THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Broken bolt near my car. Help!

06-08-2020, 05:39 PM   #23
Uridian
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, 228i M Sport

I won't be settling, no. I've already been in contact with the NHTSA regarding this and will be forwarding all this new paperwork to them to support my case.
Appreciate 2
      06-08-2020, 05:40 PM   #24
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240xi 'Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uridian View Post
Hello from the future!

I never took any action with this until I went to go to the store a month or so ago and the most horrible noise came from my steering rack. Got out, checked and at least one more bolt had broken off. No more power steering.

I called BMW NA again the check and my VIN had still not been added.

I brought my car to the dealership to be "diagnosed" and repaired. Low and behold it is exactly the type of failure described in the TSB. Both my SA and the Service Manager agreed that it's exactly the problem in the TSB so they called BMW NA to find out if they'll cover it. In the meantime, if they wouldn't, then the damage would be $4039.65.

The resolution so far is that BMW will split it with me, and since they're splitting it with me, the cost of the part also goes down. I guess that means out of pocket parts are more expensive than warranty parts as well. Shady.

So, final cost to me is just over $1500.
Hey Uridian, this is really sad. I remember your thread and was hoping you'd get reimbursed 100%.

I would still get the BMW NA CEO involved. You have nothing to lose but to recoup your $1500 back.

Anyway, what year is your car?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 07:55 AM   #25
Shovelman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i

So if that unit can be removed and taken to a machinist a repair may be possible
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 09:20 AM   #26
chattanooga240
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i

Quote:
I won't be settling, no. I've already been in contact with the NHTSA regarding this and will be forwarding all this new paperwork to them to support my case.
Good, nice to see they cannot discourage everyone that has a legitimate case.

Best of luck to you, I'd be willing to bet this is remedied with no money out of your pocket.
Appreciate 1
BimBimM21486.00
      11-14-2023, 05:38 PM   #27
Crazy4yhwh
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 430i

Outcome

Quote:
Hello from the future!

I never took any action with this until I went to go to the store a month or so ago and the most horrible noise came from my steering rack. Got out, checked and at least one more bolt had broken off. No more power steering.

I called BMW NA again the check and my VIN had still not been added.

I brought my car to the dealership to be "diagnosed" and repaired. Low and behold it is exactly the type of failure described in the TSB. Both my SA and the Service Manager agreed that it's exactly the problem in the TSB so they called BMW NA to find out if they'll cover it. In the meantime, if they wouldn't, then the damage would be $4039.65.

The resolution so far is that BMW will split it with me, and since they're splitting it with me, the cost of the part also goes down. I guess that means out of pocket parts are more expensive than warranty parts as well. Shady.

So, final cost to me is just over $1500.

Hi , im wondering what your out come ended up being with paying or not paying for the part ?
Im in the same boat
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 10:33 PM   #28
Resoelg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 ZV-Blue

Garage List
24 G87  [10.00]
Really old post
Appreciate 0