THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Spied: BMW M235i Racing testing some updates

09-02-2015, 01:25 PM   #89
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46 M3+S62, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Exactly, you will start to see how everything begins to unfold.
This is good news! I have been waiting for the M235 to turn into the M2 race car since day one. Maybe my next BMW purchase??
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 01:37 PM   #90
clubsport
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LBB

1) I wanna see shots of the black test car up on a lift. What else is she hiding.

2) Hopefully, the M6 is an interim factory platform. I would LOVE to see these in ALMS and WEC when the Z4 is put to sleep.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 01:54 PM   #91
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubsport View Post
1) I wanna see shots of the black test car up on a lift. What else is she hiding.

2) Hopefully, the M6 is an interim factory platform. I would LOVE to see these in ALMS and WEC when the Z4 is put to sleep.
That would be wonderful. BMW getting back to their roots. I'd be excited to see an M2 race car if they ever made one at Road Atlanta.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2015, 06:35 PM   #92
Advevo
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, E30 M3 DTM

Gearbox has been reprogrammed. No automatic shifting. Faster up and down shifts.

Gearbox works great on the 235i cup
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 11:30 PM   #93
scottn2retro
Major
Rep
Drives:

When the word about the M235i Racing came out, everybody was telling me "Scott, you need one of those". My answer was always "I already have something better". After inquiring about the car with BMW in Munich and finally seeing the car on track at Oktoberfest, my answer is still that I already have something better.

Will Turner brought one to O'fest at New Jersey and working with BMW and Club Racing was able to get the classed as H-Prepared (even though the car clearly has Mod class modifications and was on slicks). That accomplished two things: it allowed a car that did not fit well into any BMW Club Racing class to run in a class by itself and not affect the standings/points for any other racer. It also allowed the car to run in the 'slow' group where the fastest cars were I-Sport e36 M3's and a Spec e46 car on R-comp tires (and Will Turner is not exactly a slouch behind the wheel). So my first impression is that it's a really slow car for somebody to spend $80K plus tax and destination charges.

But getting a field win in the O'fest slow group with an N54/N55 engine is something we've already done with a 2008 135i that was still street registered/insured. Twice - in 2008 in the rain at Watkins Glen and in 2011 at Barber. In a car that I drove across the country.

It is a good looking race car and on the plus side, what would somebody be getting for their approx. $90K? Well, they would be getting a beautifully built turn-key race with high quality components on it. So no hassle of trying to built a fast, cost effective car from scratch starting with a used street car. They would also be getting a heavy car (over 3100 lbs. without driver) with no real aero on it. They would also be getting a car that does not fit well into existing race classes in the US. For BMW Club Racing, it has Modified class improvements on it, but the buyer would have to spend a lot of money on top of the $80K plus in order to make the car Mod class fast. The same problem for running in NASA GTS classes. It has too much power and weight to be good where cars are classed by weight/power ratios. Pro racing would be a possibility (Like Pirelli World Challenge) where the final cost of a pro race car may make that price for a factory prepared turn key car a good starting point (and maybe that is what Will Turner is looking at now that TMS is racing in PWC).

But for the amateur racer in the US, the car as built would need to race in a special class just for that car like they have in the VLN series in Germany. From what I hear, BMW plans to bring 100 in the US. Is that enough, once the cars are spread around the country, to have any decent number of them in any one race at a time? And I doubt all 100 are going to show up at the dock at the same time. In between selling cars to VLN teams, cars will have to become available for the US market. There are probably already over 100 Spec e46 cars built or being built right now. BMW could be planning something along the lines of what VW did some years ago with the Spec Jetta series that VW themselves operated (which were not really good race cars that were also very slow).

I have no doubt that there are enough BMW faithful out there to buy 100 of those cars, even if they intend to do nothing more than put them in a warehouse and look at them. But for an amateur racer in the US that doesn't need to be able to brag about having a BMW factory built race car, there is definitely better racing to be had for the money.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2015, 09:05 PM   #94
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottn2retro View Post
BMW could be planning something along the lines of what VW did some years ago with the Spec Jetta series that VW themselves operated (which were not really good race cars that were also very slow).
Honestly, that's exactly what I thought the M235i Racing was going to be when it first showed up. As you pointed out, the car isn't well suited for club racing because it's not "stock", and it's not fast enough to be competitive in most modified classes. I was expecting a "cup" racing series to show up with BMW running the series and incentivizing the entire production by keeping costs low.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2015, 09:52 PM   #95
Cpdbeemer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i & X6 5.0

It is a very heavy race car.
      10-03-2015, 11:23 PM   #96
scottn2retro
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
Honestly, that's exactly what I thought the M235i Racing was going to be when it first showed up. As you pointed out, the car isn't well suited for club racing because it's not "stock", and it's not fast enough to be competitive in most modified classes. I was expecting a "cup" racing series to show up with BMW running the series and incentivizing the entire production by keeping costs low.
We'll have to see how this whole thing plays out. We don't know everything BMW may be planning and with Will Turner putting air jacks in the one he's got, I get the feeling he's going to take that one in a different direction like the slower class in PWC.

