THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum BMW Performance Center Pickup - Vehicle Delay

05-29-2018, 03:41 PM   #1
DriftlessBimmer
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2C

BMW Performance Center Pickup - Vehicle Delay

Greetings all from a new poster, long time lurker. Experiencing some challenges in my buying process and wanted to see if anyone had similar experiences and/or could recommend some steps to rectify?

I ordered my M240i in early March and received an allocation that day and expressed my desire to do the Performance Center Delivery. My car was a Week 17 production date car, and in early May we set up a PC experience near the end of June. I have been calling once a week to get updates from the BMW Genius line and the car just was placed on a boat yesterday.

Today I received an email from my dealer passing on the information from the rep at the PC stating due to a delay they do not believe my car will be available for pickup on the date scheduled in early May. The options provided were:
-Follow through with the experience on the reserved date but pick up my car at my dealer when it arrives.
-Reschedule, but very few available days due to X4 release, likely later in July if any.
-Take delivery of the car at the dealer, and get a free BMW 101 experience prior to October 31st, 2018.

None of these options are great as my wife and I were going to book one-way tickets and spend 6 days driving around Asheville and back through the Smokies to where we reside in Wisconsin. My dealer apologized, but we already filled up July with plans, concert tickets, stays, etc. that we would take a bath on to move.

I frankly feel like they should be doing more than just apologizing, but not sure really what recourse I have...

Any suggestions or just live with it?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 04:26 PM   #2
mattc1176
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 m240i

Man, that sucks. Odd that I was a week 17 production as well and my car landed in NJ on Saturday. I guess you just missed my boat. I'm sure you can bitch a little more and maybe get some free accessories or something out of it, but nothing is going to get you a new car to drive the tail of the dragon.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 07:11 PM   #3
fg9ze
Private
Rep
Drives: 6MT M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftlessBimmer View Post
Greetings all from a new poster, long time lurker. Experiencing some challenges in my buying process and wanted to see if anyone had similar experiences and/or could recommend some steps to rectify?

I ordered my M240i in early March and received an allocation that day and expressed my desire to do the Performance Center Delivery. My car was a Week 17 production date car, and in early May we set up a PC experience near the end of June. I have been calling once a week to get updates from the BMW Genius line and the car just was placed on a boat yesterday.

Today I received an email from my dealer passing on the information from the rep at the PC stating due to a delay they do not believe my car will be available for pickup on the date scheduled in early May. The options provided were:
-Follow through with the experience on the reserved date but pick up my car at my dealer when it arrives.
-Reschedule, but very few available days due to X4 release, likely later in July if any.
-Take delivery of the car at the dealer, and get a free BMW 101 experience prior to October 31st, 2018.

None of these options are great as my wife and I were going to book one-way tickets and spend 6 days driving around Asheville and back through the Smokies to where we reside in Wisconsin. My dealer apologized, but we already filled up July with plans, concert tickets, stays, etc. that we would take a bath on to move.

I frankly feel like they should be doing more than just apologizing, but not sure really what recourse I have...

Sorry to hear, that is really unfortunate. My M240 was also built in week 17, but was placed on a boat last week. My PCD is scheduled for 6/20 and I haven't heard of any changes, so it may be that your car barely missed the right boat. Given your experience though, I'll call my dealer tomorrow to confirm.

Maybe try asking if your PCD can be rescheduled for August? I'm not sure if it's possible, but it may be worth the try. Of course that will mean that you have to spend 2 more months without your car, but then you will still get to enjoy the roads around Asheville (which I also plan on trying out on my way back to VA).
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 12:05 PM   #4
fg9ze
Private
Rep

I spoke too fast. I got the same email today. I'm not sure which option I'm going for yet, but leaning towards rescheduling.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 06:28 PM   #5
caign
Registered
Rep
Drives: M240i

Sorry to hear about your delay. My M240i was built in week 10 and the boat has not arrived yet. Then a wait for 2 more weeks to "clear bond".

