THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Photos and Videos Car Magazine (SA) BMW M235i Coupé Track Test

05-29-2014, 09:47 AM   #23
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
And you base this claim on what?

Here is the Lotus Exige S and 1M times on another track in UK, Top Gear:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ower_Lap_Times

Shockingly Exige S is slower there too. Seemingly just a 0.1 sec but Lotus time is dry while 1M is faster on a damp track which Top Gear suggests to subtract 2 seconds further...means 2.1 seconds difference at the hand of Stig on a short track like Top Gear too.

If you watch the video in this thread again and pay attention to track times of all cars, you will see a few Lotus times there, Evora, Elise and Exige versions. None are faster than the 1M.

Again, what are you basing this claim on, can you share please?
^^ Some people underestimate the 1M and will continue to do so for their own reasons. It's gotten so much negative talk that some people fail to realize how great the car really is.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 09:55 AM   #24
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennu View Post
^^ Some people underestimate the 1M and will continue to do so for their own reasons. It's gotten so much negative talk that some people fail to realize how great the car really is.
Sure, how come a lowly parts bin car can be that performant...isn't it?

Well, obviously many who actually drives or had a real experience with 1M thinks otherwise, which includes very much the pro driver in this video.

Here is a comparo from fastest laps, another 4 track lap times quoted between the two...result is the same (God save us all):

http://fastestlaps.com/comparisons/l...r_m_coupe.html
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 09:59 AM   #25
Southjersey128
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
We all know that it is mostly marketing, but all they did was change from calling it an "is". Now they have a flow to their lineup like the Audi's do. Base, Mnumbered, Full M.
Afe Scoops and CAI, PBX, BMS Paddleshift upgrade, 261M's Powder Coated Gunmetal, 225/255 Michelin PSS, (BMW Performance: BBK, Illuminated Door Sills, Shifter Knob and Boot, E-Brake Handle, Steering Wheel, Front Strut Bar), E93 FSB, E92 RSB, M3 Rear Subframe Bushings, M3 Front Control Arms, HPA coilover kit (Koni Adjustables and Swift Springs), Steel Brake Hoses, Black Kidneys, Smoked LED side markers, Blacklines, Msport lip spoiler...
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 10:03 AM   #26
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Sure, how come a lowly parts bin car can be that performant...isn't it?

Well, obviously many who actually drives or had a real experience with 1M thinks otherwise, which includes very much the pro driver in this video.

Here is a comparo from fastest laps, another 4 track lap times quoted between the two...result is the same (God save us all):

http://fastestlaps.com/comparisons/l...r_m_coupe.html
Yup the 1M has really good times...They are actually both great cars but like I said the 1M is very underestimated. I've sat in a Lotus Exige and it was the most uncomfortable ride I have ever experienced. Even on a track day damn that would be torture for a few hours. But its all about preference I suppose.

Follow me on Insta

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 10:08 AM   #27
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southjersey128 View Post
We all know that it is mostly marketing, but all they did was change from calling it an "is". Now they have a flow to their lineup like the Audi's do. Base, Mnumbered, Full M.
In fact, there is nothing wrong really with the time or overall performance of the M235i. It is just fine. I had a good test drive with one and it is as fast as the 1M if with 8 speed auto and PSS equipped. 1M still feels a tiny bit stronger maybe but most people would not feel a noticeable difference and prefer easy-to-go-fast character of the M235i.

There is a mis-marketing which plagues an otherwise a very fine overall package of the M235i, it is not engineered to be a track weapon and people tend to forget that. The driver here praises the car yet some gets frustrated because it is 2 sec. slower than a 1M or a TT RS! If all we need is bragging rights than those will need to wait a M2 to fix the order in the universe.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 10:15 AM   #28
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southjersey128 View Post
In fact, there is nothing wrong really with the time or overall performance of the M235i. It is just fine. I had a good test drive with one and it is as fast as the 1M if with 8 speed auto and PSS equipped. 1M still feels a tiny bit stronger maybe but most people would not feel a noticeable difference and prefer easy-to-go-fast character of the M235i.

There is a mis-marketing which plagues an otherwise a very fine overall package of the M235i, it is not engineered to be a track weapon and people tend to forget that. The driver here praises the car yet some gets frustrated because it is 2 sec. slower than a 1M or a TT RS! If all we need is bragging rights than those will need to wait a M2 to fix the order in the universe.
Well said..also the 235 is cheaper and personally it looks better than the 1M (again IMHO). Ppl dont buy cars cuz of some random track times
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 10:17 AM   #29
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:

Off topic a little but how miles on your 1M?

