THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum BMW M240i and 230i Announced With Latest Engines - B58 and B46 [Official Specs]

05-17-2016, 01:55 PM   #155
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerostar View Post
More fanboy logic.
Literally has nothing to do with being a fanboy, explain to me how that's fan boy logic. If anything it's the opposite. I actually think you're a fanboy! Ha! Gotcha! You're ridiculous

Soon.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 01:55 PM   #156
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Well I just got trolled good
Lol, I wasn't trolling, just discussing, that's what these boards are for right?

Soon.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 01:57 PM   #157
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
To summarize any of his posts, read as follows, "M2 is the best car BMW has ever produced. It is made of diamonds and the seats are made of gold. All other cars are inferior for reasons XXX, M2 is superior because XXX. M2 is Jesus returned to Earth as a vehicle."
Actually, I think I've figured it out. Breakdown below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adem1534 View Post
That's different, though. They are mass producing M4's at a much higher rate than the M2. Do you see what I'm saying? They can't produce that many M2s, so in order to compete and keep people from going outside of the brand, they have to offer a product that is more readily available.

The M4 will always be very, very available. The M2 is back ordered for 1.5-2 years at my dealer.

It's not an apples to apples comparison, because the production volume of the M4 is very high. There's also the M3, which is more practical.

You see how I'm drawing my conclusion?

No one is going to say 'DAMN! The wait list for the M4 is too long, I'm going to Audi or Mercedes.'

Why?

Because there's the M3, which is also highly produced and very practical.

And also, because the M4 wait isn't long at all...

The M240i will be MUCH easier to obtain, preventing people from ditching for another brand.

I don't think you caught my logic correctly, probably because I didn't explain it well enough.

If the produced a 4 series that matched the M4 (ONLY in power), then it's be ridiculous. There would be no need to do that. Because the M4 is easily available, and has a much higher profit margin than the M2 since it's not being squeezed into another production line (X1), and since they're produced at a greater rate.

Apples to Oranges comparison. BMW is doing what they're doing for a reason. They have a whole company of thousands of people making these decisions. There is clearly logic behind the decision.
Adem, I don't mean to insult you. I really don't. This is genuine advice. The reason you're being misinterpreted, is because you're using vague language. I think this is your central thesis:
They can't produce that many M2s, so in order to compete and keep people from going outside of the brand, they have to offer a product that is more readily available.
They = BMW

Keep people from going outside of the brand = People buying a Mercedes/Audi/Whatever because they can't get an M2.

Have to offer a product that is more readily available = Where the product is the M240i.

So, to restate this — possibly more clearly, but probably not.

BMW is producing the M240i with performance statistics that compete in a specific market segment. This market position would normally be filled by the M2, but the production numbers on the M2 are low, so BMW has to make a product that has higher availability, while remaining competitive in the market. That product is the M240i.

My thoughts? Disagree. Occam's razor applies, and I think you're making it too complicated. When the E92 M3 was produced, the 335is was within 0.1 of the M3, and a lot of the same hand wringing was going on. There have always been a vocal segment of enthusiasts who swear that the M-car is a sucker's car, because a modded 335i could be just as fast. That wasn't a problem for the E92 M3, and the M240i won't be a problem for the M2.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2016, 01:57 PM   #158
G8rGrl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedown31
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8rGrl View Post
Amazing rear fenders and M chassis...or...more torque (without overboost), sunroof, and actually being able to buy the car?
And available xdrive and a significantly lower price, m240 is looking pretty good come LCI.
But those FENDERS! At this point I'm probably going to pass on the M2, get a non-BMW this year, and if they ever make one, get the M2 gran coupe.
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2016, 01:59 PM   #159
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2, '23 GT4

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4

I am constantly amused by how many people talk nonsense on forums all day and ignore this very simple fact.

Forget the M2 vs 240 debate, FOR ME the 228 xDrive in the winter would be a better car than the M2 which I would have to leave at the bottom of my hill and walk home.
I will be doing this. Except I'll leave my M2 at the top of the hill which is three hundred feet above sea level over an incline of three quarters of a mile. Free workout. But it barely snowed in NYC last winter. I'll be praying for more of the same.

Oh and for the record, I was trying to get into an M235 for about a year or so. Once the M2 materialized, there was no way I would go for a 235 over that, albeit the M240 is impressive but in hindsight, I would go to Porsche before backtracking into a 240.
      05-17-2016, 02:05 PM   #160
aerostar
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

Quote:
Literally has nothing to do with being a fanboy, explain to me how that's fan boy logic. If anything it's the opposite. I actually think you're a fanboy! Ha! Gotcha! You're ridiculous
Pretty sure it's exactly how fanboy logic works.