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 02:13 PM   #6
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftlessBimmer View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by fg9ze View Post
I spoke too fast. I got the same email today. I'm not sure which option I'm going for yet, but leaning towards rescheduling.
I found this thread by googling...

I ordered an M4 that is scheduled for PCD delivery at the end of June and received a similar email forwarded by the dealer last week. It indicated delivery "may" be delayed (not definitive). In my case, the dealer is located across the country so my only real option is to reschedule. Ironically, we are also planning on spending a few days in Asheville (where we often vacation) after picking up the car so uncertainty isn't helpful, and I have a very busy July for work.

Well before receiving the email, the BMW Genius told me the ship (SIRIUS Highway) was scheduled to reach the port in Charleston on June 8 and I checked the ship line which confirmed it is still scheduled to do so. Therefore, I am unsure why there is all of a sudden a potential delay. I know there are limited delivery slots open in June because they are launching the new X4, but shame on them if they overbooked.

DriftlessBimmer and fg9ze, did you hear anything else yet? Seeing that all three of us received notice I am wondering if this is just a CYA thing they are doing, leaving us in limbo in the meantime, or if there is actually going to be a delay. I haven't been told of any alternative dates.
      06-03-2018, 05:13 PM   #7
fg9ze
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
I found this thread by googling...

I ordered an M4 that is scheduled for PCD delivery at the end of June and received a similar email forwarded by the dealer last week. It indicated delivery "may" be delayed (not definitive). In my case, the dealer is located across the country so my only real option is to reschedule. Ironically, we are also planning on spending a few days in Asheville (where we often vacation) after picking up the car so uncertainty isn't helpful, and I have a very busy July for work.

Well before receiving the email, the BMW Genius told me the ship (SIRIUS Highway) was scheduled to reach the port in Charleston on June 8 and I checked the ship line which confirmed it is still scheduled to do so. Therefore, I am unsure why there is all of a sudden a potential delay. I know there are limited delivery slots open in June because they are launching the new X4, but shame on them if they overbooked.

DriftlessBimmer and fg9ze, did you hear anything else yet? Seeing that all three of us received notice I am wondering if this is just a CYA thing they are doing, leaving us in limbo in the meantime, or if there is actually going to be a delay. I haven't been told of any alternative dates.
I have not heard anything else. The email stated that they will reschedule once the car arrives at a U.S Port, so I'm hoping to hear back soon. I called the BMW Genius hotline last week and they said that my car was scheduled to arrive by June 9th (well before my 6/20 delivery date) so I'm also not sure why they delayed my delivery . I forgot to ask for the vessel's name, but I believe our cars may be on the same boat since we have similar arrival dates.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 05:25 PM   #8
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have not heard anything else. The email stated that they will reschedule once the car arrives at a U.S Port, so I'm hoping to hear back soon. I called the BMW Genius hotline last week and they said that my car was scheduled to arrive by June 9th (well before my 6/20 delivery date) so I'm also not sure why they delayed my delivery . I forgot to ask for the vessel's name, but I believe our cars may be on the same boat since we have similar arrival dates.
Yeah the email I received also said they would be able to reschedule to a later date once the car arrives to the port, but it also says further down that it may not arrive in time for the scheduled delivery. So I read that as it also may still happen as scheduled. In my case that is June 27.

I know they need to take it to the vehicle processing center, prep it, get it to the Performance Center, more prep there, etc. But if the car hits the port on June 8 (or even June 9) as it was originally scheduled, not sure why there is now a delay. If it gets there a week later, I would understand better. Hopefully we will know more later this week / early next week so let’s keep each other posted on any developments.
      06-04-2018, 12:16 PM   #9
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Have you asked them to give you a loaner car so you can do the visit on the scheduled date and maintain your plans to drive about afterwards, but then take delivery back home? They must have some CPO's available (I know, not the same, but better than a total wash out) - might also incentivize them to get a move on and just get your car ready, if that is just a matter of effort. Could be that there is some last minute fix or update that needs to be done first, though, not just awaiting normal prep, so delivery delay may be unavoidable.
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410971.00
      06-04-2018, 12:34 PM   #10
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Have you asked them to give you a loaner car so you can do the visit on the scheduled date and maintain your plans to drive about afterwards, but then take delivery back home? They must have some CPO's available (I know, not the same, but better than a total wash out) - might also incentivize them to get a move on and just get your car ready, if that is just a matter of effort. Could be that there is some last minute fix or update that needs to be done first, though, not just awaiting normal prep, so delivery delay may be unavoidable.
In my case, the trip to Asheville was predicated on picking up the new car and driving it around with the top down, so we would just wait until the car is ready and work permits a trip (likely August if not ready on time). But your suggestion may be a good option OP can consider, so long as the car is ready by the time his trip through Asheville ends.
      06-04-2018, 06:56 PM   #11
fg9ze
Private
Rep

