THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery PCD coming up in 2 weeks...going to tow back home

12-16-2017, 08:56 PM   #1
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

PCD coming up in 2 weeks...going to tow back home

Greetings,

The time is near! I have a PCD lined up for Jan 3rd, and my current plan is to tow my new m240i home on a U-haul auto carrier with an Enterprise Truck Rental 1-ton pickup truck. Total rental cost is < $400 with a 3-day local pickup truck rental (unlimited miles), allowing me to drive the truck there and hook up to a U-haul auto carrier/trailer nearby the Greer, SC Performance Center.

I was originally contemplating a one-way flight there and a $565 U-haul truck + carrier rental to get me back home since this gives me the option of canceling the U-haul rental completely if weather permits me to drive the new car home instead. However, if bad winter conditions pop up, I'll be annoyed as I'll have to do the whole U-haul thing anyways and end up paying over 2x as much. I also don't particularly like flying and like to avoid it if possible, so my current plan just makes the most sense to me.

Am I asking for trouble trying to set the car up on my own? I watched the U-haul video and it seems like a piece of cake. I'm mainly worried about the built-in ramps on the carrier being too steep and the car scraping or bottoming out somewhere. I just don't know if these carriers are designed for lower cars like a sports coupe.

Thanks in advance! Oh yeah, I'm SUPER excited about this freaking car! My first BMW too.
      12-30-2017, 09:28 PM   #2
xantdieselx
Kingslayer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23' M3 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP911 View Post
Greetings,

The time is near! I have a PCD lined up for Jan 3rd, and my current plan is to tow my new m240i home on a U-haul auto carrier with an Enterprise Truck Rental 1-ton pickup truck. Total rental cost is < $400 with a 3-day local pickup truck rental (unlimited miles), allowing me to drive the truck there and hook up to a U-haul auto carrier/trailer nearby the Greer, SC Performance Center.

I was originally contemplating a one-way flight there and a $565 U-haul truck + carrier rental to get me back home since this gives me the option of canceling the U-haul rental completely if weather permits me to drive the new car home instead. However, if bad winter conditions pop up, I'll be annoyed as I'll have to do the whole U-haul thing anyways and end up paying over 2x as much. I also don't particularly like flying and like to avoid it if possible, so my current plan just makes the most sense to me.

Am I asking for trouble trying to set the car up on my own? I watched the U-haul video and it seems like a piece of cake. I'm mainly worried about the built-in ramps on the carrier being too steep and the car scraping or bottoming out somewhere. I just don't know if these carriers are designed for lower cars like a sports coupe.

Thanks in advance! Oh yeah, I'm SUPER excited about this freaking car! My first BMW too.
Why not just drive it home OP? You'll get the break-in miles in (depending on how far away you are) which is a PITA. You could just use some 3M painters tape to protect the front from chips or even better just ask them not to remove any of the protective film from the factory.

You'll save some cash and get to know your 2 on the way back. Just for reference this is what it will look like. Plenty of protection.
Attached Images

Previous Cars: 2008' 135i, 2010' 328i, 2013' 328i, 2016' M235i, 2017' X1, 2019' M240i
Current Cars: 2019' X3, 2021' M3 Comp
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 09:39 PM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I think there is a high chance you can scrape the car trying to position it on the carrier. Even with planks to minimize approach angle there is a high chance other dimension won't be amicable to the 2-series.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 06:14 AM   #4
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Seems like delivery at local dealer and separate trip to SC for a one day driving course would make a LOT more sense.
Appreciate 0