THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum BMW M240i and 230i Announced With Latest Engines - B58 and B46 [Official Specs]

05-17-2016, 12:04 PM   #111
SCMike
[ex-Stilyaga]
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too slowly...

OK - start the count down to the Order and Price Guides........and the new Configurator.

NOW: Der 2016 GlitzundBlitzWagen mit ZMP und ZTR und...PCD'd 28Oct15
GONE: 2009 335i Coupe with MPPK ... 2006 M3 Coupe with SMG
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 12:05 PM   #112
nike001
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortyb View Post
Damn! 0-60 in 4.2.. Why wait for an M2 when the M235i is praised for its handling also..What in the world is BMW doing to them selves..There has always been a gap in performance with each model..The models are falling on top of each other with these stats.:
With the introduction of the M2, I feel like we all should've seen this coming. BMW got bunched up because they had to make an M2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levente_CSL View Post
something i dont understand, if those power figures are roughly the same as the M2, then why the hell did bmw make an M2 in the first place?
I've been saying this for a while: I don't think BMW planned or even wanted to build an M2. The M235i was supposed to be the car to buy if you didn't want the big bad expensive M3/4. It had everything you needed to keep up at the track, including the available M-LSD (which has since been discontinued). BMW got conned into making one after the crowds ranted and raved over the M235i and immediately thereafter started the "I can't wait to see what the M2 will be like" talk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephGOD View Post
That's a lot of meth and a lot of boost pressure for the B58 turbo, which I read from BMW that it is smaller, but BMS is saying that it's actually larger now?
(http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/att...0&d=1441950445 - Page 47 on the paper)

That seems basically FBO for the B58 since there doesn't seem to be any intercooler upgrades since it uses two types, one of which is integrated into the intake and has it's own coolant supply like the TwinPower V8's so it seems that exhaust work seems to be the only other route for power, as Terry said.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 12:06 PM   #113
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

"The BMW M Performance 2 Series Convertible accelerates from 0 to 60 mph 0.3 seconds faster than before. Currently the 2 Series stand at 4.7 seconds (automatic: 4.5 seconds) for the BMW M240i Convertible and 4.4 seconds for the BMW M240i xDrive Convertible."

This is a bit confusing, so they are saying it will be 0.3 seconds faster than before and the current xdrive convertible is 4.4 seconds.

So that means the new one will be 4.1 seconds, meaning 0.1 faster than the coupe? that doesn't seem right. BMWs website says 4.6 for the current one, so new one is 4.4? or is new one 4.3, not that it matters, just curious. That's fast as hell for an all weather convertible starting at $50K.

This may be blasphemy to the hardcore BMW fanboys but I am serious considering trading in my X6 and M3 in a few years for a X3M and M240 Xdrive convertible. In real world driving both of them will probably be faster than the M2/M3/M4s,
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 12:11 PM   #114
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

None of this makes any sense. I get that the M2 is track focused and has better x, y, z , but an M car should never be "just as fast" as the base models. It undermines the M2 and is stupid on so many levels that I don't have the time or patience to continue ranting on about it.

I honestly cannot figure out BMW anymore. Just when I think they are coming to their senses they do something like this.
Appreciate 2
      05-17-2016, 12:11 PM   #115
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesat View Post
they finally put the rev-matching system. Does anyone know is it possible to code it to 235i manual?
Yes it's easy. Simply use your feet.

Seriously these comments blow me away. You guys WANT automatic features in your manual? Say what!? Since when is heel-toe downshifting not one of the great joys of driving manual? WTF?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horrorgeek View Post
I can beat that...mine's not even three weeks old.
If only you had a wealth of information, insider info, and owner discussion to reference. Seriously, the writing was on the wall for this. N55 out B58 in. 3er got it, 2er was next. It was almost guaranteed to be the '17MY. I wouldn't let any of this bother you at all since you have a fine car there and all of this could just be marketing hype with a new motor that's only really designed to reduce emissions. But if it does bother you.. well.. then you should have waited and read the rumors.
      05-17-2016, 12:12 PM   #116
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

I don't see the hype, really. Cool updates though
      05-17-2016, 12:20 PM   #117
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
None of this makes any sense. I get that the M2 is track focused and has better x, y, z , but an M car should never be "just as fast" as the base models. It undermines the M2 and is stupid on so many levels that I don't have the time or patience to continue ranting on about it.

