have an answer and because of ongoing warranty issues with BMW I'm going to postpone the dyno for a few weeks.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 11:38 AM   #7
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Why dyno in the first place? If it is just 'to know what it puts out' then you should read up on how variable dyno numbers can be (some shops will even make sure you get inflated "vanity #'s", probably with an offer to sell you more dyno time to 'supertune your unusually powerful factory build'). If you are modding, and needing to track the impact of changes, then you'll need to find a place that you can really trust for repeated and reliable runs. For that, I'd suggest searching here for people who post dyno data and ask them specifically (might even try to find local recc's in your area).
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 11:42 AM   #8
42395_skyline
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Why dyno in the first place? If it is just 'to know what it puts out' then you should read up on how variable dyno numbers can be (some shops will even make sure you get inflated "vanity #'s", probably with an offer to sell you more dyno time to 'supertune your unusually powerful factory build'). If you are modding, and needing to track the impact of changes, then you'll need to find a place that you can really trust for repeated and reliable runs. For that, I'd suggest searching here for people who post dyno data and ask them specifically (might even try to find local recc's in your area).
I'm modding and want to see the gains so I'm just after reliable numbers. That's why I'm only looking at trusted shops in my area that have good reputation. I just like to be extra cautious.

I've asked a few people who have had theirs Dynod but so far they just told me that they let the operator choose and didn't pay attention.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 04:21 PM   #9
Sunny_M240I
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 m240ix Sunset Orange

Quote:
I'm modding and want to see the gains so I'm just after reliable numbers. That's why I'm only looking at trusted shops in my area that have good reputation. I just like to be extra cautious.

I've asked a few people who have had theirs Dynod but so far they just told me that they let the operator choose and didn't pay attention.
Please post results of dyno before mods. I read in many places that BMW under rates the HP of their cars. 0-60 in low 4's is more than 335 HP i believe. For a 3500lbs (approx) awd car thats unbelievably impressive. I have found a few places where people have dynod their m240i and results where between 250-260 hp.

What mods are you looking at?

THX
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 08:57 PM   #10
42395_skyline
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_M2_ View Post
Please post results of dyno before mods. I read in many places that BMW under rates the HP of their cars. 0-60 in low 4's is more than 335 HP i believe. For a 3500lbs (approx) awd car thats unbelievably impressive. I have found a few places where people have dynod their m240i and results where between 250-260 hp.

What mods are you looking at?

THX
Will do.

I have JB4, BMS Intake, and ER downpipe ready to install. So I'll be doing a base and then after install dyno. Not sure if I'll do anything else in the future.
Appreciate 1
aerobod3604.50