THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Am I going to regret the automatic?

04-04-2015, 06:40 AM   #67
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ChrisRuck View Post
I understand that some may find it difficult to understand why we chose the automatic.
Yes, I believe you are right. I also find it difficult to understand why some find it difficult to understand that other people can have different but equally valid preferences!
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 09:35 AM   #68
Supernaut
Little Deuce Coupe
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

Garage List
IMO anyone on the fence should go with the automatic. The only performance inferiority is in the 30-40 pounds of extra weight you carry. You get the manual modes which let you pretend you have a DCT or sequential gearbox depending on where you shift from. Since it isn't one of those fancy gearboxes, repair costs should be just BMW astronomical, not BMW exotic astronomical. Unless, like me, you're emotionally wedded to manual shifting, you should go for the auto in this car.
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2015, 10:21 AM   #69
akuan99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M-Sport Track 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tccox View Post
.1 of a second , 1 mpg is hardly a significant difference. But omg the difference in fun factor is amazing
The manual is actually rated .1 sec to 60 faster on 328i by BMW NA.
My original point was that I see much more justification comments from those switching from MT to AT with the performance justification point brought up ad nauseam ("everyone knows that Parker!").
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 12:16 PM   #70
chaswyck1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i Valencia Orange

No, you will not regret this automatic. It is an awesome piece of automotive engineering.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 12:58 PM   #71
silverado
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

I took delivery of my new m235i yesterday. I came from a ZSP 06 E90 6MT which I drove for 9+ years, but I choose the 8AT on the 235 because I really enjoyed it during the test drive and I wanted the car to be accessible to my wife. I agonized over the decision, but I was convinced I'm going to love the 8AT based on the test drive and the high tech nature of it.

I have put 90 miles on the car since yesterday and I must say I am really missing the manual. I am HOPING that this is only because I have not yet driven this car hard like I did during the test drive because I'm breaking it in (not going over 4500 rpm and generally being gentle with it). At this point I am wishing I ordered the manual, but this is not my final verdict. I will give myself time until after the break-in period to give my final verdict.
      04-07-2015, 07:21 AM   #72
2yo
Private
Rep
Drives: '15 228i xDrive

Also keep in mind that threads like these are usually full of enthusiasts. A lot of enthusiasts prefer the most direct connection between the car and their hands. I understand their opinion and I also enjoy driving a manual. FOR ME, I wanted an automatic for my daily driver. My 2 is my daily driver and is therefore an automatic. I do not begrudge others for picking the manual and using it for their daily driver, they have different opinions and that is fine. I want to save my manuals for the weekends and long spirited trips when I am able to buy a second car (I'm only 24), not for traffic to and from work. The auto is a wonderful transmission and I do not regret not getting the manual. The opinion that it is not as fun as the manual is also lost on me, as moving my right arm and left leg while driving does not make it any more interesting on a day to day basis TO ME than flicking some paddles and being in the gear that I want to be in. That is just my opinion.

If the OP is a diehard save the manuals man, then he may regret it. In my opinion, the auto is too good to regret. To each their own. Take your time, think it through, and make the decision that you are most comfortable with. The manual is fun, the automatic is fun, the car is fun, bimmers are fun , and life is sometimes fun. Enjoy it whatever decisions are made.
Appreciate 2
      04-07-2015, 10:03 AM   #73
akuan99
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant601 View Post
The opinion that it is not as fun as the manual is also lost on me, as moving my right arm and left leg while driving does not make it any more interesting on a day to day basis TO ME than flicking some paddles and being in the gear that I want to be in. That is just my opinion.
What's the point of comparing two different opinions?
After all they are just opinions.
We know that everyone value their own opinions more than others'.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 10:34 AM   #74
abirmaher
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 & 2024 BMW X1 M35i

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermike
I've found the better solution was to teach the wife how to drive manual.
Exactly!
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2015, 10:47 AM   #75
Xiaoxi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a Miata

I came from the 8ZF in an F30 and am now a first time manual driver. I'm very happy with the manual. It makes the car much more engaging and rewarding to drive. The 8ZF is good but "point and shoot" driving makes me fall asleep.

