THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Disable both DSC/DTC? Am I going crazy?

06-29-2014, 02:40 PM   #23
one1er
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i (Yet to come)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidpaper View Post
Sorry for the necro, but I think I found our answer.

You can turn DSC (and DTC) completely off and it does not put the car into comfort mode. DSC off mode is an entirely different mode in and of itself (Not eco, comfort, sport, or sport +) - DSC is off, the E-diff (or LSD if you have it) system is on, the chassis is in sport, but the throttle is in comfort. However, there is a very good reason for this. If anyone is familiar with throttle steering, you wouldn't necessarily want a super responsive throttle, as you have to feather the throttle to stay on your racing line and hit your apex, etc.

I think this is why when you try selecting a mode per the normal switch, it looks like the car is still in comfort - it's not really in any of those modes.

Of course, I suppose it would be nice to pick which type of throttle response we would like in DSC off mode, but I can understand BMW's choice of "comfort" throttle in DSC off mode. Hope this helps. Cheers.
That makes sense, but some people swear that the suspension goes back to comfort too, not just the throttle alone...
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 02:46 PM   #24
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

ya i don't think they would show comfort but still have the suspension in sport.... else how would you go back to "all comfort" then?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 02:55 PM   #25
Liquidpaper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
ya i don't think they would show comfort but still have the suspension in sport.... else how would you go back to "all comfort" then?
Hm, good point, but doesn't the screen show "DSC OFF - Dynamic driving with no stability control" when you turn off the DSC? I could be wrong on this, but if you read the manual, this scenario makes sense - DSC off is just a different mode altogether - it's not really in comfort entirely, even if it says so (but I am not sure if it does).

At the very least, at least you can turn it off (thankfully). If anyone tracks their car, having any sort of traction control on can get you into a lot of trouble if you're at the limit of traction and trying to hold your line...
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 03:04 PM   #26
one1er
Private First Class
Rep

From the numerous video reviews and drifting we've seen these stock cars do, I think it's preeeetty safe to say you can turn everything off and slide it to lunacy! I find it odd that the car reverts back to comfort when in DSC off, more still considering that no motor journalist noticed/mentioned it...
I get the logic of having the throttle in comfort, but not for the suspension and steering...
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2014, 04:22 PM   #27
th1rd3y3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i xDrive

Yeah after getting more acclimated with the car, long hold on the DSC button does disable it. It's worked well auto-xing the car. My guess is the e-diff just takes some getting used to. I've noticed the car can break free, start sliding and then just magically find grip from somewhere. I'm guessing that's how the e-diff works. It feels mostly unnatural which is why I assumed something electronic was interfering. Off though, it will absolutely let you get sideways/fully spin as I found out that on a wet and rainy autox.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 07:51 PM   #28
bladeomatic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

As a 1st time owner of a BMW, this is what drives me crazy. All the hidden sh*t that's not documented anywhere.

What *exactly* happens when you tip the shifter in sport mode?
How do you turn DSC completely off ( I know...long hold on DSC button)

There are a dozen little things like this that are quite mysterious and it's difficult to get a clear definition from any authority.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 02:41 AM   #29
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

So on track what's better?

DTC off (traction mode) and stay in sport plus

Or

DSC off and let the throttle revert back to comfort?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 01:24 PM   #30
one1er
Private First Class
Rep

I read on babybmw.net that when setting revert back to comfort when turning DSC off, it's software fault...

A guy there had that and went to the dealer to reinstall software and cured it! Now he can turn DSC off and remain in sport +
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 01:32 PM   #31
captpn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

Looks like it can be disabled enough to have this kinda fun:

228i autocross fun laps

and a more serious lap
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 04:26 PM   #32
Mullins
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i EB

Quote:
Originally Posted by one1er View Post
I read on babybmw.net that when setting revert back to comfort when turning DSC off, it's software fault...

A guy there had that and went to the dealer to reinstall software and cured it! Now he can turn DSC off and remain in sport +
Link perhaps? Would be very interested to know if this really is the case.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 04:36 PM   #33
one1er
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullins View Post
Link perhaps? Would be very interested to know if this really is the case.
http://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewtop...63396&start=15
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 07:47 PM   #34
Mullins
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i EB

Hmm, well that was less than definitive. It sounds like even if you can get your suspension and shift points to stay in sport+ the throttle sensitivity is still reverting to comfort. Seems like this is still broken. Wonder if this is modifiable through Esys?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 09:23 PM   #35
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep

There are three questions that need confirmation:

1) Is the intent from BMW to revert the throttle back to comfort for better throttle feathering ability on track with DSC off or is this in fact a bug ?

2) If in fact a bug, was it fixed with newest firmware?

3) Does the steering and suspension remain in Sport plus? I can't tell as I'm still breaking in my car
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 12:12 AM   #36
FunRevn
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5

I tried this the other day when taking the M235 on an extended test drive.

When in Sport + and you long hold the DSC button the idrive screen states that the car is in SPORT MODE for both Drive train and Chassis. What seems to be throwing everyone off is when you push the settings button next to the shift lever (sorry I forgot what its called) it appears that you are coming from Comfort mode.

