THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Photos and Videos The Smoking Tire - 440 HP Dinan S3 M235i Video Review

01-15-2016, 04:10 PM   #23
melloww22
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan99 View Post
I got a quote from a dinan shop near me, and its not bad considering the product you get ~5k
For clarification purposes since no official pricing has been released on the N55 big turbo as of yet we are aiming for a ~5k package that would be comprised of the larger turbo, stage 4 DINANTRONICS, and the dual core intercooler. Those would be the 3 main components to the big turbo stage. Of course adding the exhaust and intake would yield some further gains (the complete package with intake and exhaust yielding 445 HP / 455 TRQ) but those base 3 components would be the bulk of the gains.
What other models would your N55 turbo upgrade fit? e90? F30?

Thank you in advance
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 04:12 PM   #24
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by teapain View Post
Would this available for F30 N55 with MWG?! Is there an ETA?
See 2 posts above yours...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahyoun View Post
You might need your eyes checked man. Not only does the m2 look better, the N55/S55 hybrid engine it has has a lot more room for mods. Ive lost all respect for dinan considering steve has a video criticizing piggybacks then releases his own piggyback months later. Dinan is no longer worth the money. My buddy's m4 has gone into limp mode numerous times with the dinan s2 tune. He's on the jb4 and hasnt had an issue yet.
The video you reference has been responded to and pointed out many times. You can do a google search to find Steve's exact response to the critical response he got from that video that explains the comments he made in detail (can't link to a competing forum, per rules).

In regards to your buddy constantly going into limp mode... The M3/M4 DINANTRONICS tune is our most solid tune for the new series engines and we have had next to no issues with those cars. Was the problem ever brought to Dinan's or the dealers attention so it could be addressed? It sounds like there may be something else going on since that would be the only M3/M4 that has reported a limp mode issue. The cars that we see those types of issues typically are resolved quickly and are due to installation errors or running a DP or some other outside variable.
Appreciate 3
      01-15-2016, 04:16 PM   #25
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloww22 View Post
What other models would your N55 turbo upgrade fit? e90? F30?

Thank you in advance
F series 2/3/4 cars... the one exception would be the F33 4 series convertibles since there is a brace in front of the radiator that hinders the intercooler installation (required component). However the turbo itself would fit just fine so in theory you could just use a competing brands intercooler that may fit although performance may vary a bit.
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2016, 04:20 PM   #26
N54B30A
Captain
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 2021 HS M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I don't need my eyes checked. I've said it multiple times in the 2 forums.......I don't care for the way the M2 looks at all, and I much prefer the looks of the 1M. I never said anything about the mod potential; both motors are still N55's. The use of big brother M parts applied to the 1M as well. You've lost respect for Dinan. That's your prerogative. That doesn't affect the way other people feel about his products. I've never used a Dinan product myself, so I have no personal opinion either way.
Yeah, both motors are n55's by nomenclature, doesnt mean they're the same. The block, pistons, rods and crank are different between the two. The m235 has an open deck block with cast in iron sleeves like the n54 whereas the m2 has a closed deck, twin wire arc spray instead of sleeves like the s55. My prerogative is based off of engineering analysis, coupled with information provided by former dinan engineers and business associates. The company is becoming a joke now ever since the bmw turbo era began. Steve doesnt even have a say in anything the company does. Theres a reason they're not nearly as powerful as they once were. I base my opinion off of functionality and reliability, two factual statistics. I love the 1m to death, but i wish it has a few parts that were different from the 135 in terms of the engine aside from a few cooling bolt ons and a tune. The n55 in the m2 and m235 are the two most dissimilar engines that share the same name in bmw history.
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2016, 04:49 PM   #27
SamGh
The Mechanic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30, 340 MSport

Smart idea showing the Lic plate though. I'm pretty sure CHP would love to see it and all they need is their judgement that you were over the limit... (i.e by seeing how fast you pass two signs)
      01-15-2016, 04:55 PM   #28
N54B30A
Captain
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 2021 HS M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
See 2 posts above yours...

