THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Am I going to regret the automatic?

04-02-2015, 02:47 PM   #45
kd0t
Banned
Rep
Drives: M235i

I find myself missing the extra pedal to be honest. Paddle shifters are good but nothing will replace the clutch pedal though. But then again, it's all personal preference I guess
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 03:41 PM   #46
ocN55
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i 6MT/ '16 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0viestar View Post
everyone praises this as the best automatic they've driven so I figure i'll give it a shot. We're still young (under 30) so my knee hurting is the least of my problems. However, traffic here in Hawaii is especially bad and it does indeed suck driving stick in traffic.

Is it true its the same trans in the new Challenger Hellcat?
Driving stick isn't that bad in traffic, I feel more bad for the car than I do myself lol. The clutch is super light and engages buttery smooth, I think you'll be fine in traffic. To my credit, I drive the Los Angeles freeways everyday lol
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 03:54 PM   #47
davefromfla
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M440ix

The 8 speed in my 235 is better than the 7 speed DCT in my last 2 135's. They are all better in terms of performance and flexibility than my last 2 M3's which were manuals. Just my opinion after having them all.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 04:30 PM   #48
tccox
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Msport

Garage List
62 years old here and drive my dream car, a 228 msport, manual. It's a joy EVEN in heavy traffic. Bought a 128 auto in 2012, lost a lot of money trading it for my 228 two years later. You will regret the auto, I promise.
Edit
To be fair, the zf 8 speed is a vast improvement over the step In my 128
      04-02-2015, 05:06 PM   #49
crawfordbay
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Garage List
1998 BMW M Coupe  [0.00]
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tccox
You will regret the auto, I promise.
I regret the auto. Living proof of what you say is true.
      04-02-2015, 05:16 PM   #50
M_Proper
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

I have to chime in here because I think I have some good insight for you.

I was in the same position you were. Truly.

But I came to find out - YOU WILL NOT REGRET THE AT!

I promise you.

I've always favored manual transmissions. However - I drove the auto and was astonished. (and full disclosure I didn't want to wait 8 weeks for an MT)

This isn't like my Lexus where you hit the paddle- wait 2 seconds and you're in the gear you selected. No sir. You hit that paddle and the shift occurs instantly. Instantly. I'm talking DCT speed.

I'll tell you what-
You put the car in sport mode- move the gear selector into manual mode.....and use the steering wheel paddles to select gears and IT IS JUST LIKE A MANUAL WITH NO CLUTCH. The car will NOT upshift until you hit the paddle or redline. It will also downshift on command to whatever gear you want, instantly, as long as your gear selection doesn't put the revs over the redline.

You will NOT regret the auto. I promise. I will pay you $50 if after a week you don't like it.

It is truly awesome.

(edit) Another bonus....you can brake boost the turbo on launch....and you don't lose boost during shifts! Who can argue with that?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 05:26 PM   #51
M_Proper
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ChrisRuck View Post
Are you going to regret the Automatic? Two words, Hell No! It's freakin awesome Okay that was five words...

Seriously i'm not just saying that because I have the automatic. I ordered this car and had a choice of either manual or automatic. I've owned numerous cars, most manual shift. I've owned two 350Z's, a 370Z, a C6 Corvette, a Sheby Cobra, a 325Ci, a Z3 3.0 coupe and several others. ALL of those cars were manual shift. They were a blast, I loved them.

I to was worried if I would regret the automatic. After living with it for just four days now, it truly is phenomenal and very progressive. Don't take that the wrong way, it's technology and progressive nature don't take away from the fun of the driving experience as one may expect. On the contrary, it truly enhances the fun of the driving experience, at least in this car. BMW has done a great job with this transmission. We need to stop being ashamed to admit that its awesome just because it's not maual shift. This is coming from a guy who swore "I'll never buy an automatic transmission car!" Now I finally understand the meaning of "Never say never". This is the most fun transmission i've experienced in any car, automatic, manual shift, DSG, Tiptronic. The automatic in the 2 Series is the best i've experienced. It's insanely fun!

It's like you get two completely different transmissions in one car, sport driving mode(6-gear transmission) vs comfort driving mode(8-gear transmission) not to mention the way the transmission downshifts as your breaking in anticipation of your desire or need to accelerate out.

Again i've only owned my M235i for four days now but I can honestly say that I'm beyond happy with my choice, NO REGRETS!

