THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 2015 BMW 228i Sport Edition RWD Quick Drive and Walk Around Plus 0-60 Mph

06-30-2015, 10:31 PM   #1
Crashnbrn5
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 335i GT M-Sport

2015 BMW 228i Sport Edition RWD Quick Drive and Walk Around Plus 0-60 Mph

I had so much fun in the 228i. Even though it does "lack" a lot power from the M235i , this little car is NO slouch. It feels great as well and the steering gave me some feedback that reminded me of my old E90. Please like and share and comment below on what you think about this car and video. You can find me over in the super exciting X3 forums. lol

Also, I know in the video I say "wow, this car is fast!!" but I really meant to say fast for what it is. I know some people may take that as I never drove something with 500-600hp, etc, you get my point.

Last edited by Crashnbrn5; 06-30-2015 at 10:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 10:44 PM   #2
Crashnbrn5
Banned
United_States
Rep

Here are 3 nice pics from this fun day
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 11:21 PM   #3
TBro2002
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i M-Sport

Thanks for posting. Our 228i we picked up in May at Welt is still at the VPC in Port Hueneme. Can't wait for re-delivery and driving it again.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 04:32 AM   #4
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

I agree with your evaluation that the engine is smooth. I have the manual and I'm trying to get used to the shift gates and clutch take up point. Overall I am very impressed with the feel when I'm driving around. I spend most of my time in Sport mode. It's just so much fun. Not having the M Sport package is fine but I do wish the seats where more like the sport seats as I find myself adjusting the seat to tighten myself in so I don't move around as much on the twisty roads I drive on. Just cruising around though it's great.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 08:05 AM   #5
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

The 228 is a great little car. If the Vert wasn't saddled with extra heft to carry around I would've opted for the 228 coupe over the 235 for the fuel economy bump and lighter weight.
      07-01-2015, 12:11 PM   #6
mfourn20
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInfante View Post
I agree with your evaluation that the engine is smooth. I have the manual and I'm trying to get used to the shift gates and clutch take up point. Overall I am very impressed with the feel when I'm driving around. I spend most of my time in Sport mode. It's just so much fun. Not having the M Sport package is fine but I do wish the seats where more like the sport seats as I find myself adjusting the seat to tighten myself in so I don't move around as much on the twisty roads I drive on. Just cruising around though it's great.
I've got a manual 228 m sport...I drove a no line, couldnt stand the seats...my wife's wagon has more bolstering.

Love my car.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 12:18 PM   #7
SteveInfante
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfourn20
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInfante View Post
I've got a manual 228 m sport...I drove a no line, couldnt stand the seats...my wife's wagon has more bolstering.

Love my car.
Thanks for rubbing it in. The color is harder to change than the seats.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 04:07 PM   #8
tencazzo
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 220i M Sport

Very curious about the difference between aromatic and manual. I drive stick and wondering all the time if automatic shift faster how it looks on the video. Did anyone had a choice to compare?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 04:48 PM   #9
mfourn20
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tencazzo View Post
Very curious about the difference between aromatic and manual. I drive stick and wondering all the time if automatic shift faster how it looks on the video. Did anyone had a choice to compare?
There is no performance reason to buy the manual as far as I can see...no way you could shift as fast as it does, and its not even a dual clutch. The only reason left to buy a manual like I did is because you enjoy driving manual...
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2015, 08:32 PM   #10
Merc for hire
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

The Automatic transmission is a $ 1,600 option in Canada. $1600!!!
That's a very good reason not to get the auto here.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 08:50 PM   #11
quiksilver1029
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i Mineral White M-Sport

Garage List
Automatic is faster than manual. Yea some will make the argument that manual is more sporty or whatever, and I did love my manual 328i E92, but the 8AT with paddles in this car rocks. And if you tune this car it becomes much more powerful...definitely something to consider, almost a no brainier in my opinion.
Attached Images

2015 F22 Mineral White Metallic M-Sport 228i
2007 E92 Sparkling Graphite Metallic 328i
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 11:57 PM   #12
caycep
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
there must be something wrong, it keeps telling you to use the NJ Turnpike :P
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 01:55 AM   #13
SteveInfante
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfourn20
Quote:
There is no performance reason to buy the manual as far as I can see...no way you could shift as fast as it does, and its not even a dual clutch. The only reason left to buy a manual like I did is because you enjoy driving manual...
This for sure. I enjoy driving the manual much more. Auto or DCT make me lazy when I drive.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 03:16 AM   #14
tencazzo
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 220i M Sport

The same reason to go with MT for me as well, I just cant feel this connection with my car if its AT. It is not about sporty because most of sporty cars has AT in fact. The only thing is that I hadn't chance to drive this BMW Sport 8AT to feel if it is the same no connection feeling like with other AT...
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 07:09 AM   #15
tccox
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Msport

