THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics DIY and Coding Discussions Active sound ASD is not working

10-16-2016, 11:12 AM   #1
tengotengo
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235i

Question Active sound ASD is not working

I have an American 2016 F22 M235i.

I read all those topics about Active Sound and I was wondering if what I hear is generated sound or real, I wasn't sure if it's even working.

Turns out it wasn't working, because yesterday something happened and it worked, it was so loud and unusual inside the car that I even thought there's some sort of exhaust malfunction.

When I restarted my car, the sound was gone again.

I know all the topics are usually about disabling it, but my question is, how do I enable it?

I tried coding that ASD value and it doesn't affect anything.

From the coding perspective, everything seems to be enabled and yet it's not working.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 12:24 PM   #2
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

That's a bummer. Get an aftermarket exhaust and never worry about ASD ever again. That's what I did.

You may have some loose wiring too. Check out the ASD module. Look for the ASD bypass install thread for instructions on how to locate the module. If you're near a dealer take the car in. To verify that your ASD isn't working change driving modes as you cruise down the road. It should get louder when you switch from comfort to sport.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 01:38 PM   #3
harma24
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i Glacier Silver

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Consider yourself lucky and leave it alone! Disabling the ASD is one of the first things I plan on doing next weekend once I get my car. If I wanted fake engine noise, I would have ordered a fake engine!

If you really want it and have never coded it out, it's probably safe to assume it's not coded out. Especially since it's intermittent, the place to start would be wiring as BentZero suggested. Check the connector at the amp in the trunk. You'll need to remove the trunk liner to find it. Look for instructions on how to disable ASD; you'll find several videos on YouTube to guide you to it. If that's not it, take it back to the dealer. I would think it would be covered under warranty if something is loose.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 04:44 PM   #4
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by harma24 View Post
Consider yourself lucky and leave it alone! Disabling the ASD is one of the first things I plan on doing next weekend once I get my car. If I wanted fake engine noise, I would have ordered a fake engine!

If you really want it and have never coded it out, it's probably safe to assume it's not coded out. Especially since it's intermittent, the place to start would be wiring as BentZero suggested. Check the connector at the amp in the trunk. You'll need to remove the trunk liner to find it. Look for instructions on how to disable ASD; you'll find several videos on YouTube to guide you to it. If that's not it, take it back to the dealer. I would think it would be covered under warranty if something is loose.
While ASD in concept is lame I found it to be better than not having it when still running the stock exhaust. The car is just too quiet in stock form for my taste. I eventually had to push an exhaust higher up my priority list though and I couldn't be happier with my Fabspeed valvetronic.
Appreciate 0