THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning LSD on X

12-10-2017, 09:48 AM   #1
Tcmcec
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '16 Mineral Gray M235i

LSD on X

Has anyone done this yet? If so are the benefits worth it on the X compared to the RWD?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 06:18 PM   #2
mikeyymonster
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcmcec View Post
Has anyone done this yet? If so are the benefits worth it on the X compared to the RWD?
I totally thought you meant taking LSD while on ecstasy..
Appreciate 2
Dylan861330.00
amw896582.50
      12-10-2017, 07:42 PM   #3
nikman011
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 STi - IAG Trojan

When they were on sale, Black Friday, I asked my dealer about an LSD for my xDrive, and they told me they do not make one for it, only for rear wheel drive vehicles
      12-11-2017, 03:11 PM   #4
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikman011 View Post
When they were on sale, Black Friday, I asked my dealer about an LSD for my xDrive, and they told me they do not make one for it, only for rear wheel drive vehicles
I wonder how true that statement is, though. Do they not have a "catalogue" option? Or will it downright not fit, at all? With my knowledge of the rear ends on these cars, they're relatively the same, at least from a physical standpoint. And being a mechanical unit, it should work, in theory, if it bolts up
      12-11-2017, 03:14 PM   #5
nikman011
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 STi - IAG Trojan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
I wonder how true that statement is, though. Do they not have a "catalogue" option? Or will it downright not fit, at all? With my knowledge of the rear ends on these cars, they're relatively the same, at least from a physical standpoint. And being a mechanical unit, it should work, in theory, if it bolts up
If they are, then I definitely want one, and with the discount they had on BlackFriday, to me it would be a no brainer. So I guess at this point, when someone finds out for sure, and if it is YES, then I will get one BlackFriday 2018.
      12-11-2017, 09:21 PM   #6
Tcmcec
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '16 Mineral Gray M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikman011 View Post
Quote:
If they are, then I definitely want one, and with the discount they had on BlackFriday, to me it would be a no brainer. So I guess at this point, when someone finds out for sure, and if it is YES, then I will get one BlackFriday 2018.
I agree
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 07:02 PM   #7
SerenVoX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M235i Xdrive

I don't know much about how an Xdrive and LSD work, but I will say that I did read on an LSD thread here a while back ago this question was brought up. I gathered people saying that an LSD on an Xdrive would be pointless.. I guess from what I remember reading, if its even possible, an xdrive would be better anyways, hence it would be pointless.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 12:30 PM   #8
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenVoX View Post
I don't know much about how an Xdrive and LSD work, but I will say that I did read on an LSD thread here a while back ago this question was brought up. I gathered people saying that an LSD on an Xdrive would be pointless.. I guess from what I remember reading, if its even possible, an xdrive would be better anyways, hence it would be pointless.
The LSD, on an x-drive car would be beneficial to the right individual (track use, high HP drag racing). If you want to get more rear bias on the AWD model, this is the way to get there from a mechanical standpoint. I've done it on full time AWD systems, like Quattro, and it's incredible what it can do for the driving experience. I think the reason it's not a "catalogue" option, is due to the final drive ratio on the x-drive vs RWD.

Either way, you guys paid a premium for X-Drive, I wouldn't bother, unless you're really trying to get the rear bias feel, or top line performance of this type of mod..
      12-13-2017, 05:48 PM   #9
SerenVoX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M235i Xdrive

Quote:
The LSD, on an x-drive car would be beneficial to the right individual (track use, high HP drag racing). If you want to get more rear bias on the AWD model, this is the way to get there from a mechanical standpoint. I've done it on full time AWD systems, like Quattro, and it's incredible what it can do for the driving experience. I think the reason it's not a "catalogue" option, is due to the final drive ratio on the x-drive vs RWD.

Either way, you guys paid a premium for X-Drive, I wouldn't bother, unless you're really trying to get the rear bias feel, or top line performance of this type of mod..
Thank you, I knew my comment would bring out a better explanation. I'm guessing others then stated it was pointless from an average user standpoint.. Like you said, wouldn't bother as I'm guessing that kinda top of the line performance would matter if the rest of the car could handle the power for HP drag racing? Would it really make a big difference in drag times with lets say 500awhp to dial in more rear bias?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 06:31 PM   #10
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenVoX View Post
Thank you, I knew my comment would bring out a better explanation. I'm guessing others then stated it was pointless from an average user standpoint.. Like you said, wouldn't bother as I'm guessing that kinda top of the line performance would matter if the rest of the car could handle the power for HP drag racing? Would it really make a big difference in drag times with lets say 500awhp to dial in more rear bias?
No worries, just sharing my personal experience, as I had a Quaife rear end in my B5 S4 (single big turbo swap) and it made a huge difference for launching (cut .2 off my 60' times). It also really improved the cornering behaviour with the Quattro AWD. That car was making around 540awhp, and spun all four without the LSD. What it helped with, primarily, was the ability to feel that "push" from the rear end, a true rear bias "feel" something you usually only feel with a RWD car.

Since the X-Drive is already a rear-biased setup, I wouldn't consider such a thing, unless you're going for 8-9s passes. Also, if you change your suspension, it can throw off your launching bias, as well, so there is more to consider than just the mechanical aspect of the LSD. Consider the weight transfer with stock suspension vs a tuned performance coilover.. With OEM suspension, these cars sag well and load up to the point where you don't get much of the negative effects of high HP AWD, but as soon as you throw a stiff spring or coilover, the game changes for launching. You want a soft spring setup with adequate damper rebound adjustment, to dial this in perfectly.. A lot of guys do coilovers/wheels when they first buy their car, then turn it into a 600hp beast and oversee this aspect quite often.

Just my $.02
      12-14-2017, 09:37 AM   #11
rainfall
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A

Some AWD cars have LSD standard from the factory, so I would think this is a well thought design decision.

like the others said, I'm not sure how much incremental value it brings on an AWD car, if you compare to the incremental benefit the LSD brings to the RWD version.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 03:15 PM   #12
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainfall View Post
Some AWD cars have LSD standard from the factory, so I would think this is a well thought design decision.

like the others said, I'm not sure how much incremental value it brings on an AWD car, if you compare to the incremental benefit the LSD brings to the RWD version.
This is true. The newer B8+ S4 have the optional "LSD" which is a live/active hydraulic LSD, very well thought out. It basically vectors the load distribution in the rear end to apply the most power to the wheel with the most grip, and can send it instantly to the opposing side, it's pretty trick.. There are controllers you can buy that allow you to lock it, completely, like a Haldex controller, but it's not too common of a mod, because it works so well as an "active LSD". Those S4's are heavy tanks, though, they need it!
      12-19-2017, 10:13 PM   #13
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcmcec View Post
Many have done it in the past on 335ix. Even in the x you will still benefit from a good limited slip differential.

For actual applications send us a PM.
Appreciate 0