In closing it's all about personal taste. For what it's worth, I'm die hard manual shift car enthusiast who wouldn't trade his 8-Speed AUTOMATIC M235i for nothing in the world. Okay maybe, for a million dollars and yes it would have to be something that drastic, that's how much I like it
Spot on, brother.

Die hard, heel toe shifting manual transmission guy here.

BUT - If my ZR1 had this tranny, I wouldn't regret it.
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2015, 07:41 PM   #52
m0viestar
Rep
Drives: 2006 STi, 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Proper View Post

I promise you.

I've always favored manual transmissions. However - I drove the auto and was astonished. (and full disclosure I didn't want to wait 8 weeks for an MT)

This isn't like my Lexus where you hit the paddle- wait 2 seconds and you're in the gear you selected. No sir. You hit that paddle and the shift occurs instantly. Instantly. I'm talking DCT speed.

I'll tell you what-
You put the car in sport mode- move the gear selector into manual mode.....and use the steering wheel paddles to select gears and IT IS JUST LIKE A MANUAL WITH NO CLUTCH. The car will NOT upshift until you hit the paddle or redline. It will also downshift on command to whatever gear you want, instantly, as long as your gear selection doesn't put the revs over the redline.

You will NOT regret the auto. I promise. I will pay you $50 if after a week you don't like it.

It is truly awesome.

(edit) Another bonus....you can brake boost the turbo on launch....and you don't lose boost during shifts! Who can argue with that?

I'll hold you to the $50
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 07:54 PM   #53
MrBucket
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 AW M2 6MT Exec Pack

If it was me, 100% I'd be unhappy with the automatic. I even test drove a M4 this week and while the MDCT was really an amazing transmission, it wouldn't be the one for me.

First M235i I ever drove was an automatic and I went for the manual never having driven one and it was the right choice.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2015, 09:24 AM   #54
M_Proper
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0viestar View Post
I'll hold you to the $50
LOL. Good deal.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2015, 09:27 AM   #55
bacampbe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 Z4 M40i PB

Adding to my earlier comment:

I hedged my bet on the AT by leasing this one. If I miss the MT after 3 years without it, I will change back. (Assuming you can still get an MT by then :-) )
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2015, 10:58 AM   #56
bladeomatic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Proper View Post

I promise you.

I'll tell you what-
This!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2015, 11:01 AM   #57
atxlos
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 EB M235i 6MT

You guys are starting to make me regret ordering a 6MT! I drove the AT and found it to be pretty awesome.

6MT is still cool....right.....guys...?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2015, 11:42 AM   #58
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxlos View Post
You guys are starting to make me regret ordering a 6MT! I drove the AT and found it to be pretty awesome.

Still the only way I would go. Here's the bottom line. The AT is the best one around. Period. But, if you're a vegetarian, it doesn't matter if you get a free dinner at Peter Luger* offered to you. What is cool is having your first choice. Enjoy! I am!

*If you're not familiar, look it up...and then go eat when in NYC next.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2015, 12:31 PM   #59
mfourn20
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i M Sport

I test drove the 228 in auto and manual...I was bored by the auto...I know I'm missing out on a little acceleration, and my wife can't experience driving it, but I don't think manuals are going to be around much longer and I felt I needed to have one last go around with a manual.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2015, 01:10 PM   #60
2yo
Private
Rep
Drives: '15 228i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Still the only way I would go. Here's the bottom line. The AT is the best one around. Period. But, if you're a vegetarian, it doesn't matter if you get a free dinner at Peter Luger* offered to you. What is cool is having your first choice. Enjoy! I am!

And make sure to bring a lot of cash to Peter Luger, cause they don't take credit cards. Worth it 100%.

Oh, and in the spirit of the thread topic, I got the auto with the full knowledge that I enjoy driving manual. Not once have I been upset or wished that I got the manual. I truly think that you will not regret the auto. Manual is fun, but for me (in my opinion which does not reflect on any others here who I am sure are bound to think differently), it's not a daily driver.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2015, 03:24 PM   #61
tccox
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ant601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post

And make sure to bring a lot of cash to Peter Luger, cause they don't take credit cards. Worth it 100%.

Oh, and in the spirit of the thread topic, I got the auto with the full knowledge that I enjoy driving manual. Not once have I been upset or wished that I got the manual. I truly think that you will not regret the auto. Manual is fun, but for me (in my opinion which does not reflect on any others here who I am sure are bound to think differently), it's not a daily driver.
Now, that just depends. If I worked 8 to 5 in downtown Charlotte and dealt with that traffic, I'd agree with you. However my commute to work is sixteen miles on two lane roads , part of which is a wonderful mountain like curvy road. This is one 62 year old ol fart who's a loving his manual as a daily driver.
      04-03-2015, 05:26 PM   #62
1ChrisRuck
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Garage List
2018 M2 LCI  [10.00]
OMG, really....