Your statement was incoherent and makes no sense (as proven by two posters who had no idea WTF you're talking about). I don't understand what's so tough to get about it that you're a M2 fanboy. It's not a negative thing, you're just always on the M2's side which is understandable as you own one.

You literally said BMW decided to make less M2's and fill the void it created by making a similarly performing M240i. Why would any company do that?

And then after someone pointed out that what you said was ridiculous you said you don't even believe it yourself.

Appreciate 1
      05-17-2016, 02:07 PM   #161
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
As to why they don't increase M2 production, I don't know, maybe to prevent it from carving into M3/4 sales?
I think if there's any reason that the M2 and M240i are so close in HP and acceleration performance, this is it. BMW will happily sacrifice M2 sales in order to protect the M3/4. So there is a ceiling to M2 performance, but there is credibility to your point that the M240i has to compete in the broad market. I just don't think M2 availability plays in to it. BMW are in control of their production volumes. I also don't think the M2 is going to be particularly limited on the supply side.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 02:12 PM   #162
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland
Quote:
As to why they don't increase M2 production, I don't know, maybe to prevent it from carving into M3/4 sales?
I think if there's any reason that the M2 and M240i are so close in HP and acceleration performance, this is it. BMW will happily sacrifice M2 sales in order to protect the M3/4. So there is a ceiling to M2 performance, but there is credibility to your point that the M240i has to compete in the broad market. I just don't think M2 availability plays in to it. BMW are in control of their production volumes. I also don't think the M2 is going to be particularly limited on the supply side.
Just because the 2 series and further more, the M2 aren't "limited", doesn't mean there will be a surplus. I read somewhere that only 10,000 M2 will be produced over the course of its run. That's not exactly an influx. The two series isn't BMWs bread and butter.

Most of the information on the M2 is still speculation anyway.
      05-17-2016, 02:13 PM   #163
Nati0n
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

I know the initial production batch of the M2 was limited but I have a feeling in subsequent runs they'll be a lot easier to get your hands on, and for MSRP too not a ridiculous markup.

[CURRENT] 2014 BMW M235i (Estoril Blue Metallic/ZF 8-Speed Auto/Premium and Technology Package)
[SOLD] 2007 Mercedes-Benz E550 4-Matic (Premium 1 and Sport Package)
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 02:15 PM   #164
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nati0n
I know the initial production batch of the M2 was limited but I have a feeling in subsequent runs they'll be a lot easier to get your hands on, and for MSRP too not a ridiculous markup.
No one on the forum has admitted to paying over msrp as of yet. I'm pretty sure we all paid no more than sticker.
      05-17-2016, 02:15 PM   #165
aerostar
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87LUV View Post
Just because the 2 series and further more, the M2 aren't "limited", doesn't mean there will be a surplus. I read somewhere that only 10,000 M2 will be produced over the course of its run. That's not exactly an influx. The two series isn't BMWs bread and butter.

I think the stated 10,000 value was for the initial global production. They said initially ~1,800 (?) were coming to the US. This is already more than the 800 or so 1M's I believe.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 02:17 PM   #166
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerostar
Quote:

I think the stated 10,000 value was for the initial global production. They said initially ~1,800 (?) were coming to the US. This is already more than the 800 or so 1M's I believe.
I couldn't remember the source so perhaps that's true. Point being, if they don't retool the plant anytime soon or simply figure out how they're producing more plus make a bunch of new M230/240, we're not going to see 100,000 M2s like everyone wants to suggest. Of course after the early adopters get theirs and BMW finally tells us what's happening production wise, they will be more available. Lol.
      05-17-2016, 02:22 PM   #167
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Pretty sure it's exactly how fanboy logic works.

Your statement was incoherent and makes no sense (as proven by two posters who had no idea WTF you're talking about). I don't understand what's so tough to get about it that you're a M2 fanboy. It's not a negative thing, you're just always on the M2's side which is understandable as you own one.

You literally said BMW decided to make less M2's and fill the void it created by making a similarly performing M240i. Why would any company do that?

And then after someone pointed out that what you said was ridiculous you said you don't even believe it yourself.

Listen dude, I am on mobile right now so I am sort of rambling, and I'll admit that.

1. I don't deny that I love the M2, but when you make bullshit claims that I think it's the best BMW ever made and it's better than every other car, I end up thinking you're trolling and just being an asshole.

2. It made sense, I just didn't explain it well originally, that doesn't made it a fanboy point. Again, I am on mobile.

3. I acknowledged that my idea was simply conjecture, isn't that the opposite of what a fanboy would do? A fanboy would be rambling like it's a fact, I clearly stated it was just a theory.

4. When I said I didn't 100 believe it, what I meant was that I am not convinced that it is necessarily more than likely to be the case. The forum is for discussion.