Garage List
.1 of a second is totally insignificant, not what I'd really call "faster" however it is a great automatic, if my commute involved any kind of traffic I'd gone auto. But it doesn't and this 63 year old totally loves his 228 msport manual
      07-02-2015, 08:54 AM   #16
OpenAir
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Enzo F23 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tccox View Post
.1 of a second is totally insignificant, not what I'd really call "faster" however it is a great automatic, if my commute involved any kind of traffic I'd gone auto. But it doesn't and this 63 year old totally loves his 228 msport manual
I agree with your point regarding traffic, but I disagree with your .1 sec difference between the Auto and Man. I think it would safer to say .3 - .5 and is much more noticeable in the 228.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 09:09 AM   #17
Crashnbrn5
Banned
United_States
Rep

The automatic is not boring at all when you are driving like an as*hole. I feel its very engaging. As long as the pedal is to the floor, you should not be bored, ever! Will this process consume all your petrol, of course, but at least you can say you weren't bored. lmao

Manuals are cute, but no way better than the 8AT or dual clutch in terms of speed, excitement and engagement.

In the Sport + mode on Manuel Mode, you can literally let the rpm needle bounce off the red line numerous times and it won't shift for you like in BS Japanese cars. You can control that needle with precision and the more you practice and get better the less you will think about that manual
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 09:31 AM   #18
tccox
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Msport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenAir
Quote:
I agree with your point regarding traffic, but I disagree with your .1 sec difference between the Auto and Man. I think it would safer to say .3 - .5 and is much more noticeable in the 228.
BMW says .1 second difference between auto and manual in the 228. And having driven both , the manual feel faster imho.
      07-02-2015, 02:32 PM   #19
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashnbrn5 View Post
Manuals are cute, but no way better than the 8AT or dual clutch in terms of speed, excitement and engagement.
You are right about speed and may as well add in fuel economy, excitement can vary by preference, but, by definition, not true about engagement. With a MT, more parts of your brain are making more decisions about moving more parts of your body....that's more engagement with the car. There is nothing that can happen with AT which comes close to the mental and physical engagement needed to do a smooth double-clutch downshift. And, that's why some make the choice for MT.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 02:33 PM   #20
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Very curious about the difference between aromatic and manual.... Did anyone had a choice to compare?
The aromatic smells better.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2015, 02:34 PM   #21
quiksilver1029
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashnbrn5 View Post
The automatic is not boring at all when you are driving like an as*hole. I feel its very engaging. As long as the pedal is to the floor, you should not be bored, ever! Will this process consume all your petrol, of course, but at least you can say you weren't bored. lmao

In the Sport + mode on Manuel Mode, you can literally let the rpm needle bounce off the red line numerous times and it won't shift for you like in BS Japanese cars. You can control that needle with precision and the more you practice and get better the less you will think about that manual
I agree 8AT is not boring at all. I was about to get the manual but when I test drove the 8AT and really pushed it to the limits on some winding roads, it was so much more fun, what with being able to always keep two hands on the steering wheel with the paddles and having almost zero delay between gears. There's a reason F1 ditched manual trans years ago!

Quote:
BMW says .1 second difference between auto and manual in the 228. And having driven both , the manual feel faster imho.
.1 seconds under best conditions if you can match BMW best test driver on his best run each and every time, right? Whereas AT is always going to give you the same times...so it really comes down to the driver's skill for controlling the launch and shifting at optimal points and even then he's at a disadvantage. Feels faster is not really a quantifiable metric but thats why its your opinion. What you're feeling as faster is probably that 1st gear can take you since to a higher velocity since its a 6 speed vs an 8 speed.

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 02:45 PM   #22
quiksilver1029
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
You are right about speed and may as well add in fuel economy, excitement can vary by preference, but, by definition, not true about engagement. With a MT, more parts of your brain are making more decisions about moving more parts of your body....that's more engagement with the car. There is nothing that can happen with AT which comes close to the mental and physical engagement needed to do a smooth double-clutch downshift. And, that's why some make the choice for MT.
Engagement is a tricky term to try and define. Yes with a manual car you are using more of your brain and body to drive the car, but doesn't that mean that with this multitasking you're technically less safe because you're worried about having take your hand on the wheel to shift, or drop in your left foot on the clutch to downshift and brake in heated situations when you could just have a computer do it instantaneously for you or you mash the paddle button on the steering wheel, while keeping all your focus on the road ahead.

Maybe statistics are in your favor because most people who drive AT are simpletons but if you're performance oriented and you've had a stick car before and then you get a BMW AT then I think you can find ways to enjoy the new experience, and engage just as much if not more.

There is no hard and fast rule to measure which car is more engaging so this thread will inevitably dissolve into opinions left and right but I can think of plenty of reasons why the 8AT is better, and like I said before...most professional race cars employ automatic transmissions and I'm sure you can agree that any team would want their driver as engaged as possible.

Appreciate 0