Update: I got an email today from the Performance Center reminding me to submit the travel info form for my delivery on 6/20. I have not yet submitted the form because I haven't received an updated delivery date yet. I asked for clarification and will update once I hear back. Anyone else get this email? I hope this means that my delivery is no longer delayed.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 07:06 PM   #12
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Update: I got an email today from the Performance Center reminding me to submit the travel info form for my delivery on 6/20. I have not yet submitted the form because I haven't received an updated delivery date yet. I asked for clarification and will update once I hear back. Anyone else get this email? I hope this means that my delivery is no longer delayed.
No I haven't received that email, at least not yet, but my delivery isn't scheduled until 6/27. I originally planned to book a flight and return the form this week, but am holding off until I hear back something more definitive on whether the delivery needs to be delayed or not.
      06-08-2018, 05:35 PM   #13
fg9ze
Private
Rep

The email was sent in error . Still waiting for an updated date.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 06:04 PM   #14
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The email was sent in error . Still waiting for an updated date.
That sucks. Did they confirm they definitely need to change the date or still in limbo?

I sent my forms back this week in an attempt to get some clarity but it didn’t work. I got this email back - still holding out hope they can keep the date as 6/27 but don’t expect to know until next week. The ship arrived in Charleston early this morning and already left so the car should be in the U.S. but needs to clear customs, get to the SC VPC and then to the Performance Center:

We are sorry for any inconvenience this delay may cause and that we are working closely with our colleagues at the SC Port and the SC Vehicle Processing Center (SC VPC) to help expedite the shipment of his vehicle. As you are aware the vessel your vehicle is on is delayed and we are waiting for that vessel to arrive so we can determine how soon your vehicle will arrive to us and be ready for delivery.

Unfortunately we cannot confirm a delivery date just yet as we must wait for the vehicle to arrive at the U.S. port and be offloaded from the vessel before we can determine whether or not the vehicle will arrive to us in time for delivery on 06/27/2018. There are several processes that a vehicle must go through before it can be delivered to a customer. Once the vehicle arrives at the U.S. port it must be offload, inspected and released for shipment to the SC Vehicle Processing Center (SC VPC). We have seen this process take as little as a couple of days and up to a week. Shipment from the U.S. port to the SC VPC can take another 3-5 days. Once the vehicle arrives at the SC VPC it will have to be processed by the VPC before it can be released to trucking and this process can take 3-5 business days to complete. Then trucking has an additional 2-3 days before the vehicle is delivered to us. Our process, once the vehicle arrives at the Performance Center, normally takes another 3-5 days to complete.

Again we are sorry for any issues this delay may have caused. We will continue to monitor this vehicle and hope to be able to let you and your Client Advisor know by 06/13/2018, whether or not this vehicle will arrive to us in time for delivery on 06/27/2018.
fg9ze21.00
      06-08-2018, 06:22 PM   #15
fg9ze
Private
Rep

Quote:
That sucks. Did they confirm they definitely need to change the date or still in limbo?

