THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum It's happening! I finally found a good spec M235i and I put a deposit down

03-10-2020, 08:13 PM   #1
1more1
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT EB

I'm coming from a 2009 128i that I've been super happy with. Never thought I'd be a BMW guy but now I'm moving on to number 2.

I found this 2014 Estoril Blue M235i 6MT 59,000 KM w/ black leather and it has the big IDrive screen - no accidents on record. Looking at 24k CAD in Ontario. This is good from what I've seen locally and mileage is much lower than most for a 2014.

I'm going to look at the car again and they said they'll put it on a lift for me and let me take a look around. I'm just wondering what I should look out for specifically on these cars? Also what tools do I need to get the bottom trays off? Even other stuff I should check in or around the car. I noticed that the door creaked when it opened and a bolt holding the door hinge was clearly loose. I feel like that shouldn't happen unless someone touched it but why did they touch it?

Excited to get in this platform!
Appreciate 1
WolfGTI716.00
      03-11-2020, 02:14 PM   #2
j2dad5389
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Nothing I can think of specifically on these cars besides the usuals of looking at used cars (scratches/dings around it, good maintenance records, all the electronic portions work, etc.)
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 02:41 PM   #3
morriscat
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1more1 View Post
I noticed that the door creaked when it opened and a bolt holding the door hinge was clearly loose. I feel like that shouldn't happen unless someone touched it but why did they touch it?
That, plus the low price sounds like that car has been in an unreported wreck. I wouldn't buy that without and independent shop doing a PPI on it. Putting it up on a lift and eyeballing it isn't good enough by a long shot imho. Lotsa red flags there. Tread with caution.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 03:09 PM   #4
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
II noticed that the door creaked when it opened and a bolt holding the door hinge was clearly loose. I feel like that shouldn't happen unless someone touched it but why did they touch it?
That's not good. Someone has had that door off for some reason and usually that reason is due to a wreck. Perhaps the door was hit and they simply put on a different door. Not the end of the world, but the person doing the work may have not been a professional. Consider having a pre-purchase inspection done or at least research how to check for filler, over spray, and other obvious signs of repair.
      03-11-2020, 03:22 PM   #5
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

^^^This, for sure. It sounds like a REALLY good deal, and those can sometimes turn out to be not so good. A PPI is cheap insurance on these - lots of expensive bits can go bad from either hard use or neglect. Generally reliable, but I hear comments about leaking gaskets, idler pulley bearings, charge pipes, and there is a lot of maintenance that would be due by now if it wasn't already done. Look for aftermarket brake parts as a sign of substandard maintenance, since it is unlikely those would still be original.

I'd suspect an accident for the loose door (and a kind of sketchy repair, if it is visibly loose), so I'd look very carefully for signs of repair. This will often show in the sills, or overspray underneath; and in sunlight you may spot paint-blending (harder to match the metallics). Having a frame-alignment check as part of the PPI would be a good idea, at a minimum run a paint-depth gauge on it to look for bondo, especially in the sills. Other potential tip-offs for track use (but not really specific) would be signs of a lot of jacking or wheel-changing - unusually worn or beat up jack points and lug nuts, especially the center points, dings in the paint on the backs of the brake calipers, wear-signs on the brake bleeders, or signs that it has been put back to stock from mods (i.e. suspiciously nice stock exhaust or shocks, that don't match the wear/corrosion of nearby materials). Good luck, and if this one doesn't pan out, keep looking. They really are great cars, you just don't want to adopt a money pit.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 04:39 PM   #6
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
I'm going to look at the car again and they said they'll put it on a lift for me and let me take a look around. I'm just wondering what I should look out for specifically on these cars? Also what tools do I need to get the bottom trays off? Even other stuff I should check in or around the car. I noticed that the door creaked when it opened and a bolt holding the door hinge was clearly loose. I feel like that shouldn't happen unless someone touched it but why did they touch it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by morriscat View Post
I wouldn't buy that without and independent shop doing a PPI on it.
OP, if you're in the Toronto area BIMRS.org (https://www.bimrs.org/find-a-shop.html) lists Central Import Automotive in Toronto and Techmax Auto Repair Inc. in Mississauga. Both shops should be able to give you a detailed report on the condition of the car you're considering.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 06:45 PM   #7
1more1
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT EB

Thanks for the tips everyone!

I should clarify the apparent loose screw was for the door brake and not the hinge. I've heard a lot of car doors make this creaking sound and while it is odd I'm not sure it points immediately to an accident. I will pay careful attention to the area.

The car has a short shifter which appears to be the only mod. I'll keep an eye out for any other signs that it has been modded or abused but the car is pretty damn clean.

I should also mention the car is at a very reputable BMW dealership and not some random used car lot. They price their cars aggressively and do not do any haggling whatsoever. I don't think 24k is crazy low for this car. Last one I saw in similar spec was 90k KM with remaining CPO warranty for 23k and they were willing to negotiate.
Appreciate 0