Not sure why they do that but I think that if you touch the buttons I can remember the name of, you are now no longer in DSC OFF mode and then you are actually now in Comfort. So no touchy after long holding the DSC button or you will actually revert to comfort.
2007 X3 MSport - retired
1995 M3 - retired
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 12:31 AM   #37
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunRevn
I tried this the other day when taking the M235 on an extended test drive.

When in Sport + and you long hold the DSC button the idrive screen states that the car is in SPORT MODE for both Drive train and Chassis. What seems to be throwing everyone off is when you push the settings button next to the shift lever (sorry I forgot what its called) it appears that you are coming from Comfort mode.

Not sure why they do that but I think that if you touch the buttons I can remember the name of, you are now no longer in DSC OFF mode and then you are actually now in Comfort. So no touchy after long holding the DSC button or you will actually revert to comfort.
We get that. The question is does the throttle in fact revert to comfort?

As is all this confirmed?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 12:51 AM   #38
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

well it should be easy to tell if the throttle is changed or not....

Just do the test maintaining constant throttle on the pedal while doing the setting change....

If you are driving at constant throttle and from comfort you go to sport you can see the car accelerates by itself as sport has a different thorttle mapping...

I would expect that if you are in sport + then and push and hold the DSC button then the car would decelerate if throttle mapping is like comfort or stay the same if it's still in sport mode
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 01:30 AM   #39
FunRevn
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5

It losses a bit of throttle iirc.
2007 X3 MSport - retired
1995 M3 - retired
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 09:39 AM   #40
luvthestck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18’ Q7,16'981 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by th1rd3y3 View Post
Ok so I've had my car for about a week and this is really driving me nuts. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get both DTC/DSC fully off. In standard comfort mode, one press of the button above the Sport mode selector will show "Traction" in the display and say DTC activated. A long press on that will show "DSC Off".

My understanding was that this setting should turn everything off, however, that's not been my experience. On 3 different occasions with the settings in this position, the rear of the car has started to slide, yet something stops the slide and the light beside the orange "OFF" indicator between the gauges flashes.

Also, holding the DSC button in Sport or Sport + mode kicks me back into Comfort mode? What is up with that, apparently this is common, but why on earth would I want the Comfort chassis/drivetrain options set if I'm turning everything else off?

If this has been covered before, I apologize. For what it's worth my wife's '13 335 does not seem to behave in this manner. I've autoxed her car a few times with everything off and it allows the car to get pretty sideways. My car is manual, but I wouldn't think that would make it function differently.
Just a piece of advice: DONT TURN THEM BOTH OFF ON PUBLIC ROADS EVEN WHEN THERE IS NO TRAFFIC.I learnt that lesson the hard way.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 10:38 AM   #41
th1rd3y3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthestck View Post
Just a piece of advice: DONT TURN THEM BOTH OFF ON PUBLIC ROADS EVEN WHEN THERE IS NO TRAFFIC.I learnt that lesson the hard way.

Yes if you're not familiar with driving a decently powere RWD car then that would be good advice. I pretty much disable it immediately upon entering the car and drive nowhere with it on. I dislike it's interference, especially when not expecting it to do so.

On another note, I discovered that the TPMS and DSC are linked together. Yesterday at an autox I adjusted my tire pressures outside the specs of what the TPMS thought was "safe". Once it thought there was a flat or low tire, I could no longer disable DSC. It let me turn it off while sitting still, but after launching off the line, the DSC Off light would go away and it re-enabled itself rendering 3 of my 5 runs completely useless as the car had no power or ability to rotate on throttle.

Any ideas on how to get around this or code it out completely. I was able to air my rear tires back up to 38 (from the 32 I was running) and reset the TPMS for my last run and keep DSC off but not being able to adjust tire pressures to what I want for a short amount of time is absurd.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 11:24 AM   #42
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by th1rd3y3 View Post
Yes if you're not familiar with driving a decently powere RWD car then that would be good advice. I pretty much disable it immediately upon entering the car and drive nowhere with it on. I dislike it's interference, especially when not expecting it to do so.
A) If you're regularly encountering scenarios where DSC/DTC are engaging on public roads, you deserve to lose your license for endangering the public.

B) You're not Ayrton Senna. Get over yourself, and turn the safeguards back on. You do need them.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 04:51 PM   #43
th1rd3y3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
A) If you're regularly encountering scenarios where DSC/DTC are engaging on public roads, you deserve to lose your license for endangering the public.

B) You're not Ayrton Senna. Get over yourself, and turn the safeguards back on. You do need them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post

Thanks for derailing this thread.

A) I never said nor did I imply that I drive to a point where the DSC has engaged on my car on a regular basis in my normal driving. I have had it interfere in other cars when making evasive maneuvers, and it's not a nice feeling. I prefer that my car does what I want it to do, not what the computer thinks is appropriate.

B) I've also not claimed to be an expert driver, however, don't make assumptions of my driving skills. If you feel safer with them on, leave them on.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 07:12 PM   #44
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Can we get back on topic please?
Appreciate 0