I sent my forms back this week in an attempt to get some clarity but it didn’t work. I got this email back - still holding out hope they can keep the date as 6/27 but don’t expect to know until next week. The ship arrived in Charleston early this morning and already left so the car should be in the U.S. but needs to clear customs, get to the SC VPC and then to the Performance Center:

We are sorry for any inconvenience this delay may cause and that we are working closely with our colleagues at the SC Port and the SC Vehicle Processing Center (SC VPC) to help expedite the shipment of his vehicle. As you are aware the vessel your vehicle is on is delayed and we are waiting for that vessel to arrive so we can determine how soon your vehicle will arrive to us and be ready for delivery.

Unfortunately we cannot confirm a delivery date just yet as we must wait for the vehicle to arrive at the U.S. port and be offloaded from the vessel before we can determine whether or not the vehicle will arrive to us in time for delivery on 06/27/2018. There are several processes that a vehicle must go through before it can be delivered to a customer. Once the vehicle arrives at the U.S. port it must be offload, inspected and released for shipment to the SC Vehicle Processing Center (SC VPC). We have seen this process take as little as a couple of days and up to a week. Shipment from the U.S. port to the SC VPC can take another 3-5 days. Once the vehicle arrives at the SC VPC it will have to be processed by the VPC before it can be released to trucking and this process can take 3-5 business days to complete. Then trucking has an additional 2-3 days before the vehicle is delivered to us. Our process, once the vehicle arrives at the Performance Center, normally takes another 3-5 days to complete.

Again we are sorry for any issues this delay may have caused. We will continue to monitor this vehicle and hope to be able to let you and your Client Advisor know by 06/13/2018, whether or not this vehicle will arrive to us in time for delivery on 06/27/2018.
Thanks for sharing that, it definitely helps! The email I received was more definitive. I was told that they will set up a new delivery date once the car arrives in the U.S.

The info in your email seems to confirm this as well. It looks like it will take at least 13 days for the car to be ready for customer pickup, so 6/20 is definitely not happening. Hoping to hear something by the end of next week.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2018, 03:00 PM   #16
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for sharing that, it definitely helps! The email I received was more definitive. I was told that they will set up a new delivery date once the car arrives in the U.S.

The info in your email seems to confirm this as well. It looks like it will take at least 13 days for the car to be ready for customer pickup, so 6/20 is definitely not happening. Hoping to hear something by the end of next week.
FWIW, I called the BMW Genius line today and was told my car was scheduled to arrive at the VPC today. So maybe / hopefully some of those timelines in the email were exaggerated.
      06-10-2018, 10:59 PM   #17
DriftlessBimmer
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2C

Gents, sorry for the delayed response. I ended up bitching at the dealer for a bit and then requesting they provide me an extension on the BMW 101 experience through June of next year and just picking up the car at my Dealer.
Means the wife and I are likely heading down late spring to run the Smokies, hang out in Asheville, and Charleston. We were originally planning up state NY and New England but at least I can do the Tail of the Dragon and Cherohala Skyway after the break in period.

Hoping for the car to arrive by the 28th so we can take a long weekend and run the through the Driftless area of Wisconsin and the Mississippi river roads.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 10:34 AM   #18
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I received confirmation today that my car will arrive at the Performance Center later today and I can take delivery as originally scheduled on 6/27.
      06-15-2018, 11:42 AM   #19
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
I received confirmation today that my car will arrive at the Performance Center later today and I can take delivery as originally scheduled on 6/27.
Nice congrats!
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410971.00
      06-15-2018, 12:04 PM   #20
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Make sure you get as much swag as you can at the gift shop. There's some stuff you can only get there.
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410971.00
      06-15-2018, 01:42 PM   #21
fg9ze
Private
Rep

Quote:
Got the same notice as well. Unfortunately, I made other plans when they told me about the delay, so I won't be able to pick it up on Wednesday . Still waiting on an updated date.
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410971.00
      06-15-2018, 01:49 PM   #22
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Make sure you get as much swag as you can at the gift shop. There's some stuff you can only get there.
Good call. Any suggestions?

Quote:
Got the same notice as well. Unfortunately, I made other plans when they told me about the delay, so I won't be able to pick it up on Wednesday . Still waiting on an updated date.
Sorry to hear. At least you know the car will be ready when it is re-scheduled.
fg9ze21.00