I love the idea of BMW making an entry level factory race car and bringing here to the US. What I don't like is how they configured the car. If it's going to be $80K, then just go ahead and add another $10K and reduce the weight (CF body parts) and add some aero.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2015, 11:36 PM   #97
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottn2retro View Post
We'll have to see how this whole thing plays out. We don't know everything BMW may be planning and with Will Turner putting air jacks in the one he's got, I get the feeling he's going to take that one in a different direction like the slower class in PWC.

I love the idea of BMW making an entry level factory race car and bringing here to the US. What I don't like is how they configured the car. If it's going to be $80K, then just go ahead and add another $10K and reduce the weight (CF body parts) and add some aero.
That would be interesting. I haven't read the detailed ruleset, but I get the feeling it would end up in PWC's TC class. I wonder if this new wing would be considered OEM? I guess so.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2015, 01:28 PM   #98
scottn2retro
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
That would be interesting. I haven't read the detailed ruleset, but I get the feeling it would end up in PWC's TC class. I wonder if this new wing would be considered OEM? I guess so.
Well, the car is already Mod class as far as BMW Club Racing goes, so OEM doesn't matter (just like the tacked on fender flares). I'm now hearing they are thinking of re-configuring the car for the US and the final cost would be a shade over $100K. People probably spend that much or more to build a new Mod class car (like an e92 M3).
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2015, 02:25 PM   #99
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottn2retro
Quote:
Well, the car is already Mod class as far as BMW Club Racing goes, so OEM doesn't matter (just like the tacked on fender flares). I'm now hearing they are thinking of re-configuring the car for the US and the final cost would be a shade over $100K. People probably spend that much or more to build a new Mod class car (like an e92 M3).
Yeah, for sure. I was looking over the PWC class structure though and TC restricts cars to OEM spoilers only. As you pointed out, this is irrelevant for BMW Club racing, but it would be a factor if someone (Will Turner) took this car to PWC.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2016, 06:02 PM   #100
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nike001 View Post
I was thinking the same. Or an M2 GTS.

Since the M2 hasn't finished it's own build yet, I wouldn't be surprised if they were using an M235i shell w/ M2 bits finished even further with CSL/GTS items.

I don't see any reason why BMW would need/want to finish the M235i even further, nonetheless adding a wing. I think they're trying to hide something in plain sight
I am ABSOLUTELY convinced of this.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 11:35 AM   #101
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiguelY View Post
Are we sure that isn't a M2 CSL?
I sure wonder....

I sure haven't seen an update for the M235 racing..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 12:31 PM   #102
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
I sure wonder....

I sure haven't seen an update for the M235 racing..
Here's a video of someone crashing a "M2 CSL" on the Nordschleife

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 12:34 PM   #103
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Look at all the M2 CSLs!

Appreciate 1
      04-25-2016, 12:47 PM   #104
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiguelY View Post
Are we sure that isn't a M2 CSL?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nike001 View Post
I was thinking the same. Or an M2 GTS.

Since the M2 hasn't finished it's own build yet, I wouldn't be surprised if they were using an M235i shell w/ M2 bits finished even further with CSL/GTS items.

I don't see any reason why BMW would need/want to finish the M235i even further, nonetheless adding a wing. I think they're trying to hide something in plain sight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matski View Post
It does seem a little odd that they are going to throw a wing on it all of a sudden.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbennettksu View Post
M2 CSL
Quote:
Originally Posted by deemo319 View Post
The F87 M2 has completed its "build" and is also past its FEV (Final Evaluation Phase) a while ago.

This may very well be the M2 GTS hiding in plain sight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddman View Post
IMO, this is a very good question. Also why the camo on the wing edges? And elsewhere. Because of that, I'm not jumping on the M235i racing connection bandwagon.
This car has an intended purpose, obviously; but, its not clear yet what it may be.
You guys sure nailed it
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 06:52 PM   #105
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

It's cool how just a little more fender flare makes the M235i look a lot like the M2. I also think some of you may have nailed it. Looking at it another way though, I think it's cool to see the M235i used for official racing. I have got tired of hearing reviews constantly remind us that it's not an M car, but at least it's a little more than a car with a bunch of M badges.
Appreciate 0