THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery BMW residual values are a joke now!!!!

01-15-2016, 11:06 AM   #67
LimeRockM235
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
When I did the BMW M-school we asked what happened to this gorgeous fleet of fully loaded M cars, and the answer was "they get "Refurbished" and resold - but the customers know they were corporate race cars" - I expect they end up with a similar fate, and the only way you know your M car was used on track its entire life is the 3" of rubber accumulated in the underside of the wheel wells.

At the same time, I've had a friend buy a Subaru Exec demo from one of my other friends who is a Subaru sales manager and he had no issues with the car well over 100k into the life of the vehicle.

There was just reports of someone buying Jeremy Clarkson's M3 demo vehicle over in the UK after it kept having mechanical problems.

FWIW, if you're leasing, executive demos would be a great deal - you'll have a warranty and ultimately you're giving BMW the car back. I'd feel less worried about it then. Nothing to say a "new" car couldn't have had some jackass take it for a brutal test drive. People even complain that their Euro delivery cars have too much mileage upon redelivery.

At the end of the day, cars are usually meant to be driven, and someone will probably abuse it at some point - that's why it's a machine made of replaceable parts.
im actually driving one of those cars. i work for a dealer and stole the car. sticker was above 60k and i got it for well under that with 800 miles of track time. it needed tires and a brake flush my lease payment is well below 500 dollars with just first month due at signing.
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2016, 07:26 PM   #68
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeRockM235 View Post
im actually driving one of those cars. i work for a dealer and stole the car. sticker was above 60k and i got it for well under that with 800 miles of track time. it needed tires and a brake flush my lease payment is well below 500 dollars with just first month due at signing.
Here's an interesting question- BMW would very quickly deny a warranty claim if they found out it was something that was damaged as a result of track use. I wonder if the car started off it's life as a track rat, would they look the other way if you came in with some problem that was a result of someone else breaking your engine in like a race horse?

I suppose if you got such a good deal it may be worth the gamble, but that part does scare me a bit if the break in period consisted of driving around the Skidpad.
      01-16-2016, 09:00 AM   #69
LimeRockM235
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i Xdrive

Quote:
Here's an interesting question- BMW would very quickly deny a warranty claim if they found out it was something that was damaged as a result of track use. I wonder if the car started off it's life as a track rat, would they look the other way if you came in with some problem that was a result of someone else breaking your engine in like a race horse?

I suppose if you got such a good deal it may be worth the gamble, but that part does scare me a bit if the break in period consisted of driving around the Skidpad.
so its a "disclosure" car. it works the same way a executive demo works as far as warranty, but the catch is that they will never certify the car. so when i turn in the car or i choose to buy it out i or the future owner have no option for a factory warranty after the 4 year 50,000 miles. essentially ill beat the piss out of it and get another at the end of the lease. my dealer group just bought a Porsche dealer so ill be getting an employee lease on a Cayman S and not think about the 235.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 03:31 AM   #70
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

When you buy high performance cars what would anyone expect but huge depreciation. Just look at an M4 with 45% depreciation on a 2014 traveled 10,000 ks and their are a few for sale at these prices. If you have to complain about depreciation you cannot afford these types of cars. This is not new to BMW it's been like this always and all other car manufacture are the same.

What's funny to me is people will loan money to buy a car which is depreciating.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 12:51 AM   #71
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
When you buy high performance cars what would anyone expect but huge depreciation. Just look at an M4 with 45% depreciation on a 2014 traveled 10,000 ks and their are a few for sale at these prices. If you have to complain about depreciation you cannot afford these types of cars. This is not new to BMW it's been like this always and all other car manufacture are the same.

What's funny to me is people will loan money to buy a car which is depreciating.
At the end of a 5-year loan, is a BMW worthless? No, which is why it is perfectly fine to loan money on a "depreciating asset". I do think it a bit foolish to not put enough down to always be right-side-up on the loan though. But even without, you will typically only be underwater for the first year or so if the loan length is reasonable.

The more highly optioned the car, the bigger the depreciation hit. With very rare exceptions like the 1M, the base model with few options is the one that will sell down the road for the biggest percentage of what it cost new. I have no complaints about the amount of depreciation of my e91, but it gets a bump by being unicorn spec. I have no doubt my M235i will not retain it's value nearly as well, but at least I bought it quite well. The suckers who paid MSRP or above for the first cars are going to get screwed.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 10:53 PM   #72
snaketh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
I don't know many people who can afford a $50k car outright. Most people in the US do a lease or a loan. I can't see it being much different in NZ considering the inflated prices of BMWs over there.

Smart money says buy a 2 year old Toyota Camry and run it into the ground (10 to 15 years). I'd rather spend a little more by having a car I love, than drive a shtbox around for a decade. Life's way too short.

Last edited by snaketh; 02-07-2016 at 11:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 07:21 AM   #73
Kaeos
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future BMW Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaketh View Post
Smart money says buy a 2 year old Toyota Camry and run it into the ground (10 to 15 years). I'd rather spend a little more by having a car I love, than drive a shtbox around for a decade. Life's way too short.
So true... I'd rather spend money within reason to LIVE rather than to EXIST driving something mediocre.

I once heard a quote that said, "If you don't turn around to glance at your car in appreciation when you park it, you're driving the wrong car!".
Appreciate 1
      09-10-2019, 12:28 PM   #74
MAILIYAT
Banned
Rep
Drives: MUSTANG

Quote:
There are better and worse time of the year to buy cars.

Residuals are going to be indirectly impacted by what other rebates are going on during a time period, projected CPO sales volumes 3 years from now, and all kinds of other factors Bluestacks Lucky Patcher Kodi. It's also why you see them flip flop between 36 and 39 month leases during certain times of the year.

If you aren't happy with the current deals then you really just need to keep an eye on it and decide when to bite. I waited 4 months to pick up my first F30 to balance the residuals + UDE rebates and other programs that were being offered.
A car that was $500 month 3 months ago is now $600 month, for exact same fawking car!!!!!

Last edited by MAILIYAT; 09-10-2019 at 01:11 PM..
Appreciate 0