THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Eco Pro mode to warm engine up.....?

12-01-2017, 04:19 AM   #1
Bmw Fan M240i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240i Sunset Orange, Oyster

Eco Pro mode to warm engine up.....?

So I’ve got into a habit of putting the car into eco pro mode after a cold start until it’s warmed up. I figure I’m going to be driving it like a granny until it’s warmed jon anyway so may as well be in eco pro mode,...my question is will it be better to keep it in comfort mode, wondering if the eco pro mode takes longer to warm the engine up?
Thoughts....?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 06:15 AM   #2
nikman011
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 STi - IAG Trojan

wondering why I cant just drive in Sport+ (instead of Econ [pro?]) mode. I drove into work this morning, daily 4 mile commute in Sport+, way less than a 10 minute drive, .... didnt even drive like a maniac

EDIT:
actually I almost always drive in Sports+, sometimes Sport, occasionally in Comfort (only when I pull into my street late at night), but never in Econ
      12-01-2017, 07:17 AM   #3
Bmw Fan M240i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikman011 View Post
wondering why I cant just drive in Sport+ (instead of Econ [pro?]) mode. I drove into work this morning, daily 4 mile commute in Sport+, way less than a 10 minute drive, .... didnt even drive like a maniac

EDIT:
actually I almost always drive in Sports+, sometimes Sport, occasionally in Comfort (only when I pull into my street late at night), but never in Econ
4 miles, under 10 minutes and the car is only just up to temp (in cold weather), so surely not gaining anything from sport or sport plus? Unless you drive it hard from the start?
Car is brand new so want to ease it in upto 1200 miles. So was just wondering if the car warms up just as quick in comfort than it does in eco pro, may as well gain better MPG whilst it’s warming up before i then switch into comfort or sport.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 07:30 AM   #4
nikman011
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw Fan M240i View Post
4 miles, under 10 minutes and the car is only just up to temp (in cold weather), so surely not gaining anything from sport or sport plus? Unless you drive it hard from the start?
Car is brand new so want to ease it in upto 1200 miles. So was just wondering if the car warms up just as quick in comfort than it does in eco pro, may as well gain better MPG whilst it’s warming up before i then switch into comfort or sport.
i have ~ 2100, ...... in sport/+ is more responsive than comfort/econ for sure even without redlining, or even coming close, ... PLUS, the sound, LOL!

The question I am asking in my post above is what is to be gained by running in econ/comfort inside of the first 10 minutes of driving
      12-01-2017, 08:02 AM   #5
Toxophilite
Private
Rep
Drives: '18 BMW m240i xDrive: ordered

I think it's ensuring that you don't rev it out while it's still warming up. I think in eco pro (correct me if I am wrong), it essentially becomes a nanny. You can't push the car as hard in eco pro vs sport+. Almost like adding a checks and balances to your driving. I like the idea!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 08:13 AM   #6
Bmw Fan M240i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikman011 View Post
i have ~ 2100, ...... in sport/+ is more responsive than comfort/econ for sure even without redlining, or even coming close, ... PLUS, the sound, LOL!

The question I am asking in my post above is what is to be gained by running in econ/comfort inside of the first 10 minutes of driving
I had a feeling you would say the sound

First 10 minutes I drive like a granny, while it warms up, and I mean a granny, I may aswell gain mpg, but obviously I want the engine to warm up as quick as possible, so my question was will it warm up quicker in comfort mode or eco pro mode or the same? If it warms up quicker in normal comfort mode I’ll keep it in that, does that make sense?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 08:20 AM   #7
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I don't know for sure, but I suspect that it will warm as quickly, and you will be less likely to floor it cold. There could be other factors that would also affect cold-start or longevity (i.e. is sport+ giving a richer mixture that will wash down the cylinders when cold? or more boost that is unwanted for a cold engine?). These motors have a very advanced heat management system - they hold heat a LONG time so it is harder to truly cold start them, and judging from how fast the heater begins to warm, I suspect they have a very fast warm-up process overall. And FWIW, I've begun using ecopro anytime I'm also using cruise control - it does save you about 5%, and when set on cruise you don't notice the laggy throttle.
Appreciate 2
      12-01-2017, 08:22 AM   #8
nikman011
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw Fan M240i View Post
I had a feeling you would say the sound

First 10 minutes I drive like a granny, while it warms up, and I mean a granny, I may aswell gain mpg, but obviously I want the engine to warm up as quick as possible, so my question was will it warm up quicker in comfort mode or eco pro mode or the same? If it warms up quicker in normal comfort mode I’ll keep it in that, does that make sense?
Sunroof open, windows down a crack, ..... heated steering wheel on, seat heat on 1, auto 80 on both driver and passenger side, ...... 6AM, 32 degrees, .... party, ...... sound of the vehicle mixed with Rage, Metallica, or System cause I am still pissed about something my dad said to back in 1985 when I was 16, .... that B*STARD! LOL

but really, the first 1.5 miles of my commute takes 10 minutes, then I bust through a tunnel, .... (I can control myself in the AM more than the PM)
      12-01-2017, 08:56 AM   #9
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Mine is garaged and my garage is well insulated. It will be heated next year. But I let it warm up in comfort for about 10 minutes. Why floor it?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 09:40 AM   #10
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

It doesn't matter what mode you are in when warming up. As long as you let it warm up. It's not really time dependent as much as it's load dependent. Cruising down the highway isn't the same load as a hilled, curvy road.