5. Your statement regarding that 'BMW decided to make less M2s, then fill the void etc.' Is not in line with my idea. I was saying that the M2 isn't able to be produced as fast since it takes longer to build due to the parts, and the fact that it shares an assembly line with BMWs cash maker, the X1. I'm not an idiot. I was not suggesting that they just cut M2 production for the M240i for fun.

So it looks like you misunderstood what I said, sure, maybe that's my fault. But when you put quotes around shit that I never said and doesn't represent my opinion, I think you're just a dick, hopefully that's understandable.

M2 is a great car for me, I don't think it's a holy grail car, no I don't think it's better than an M3/4, and I think the Focus RS is more raw and better for lots of people.

Now I'm calling a truce at this point because I am done arguing with you when you just put quotes around words that I've never said. Alright, let's move on.

Soon.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 02:23 PM   #168
GFK007
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 m235i

If you're looking to lease, this is the obvious choice. Numbers are very close to those put up by the m2. Maybe too close.

If you're a buyer, m2 all day.

(gone but not forgotten) 2011 e90 M Sport - M-Tech Carbon Diffuser, OEM Carbon Trunk Spoiler, 20% tint, black reflectors, black OEM grille, LUX white Angel Eyes.
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2016, 02:24 PM   #169
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
Actually, I think I've figured it out. Breakdown below...

Adem, I don't mean to insult you. I really don't. This is genuine advice. The reason you're being misinterpreted, is because you're using vague language. I think this is your central thesis:
They can't produce that many M2s, so in order to compete and keep people from going outside of the brand, they have to offer a product that is more readily available.
They = BMW

Keep people from going outside of the brand = People buying a Mercedes/Audi/Whatever because they can't get an M2.

Have to offer a product that is more readily available = Where the product is the M240i.

So, to restate this — possibly more clearly, but probably not.

BMW is producing the M240i with performance statistics that compete in a specific market segment. This market position would normally be filled by the M2, but the production numbers on the M2 are low, so BMW has to make a product that has higher availability, while remaining competitive in the market. That product is the M240i.

My thoughts? Disagree. Occam's razor applies, and I think you're making it too complicated. When the E92 M3 was produced, the 335is was within 0.1 of the M3, and a lot of the same hand wringing was going on. There have always been a vocal segment of enthusiasts who swear that the M-car is a sucker's car, because a modded 335i could be just as fast. That wasn't a problem for the E92 M3, and the M240i won't be a problem for the M2.
Thank you, that's what I was trying to get across. Was just discussing an idea, wasn't saying the M2 is the best BMW ever made. Don't know how that says that.

Soon.
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2016, 02:28 PM   #170
aerostar
Major
Rep

Quote:
Listen dude, I am on mobile right now so I am sort of rambling, and I'll admit that.

1. I don't deny that I love the M2, but when you make bullshit claims that I think it's the best BMW ever made and it's better than every other car, I end up thinking you're trolling and just being an asshole.

2. It made sense, I just didn't explain it well originally, that doesn't made it a fanboy point. Again, I am on mobile.

3. I acknowledged that my idea was simply conjecture, isn't that the opposite of what a fanboy would do? A fanboy would be rambling like it's a fact, I clearly stated it was just a theory.

4. When I said I didn't 100 believe it, what I meant was that I am not convinced that it is necessarily more than likely to be the case. The forum is for discussion.

5. Your statement regarding that 'BMW decided to make less M2s, then fill the void etc.' Is not in line with my idea. I was saying that the M2 isn't able to be produced as fast since it takes longer to build due to the parts, and the fact that it shares an assembly line with BMWs cash maker, the X1. I'm not an idiot. I was not suggesting that they just cut M2 production for the M240i for fun.

So it looks like you misunderstood what I said, sure, maybe that's my fault. But when you put quotes around shit that I never said and doesn't represent my opinion, I think you're just a dick, hopefully that's understandable.

M2 is a great car for me, I don't think it's a holy grail car, no I don't think it's better than an M3/4, and I think the Focus RS is more raw and better for lots of people.

Now I'm calling a truce at this point because I am done arguing with you when you just put quotes around words that I've never said. Alright, let's move on.
I didn't know posting from a phone excuses you from posting nonsensical statements that nobody can understand. But it's okay, come back later and say "sorry, was on mobile!". We all get it now!

And I'm pretty sure I'm not the first person on this forum (not *nearly* the first) who has called you a M2 fanboy. Maybe that's why you're so butt hurt?

Either way, nobody's telling you your car is garbage or unworthy of the pricetag. Like I said, you take the internet too seriously.
Appreciate 3
      05-17-2016, 02:31 PM   #171
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I didn't know posting from a phone excuses you from posting nonsensical statements that nobody can understand. But it's okay, come back later and say "sorry, was on mobile!". We all get it now!

