THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Dinan rear springs too low

11-29-2017, 01:25 AM   #1
Tcmcec
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '16 Mineral Gray M235i

Dinan rear springs too low

I just installed my Dinan springs with ride control on my xdrive. Front looks to be dropped exactly what I was expecting but the rear is slightly lower that I thought, actually putting the top of fender 1/4" lower to the ground than the front. Do the fronts tend to settle more and everything will balance out? I also had new OEM struts changed only a couple weeks ago from a warranty repair, maybe they haven't settled yet either? Has anyone experienced this with Dinan on the xdrives? Has anyone ran Dinan springs on front and MP springs or eibach rear?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 08:57 AM   #2
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

I thought on the dinan site it says 1/2 " drop up front and 5/8" in the rear
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 08:36 PM   #3
Tcmcec
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwilson125 View Post
I thought on the dinan site it says 1/2 " drop up front and 5/8" in the rear
Yes, that is what's advertised
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 10:18 PM   #4
mikeyymonster
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

My rear was a lot lower than the front when I had them.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 11:48 PM   #5
Tcmcec
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imalazeeass View Post
Did you live with it or change them up?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 12:59 AM   #6
mikeyymonster
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcmcec View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imalazeeass View Post
Did you live with it or change them up?
I changed to coilovers because I needed height adjustability. It didn't really bother me that much though when I did have them, but I would've preferred the heights to match.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 04:27 PM   #7
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Dinan is 1/2" front, 1" rear, as stated on their website. It should be sitting perfectly... Any pics?

Here's mine for reference, only RWD:

12-01-2017, 08:01 PM   #8
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Here's mine. 2016 M235i, with BBS CI-R wheels (same as Dinan) and Michelin Pilot 4S tires sized 235/35/19 ET45 (8") front (yields zero scrub radius), 265/30/19 ET48 (9") rear. The Dinan springs in the front have a 1/2" drop which are 10% stiffer and yielded a 1 degree negative camber during alignment. The rear springs with 1" drop are 30% stiffer. I think the height is perfect for handling although huge dipping bumps at high speed will not be absorbed as much as stock. The car does look a bit slammed at the rear but the body is level. The setup has much less understeer now and to me feels just about right for normal driving.

I used the site listed below to do my fitment calculations. My car's spec info is already plugged in.

Front: https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?whe...cl=57mm&sr=0mm

Rear: https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?whe...cl=61mm&sr=0mm
Attached Images

Last edited by AlpsRider; 02-05-2018 at 10:56 AM.. Reason: Added more information
Appreciate 3
      12-02-2017, 12:44 AM   #9
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
Here's mine. 2016 M235i, with BBS wheels (same as Dinan) 235/35/19 ET45, 265/30/19 ET48. Dinan springs which have a 1/2" drop in the front and 1" at the rear. I think the drop is perfect for handling. With the big tires it has, the rear does look a bit slammed, but the body is level.
Nice! Looking at the front wheels I'm wondering whether you are using any spacer? I run the exactly same specs wheels/tires, but my fronts definitely seem to be sitting deeper in side the wheel well...

Piotr
my RWD pirate & long-distance cruiser: 2015 M235i AT8, LSD
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 06:42 PM   #10
Taunto
Car Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235 X-drive

Quote:
I just installed my Dinan springs with ride control on my xdrive. Front looks to be dropped exactly what I was expecting but the rear is slightly lower that I thought, actually putting the top of fender 1/4" lower to the ground than the front. Do the fronts tend to settle more and everything will balance out? I also had new OEM struts changed only a couple weeks ago from a warranty repair, maybe they haven't settled yet either? Has anyone experienced this with Dinan on the xdrives? Has anyone ran Dinan springs on front and MP springs or eibach rear?
I have installed dinan Springs with their Bump Stops on my X-Drive Car.
the X-drive model springs on dinan's are not soposed to be as low as the RWD models. That being said when i installed mine - i noticed the same thing as you.
Me personally I love it.. yes i would like the front of mine to be just slightly bit lower in the front but i like the stance. I also added 15mm Spacers all around on my car as well.

