THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Things I HATE about my 2 series

04-19-2016, 09:07 PM   #265
wjones14
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony235 View Post
Anyone know if there is a way to have the climate control stay off when starting the car?

I know you can do it via coding, but is there a way to do it using the existing controls?

It's one of the things gets on my nerves every time I get in the car.
I've heard this before, but mine remembers the previous setting. Until the sweltering summer weather comes around, I usually leave my Climate Control off, with the A/C also off, and it just stays that way. I didn't code anything or even mess with the iDrive settings for that.
      04-21-2016, 05:02 PM   #266
rezilient
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Cabriolet

Would love to hear from people who have taken their M235i RWD to the track or autocross. How did it perform in the corners? Did you fully switch off DSC?
2002 M5 (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 09:08 AM   #267
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenny View Post
2 series cars come from the factory with headlights aimed too low, or not aimed at all. IIHS recognizes this but tests them anyways since they state most people do not adjust their headlights after buying them, and some manufacturers suggest not adjusting them. test results end up being marginal.

thats my take at least.
Just read this post, looked at my bmwusa build info.. 'Standard Features' shows that 2016 M235i comes with "Xenon Adaptive Headlights with dynamic auto-leveling, Corona headlight-ringselin, and LED accent lights"

Isnt this supposed to take care of these issues?
      04-23-2016, 11:52 AM   #268
xantdieselx
Kingslayer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23' M3 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenny View Post
2 series cars come from the factory with headlights aimed too low, or not aimed at all. IIHS recognizes this but tests them anyways since they state most people do not adjust their headlights after buying them, and some manufacturers suggest not adjusting them. test results end up being marginal.

thats my take at least.
Just read this post, looked at my bmwusa build info.. 'Standard Features' shows that 2016 M235i comes with "Xenon Adaptive Headlights with dynamic auto-leveling, Corona headlight-ringselin, and LED accent lights"

Isnt this supposed to take care of these issues?
In a word no.

There is an auto leveling sensor attached to the front suspension that determines the ride height and will adjust the level of the headlamps but the lamps also have manual adjustments which are set too low from the factory.

The auto leveling can only compensate so much for lamps that are aimed too low to begin with.

Previous Cars: 2008' 135i, 2010' 328i, 2013' 328i, 2016' M235i, 2017' X1, 2019' M240i
Current Cars: 2019' X3, 2021' M3 Comp
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 12:00 PM   #269
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Not really an issue with my M235, but I have one with BMW. I've never seen a company so secretive about maintenance procedures, bolt/nut torque values, and even M-Performance install directions. As a DIYer, this is frustrating. Right now I want to install my M Performance exhaust, but a clear indication on where to make the piping cut is non-existent on the forums and of course there are no directions from BMW. My thread http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1253397.

For those wondering, I contacted Bentley (makers of 3rd part service manuals) and they told me they haven't started a service manual for the 2 series yet
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2016, 01:48 PM   #270
Beartato
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Not really an issue with my M235, but I have one with BMW. I've never seen a company so secretive about maintenance procedures, bolt/nut torque values, and even M-Performance install directions. As a DIYer, this is frustrating. Right now I want to install my M Performance exhaust, but a clear indication on where to make the piping cut is non-existent on the forums and of course there are no directions from BMW. My thread http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1253397.

For those wondering, I contacted Bentley (makers of 3rd part service manuals) and they told me they haven't started a service manual for the 2 series yet
As someone who wants to install an M Performance LSD himself I feel you brah. The M Performance front splitter came with instructions but I've been told the LSD doesn't. Seems odd. For the LSD itself even Quaife and Wavetac LSDs don't seem to have instructions nor any company here who will install and ship you a pumpkin with those installed, at least what I've seen. No DIY threads about the install either. The closest I've come is a sponsor here directed me to this site: https://www.bmwtechinfo.com/, might have the MPE instructions.

Not to call anyone out, but if I were a company selling a performance product on a car forum I'd supply install instructions. To me it seems like good business, though perhaps there are some legal challenges I'm not seeing that stops that.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 09:28 PM   #271
SeanE
Private
Rep
Drives: '16 m235i

Leaves and other nasty debris collects in the corners and under the plastic lining under the trunk lid. Gonna be a PITA to clean that out.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 10:48 PM   #272
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanE View Post
Leaves and other nasty debris collects in the corners and under the plastic lining under the trunk lid. Gonna be a PITA to clean that out.
Dry paintbrush usually gets those out pretty easy before a car wash. Then wipe them out and add some spray wax after the wash.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 06:34 AM   #273
zentanker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M Sport 228i Mineral Grey

The lack of a temperature gauge annoys the shit out of me. I suppose engine failure, knocking head warping and/ or steam is what is supposed to pass for a temperature gauge?

