THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Sport Mode Vs Sliding the Shifter to the Left (AUTO)

08-01-2014, 01:37 PM   #1
benes136
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i Estoril Blue

Sport Mode Vs Sliding the Shifter to the Left (AUTO)

Hey is there a difference between Sport Mode and shifting the gear selector to the left? Is it best to do both or is it all the same?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 02:19 PM   #2
darkerosxx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i

I don't know the numbers, but I believe moving the shifter to the left in auto mode changes the gear ratios no matter what mode you're in, so even in sport mode, shifting to the left will change the gear ratios even further.
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2014, 03:24 PM   #3
benes136
Private
Rep

Got it. So put it in sport+ and slide the lever to the left for the most aggressive performance. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 03:38 PM   #4
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Yea, have to hit 30 switches before we can have some spritied driving...smh
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 04:09 PM   #5
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkerosxx View Post
I don't know the numbers, but I believe moving the shifter to the left in auto mode changes the gear ratios no matter what mode you're in, so even in sport mode, shifting to the left will change the gear ratios even further.
Quote:
Originally Posted by benes136 View Post
Got it. So put it in sport+ and slide the lever to the left for the most aggressive performance. Thank you.
As a heads up, it's physically impossible for the transmission to change its gear ratios on the fly. The only differences that could occur would be the shift mapping and throttle response. The shift points and conditions for it to shift up and down might be slightly different - traditionally, more aggressive shift patterns equate to more eagerness to downshift and a hesitancy to upshift in order to keep RPMs high. In cars with torque curves like the 228i and 235i, that's not really necessary considering that they shine in the midrange of the RPM band.

Bottom line: you won't notice much of a difference if there even is one. Throttle response might be different between the two modes. If moving the shifter to the left only affects its shift behavior and not the throttle mapping, you might get a higher percentage of throttle with less pedal travel in "sport mode" by comparison. That doesn't necessarily mean it provides superior performance either.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 04:46 PM   #6
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Hey is there a difference between Sport Mode and shifting the gear selector to the left? Is it best to do both or is it all the same?
In moving the shifter to the left, the only change I'm aware of is that you can shift up or down by simply pushing the shift lever fore and aft. In other words, same function as the shift paddles.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 05:03 PM   #7
benes136
Private
Rep

I was thinking that was a possibility. Shifting it to the left might just activate "tiptronic" so you can shift but I believe an S Auto pops up on the screen or something. Need to break this thing in already so I can lay into it and investigate all these settings myself.

I am thinking Sport or Sport plus is enough. You can always pull the left paddle if you want some manual play..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 05:27 PM   #8
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

It's probably the same thing as "DS" in the older 6-speed autos, which makes the shift patterns more aggressive. Upshifts are held off and it's more eager to downshift to keep revs high.

Sport mode does that but changes other parameters too.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 06:28 PM   #9
darkerosxx
First Lieutenant
Rep

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=11

Quote:
I actually talked to my ca about this on delivery, in Germany. He told me that the ds mode on the gear selector just puts the transmission into sport mode, higher shifting rpms etc. Putting the drive experience button puts the whole car into sports mode, tightens suspension, steering, makes pedals more responsive, and puts the transmission into sport mode. So no benefit to putting car into sports mode and ds mode. He said the ds mode was mostly there in case you needed a little extra engine power for passing or going up a hill. Full sport mode when you wanted to driver more aggressively overall, like curvy mountain roads. My driving experiences have confirmed his statements, I can't tell any difference in transmission function between sport and sport plus ds.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 07:39 PM   #10
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Mineral White/Terra

The only thing moving the shifter to the left does is enable you to manually shift the gears yourself, so the shift pattern does change...to whatever the hell you want it to be.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 07:54 PM   #11
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarrx3
The only thing moving the shifter to the left does is enable you to manually shift the gears yourself, so the shift pattern does change...to whatever the hell you want it to be.
If that's the case why doesn't it just go to M? My S4 had a tiptronic in it and if you slid it over you had to shift yourself. Well it would up shift if you didn't so as not to blow the engine, but within reason you had to do it yourself. With this if you just slide into S it seems to just operate as usual until you actually make a shift manually.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 09:02 PM   #12
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Mineral White/Terra

Well in the short 628 miles I got to drive my 228i before it was rear ended, on at least two occasions I forgot that I had moved the shifter over to the left and took off from stops in first gear and the engine rev went way up and would not shift. I thought my car was messing up before I realised I had moved it over and needed to upshift it manually. Of course coming to a stop it puts itself back in 1st gear, but take off again you have to upshift manually.

Last edited by sstarrx3; 08-01-2014 at 09:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 10:00 PM   #13
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
No.... Sport+ also changes the throttle mapping....