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxlos View Post

Without a doubt 6-Speed manual transmission is cool, especially in a new 2-Series but the other side of the same coin reveals that the 8-Speed automatic is undoubtedly just as fun!

I truly don't understand the "big deal" or all the controversy

I'm a major fan of 6-Speed manual transmission cars. I've owned many cars in my lifetime. 95% of the cars I've owned were manual transmission. When I owned my Nissan Z's and my C6 Corvette I met many owners of the same type of car with the only difference being is that there's were automatic transmission. Did it make their cars less of a car because they chose automtatic? I think not. I apprecitated and repspect their decision. Never once did it ever occur to me to demean their decision to purchase an automatic simply because it was different than my decision to purchase manual shift. An automatic 2-Series is less fun as a manual shift 2-Series! Says who? That philosophy is just as absurd as a BMW without the lighting package with halos is less of a car, again absurd.

Let me make one thing clear! I FOR ONE LOVE MANUAL TRANSMISSION CARS, period! The 8-Speed A-U-T-O-M-A-T-I-C transmission in the M235i blew my mind. Like many others I wasn't expecting it to, but it did. It totally surpasses all my expectations. What the hell is wrong with that. The controversy and the comments "6-Speed manual the ONLY way to go", what gives? Countless owners who own the 8-Speed automatic have owned and driven manual transmission cars yet they all say over and over time and time again how freakin impressed they are with the automatic transmission. It gets slightly better gas mileage, it's slighly quicker from 0-60. In most other situations the aforementioned better gas mileage and being a little quicker would normally be considered a good thing and not "the nerve of you to buy an automatic" basically we just wasted $50K.

To everyone who personally decided to purchase their 2-Series with manual transmissions, I as 8-Speed automatic owner fully support your decision. Know that I'm happy if your happy. It does not bother me that you chose manual and YES I know that your car is no less fun as mine simply because we have differ transmissions. Both transmissons are equally as fun. I don't get what about that fact is so controversial aside from the fact that automatic transmissions don't generally get so much praise for being so much fun. I understand that some may find it difficult to understand why we chose the automatic. Trust me, we have our reasons, reason being is because its so day-um fun!

BMW did a great job with both transmissons. Be proud and confident in either one.

On a side note. Owning an Exotic Supercar one day is on my bucket list. I can assure you that simply because the Lamborghini or Ferrari I hope to purchase one day IS NOT available with a manual transmisson, that will not stop me from buying one.

In closing purchase the one you truly want despite what anyone here feels including me. Your the one who has to live with it.

Know that when anyone asks this its just stirring sh!t up causing one side or the other to defend their decisions. Since I'm responsible for paying the monthly note, I could care less if anyone likes my auto transmission or not.
I LOVE IT $50K well spent.
I ordered my M235i and waited four months for delivery. If I had it to do all over again, I'd order the 8-Speed automatic again.

I'm not explaining my decision, I'm revelling in it

Last edited by 1ChrisRuck; 04-03-2015 at 06:40 PM..
Appreciate 2
      04-03-2015, 10:56 PM   #63
akuan99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M-Sport Track 6MT

Quote:
I understand that some may find it difficult to understand why we chose the automatic. Trust me, we have our reasons, reason being is because its so day-um fun!
:
I think there are even more people that find it difficult to accept some sticking to MT when AT is faster and more fuel efficient.
This is likely main reason MT vs AT thread is one of the most debated topics.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 12:23 AM   #64
shazzy04
Lieutenant Colonel
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '15 F22 M235i

I thought I would regret the auto coming from manuals, but its really not that bad. Sport mode is impressive.

Mods coming soon
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 02:17 AM   #65
m0viestar
Rep
Drives: 2006 STi, 2015 M235i

Quote:

*snip*
well said. We'll see how it is come July
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 06:24 AM   #66
tccox
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by akuan99
Quote:
I understand that some may find it difficult to understand why we chose the automatic. Trust me, we have our reasons, reason being is because its so day-um fun!
:
I think there are even more people that find it difficult to accept some sticking to MT when AT is faster and more fuel efficient.
This is likely main reason MT vs AT thread is one of the most debated topics.
.1 of a second , 1 mpg is hardly a significant difference. But omg the difference in fun factor is amazing