I honestly cannot figure out BMW anymore. Just when I think they are coming to their senses they do something like this.
And then BMW pisses off all the early M2 buyers when they release the NEW engine specs of the 2018 M2 400HP, 400 torque...
and the M3/M4 owners start to get pissed
Appreciate 2
      05-17-2016, 12:20 PM   #118
Madmatt
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horrorgeek View Post
I can beat that...mine's not even three weeks old.
And my 235 is still in the Atlantic on the way to Charleston...

Oh well, I'm just going to enjoy the car I have (once I finally get to drive it home!) while I have it. Nothing to prevent me from upgrading in a couple of years.

Madmatt
      05-17-2016, 12:29 PM   #119
aerostar
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Yes it's easy. Simply use your feet.

Seriously these comments blow me away. You guys WANT automatic features in your manual? Say what!? Since when is heel-toe downshifting not one of the great joys of driving manual? WTF?

If only you had a wealth of information, insider info, and owner discussion to reference. Seriously, the writing was on the wall for this. N55 out B58 in. 3er got it, 2er was next. It was almost guaranteed to be the '17MY. I wouldn't let any of this bother you at all since you have a fine car there and all of this could just be marketing hype with a new motor that's only really designed to reduce emissions. But if it does bother you.. well.. then you should have waited and read the rumors.
The rev matching feature on the Porsche GT4 is pretty sick. It's fast as hell and you still feel like you're driving stick.

Dunno. I wouldn't mind it as long as you can turn it off.

That tuned B58 is insane though. 450/450 with just a tune intake and meth? Yeesh.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 12:30 PM   #120
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerostar View Post
The M2 forum is blowing up about this, too.

Some people keep saying the true value of the M2 comes when you're at the track. I'd like to see their face after a M240i xDrive spanks them at a red light.

xD
Spanking is a pretty strong term. The M240 is still slower. It's also missing the M3/4 bits and specific development cycle that give the car it's' character.

I'm happy for people that can get a kick ass 2 series without the wait. If you want to turn this into another dumb forum dick swinging contest, please get a hold of yourself, and don't. Just be happy for all the owners of both. They're different cars and both bad ass.

As for what I'll do at that light, probably give him a thumbs up and a smile, then proceed to do nothing.

Now if it was a CLA45 AMG...

Soon.
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2016, 12:33 PM   #121
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

It makes perfect sense- BMW needs to compete with other brands, but can't output a high number of M2s with a good profit margin.

If anything, this will lead to a more exclusive and rare M2.

Could it really end up being the 1M lite in terms of production, too? Who knows. Perhaps not as limited, but still a very rare car.

Good news for everyone! I'm loving the news of the m240i

Soon.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 12:33 PM   #122
ACZakka325i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2 stroke

We are all in for the M2 because of the bespoke M-bits such as:

- M mirrors
- M seats
- M engine
- M hood bulge

It seems as though the M2 really has no place in the lineup any longer and speaks to more reason why the M2 will be more special and limited. From MSRP alone, it appears as though it can't be a money-maker for BMW.
(Waitlist): #1 M2CSL
(Current): 2016 F15 X5 3.5xdrive - 2010 997.2 C4S Coupe
(Past): 2016 F30 340xi M-Sport -2013 535i xdrive
2008 E92 M3 - 2006 E90 325i
2002 E46 325xi - 1991 E30 325i
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2016, 12:40 PM   #123
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

While I agree this is annoying for some depending on when they got their cars, it's nothing new and just nature of the beast unless I am missing something. Unless all the cars get on the same release schedules it's always going to be the case, Porsche does the same thing especially with the really hard core stuff (GT4) that comes out at the end of a run then the new hot thing comes out a few months later.

One perhaps unintended consequence of this is that the M240 LCI should come out the same time as the RS3, so at least from a timing perspective folks won't have to choose one or the other based on availability.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 12:42 PM   #124
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

One other good thing, just in general, is the renewed interest in smaller coupes and sedans. Everything was getting so bloated, as enthusiasts of things like the 235 or 240 we should hope they sell a hell of a lot of them to keep new things coming to market.
Appreciate 3
      05-17-2016, 12:50 PM   #125
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adem1534 View Post
It makes perfect sense- BMW needs to compete with other brands, but can't output a high number of M2s with a good profit margin.
I respectfully disagree. They can complete with other brands without stepping on ///M's toes. What if they came out with a 4 Series that had the same torque figures and 0-60 time as an M4?
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2016, 12:50 PM   #126
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