The video you reference has been responded to and pointed out many times. You can do a google search to find Steve's exact response to the critical response he got from that video that explains the comments he made in detail (can't link to a competing forum, per rules).

In regards to your buddy constantly going into limp mode... The M3/M4 DINANTRONICS tune is our most solid tune for the new series engines and we have had next to no issues with those cars. Was the problem ever brought to Dinan's or the dealers attention so it could be addressed? It sounds like there may be something else going on since that would be the only M3/M4 that has reported a limp mode issue. The cars that we see those types of issues typically are resolved quickly and are due to installation errors or running a DP or some other outside variable.

Yeah it was, multiple times. The mountain view headquarters too. Remember the matte blue m4 on ice colored HRE's. Supposedly, the tune was uninstalled and reinstalled more than once.
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2016, 05:12 PM   #29
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahyoun
Quote:
I don't need my eyes checked. I've said it multiple times in the 2 forums.......I don't care for the way the M2 looks at all, and I much prefer the looks of the 1M. I never said anything about the mod potential; both motors are still N55's. The use of big brother M parts applied to the 1M as well. You've lost respect for Dinan. That's your prerogative. That doesn't affect the way other people feel about his products. I've never used a Dinan product myself, so I have no personal opinion either way.
Yeah, both motors are n55's by nomenclature, doesnt mean they're the same. The block, pistons, rods and crank are different between the two. The m235 has an open deck block with cast in iron sleeves like the n54 whereas the m2 has a closed deck, twin wire arc spray instead of sleeves like the s55. My prerogative is based off of engineering analysis, coupled with information provided by former dinan engineers and business associates. The company is becoming a joke now ever since the bmw turbo era began. Steve doesnt even have a say in anything the company does. Theres a reason they're not nearly as powerful as they once were. I base my opinion off of functionality and reliability, two factual statistics. I love the 1m to death, but i wish it has a few parts that were different from the 135 in terms of the engine aside from a few cooling bolt ons and a tune. The n55 in the m2 and m235 are the two most dissimilar engines that share the same name in bmw history.
You're not telling me anything that I don't know, and all of what you've said is largely irrelevant considering that my initial comment was an aesthetic criticism of the M2. You seem to have a wild hair up your rear end over Dinan; one that I don't share.
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2016, 05:35 PM   #30
cncmastr
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 Cecotto, F85, G05, G07,

Garage List
2018 X5 M  [0.00]
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2005 BMW X5 4.8is  [0.00]
2006 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
You're not telling me anything that I don't know, and all of what you've said is largely irrelevant considering that my initial comment was an aesthetic criticism of the M2. You seem to have a wild hair up your rear end over Dinan; one that I don't share.
That's hilarious! I have to use that one next time! I've always used hair up your ass but never a wild one!
      01-15-2016, 05:38 PM   #31
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahyoun View Post
Yeah it was, multiple times. The mountain view headquarters too. Remember the matte blue m4 on ice colored HRE's. Supposedly, the tune was uninstalled and reinstalled more than once.
Mountain View is a service center. Morgan Hill is headquarters.

Regardless, I know the car very well. He originally had issues when it was first installed due to a bad malfunctioning box if memory serves but that was resolved over a year ago at this point. He has since upgraded the vehicle to an S1 package and then some. He was one of our SEMA cars this year after all and has had his S1 package car on multiple video review channels, etc. I just talked to this individual in regards to possibly teaming up with us again for some events down south (like Bimmerfest) which he wants to do. He really wants to do more with Dinan in general as the car is "running like a beast". I inquired directly about your comment (good timing btw) and he said he hasn't had any issues since that original installation in early 2015.