I use the DashCmd app to keep track of my temps so this is what I've noticed while warming up the car when I start driving.
Appreciate 2
nikman011174.50
Maynard3846.50
      12-01-2017, 09:50 AM   #11
nikman011
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayscott View Post
Mine is garaged and my garage is well insulated. It will be heated next year. But I let it warm up in comfort for about 10 minutes. Why floor it?
oh man, I wish i had a garage, but I am on the street, ...... I let mine warm up for about 5 minutes every morning
      12-01-2017, 01:07 PM   #12
stlb5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C MT, '15 X5 Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInfante View Post
It doesn't matter what mode you are in when warming up. As long as you let it warm up. It's not really time dependent as much as it's load dependent. Cruising down the highway isn't the same load as a hilled, curvy road.

I use the DashCmd app to keep track of my temps so this is what I've noticed while warming up the car when I start driving.
This! I just keep it under 3K til I hit 200 F. I believe Eco, Comfort, Sport/+ only change the fuel tip in (I come from a Subaru so that's the term I know) when it comes to the throttle. In Eco, 25% throttle pedal position is close to 25% throttle I think. In sport, 25% throttle pedal position is closer to 50%. My number probably arent accurate, but you get the point. Next time you're cruising, keep you throttle pedal in the same location and switch modes to feel the effect. I think 100% is 100% in all modes. Long winded way to say during warm up it doesn't matter which mode you're in. Eco probably makes it psychologically easier.
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2017, 01:41 PM   #13
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlb5 View Post
This! I just keep it under 3K til I hit 200 F. I believe Eco, Comfort, Sport/+ only change the fuel tip in (I come from a Subaru so that's the term I know) when it comes to the throttle.
This is so inaccurate it should be deleted.

The different drive modes affect everything from the drive-by-wire throttle response (the so-called 'tip-in' you're referring to) to shift patterns (with the ZF8 auto), turbo spool-up, MAF sensor parameters, coolant flow and rate, acceptable operating temp ... I could go on. Please don't oversimplify because you suspect. Research and/or ask and prove yourself right ... or, learn something new so that you are right when you state something like this.

As for the OP's practice: An engine will warm up quicker under heavier load, as stated previously. The driving mode's effect is relatively negligible because the load is the same no matter what the car's mode is at the time. That said, our cars reach accepted operating temperature slightly faster in the sportier modes. Why? Because the accepted operating temperature is slightly lower in those modes because of the ECU engineering. BMW programs its cars to operate at cooler accepted temps in sportier modes so that the car has 'headroom' for more spirited driving.
Appreciate 2
nikman011174.50
Dylan861330.00
      12-01-2017, 01:49 PM   #14
stlb5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C MT, '15 X5 Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
This is so inaccurate it should be deleted.

The different drive modes affect everything from the drive-by-wire throttle response (the so-called 'tip-in' you're referring to) to shift patterns (with the ZF8 auto), turbo spool-up, MAF sensor parameters, coolant flow and rate, acceptable operating temp ... I could go on. Please don't oversimplify because you suspect. Research and/or ask and prove yourself right ... or, learn something new so that you are right when you state something like this.

As for the OP's practice: An engine will warm up quicker under heavier load, as stated previously. The driving mode's effect is relatively negligible because the load is the same no matter what the car's mode is at the time. That said, our cars reach accepted operating temperature slightly faster in the sportier modes. Why? Because the accepted operating temperature is slightly lower in those modes because of the ECU engineering. BMW programs its cars to operate at cooler accepted temps in sportier modes so that the car has 'headroom' for more spirited driving.
Thanks for the added info, I did indeed learn something. I did state that I was only referring to effect on throttle and not the additional items you expanded on.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      12-01-2017, 03:30 PM   #15
TajoMan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240 xdrive, X3M40i

M240 has engine encapsulation and it does help to keep the coolant warmer when engine is off in cold ambient.

So, driving in normal traffic for 5 minutes is plenty to warm up the coolant and oil for little spirited driving on the road (not to the point of racing/track attack, obviously)

Also, most modern car has dedicate warm up calibration if the ambient is extremely cold. (specific settings are different for each manufacturer, typically below 20F)
During that warm up period, it will run richer than normal for quicker warm up.
It is primarily to raise the after treatment temperature up to operating temperature as quickly as possible for emission.