I wonder if everyone were this disappointed when the single turbo N55 replaced the twin-turbo N54, a few years ago.. Hmm.. IMHO this new B58 is not really a drastic improvement for everyone to get bent out of shape about.. It merely just a revamp of an the old motor with a few improvements.. Get use to change; it's just the natural evolution of everything..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 12:55 PM   #127
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I respectfully disagree. They can complete with other brands without stepping on ///M's toes. What if they came out with a 4 Series that had the same torque figures and 0-60 time as an M4?
That's different, though. They are mass producing M4's at a much higher rate than the M2. Do you see what I'm saying? They can't produce that many M2s, so in order to compete and keep people from going outside of the brand, they have to offer a product that is more readily available.

The M4 will always be very, very available. The M2 is back ordered for 1.5-2 years at my dealer.

It's not an apples to apples comparison, because the production volume of the M4 is very high. There's also the M3, which is more practical.

You see how I'm drawing my conclusion?

No one is going to say 'DAMN! The wait list for the M4 is too long, I'm going to Audi or Mercedes.'

Why?

Because there's the M3, which is also highly produced and very practical.

And also, because the M4 wait isn't long at all...

The M240i will be MUCH easier to obtain, preventing people from ditching for another brand.

I don't think you caught my logic correctly, probably because I didn't explain it well enough.

If the produced a 4 series that matched the M4 (ONLY in power), then it's be ridiculous. There would be no need to do that. Because the M4 is easily available, and has a much higher profit margin than the M2 since it's not being squeezed into another production line (X1), and since they're produced at a greater rate.

Apples to Oranges comparison. BMW is doing what they're doing for a reason. They have a whole company of thousands of people making these decisions. There is clearly logic behind the decision.

Soon.
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2016, 12:56 PM   #128
aerostar
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adem1534 View Post
Spanking is a pretty strong term. The M240 is still slower. It's also missing the M3/4 bits and specific development cycle that give the car it's' character.

I'm happy for people that can get a kick ass 2 series without the wait. If you want to turn this into another dumb forum dick swinging contest, please get a hold of yourself, and don't. Just be happy for all the owners of both. They're different cars and both bad ass.

As for what I'll do at that light, probably give him a thumbs up and a smile, then proceed to do nothing.

Now if it was a CLA45 AMG...
Right, but everybody reads your posts w/ a grain of salt considering you're the biggest M2 fanboy on the forum.

I think you actively search "M2" all day on the forums and reply aggressively to any post that even hints at attacking your precious baby.

If anything, M235i owners are more pissed than the M2 owners. No need to be so defensive all the time about your purchase.

Edit: See above.
Appreciate 2
      05-17-2016, 12:59 PM   #129
OpenAir
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Enzo F23 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
Sheesh, I'm just looking at upgrading my 228 next year so I will either get a killer deal on a 235 or a 240 with some extra kick so I'm happy!
Appreciate 2
      05-17-2016, 01:01 PM   #130
ABPReader
Deserter
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BM&W

Quote:
None of this makes any sense. I get that the M2 is track focused and has better x, y, z , but an M car should never be "just as fast" as the base models.
Back in the e9x days, you needed a jb4. These days, it comes as fast from factory.
The M2 will be faster by far in a track, but only a few people track their car every week/month.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 01:02 PM   #131
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerostar View Post
Right, but everybody reads your posts w/ a grain of salt considering you're the biggest M2 fanboy on the forum.

I think you actively search "M2" all day on the forums and reply aggressively to any post that even hints at attacking your precious baby.

If anything, M235i owners are more pissed than the M2 owners. No need to be so defensive all the time about your purchase.

Edit: See above.
Wut? If anything you were the one who was aggressive, lol. And no I don't reply aggressively to any post that hints at attacking my 'precious baby'. You're being ridiculous. All I said were facts, notice how I never said my M2 would 'spank' an M240i x drive in a straight line?

No, I didn't. Because it wouldn't. But I guess since you called me a fanboy, all my comments are invalid. Lol, I need to rebrand myself, now no matter what I say I'm a fanboy. Even when I praise another car.

Soon.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 01:04 PM   #132
Horrorgeek
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
I'm not really that broken up about it -- the timing is just funny. This car's just a stopgap for three years because I waited too long to get on the M2 list. That's part of why I wasn't glued to the forums here reading all these threads and rumors: I was busy lusting after an M2 -- well, that and I have a life.*

*Disclaimer -- I do not really have a life.
Appreciate 1