Follow me on Insta

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 10:24 AM   #30
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennu View Post
Off topic a little but how miles on your 1M?
Around 10K miles, trying to keep it for fun times mostly and I have a short commute between work and home. Still got a few long journeys and road trips, some with family (wife, 2 kids) too. It is up to everything.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 10:26 AM   #31
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska325xi View Post
Well said..also the 235 is cheaper and personally it looks better than the 1M (again IMHO). Ppl dont buy cars cuz of some random track times
It looks elegant in person especially with a right color (I loved the Melbourne Red) but less aggressive stance than the 1M. Money would be well spent if an owner would spend as much as possible for the rear though, anything cf from M Performance catalog! Looks are personal choice like you said. Bang for buck I think it doesn't have competition.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 10:32 AM   #32
yaymitch
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS & 2022 RSQ8

This car has NO LSD. The claims BMW marketing made were with LSD. It also looked like the car had run-flats (ugh). What a waste of a review.
      05-29-2014, 05:03 PM   #33
WilliCO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 535 xDrive MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterM4
Quote:
Originally Posted by signes
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo
Good driver-bad hair-irrelevant journalist-honest review. Thanks for posting the video.

Small BMWs (that rock) on that track and some of their best competition:

1M: 1:24,81
M235i: 1:26,93
M135i: 1:27,87
135i: 1:28,50

Audi TT RS: 1:24,80
Lotus Exige S: 1:25,20
BMW (2009) M3: 1:25,50
Mercedes A45 AMG: 1:25,67
Renault Megane RS Trophy: 1:27,45
No way an Exige S is 0.5 sec a lap slower than a 1M...
Ditto.
Guys lotus no power....
No weight, either.
      05-30-2014, 07:02 AM   #34
ManCityFan
Banned
Rep
Drives: Evo IX MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaymitch View Post
It also looked like the car had run-flats (ugh).
how can you tell?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 09:36 AM   #35
yaymitch
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS & 2022 RSQ8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManCityFan View Post
how can you tell?
...can't really tell for sure but run-flats have harder edges which look more squared off to me. I probably should have said nothing after looking at it again. No way to really tell for sure from the video. But still, why test a car and compare it to others when it doesn't have all the performance options anyone who would track this car would add. It's not like the LSD is aftermarket, it is an option you order just like ordering non-runflat tires. That's why when others compared it to the 1M the M235 was equipped with LSD. Understanding the LSD's for the true M and non-M cars are different. It is still more of an apples to apples comparison at that point.
      05-30-2014, 11:48 PM   #36
1-2MANY
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

As great of a car this is, I'm thinking a 335i/435i with the factory M Performance power kit can give it a run for it's money...
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 02:27 PM   #37
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

Quote:

Ditto Oz. While I was driving the car I felt that things like the iDrive's rpm and torque read outs were a bit superfluous and distracting but the "feel" was pretty good although to my tastes it lacks the raw character of the 1M or even the M3--and as you rightfully observe, it is not a track weapon like those models.

I also test drove an Elise SC and rode around the track in an Exige. I have a love/hate thing with that marque.

Anyway, here's the same driver testing the 1M. Look at his face at 1:20 and compare it to how apathetic he is after getting out of the M235.

[u2b]http://youtu.be/S7NhgCpMoGI[/u2b]
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 08:25 AM   #38
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaymitch View Post
...can't really tell for sure but run-flats have harder edges which look more squared off to me. I probably should have said nothing after looking at it again. No way to really tell for sure from the video. But still, why test a car and compare it to others when it doesn't have all the performance options anyone who would track this car would add. It's not like the LSD is aftermarket, it is an option you order just like ordering non-runflat tires. That's why when others compared it to the 1M the M235 was equipped with LSD. Understanding the LSD's for the true M and non-M cars are different. It is still more of an apples to apples comparison at that point.
It's a press car. If you're going to blame someone, blame BMW. Also, as you pointed out, you can't really tell in the video whether it has run-flats, and the LSD isn't an option. I'm glad we've seen reviews with and without. I wouldn't call it an "option" because doesn't appear in the BYO configurator. M Performance parts aren't much different than, for example, the Ford Racing catalog. They're not factory installed options; they're first-party aftermarket.

It seems to me that a lot of people are just upset at the lap time, but keep in mind that this is one result with one car. Deon noted several times that he was holding a lower gear. Maybe that wasn't the best strategy? Maybe he wasn't over driving the chassis, which may have resulted in a better time. I still don't think any of those things are negative. This was a good representation of the M235i being driven the way it was engineered to drive. Sure, it might be possible to squeeze a little more out of the car, but that might also mean driving the tires off of it; which no one is going to do.

He praised the car for its strengths, which are a sporty (not track-ready) chassis and a great engine. There's absolutely nothing wrong with being 2 seconds off a car like the 1M when you look at the total package.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 09:49 AM   #39
843two
Rep
Drives: Mineral White, M-Sport 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspeed View Post
That's a mediocre time at Killarney. I really had high expectations for this car. Thought it would as fast, if not faster than the Audi TT RS.
The TT RS is a beast though, it has more power and weighs less than the 235.

2011 Audi A3 2.0t (past)

1999 M3 Coupe - Alpine White - Sand Beige Interior
Appreciate 0