THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum F80 M3 to F22 M240i?

06-20-2018, 10:11 AM   #23
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_and View Post
If you only plan on driving it on the streets, you really don't need to do anything with it. However, my mentality is a little different than most folks

I'm sure that was much more response that you were looking for so to summarize: The m240i simply fits my objectives better than the 911 does. If I could only have one of them in stock form and never went to the track, I would take the 911 without a doubt. But for what I want to do with the car, I would take the m240i, not an M2/M3/M4/911/Cayman/Ferrari/etc.
your fulsome explanation makes sense

m240i > 911gts just didnt make sense without the context
Appreciate 3
      06-20-2018, 12:41 PM   #24
dbperformance
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: None

I love the reason you have chosen the M240i. And i watched your project, really nice and lovely job you have done over there! Well done!

Do you think? I had the M2 before and it really give me a confident feeling when attacking the corners. I dind't had that feeling with the m135i lci before.

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_and View Post
If you only plan on driving it on the streets, you really don't need to do anything with it. However, my mentality is a little different than most folks. If you install an LSD, you'll never feel it on the streets. If you mod the suspension, you'll never use it on the streets. It's a matter of how your $$$ will be used and in the case of street driving, I don't see how mods will improve the drivability.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 04:34 PM   #25
capt_and
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyvdberg View Post
I love the reason you have chosen the M240i. And i watched your project, really nice and lovely job you have done over there! Well done!

Do you think? I had the M2 before and it really give me a confident feeling when attacking the corners. I dind't had that feeling with the m135i lci before.

Thank you!
Just you wait, the project just expanded in a big way! I would venture a guess and say that there aren't going to be anything else like it.

Each car has its own driving dynamics. The shorter wheel base, softer suspension, and smaller dimensions might have something to do with why the 135i didn't feel as great to you. However, I am in the mindset that if you are "attacking" corners on the street, you should probably just slow down. However, if you enjoy doing things like that, I would think that the 135i would have been more fun. A car with stiff suspension, little body roll, lot's of camber, or anything else that would make it a fast car around the track will inevitably make it boring everywhere else.

It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow - that saying is totally true. When I am driving my m240i around the track, I am going at anywhere from 7/10ths to 9/10ths of the car's abilities (depending on the corner). What that means is that the car is rotating, sliding, and twitching all over - the excitement is being able to manage the weight balance and tame the car or otherwise wind up spinning out or driving off track. If I drive at 6/10ths all over the track, it would be very boring. If I were driving a miata, in stock form, at 9/10s of that car's ability, that might only be 6/10ths of what the m240i could do but I would still have the same fun. I'm not sure if that was easy to follow but the point is, driving a slow car at its limits is more fun than driving a fast car and never getting close to its potential. Unless you are on the track, you won't come close to touching the potential of any of the cars we have discussed here.

However, if you love the F80, then your criteria might be different. You probably enjoy to fine touches of luxury that it provides, the straight line power, and perhaps the cache. If any of that is true, you won't like the m240i. In my opinion, the m240i isn't super luxurious, it's not a drag racer, and it won't impress anybody. If I were you, I would keep the F80. It's in an individual color and you know you love it. The m240i you are considering is bloated with m performance options that don't do anything for performance or luxury - two key aspects that you like about the F80. If the car makes you happy and you can afford it, no reason to get a car that is less appealing to you to save a little money every month.

Instagram: @Capt_and
Appreciate 1
      06-20-2018, 04:43 PM   #26
dbperformance
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

I can afford it, but somehow I come to a point that other things in life interest me. Like moving to a bigger house, vacations and other stuff. And this or next year I would like to start working for myself.

Besides that, off course I enjoy every time I drive the M3. But that's just one or two days in the week. The other days I'm only thinking about that stupid payment each month. Currently I'm just 25 years old, and I overrated myself with a emotional buy off the M3. It's a huge step back, but I will save a lot of money in three years, buy off the stupid lease and next time pay the car with cash instead of a new lease..

I know it sounds like I'm trying to justify my choice..
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      06-20-2018, 05:09 PM   #27
BallHog5873
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Manual, 2016 328D Wagon

I cam from a 500hp power car and appreciate the lightness and quickness of the m240i. Im 3 months in and loving ownership.
Appreciate 1
      06-20-2018, 05:10 PM   #28
capt_and
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyvdberg View Post
I can afford it, but somehow I come to a point that other things in life interest me. Like moving to a bigger house, vacations and other stuff. And this or next year I would like to start working for myself.

Besides that, off course I enjoy every time I drive the M3. But that's just one or two days in the week. The other days I'm only thinking about that stupid payment each month. Currently I'm just 25 years old, and I overrated myself with a emotional buy off the M3. It's a huge step back, but I will save a lot of money in three years, buy off the stupid lease and next time pay the car with cash instead of a new lease..

I know it sounds like I'm trying to justify my choice..
Sounds like you should drive it more often, then you can love driving it 7 days a week instead of 1-2 days. If you only drive once or twice a week, get a VW GTI. The fit and finish of the GTI is every bit as good as the m240i and it's a very fun car. Plus, it's almost half the cost of the m240i. $15k over two years isn't going to buy you a house or allow you to work independently. If you must get an m240i, get a different one. That one is a huge waste of money due to the m performance parts that are grossly over priced. Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to convince you to keep the F80... Ihate the size, engine, and price of the F80 - as a matter of fact, I liked my GTI better. If you are interested in other things than you are in cars, no need to spend money on an entry level luxury car. Test drive a GTI, you'll love it and save even more!

Instagram: @Capt_and
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 05:26 PM   #29
dbperformance
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Not in the first place, but it’s a start. When I will keep the m3, then over three years I still didn’t saved and money.. The parts come with the price. It’s a car on stock, so they did give me a huge discounts on everything..

I’m not a huge VAG fan, but I do like the gti and r. But I enjoyed the both m135i I had before, and i’m sure I will enjoy the m240i..

Anyway, I appreciate your honest comment. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 06:31 PM   #30
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

I think that if you're willing to do a few minor mods like suspension (lowering springs) and maybe a tune down the road, the M240i will suit your requirement based on what I gather from your wants/needs. You don't need to be at the limits to know the F80 chassis is a step above the F22, but there is something special about the F22, it's far less common, and very much an underdog car. It's also a bit more forgiving on the streets than an F8x chassis will be, with the softer suspension, etc. The chassis on the F22 is actually quite stiff, it's the soft adopted 3 series bushings among the entire chassis that make it feel this way.. Something that can also be changed later, if wanted.