I think you may simply have some out of date information you are going off of.
Appreciate 8
      01-15-2016, 05:46 PM   #32
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncmastr
Quote:
That's hilarious! I have to use that one next time! I've always used hair up your ass but never a wild one!
Lol! I had to add the qualifier because he continues to go on tirades over Dinan. He needs to relax!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 06:42 PM   #33
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

I'm glad that upgraded turbos will become the norm, because with the only offering being Pure, pricing and market availability were not in the customers favor....

I hope we could just drop the turbo in and do an Ecu Flash (mainly because my cats are on the slimmer, 200 cell side)

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 07:02 PM   #34
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:
Mountain View is a service center. Morgan Hill is headquarters.

Regardless, I know the car very well. He originally had issues when it was first installed due to a bad malfunctioning box if memory serves but that was resolved over a year ago at this point. He has since upgraded the vehicle to an S1 package and then some. He was one of our SEMA cars this year after all and has had his S1 package car on multiple video review channels, etc. I just talked to this individual in regards to possibly teaming up with us again for some events down south (like Bimmerfest) which he wants to do. He really wants to do more with Dinan in general as the car is "running like a beast". I inquired directly about your comment (good timing btw) and he said he hasn't had any issues since that original installation in early 2015.

I think you may simply have some out of date information you are going off of.
Hunter's car is awesome. I see it everywhere.

Performance Technic has been installing a good number of the units and everyone has been super happy. The S2 seems to be hitting the sweet spot for most people and 50 state legal and warranty preserving seals the deal.
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2016, 07:13 PM   #35
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
Hunter's car is awesome. I see it everywhere.

Performance Technic has been installing a good number of the units and everyone has been super happy. The S2 seems to be hitting the sweet spot for most people and 50 state legal and warranty preserving seals the deal.
Indeed, he gets that thing everywhere. Even more so since he's down in LA he says. I wish he kept the BBS's on there though. I liked those rims so much better, but alas. Different strokes for different folks and all that.
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2016, 07:51 PM   #36
Db750
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 991S & 2013 M3 CP

This looks really NICE! I have been considering trading my lease for something that comes faster stock, but after watching this video I will be watching this Dinan kit very closely and will consider this an option pending further owner reviews and pricing. If pricing is $5k, or even better a bit below, this will be a very good option over trading my lease and paying all associated costs and fees with picking up a new car.

My only issue is that I would still not have an LSD, and adding that in as well, especially on a lease vehicle, is definitely more than I would like to spend. Really wish I had gotten a car with a factory LSD and just had it added on the lease payment. I didn't think it would bother me this much when we got the car, but it is one of the main things I miss switching between my M3, and the only thing that I could have potentially had on the 2.

Looking forward to updates!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 08:10 PM   #37
dan99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 01' 330xi / 15' M235i

Heres an article by autoweek regarding an m235i dinan s3
http://www.autoweek.com/article/driv...e-dinan-bmw-s3
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 08:15 PM   #38
CPTM3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, M235i, M2, M4 comp

I just got the Dinan stage 2 (minus the Dinan exhaust because I already had the M performance exhaust) I can tell you, the difference is amazing! The feel, pull, it's just a different car! I may go for the "big" turbo in the future but for now, it hit the spot.
      01-15-2016, 08:34 PM   #39
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

Isn't the transmission rates for significantly less torque? What's been done in regards to that? I have not read every comment so my bad if it was addressed
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 09:37 PM   #40
Lt1camaro
Lieutenant
Iran
Rep
Drives: 2016 535i, 2015 435i, 2013 M3

What size tires are they running on this car?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 10:04 PM   #41
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
For clarification purposes since no official pricing has been released on the N55 big turbo as of yet we are aiming for a ~5k package that would be comprised of the larger turbo, stage 4 DINANTRONICS, and the dual core intercooler. Those would be the 3 main components to the big turbo stage. Of course adding the exhaust and intake would yield some further gains (the complete package with intake and exhaust yielding 445 HP / 455 TRQ) but those base 3 components would be the bulk of the gains.
price to value wise, why would i want this kit of yours rather than getting an M3/M4 instead?

