THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery Order arriving but have not negotiated price?

04-08-2015, 01:13 AM   #1
Mjosh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Order arriving but have not negotiated price?

Hello everyone,

My CA called me and said the vehicle will be ready for delivery this weekend but I have not negotiated the price yet. I live in Los Angeles and not sure whats a fair deal and requesting some help if possible. Below are the details for the vehicle and need some suggestions before going to the dealer to talk numbers. Hate this part... What is a fair deal on this build I should be looking for? Thanks in advance!

Index Description MSRP
Base Price $43,100.00
ZMT Manual Transmission 0.00
ZDA Driver Assistance Package 950.00
ZTP Technology Package 2,150.00
494 Heated Front Seats 500.00
4DL High Gloss Black Trim Highlight 0.00
Metallic Paint 550.00
Dakota Leather Upholstery 1,450.00

Special Orders & Port Added Accessories 2,405.00
Destination and Handling 950.00

TOTAL AS EQUIPPED $52,055.00
SELLING PRICE $52,055.00

Finance Information / Purchase
Lender BMW Financial Services
Term 60 Months
Rate 1.9%

Selling Price $52,055.00
Documentation Fee $80.00
Sales Tax ( 9%) $4,692.15
License & Registration $474.00

Cash Down $0.00
Trade Equity $0.00
Rebate $0.00

Total Down $0.00

Total Cost $57,301.15
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 06:51 AM   #2
2yo
Private
Rep
Drives: '15 228i xDrive

I have never heard of a dealer ordering the car for you before you discuss price or any finances, as I signed all but my financing agreement before he put the order in (maybe I did it weirdly? But I also got a phenomenal deal).

As far as a fair price, that all is bang on MSRP for the most part. I know that most of us have been able to negotiate it below MSRP (some of us even got it below invoice ), but you should definitely negotiate it down below MSRP. I'd try to get around 10% to make it somewhere around 52-53. I live on the east coast, and I have seen plenty of threads in this forum stating that deals are hard to come by in the Wild Wild West (insert Will Smith joke here). Also, I am pretty sure that BMWFS is offering 0.9% financing, not 1.9%…..so you might want to check on that as well.

At the same time, the car is already ordered and being sent. The dealer knows that he has the idea that he can hold firm with the price, and if you don't agree with it and walk away, you will have to wait a full 6-8 weeks for another ordered one from another dealer unless you find one similarly equipped somewhere else in the country. I know most people who are buying this car usually cannot wait and lose sleep during the shipping period (me included ). Don't let him/her hold that idea over your head. Be prepared to walk away and wait if you are not comfortable with the price. Also, double check the fine print on anything you signed in case you put a deposit down previously or something.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 08:56 AM   #3
WhollySmokes
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i 6MT

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
Edmunds puts invoice price at $46,195.00 for a build with those options and a Los Angeles destination charge. That's not including port-installed options or TTL. I was able to get invoice pricing in Los Angeles with little effort.

I believe 0.9% financing is only currently available on 36 month financing. From what I've been seeing, 1.9% is about right for a 60-month term.

My experience has been similar to ant's so far, agreeing on price and taking care of everything aside from the finalization of financing terms, at order time.

If you haven't signed/agreed to anything, I'd still try to negotiate. If you're actually willing to walk away, I wouldn't see why they'd blow a sure-thing sale over a couple Gs. I'm certainly no car salesman though, so take that for what it's worth.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 09:52 AM   #4
gaijin
Mess Deck Commando
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

+1 to both above. One more item to add. Nothing says you have to order your M235i from a local dealership, even one in your region. You can opt to order from a dealership clear across the east coast and elect BMW Performance Center Delivery (PCD). You can use some of the money you saved either driving cross-country (road trip!) back home or ship it back home. Either ways should be a win-win for you not to mention the experience.
      04-08-2015, 10:07 AM   #5
MikeT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

I'm a little unclear about what's happening here...

Is this a car that the dealer custom-ordered to your specifications?

Or is it a car that the dealer ordered (without your participation) that just happens to be arriving this weekend and you're interested in it?