This is my daily driver and I do run into traffic occasionally. Still would rather have this.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 11:11 AM   #76
atxlos
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 EB M235i 6MT

I think it really is a personal question in the end. I'm coming from Daily Driving a 6MT Honda S2000 for over 6 years, in (Horrible) Austin, TX traffic. Many people I know think it's absurd to drive Manual in that kind of traffic, but I love it. I feel the manual in the m235i won't bother me at all, even in traffic I'm in 'auto-pilot' mode, I don't even think about shifting.

The 2 automatic is great indeed, but it comes down to each person.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 11:38 AM   #77
gaijin
Mess Deck Commando
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

m0viestar: if you are an avid three-pedal driver, then you will miss and maybe even regret giving up on a manual tranni. I am. Hence, the majority of cars and even trucks we've owned are/were manual transmission optioned. The only exceptions were three SUVs because they were not available as a three-pedal.

I considered the 8ZF momentarily and got over the thought quickly. Hence, the 6MT M235i now our garage. It is my wife's car.

Having just returned from an extended road trip on the M235i, I can speak gobs of accolades for the entire package including the 6MT. There's is nothing like taking mountain roads, rowing the stick through the gears with a little heel-toe for good measure.

Regarding your other question, I can only speak from my ownership of a 2005 WRX STi back 10 years ago. I kept that car for a little over three years. It was great and fun machine. Top end speed was a little interesting as I remember watching the hood scoop literally bouncing. It was a rally car after and was engineered for mongo torque, spirited sprints and not WOT top speed.

The M235i is a best, all-around sports coupe IMHO.
      04-07-2015, 03:52 PM   #78
2yo
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akuan99 View Post
What's the point of comparing two different opinions?
After all they are just opinions.
We know that everyone value their own opinions more than others'.
We are comparing opinions because OP asked us for ours in reference to their question. Also, if I don't say in my posts that it is "my opinion" and does not apply to all, then it looks like I am just trying to push my opinion on others. Two sides to every story, so while some say automatics aren't fun and take the enjoyment out of driving, I don't agree in this case. If it wasn't for discussion of opinions, there wouldn't be forums like this. Just my two cents to compare the options so OP makes the best decision for themselves.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 03:58 PM   #79
Silvermike
Second Lieutenant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW M220i 6MT

Garage List
2015 M220  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by abirmaher View Post
Exactly!

I really like ure build. Well done.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 04:13 PM   #80
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

I have the applesauce!!! I hope this has helped you in your decision.
      04-07-2015, 04:19 PM   #81
akuan99
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
We are comparing opinions because OP asked us for ours in reference to their question. Also, if I don't say in my posts that it is "my opinion" and does not apply to all, then it looks like I am just trying to push my opinion on others. Two sides to every story, so while some say automatics aren't fun and take the enjoyment out of driving, I don't agree in this case. If it wasn't for discussion of opinions, there wouldn't be forums like this. Just my two cents to compare the options so OP makes the best decision for themselves.
Your comment "The opinion that it is not as fun as the manual is also lost on me, as moving my right arm and left leg while driving does not make it any more interesting on a day to day basis TO ME than flicking some paddles and being in the gear that I want to be in. That is just my opinion. "
came across (to me) like trying to push your preference to others.

You could have stated that "I find it more interesting flicking some paddles and being in the right gear than moving my right arm and left leg while driving."
But you started with "The opinion ...".

While we are in the subject of opinion.
I don't really like shifting with paddles.
I tried to like them for 3 years and one of the most annoying aspect is that you have to have both hands on wheel at the right places to operate them.
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2015, 04:23 PM   #82
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Applesauce
      04-07-2015, 04:24 PM   #83
2yo
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akuan99 View Post
Your comment "The opinion that it is not as fun as the manual is also lost on me, as moving my right arm and left leg while driving does not make it any more interesting on a day to day basis TO ME than flicking some paddles and being in the gear that I want to be in. That is just my opinion. "
came across (to me) like trying to push your preference to others.