And I'm pretty sure I'm not the first person on this forum (not *nearly* the first) who has called you a M2 fanboy. Maybe that's why you're so butt hurt?

Either way, nobody's telling you your car is garbage or unworthy of the pricetag. Like I said, you take the internet too seriously.
Not Butthurt, but when someone puts quotes around words I never said, it's kind of ridiculous. I'm not thinking anyone's dissing the car, even if they were, there's plenty of things not to like the M2 for and I know that first hand. Funny how since I made the mobile comment, you latched onto that and disregarded everything else that I said.

Soon.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 02:31 PM   #172
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87LUV
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4

I am constantly amused by how many people talk nonsense on forums all day and ignore this very simple fact.

Forget the M2 vs 240 debate, FOR ME the 228 xDrive in the winter would be a better car than the M2 which I would have to leave at the bottom of my hill and walk home.
I will be doing this. Except I'll leave my M2 at the top of the hill which is three hundred feet above sea level over an incline of three quarters of a mile. Free workout. But it barely snowed in NYC last winter. I'll be praying for more of the same.

Oh and for the record, I was trying to get into an M235 for about a year or so. Once the M2 materialized, there was no way I would go for a 235 over that, albeit the M240 is impressive but in hindsight, I would go to Porsche before backtracking into a 240.
Ha not an option for me. There's a pay lot at the bottom of the hill but they do prison style raping with the rates in winter.
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2016, 02:32 PM   #173
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I couldn't remember the source so perhaps that's true. Point being, if they don't retool the plant anytime soon or simply figure out how they're producing more plus make a bunch of new M230/240, we're not going to see 100,000 M2s like everyone wants to suggest. Of course after the early adopters get theirs and BMW finally tells us what's happening production wise, they will be more available. Lol.
Nice strawman. No one has said they'll make 100,000 M2s. Did you know there were only around 7,500 E92 (specifically) M3s delivered in the US? Would you say the E92 M3 was supply constrained? If the rumors of an M2 production run at around 10,000 are true, supply constraint won't be an issue, which is all anyone is suggesting.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 02:32 PM   #174
StephGOD
KYHOMPB
United_States
Rep
Drives: Only BMW's Ja

Garage List
2020 M2C  [0.00]
2017 M3 Comp  [0.00]
2011 135i  [0.00]
Not to gang up on Adem because he appears to be a good kid with his head on his shoulders and I'm sure he means well but you're most definitely an M2 fanboy based on observing your posts throughout the M2 forum over the last 2 years.

Quote:
Imagine a gentle summer breeze blowing through a flowery meadow. There are flowers of all sorts, placed almost perfectly into the plush ground that suggesting their existence is due to anything other than a Diety would be foolish. Looking up, the sky is blue and not a cloud in the sky. The Sun beams down, smiling at the land with the same face from Tele-Tubbies.

Then, there is a subtle rumbling, and the earth begins to split open, meanwhile changing in it's benign behavior from subtle to violent.

Then out of the newly formed, molten filled canyon, arises a bright figure, with a gold glow embelleshing it's sharply defined profile.

Suddenly the gold glow is overwhelemed by an array of colors. As you focus, your eyes are berated with flurries of red, white, and blue streams of light, thick in color like a pastel created the divine Bob Ross, himself.

In a burst of light, behind the tricolored vision, an image becomes clear.

With a swoop of it's wings and a screech as loud as a drunk sorority girl in her favorite bar when 'her' song comes on, the impeccable, King-Kong sized Bald Eagle soars towards the mountains in the distance, but it is not in silence, as the booming vocals of "Hells Bell's" can be heard in all the land.

I am that Eagle.

That is how I feel about my M2.
Quote:
Well boys, at 10 p.m. tonight, the most ignorant bullshit filled double barrel slinging propaganda machine takes delivery of his 2016 M2
Appreciate 4
makrop151.00
      05-17-2016, 02:36 PM   #175
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland
Quote:
Nice strawman. No one has said they'll make 100,000 M2s. Did you know there were only around 7,500 E92 (specifically) M3s delivered in the US? Would you say the E92 M3 was supply constrained? If the rumors of an M2 production run at around 10,000 are true, supply constraint won't be an issue, which is all anyone is suggesting.
I didn't say anyone said 100,000. I just used a large number to emphasize my point because people are acting like it will be as available as a 328 once BMW gets with the program.

Tough crowd.
      05-17-2016, 02:43 PM   #176
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephGOD View Post
Not to gang up on Adem because he appears to be a good kid with his head on his shoulders and I'm sure he means well but you're most definitely an M2 fanboy based on observing your posts throughout the M2 forum over the last 2 years.
Oh shit!!! Haha those posts were satire. But that is how a felt....

Sure fine, I'm a fanboy. But don't think for a second that I think the m2 is the best car available or the best BMW ever

Soon.
Appreciate 1