You say that you haven't 'negotiated' the price yet. If this was a custom order to your specifications, I really have a hard time believing that there's been no mention of price at all. You ordered a car, including port-installed options, and the dealer never indicated how much it would cost you? It could be that your dealer is under the impression (perhaps for good reason) that they have deal with you for MSRP. As much as we all have a natural inclination to take the side of the buyer over the dealer, at some point a deal is a deal. If in fact you have already pretty much agreed to MSRP, sure, you can chose to be the 'flaky buyer' and try to hold out for a discount. If that's the case, though, I wouldn't necessarily fault the dealer for being irritated with you.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 10:54 AM   #6
Fjk
Private First Class
Rep

I think You car is on the cygnus leader like mine! It's currently in Long Beach before reaching port (tonight?).
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 10:54 AM   #7
Fjk
Private First Class
Rep

I also haven't negotiated a price, but essentially in good faith was told it would be near invoice. There doesn't appear to be any incentives to bring it lower.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 10:59 AM   #8
Mjosh
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant601 View Post
I have never heard of a dealer ordering the car for you before you discuss price or any finances, as I signed all but my financing agreement before he put the order in (maybe I did it weirdly? But I also got a phenomenal deal).

As far as a fair price, that all is bang on MSRP for the most part. I know that most of us have been able to negotiate it below MSRP (some of us even got it below invoice ), but you should definitely negotiate it down below MSRP. I'd try to get around 10% to make it somewhere around 52-53. I live on the east coast, and I have seen plenty of threads in this forum stating that deals are hard to come by in the Wild Wild West (insert Will Smith joke here). Also, I am pretty sure that BMWFS is offering 0.9% financing, not 1.9%…..so you might want to check on that as well.

At the same time, the car is already ordered and being sent. The dealer knows that he has the idea that he can hold firm with the price, and if you don't agree with it and walk away, you will have to wait a full 6-8 weeks for another ordered one from another dealer unless you find one similarly equipped somewhere else in the country. I know most people who are buying this car usually cannot wait and lose sleep during the shipping period (me included ). Don't let him/her hold that idea over your head. Be prepared to walk away and wait if you are not comfortable with the price. Also, double check the fine print on anything you signed in case you put a deposit down previously or something.
Thanks for the input! I thought it was odd not discussing pricing for a order but figured the process should be the same as if I walked in and try to negotiate a deal with any vehicle on the lot. When you say 52-53 that's with or without taxes? Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 11:02 AM   #9
Mjosh
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhollySmokes View Post
Edmunds puts invoice price at $46,195.00 for a build with those options and a Los Angeles destination charge. That's not including port-installed options or TTL. I was able to get invoice pricing in Los Angeles with little effort.

I believe 0.9% financing is only currently available on 36 month financing. From what I've been seeing, 1.9% is about right for a 60-month term.

My experience has been similar to ant's so far, agreeing on price and taking care of everything aside from the finalization of financing terms, at order time.

If you haven't signed/agreed to anything, I'd still try to negotiate. If you're actually willing to walk away, I wouldn't see why they'd blow a sure-thing sale over a couple Gs. I'm certainly no car salesman though, so take that for what it's worth.
Thanks for posting the invoice! So now would it be fair to add the port installed options plus 500-1000 and start from that price point? I have not signed anything, not even put a deposit down for this order but the vehicle is right around the corner now...
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 11:04 AM   #10
Mjosh
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
+1 to both above. One more item to add. Nothing says you have to order your M235i from a local dealership, even one in your region. You can opt to order from a dealership clear across the east coast and elect BMW Performance Center Delivery (PCD). You can use some of the money you saved either driving cross-country (road trip!) back home or ship it back home. Either ways should be a win-win for you not to mention the experience.
Thanks good to know for the future. I thought it had to be local until I started to browse around the forums here.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 11:17 AM   #11
Mjosh
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
I'm a little unclear about what's happening here...

Is this a car that the dealer custom-ordered to your specifications?

Or is it a car that the dealer ordered (without your participation) that just happens to be arriving this weekend and you're interested in it?