I have some pics to show.
The pictures of the Tires/drop are my winter tires im running.. Sadly i half to winter drive this car( not really sad this car is a blast in the snow lol)
Tires are 225/45/R18 all around and yes they rub slightly..Going to try and remove the spacers for the winter tires, hopefully that will help the slight rubbing during the winter months.

Any more questions feel free to ask.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      12-11-2017, 09:16 PM   #11
Tcmcec
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunto View Post
Quote:
the X-drive model springs on dinan's are not soposed to be as low as the RWD models. That being said when i installed mine - i noticed the same thing as you.
Me personally I love it.. yes i would like the front of mine to be just slightly bit lower in the front but i like the stance. I also added 15mm Spacers all around on my car as well.

The pictures of the Tires/drop are my winter tires im running.. Sadly i half to winter drive this car( not really sad this car is a blast in the snow lol)
Tires are 225/45/R18 all around and yes they rub slightly..Going to try and remove the spacers for the winter tires, hopefully that will help the slight rubbing during the winter months.

Looks great! Ya I'm winter driving mine also. Not much of a choice being in Canada unless you only want to drive it for 8 months of the year, but like you said way too much fun in snow and slippery roads. I have 12mm rear and 10mm front for my winter rims and tires. 225/40/18, the stance is growing on me and I really like my winter setup, however they are no comparison to the PSS.
Appreciate 1
Taunto281.50
      12-14-2017, 07:50 PM   #12
Drpoomanchu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M235i Man FBO

Quote:
Here's mine. 2016 M235i, with BBS wheels (same as Dinan) 235/35/19 ET45, 265/30/19 ET48. Dinan springs which have a 1/2" drop in the front and 1" at the rear. I think the drop is perfect for handling. With the big tires it has, the rear does look a bit slammed, but the body is level.
Are you running MPSS .? Looks good BTW
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 08:00 PM   #13
Drpoomanchu
Captain
United_States
Rep

Mine is also RWD but think the Dinans are perfect height wise. Maybe the Xdrive settles in Deeper due to suspension geometry :
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 01:49 PM   #14
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drpoomanchu View Post
I'm running Michelin Pilot Sport 4S which is only available in 19" in most markets, the MPSS are excellent tires but when compared to the 4s new version, they are too soft for hot climates. They also suffered from roll over no matter how much air I put in them. The new 4s has stiffer sidewalls and appears to be wearing MUCH better than the stock MPSS, it's possible that the drop in height has improved the negative camber which was at about -1 degree after installing the Dinan springs and could be giving the outside edge a bit of a break.

I looked at buying your wheels too, they're really cool. It looks like we have the same taste in cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2017, 07:15 PM   #15
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: M2C, M235xi

I am not sure why Dinan does it but that rear does look slammed on some of the pictures, as if the suspension is almost fully compressed in the rear and hardly has any travel at all. I understand it may work when aesthetics are more important than function. I am not sure why the changes to the handling of the car that brings should be considered improvements. It was supposed to be a fun to drive car. Yes, it would make the car feel more planted. At the same time, when near its limits the car would no doubt have more understeer. On a practical side, what happens if you put 2 people in the back and/or some stuff in the trunk? How about the rear shocks and wheels longevity? Just saying...

Last edited by x233; 12-16-2017 at 08:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2017, 03:57 PM   #16
Drpoomanchu
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I'm running Michelin Pilot Sport 4S which is only available in 19" in most markets, the MPSS are excellent tires but when compared to the 4s new version, they are too soft for hot climates. They also suffered from roll over no matter how much air I put in them. The new 4s has stiffer sidewalls and appears to be wearing MUCH better than the stock MPSS, it's possible that the drop in height has improved the negative camber which was at about -1 degree after installing the Dinan springs and could be giving the outside edge a bit of a break.