With your kit, would that same car be able to get a bmw EVP or CPO warranty that covers the owner beyond the factory 4yr/50k? Does your dinan warranty extend past the factory 4yr/50k factory warranty?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 10:47 PM   #42
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath
I'm glad that upgraded turbos will become the norm, because with the only offering being Pure, pricing and market availability were not in the customers favor....

I hope we could just drop the turbo in and do an Ecu Flash (mainly because my cats are on the slimmer, 200 cell side)
Yes Enzo will take care of us. They're developing an ecu flash for a big turbo based off of Ronanz build.

I myself will be headed only for the stage 1. I'm already working on it for spring.

I just need 415rwhp and I'm set. I don't want to battle fuel issues etc with stage 2. Plus stage 1 is only $995 bucks so when the car gets sold/traded in it won't sting so bad.
      01-16-2016, 12:29 AM   #43
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by goj View Post
Isn't the transmission rates for significantly less torque? What's been done in regards to that? I have not read every comment so my bad if it was addressed
Transmissions nowadays are rated very conservatively. For instance most of the ZF transmissions on the BMW are rated at EXACTLY what they are running on the cars they are on. I doubt BMW or any car manufacturer would trust a transmission on a car that is rated at the cars max values. With production tolerances it would be a recipe for disaster. I can only assume they do the low rating for legal reasons but that is purely speculation on my part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt1camaro View Post
What size tires are they running on this car?
The Dinan car is running 235/35-19's in front and 265/30-19's in the rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
price to value wise, why would i want this kit of yours rather than getting an M3/M4 instead?
You prefer a smaller footprint/styling of the 2 series over the F8x chassis?
Want to save money? (Base M235i is 45k plus 5k for the base big turbo package vs. a base M3/M4 at 63k)

Those would be the 2 big ones off the top of my head. Lots of POTENTIAL reasons but every person has their own value system and puts differnt weights on different features. If you are looking for straight power then the M3/M4 is a no brainer as even stock its more powerful then our big turbo M235i unless you load it up with race gas.

Quote:
With your kit, would that same car be able to get a bmw EVP or CPO warranty that covers the owner beyond the factory 4yr/50k? Does your dinan warranty extend past the factory 4yr/50k factory warranty?
The Dinan warranty only extended through the new car warranty of 4yr/50k in terms of incidental coverage. If the car only has say a year left on the new car warranty then you will still have a second year of warranty on the Dinan part only but not on incidentals on that second year. Basically the Dinan part has a 2 year warranty on it regardless of where it is in the new car warranty.

Extended warranties are not covered. The vast majority of extended warranties specifically exclude ANY performance modifications.

CPO warranties are also not matched or covered. There a long story on that one but ultimately all you really need to know that tells the whole story is BMW doesn't offer a CPO warranty on its own brand of tuner cars (Alpina) and they wish to keep it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981 View Post
I just need 415rwhp and I'm set. I don't want to battle fuel issues etc with stage 2. Plus stage 1 is only $995 bucks so when the car gets sold/traded in it won't sting so bad.
Even with stage 1 on the M235i you will may have some fuel issues. The problem lies in the fuel tank design from BMW. The tank saddles over the driveshaft and the super small tank on the passenger side is where the system is taking the fuel up. From a dig gunning through the gears that smaller tank is exhausted (at about 140 MPH) before the larger tank has a chance to restock it. Given, its a very specific set of variables where this fueling issue happens BUT its super repeatable and predictable. The other N55 cars don't have this issue because the saddle tanks are a bit more evenly distributed. Our M235i has a fix it to correct for this but I am unsure if its going to be part of the kit for the M235i or if its just going to be an optional add-on given the issue is unique to the M235i and the labor involved to correct for it is not exactly quick and easy.
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2016, 08:16 AM   #44
jonsnowm3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Awesome gains and very affordable!
F30 328i M Sport 2012