Really?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 07:09 AM   #274
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony235 View Post
Anyone know if there is a way to have the climate control stay off when starting the car?

I know you can do it via coding, but is there a way to do it using the existing controls?

You have to hold the fan speed lower button down and turn it off manually. When I bought my M235i, the dealer had the fan on. It will stay on every time, until you hold the fan lower button down and turn it completely off. This is my first new BMW and I had to figure that out. I hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 01:21 PM   #275
Beartato
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentanker View Post
The lack of a temperature gauge annoys the shit out of me. I suppose engine failure, knocking head warping and/ or steam is what is supposed to pass for a temperature gauge?

Really?
Considering modern engineering a temperature gauge functions more of as a feel good gauge than anything functional with daily driving. Would knowing your approximate water temperature really improve anything? The engine will correct any cooling discrepancies before you'd even notice it, and if there is some catastrophic failure that temperature gauge isn't gonna become a fortune teller and let you know beforehand.

Same thing with oil temperature and oil pressure, what can the gauges tell you that the ECU isn't already adjusting for? I can kind of see the argument for oil temp so you know when it's warmed up, though even then I dunno. Maybe I'm putting a lot of faith in BMW properly engineering good engine management, but I can understand the elimination of those gauges from the dash.

For track use, look no further than the Focus ST. It's fully spec'd out with water and oil temp along with oil pressure and a "boost" gauge, and how many people actually use those gauges on the track? I used to be part of that world, back when the ST had just come out (until I realized that much power to the front wheels was balls). Let me tell you, literally no one I knew used them. The water temp wouldn't move even if you were running hot, the oil temp gauge was fake and its reading was derived from the water reading, the oil pressure gauge and the boost gauge were too non-descriptive (only three marks on the face for each, so it was a guessing game) to be useful. You needed ECU accurate reading? Hook up your tuner and let'er rip.

Look, this has been a long cynical post but my bottom line is I'm glad BMW didn't stuff a bunch of useless info on the dash (efficiently gauge notwithstanding). For daily driving it's a nice clean set up, and for hard track use people are gonna use Torque Pro or equivalent to get all their readings.

Now if you're so autistic you can't wrap your head around trusting the ECU to actually control the engine temperature I don't know what to say. You'd probably have a heart attack if I told you there isn't a dipstick.
Appreciate 4
      04-30-2016, 04:48 PM   #276
Tpeterson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i MSport/THP/MT/

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnet View Post
You have to hold the fan speed lower button down and turn it off manually. When I bought my M235i, the dealer had the fan on. It will stay on every time, until you hold the fan lower button down and turn it completely off. This is my first new BMW and I had to figure that out. I hope that helps.
I do that all the time,but at the next startup the system is back on with the fan at the lowest setting. Only one time did it stay off.
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2016, 04:54 PM   #277
Tpeterson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentanker View Post

Really?
I put in a P3Cars gauge and the coolant temps fluctuate widely. I've seen 185F to 230F on the same drive! If the gauge were accurate and not a damped gauge ,aka idiot light, the gyrations would be maddening.But I like gauges that's why I went with an after market one.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 07:26 PM   #278
P7X
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6MT

Doors not unlocking on engine off. Coding soon!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 10:49 AM   #279
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
I've tried that before without success.

I do notice that it does randomly stay off sometimes, but I can't duplicate it.

Hmm, I wonder if the Auto Climate has to be turned off first when you do the push and hold. I will try that next
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 11:28 AM   #280
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony235

Mine is off when I turn on the car if it's off when I last turned off the car. MY16 US spec.

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 11:32 AM   #281
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony235
Quote:
I've tried that before without success.

I do notice that it does randomly stay off sometimes, but I can't duplicate it.

Hmm, I wonder if the Auto Climate has to be turned off first when you do the push and hold. I will try that next
I don't push and hold. i just press fan down repeatedly until it turns off. Basically one click below the lowest auto fan speed. My system is always on auto when it's actually on.

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 11:34 AM   #282
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P7X
This plus radio/iDrive off on door open will change your life lol

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 12:12 PM   #283
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpeterson View Post
I do that all the time,but at the next startup the system is back on with the fan at the lowest setting. Only one time did it stay off.
BMW likes you to have your HVAC system running. And they're German!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 12:57 PM   #284
Tpeterson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
BMW likes you to have your HVAC system running. And they're German!
I guess we can't be trusted to make the right decisions about HVAC.They know best!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 05:31 PM   #285
P7X
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero
Quote:
Originally Posted by P7X
This plus radio/iDrive off on door open will change your life lol
Agreed. Tons of little things I'll change but those two for sure.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 08:43 AM   #286
chattanooga240
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i

The two items above, and rear cup holders!!
Appreciate 0