You say that you haven't 'negotiated' the price yet. If this was a custom order to your specifications, I really have a hard time believing that there's been no mention of price at all. You ordered a car, including port-installed options, and the dealer never indicated how much it would cost you? It could be that your dealer is under the impression (perhaps for good reason) that they have deal with you for MSRP. As much as we all have a natural inclination to take the side of the buyer over the dealer, at some point a deal is a deal. If in fact you have already pretty much agreed to MSRP, sure, you can chose to be the 'flaky buyer' and try to hold out for a discount. If that's the case, though, I wouldn't necessarily fault the dealer for being irritated with you.
This is actually a custom order that I built and sent to the dealer back in January. During the order I asked if I should put down a deposit and the CA that assisted me said there is no need. Only a credit application if I wanted to lock the interest rate (3.12 at the time I believe).

After the build was complete I was provided a production number and went through the tracking process. When the car was in the "finishing touches stage" I emailed the CA that assisted me to get a eta. I then receive a email from someone else stating my CA is no longer working at the dealership anymore and he will be assisting me moving forward.

At no point during this whole process price was discussed. Only thing I was asked if I wanted to finance or lease. I just figured we can settle on a deal when the vehicle arrives but paying MSRP... I thought this would be just like negotiating any deal on a vehicle that is on the lot? But maybe your right they have the impression I'm going to pay MSRP for this
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 11:18 AM   #12
Mjosh
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjk View Post
I think You car is on the cygnus leader like mine! It's currently in Long Beach before reaching port (tonight?).
That's correct!!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 12:20 PM   #13
Fjk
Private First Class
Rep

There are others who have gotten below invoice as a result of incentives.

In the SoCal area I think within $500 of invoice is competitive. There are even F80 owners getting close to that, so our mid-range cars really should not have to go higher than that.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 12:58 PM   #14
Gatte
Major
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjosh View Post
That's correct!!
Mjosh Did your dealer give you an expected date of arrival at dealership ??
I am with you on the CYGNUS LEADER as well so trying to figure out when I might have my car.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 01:36 PM   #15
2yo
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the input! I thought it was odd not discussing pricing for a order but figured the process should be the same as if I walked in and try to negotiate a deal with any vehicle on the lot. When you say 52-53 that's with or without taxes? Thanks again
I was speaking to 52 to 53k AFTER taxes and fees.

As far as the 0.9% financing, my finance deal is 5 years (60 months) and they still gave it to me at the dealer, granted I plan to pay it off in 2 1/2 years anyway. Signed, sealed, delivered. It was in the computer when they brought up my info for the financing. I'm def not complaining that I got the 0.9%.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 02:00 PM   #16
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

What's is your sales tax in California?
Since sales tax can be high in the state - as a base negotiating tactic do Out The Door pricing and make sure that figure is not more then MSRP.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 03:22 PM   #17
Mjosh
Private First Class
Rep

My dealer told me Thursday night but I scheduled for the weekend.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 03:24 PM   #18
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
What's is your sales tax in California?
Since sales tax can be high in the state - as a base negotiating tactic do Out The Door pricing and make sure that figure is not more then MSRP.
Our sales tax is county based. LA would be 9% sales tax.

To the previous poster saying that people are getting $500 over invoice on the M3, note there are many more M3s in southern California dealer lots than there are M235i's. $500 over invoice on an M235i is not "competitive"... it's a steal. I would pay no more than $1500 over invoice with no other markups above standard.
      04-08-2015, 03:50 PM   #19
Gatte
Major
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels.

Quote:
My dealer told me Thursday night but I scheduled for the weekend.
Thursday night ??.
The Cygnus Leader gets to port only on Thursday. Thursday Night is a bit too optimistic for the delivery. Are you sure that your car was on the Cygnus Leader ??.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 04:22 PM   #20
Mjosh
Private First Class
Rep

My apologies I was on the Tirranna...
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 04:53 PM   #21
Mjosh
Private First Class
Rep

My dealer just called and said the car arrived at the dealer today... Time to go see if I can strike a fair deal.

Thanks everyone for your replies!!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 06:30 AM   #22
2yo
Private
Rep

Quote:
My dealer just called and said the car arrived at the dealer today... Time to go see if I can strike a fair deal.

Thanks everyone for your replies!!
Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Appreciate 0