I looked at buying your wheels too, they're really cool. It looks like we have the same taste in cars.
Very nice... I was wondering about tire selection because of the width of the MPSS. I would have like to have gone with a 235/265 setup but with my offsets it was a big gamble on wether they would clear even with the mild Dinan drop. Some manufacturers 265's measure like a 255 MPSS from what I have read. I could always use a little more meat under the carriage :
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 07:35 PM   #17
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Very nice... I was wondering about tire selection because of the width of the MPSS. I would have like to have gone with a 235/265 setup but with my offsets it was a big gamble on wether they would clear even with the mild Dinan drop. Some manufacturers 265's measure like a 255 MPSS from what I have read. I could always use a little more meat under the carriage :
I think you are right. The offsets on my wheels et45 front and et48 rear are the absolute limit for the MPS4S tires (235/35/19, 265/30/19) without doing modifications. I think they run even bigger than the MPSS tires. My fronts will just scuff the inside lip of the fender on very rare occasions, but it is really nothing, no damage. The rear tire would touch the insulation material on the fender just along the outside lip but I pulled it back a bit and now it doesn't touch. I wanted to love the way the car handled stock, but it just didn't satisfy me. Now the handling is crisp and it sticks to the road. Understeer has been reduced, now the car feels like it tracks right.
I think your wheels have a higher offset all the way around, but they are cool looking wheels. The BBS/Dinan wheels were the only ones I could find with the perfect offset besides custom order. I didn't want to run spacers.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 09:40 PM   #18
Drpoomanchu
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I think you are right. The offsets on my wheels et45 front and et48 rear are the absolute limit for the MPS4S tires (235/35/19, 265/30/19) without doing modifications. I think they run even bigger than the MPSS tires. My fronts will just scuff the inside lip of the fender on very rare occasions, but it is really nothing, no damage. The rear tire would touch the insulation material on the fender just along the outside lip but I pulled it back a bit and now it doesn't touch. I wanted to love the way the car handled stock, but it just didn't satisfy me. Now the handling is crisp and it sticks to the road. Understeer has been reduced, now the car feels like it tracks right.
I think your wheels have a higher offset all the way around, but they are cool looking wheels. The BBS/Dinan wheels were the only ones I could find with the perfect offset besides custom order. I didn't want to run spacers.
Mine are an ET40 in the front and ET44 in the rear so yes they sit closer to the fender than yours. When I was looking into wheels sometime ago, the only car that was heard to successfully run a 235/265 MPSS with a drop was the Dinan car. They modified the CH-R in 19's to the same specs you have. Really that is the perfect offset for the 235 to take full advantage of the beefiest tire. I just didn't want the CH-R to be honest.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 08:33 PM   #19
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Yep, the Dinans definitely look too low in the back for my liking. It would look a lot better with another 1/2" gap back there and at least another 1/4" in the front.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 08:38 AM   #20
nikman011
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 STi - IAG Trojan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunto View Post

Any issues with the splitter/lip being too low? I have dinan springs/bumps on my m240, and have been thinking about adding splitter/lip, but concerned that I might be a bit to low in front, ... thoughts?
your m235 is looking sweet!
      12-20-2017, 10:57 AM   #21
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

I suppose it depends on what wheel/tire height you have, my car which has a stock front bumper drags the black lip under the bumper often when leaving gas stations with a dip. The bumper also will catch parking lot concrete blocks. That is why I haven't added a lip to the front yet. Your mileage may vary...
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 11:07 AM   #22
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Yep, the Dinans definitely look too low in the back for my liking. It would look a lot better with another 1/2" gap back there and at least another 1/4" in the front.
Ideally I would prefer that as well, but I think Dinan made the drop that way for a reason because it handles great with decreased understeer.
Appreciate 0