Bottom line is that driver does not need to worry too much about the warm up if you drive normally and follow the normal traffic on the road.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      12-05-2017, 07:08 AM   #16
ianp622
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Man people here are obsessed with warming up their engines like it's the 80s.

1. Synthetic oil works at a range of temperatures.
2. The B58 has insulation to keep the engine warm overnight.
3. If you don't do a kickdown, the RPMs will be fine for whatever temperature you're at.

There's a reason why they don't show you engine/oil temp anymore - you don't need to worry about it. That being said, Eco Pro is probably worse because you'll be doing the start-stop (if it even lets you), and you won't be hitting the higher revs, which could mean incomplete combustion at lower temps.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      12-05-2017, 09:30 AM   #17
TajoMan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianp622 View Post

There's a reason why they don't show you engine/oil temp anymore - you don't need to worry about it.
well, that's not really the reason why 2 series does not have oil temp gauge.
It's BMW's cost cutting/no space on instrument cluster issue.

It's nice to have oil temp gauge, not just for warm up, but to check if it overheats. (say, during track session in hot day)

I doubt it will overheat though. (It's got something like 7 heat exchangers)
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 09:58 AM   #18
stevenvillatoro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M240i, Estoril Blue

Garage List
2018 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TajoMan View Post
Update: The '18s do have an oil temp gauge (at least in M240i trim).

'19 MX-5 Miata GT-S soft top
Past BMWs: two '57 Isetta 300s, '70 1600, '72 Bavaria, '78 320i, '18 M240i
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 03:45 PM   #19
ianp622
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
It's BMW's cost cutting/no space on instrument cluster issue.

It's nice to have oil temp gauge, not just for warm up, but to check if it overheats. (say, during track session in hot day)

I doubt it will overheat though. (It's got something like 7 heat exchangers)
I don't see how it's cost cutting - the information is available in the computer, it would just be another click in the dash info or a value in the vehicle status.

And sure, for the track it would be helpful, but what I'm saying is that BMW clearly doesn't want you to worry about it to much.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 05:08 PM   #20
TajoMan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I don't see how it's cost cutting - the information is available in the computer, it would just be another click in the dash info or a value in the vehicle status.

And sure, for the track it would be helpful, but what I'm saying is that BMW clearly doesn't want you to worry about it to much.
What I meant was the actual oil temp gauges like 3 series (and larger vehicles).
They have 2 smaller gauges for oil temp and fuel level.

Even X3 has dedicated oil temp gauge. (so X3 needs to worry about oil temp more than 2 series? not really)

1 and 2 series vehicles are too small to put 3 series instrument cluster, so they just "cut" the 2 small gauges (instead of redesigning instrument cluster to accommodate proper temp gauge because it's low end models.)

you would be surprised how all the companies trying to save every penny.
(even if it is just a additional code in existing software)

They could have put that digital temp display from the beginning but bmw saved it for LCI update to offer as an "improvement".

I knew I should've waited for 2018 model. (couldn't wait and not regretting much anyway)
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 12:38 PM   #21
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:

This has been discussed to death in previous threads. Pre-2018 2 Series BMWs do not have a temperature gauge of any sort -- even in the digital display area. Meanwhile, all 3 Series BMWs and up have at least a coolant temp gauge.

I'm sorry, but BMW not wanting drivers to 'worry' about the car's temperature is not the primary issue here when a gauge such as that is left off a model that is significantly sportier than another. Think about it: Not even the M2 has a temperature gauge.

It's cost cutting. Pure, simple, and factual.

Quote:
1 and 2 series vehicles are too small to put 3 series instrument cluster, so they just "cut" the 2 small gauges (instead of redesigning instrument cluster to accommodate proper temp gauge because it's low end models.)
BMW actually went one step farther and didn't bother to program either coolant temp or oil temp as one of the choices in the Extended Instrument Cluster (read: the digital info display in the gauge cluster). To do so would have been a simple matter of writing CAN-BUS code to enable it in the display because the info is already available as part of OBD-II. The omission is likely because of two things: 1) An oversight by BMW based when the CAN-BUS was being developed initially for the 1 Series, and 2) BMW's assumption that adjusting the coding wasn't worth the R&D expenditure, which was likely minimal.

Obviously, this has been rectified in 2018s with the all-digital gauges. Why? Likely because BMW realized the omission was a mistake and planned to include it in the feature set of the new cluster, which is, or will be, used in multiple model ranges above the 2 Series.

Cost cutting.

Last edited by Viffermike; 12-06-2017 at 12:47 PM..
Appreciate 0