Putting the lever to the left in Sport+ or in Sport(configured with either drivetrain or drivetrain & chassis) does nothing.... only thing that it does is to downshift one gear as soon as it goes in to DS mode then after a few seconds it will upshift again
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 10:01 PM   #14
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarrx3 View Post
Well in the short 628 miles I got to drive my 228i before it was rear ended, on at least two occasions I forgot that I had moved the shifter over to the left and took off from stops in first gear and the engine rev went way up and would not shift. I thought my car was messing up before I realised I had moved it over and needed to upshift it manually. Of course coming to a stop it puts itself back in 1st gear, but take off again you have to upshift manually.
if you put the lever to the left you go to DS mode and the car will upshift automatically... if you hit a paddle then it goes into M mode and you need to upshift....
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 10:17 PM   #15
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Well... it depends...

Sport can be configured to:

Drivetrain only ( shifts at higher rpm & more responsive throttle mapping)
Chassis only (Stiffer suspension)
Both ( both of the above combined)

Lever to the left just does (shifts at higher rpm) DS if you hit the paddle then goes to M where you have to shift yourself

So if you are in Sport and hit the lever to the left i will have no effect but to initially downshift 1 gear

Sport+ = Sport & DTC off
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 11:18 PM   #16
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
Well... it depends...

Sport can be configured to:

Drivetrain only ( shifts at higher rpm & more responsive throttle mapping)
Chassis only (Stiffer suspension)
Both ( both of the above combined)

Lever to the left just does (shifts at higher rpm) DS if you hit the paddle then goes to M where you have to shift yourself

So if you are in Sport and hit the lever to the left i will have no effect but to initially downshift 1 gear

Sport+ = Sport & DTC off
This is all true, and that's how it works in my 335i Msport with the adaptive dampers and variable ratio steering.
Drive train only puts the AT in a sport mode even if left in it's standard position, and it increases/faster throttle response.
Chassis only puts the suspension in sport mode, and firmer steering effort.
Both is all of the above in my 335i.

I believe the M235i also has variable ratio steering.
Does sport mode increase steering effort in the 2? It should.

If you have "sport" configured to "both", then the trans will be in sport mode even if the lever is not moved to the left.
If you then move the lever to the left it will activate DS mode, which is pretty much the same shift program, it holds gear for higher rpm, and won't engage 7th gear until around 60-70mph. 8th gear doesn't even get selected, it's locked out.

If you have "sport" configured for chassis only, then the trans will operate in normal shift mode. If you want a more aggressive shift program while in chassis only, then move the lever to the left and you'll get it.

With all these damp button pushes and "programs" it makes things too overly done.
My biggest complaint about BMW's system is that we can't individually select these items and then store them as "preferred" setting and have it be the default every time we start our cars.
That's a HUGE oversight on BMW's part.
I chose an Msport, which means I want the sportiest version and I want it in the sportiest settings. If I want some darn "comfort" mode, then I can select that, instead it's the other way around.

I think the reason for why BMW did it this way is because of EPA mileage testing. If the sportiest settings were default, then the cars won't get the MPG ratings they do, because shifts points would be at higher rpm, 7th-1st overdrive won't engage until around 60mph, and 8th-2nd overdrive won't engage at all, and will lower MPG.
Then BMW would have to list separate MPG ratings for different default settings.

And now almost every manufacturer is doing some form of
"driver selectable drive modes". It's a freakin gimmick.
You want better MPG, learn to use the throttle pedal more effectively.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 12:40 AM   #17
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Yes you are right.. i missed that... if sport mode include chassis, the steering also gets heavier.... and sport+ = chasis & drivetrain & DTC off so it's heavier there too.... there is some questioning though whether heaviness in sport = heaviness in sport+ ... I personally that it's the same and doubt bmw would have 2 different settings for sport and sport+ but can't really prove it
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 01:19 AM   #18
darkerosxx
First Lieutenant
Rep

Guys please read my quote
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 07:29 AM   #19
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

IMO....
The M235 should have come full performance map/stiff/etc out of the box and at each key insertion and the button pushing should be used to tune down what is needed by the operator. We should not have to sport up for every day driving but sport down for trips and grandma days....

Opinions?

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 07:44 AM   #20
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
I agree, default setting should be Sports or Sports + and switch down to pussy mode if needed...not the other way around

After all is a "M"235i
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 10:07 AM   #21
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska///235i View Post
I agree, default setting should be Sports or Sports + and switch down to pussy mode if needed...not the other way around

After all is a "M"235i
That's funny!

But for me, I don't mind that the car starts up in the default Comfort mode. Why? Because I prefer to let the engine warm up a bit before selecting the Sport mode.

This not to suggest that I romp on it in the Comfort mode when the engine is cold. I don't. I just think the lower, more sedate RPM's might be a little better during the warm up cycle.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 07:58 PM   #22
franzrya
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i Min. Gray

When you put the shifter in sport automatic, the gears change much faster i noticed.
Appreciate 0