You could have stated that "I find it more interesting flicking some paddles and being in the right gear than moving my right arm and left leg while driving."
But you started with "The opinion ...".

I tried to like them for 3 years and one of the most annoying aspect is that you have to have both hands on wheel at the right places to operate them.
I worded it that way to try to avoid having it come across like that. I apparently failed. It is not that I find it "more interesting," as you put it, it's that I don't find it any less interesting.

Your opinion counts just as much as the next guy's/gal's. We are here to share them so OP can read them and come a conclusion.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 04:46 PM   #84
crawfordbay
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Garage List
1998 BMW M Coupe  [0.00]
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by akuan99

The paddles were what finally tipped me towards the AT.

But I found that I really don't like using them either. For me they are in the way of my hands right at the point where I grip the wheel.

Regret the AT. Next time I shall be flawless.
      04-07-2015, 04:49 PM   #85
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
I worded it that way to try to avoid having it come across like that. I apparently failed. It is not that I find it "more interesting," as you put it, it's that I don't find it any less interesting.

Your opinion counts just as much as the next guy's/gal's. We are here to share them so OP can read them and come a conclusion.
Are you sure you're "only 24"? Your demeanor is way ahead of many others'!
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 2
      04-07-2015, 04:54 PM   #86
atxlos
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 EB M235i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawfordbay View Post
The paddles were what finally tipped me towards the AT.

But I found that I really don't like using them either. For me they are in the way of my hands right at the point where I grip the wheel.

Regret the AT. Next time I shall be flawless.
I actually did notice this when enjoying the AT during a test drive (I did enjoy it, the fast shifting was very nice). For some reason, I found having to have both hands on the steering wheel to quickly shift up and down when I was making turns, bugged me, I eventually reverted to using the auto shift stick which feels a lot less gratifying, so as if I was driving a 6MT.

I do have to say though, those fast shifts are pretty lovely.
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2015, 05:05 PM   #87
2yo
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Are you sure you're "only 24"? Your demeanor is way ahead of many others'!
Hey, thanks. I appreciate that. Still 24 for the next 2 months.

Just happy to be able to purchase myself this car.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 05:46 PM   #88
m0viestar
Rep
Drives: 2006 STi, 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
m0viestar: if you are an avid three-pedal driver, then you will miss and maybe even regret giving up on a manual tranni. I am. Hence, the majority of cars and even trucks we've owned are/were manual transmission optioned. The only exceptions were three SUVs because they were not available as a three-pedal.

I considered the 8ZF momentarily and got over the thought quickly. Hence, the 6MT M235i now our garage. It is my wife's car.

Having just returned from an extended road trip on the M235i, I can speak gobs of accolades for the entire package including the 6MT. There's is nothing like taking mountain roads, rowing the stick through the gears with a little heel-toe for good measure.

Regarding your other question, I can only speak from my ownership of a 2005 WRX STi back 10 years ago. I kept that car for a little over three years. It was great and fun machine. Top end speed was a little interesting as I remember watching the hood scoop literally bouncing. It was a rally car after and was engineered for mongo torque, spirited sprints and not WOT top speed.

The M235i is a best, all-around sports coupe IMHO.
I wouldn't say I am an avid 3-pedal driver. I love a good manual trans as the next guy, but I also appreciate good automatic transmissions. We are getting rid of my wife's civic but will also probably get rid of the STi as well just to make the m235i more "affordable"

My STi is indeed quite the machine. The grip is ridiculous, even when you think you shouldn't have any there is still grip. But yeah after about 100mph the hood scoop and spoiler are bobbing up and down and I fear they will rattle themselves off.

Ultimately I think my wife will drive the car more than I will, and she only drives automatics. She literally cannot physically press the clutch pedal down all the way. I think it will work out. It was just a big purchase and I didn't want to screw it up lol.
Appreciate 0