THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Weird Auto Stop/Start Issue?

08-01-2014, 06:01 AM   #23
five3three
Major
Rep
Drives: m2c

You never turned the car off so it did what it was supposed to do which was kick back on when it needed more power.

I did the same thing once on the first day I had the car to find it running on the street and doubt I will ever do it again.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 09:45 AM   #24
bimmerbuff
Slightly Less Obsessed
United_States
Rep
Drives: Between BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximumG View Post
According to the 2-series manual:

Safety mode

After the engine switches off automatically, it will not start again automatically if any one of the following conditions are met.
▷ The driver's safety belt is unbuckled and the driver's door is open.
▷ The hood was unlocked.

Hopefully what you're describing wasn't on BMW's. According to the manual, it shouldn't happen. If it does happen, please let us and BMW NA know ASAP. Thanks.
Maybe OP released the seat belt before the engine auto-stopped?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 10:35 AM   #25
wazzza
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80x M3C

Garage List
Thanks for the responses guys, and sorry for the late reply -- I was on vacation.

- The car fan was definitely running at the lowest setting, and I am pretty sure the A/C was on, too.
- I parked the car (on reverse) and immediately pressed the "P" button. This is when the car auto shut-off. I cannot recall whether I unbuckled the seat belt before or after. I am usually pretty picky about how I park my car, so I may have parked it, unbuckled by seat belt, then realized that I needed to park it better, then adjusted the parking position, at which point, the car may have auto shut-off again, and I did not have the seat belt on. But like I said, I am only trying to rationalize here based on responses, I am not quite sure exactly what happened as I was on the phone and doing all the parking stuff instinctively without thinking much.
- I definitely forgot to fully turn off the car by pressing ignition button.
- I also definitely did NOT turn off the fan or A/C.
- I walked out, locked the car via the comfort ridge on the door handle.
- At this point, the car was definitely NOT running.
- Then after 5 hours, I was told that my car was on. When I got to the car, the car was locked, but running, and the A/C was running with the fan at the lowest setting.

I will try to recreate this by trying out a couple of permutations people have suggested here and report back. Thanks!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 08:58 PM   #26
five3three
Major
Rep
Drives: m2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximumG View Post
According to the 2-series manual:

Safety mode

After the engine switches off automatically, it will not start again automatically if any one of the following conditions are met.
▷ The driver's safety belt is unbuckled and the driver's door is open.
▷ The hood was unlocked.

Hopefully what you're describing wasn't on BMW's. According to the manual, it shouldn't happen. If it does happen, please let us and BMW NA know ASAP. Thanks.
This is how I understand this section:

If the engine switches off automatically, it won't start again as long one of these events is currently happening:

- The seatbelt unbuckled and door open (at the same time as this is one condition)
- The hood unlocked.

So, if the OP stepped out of the car, once he closed the door, that condition was no longer being met, therefore the car should start back up again when it needs more power as he never turned the car off to begin with.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 04:21 AM   #27
MaximumG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i EBII May '14 ED

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
There's understanding and then there's "understanding".

Go find out and report back to us. Thank you in advance!
Appreciate 0