THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Ordered mine with a manual

07-09-2014, 08:24 AM   #23
tccox
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Msport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjposner View Post
Wow, nearly $49k for a 228i loaded. I paid a grand more for my 235i six speed, and the only thing I don't have is the cold weather and driver assist, lighting and alarm (but I do have the hk sound).

BMW amazes me with their priceing for packages. His 228 is nearly $9000 more than my 228.
      07-09-2014, 09:05 AM   #24
mfourn20
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i M Sport

I'd really like to get a manual. I agree that we won't have the manual option much longer and the manual is just so much more engaging...It also "feels" faster even though it's actually slower.

However....I mountain bike, and kayak. My current car has roof racks on it, and I just don't want roof racks on my next car. My wife has a Jetta Sportwagen, and roof racks will be going onto her car. She currently can't drive stick, so this means if I were to take her car kayaking (an all day affair) she'd be left without a car.

At the dealership we sat in a manual 228i, because shes open to learning, however she has very short legs so with the seat adjusted forward so that she can push the clutch all the way in the steering wheel was right in her chest, and it was adjusted all the way forward as well. I figure I'll make a small sacrifice and get an auto so she has the opportunity to comfortably drive my car.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 09:48 AM   #25
one1er
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i (Yet to come)

I'm sure your wife can learn and manage...every short tall slim fat white black stupid smart "b..tch" drives manual in europe...

Have her "take one" for the team! LOL :P
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 08:49 PM   #26
HarmOG
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 228

I just finished week #2 with my 6 speed m/t. Like some people have said, I wouldn't have it any other way. While I don't have the worst commute imaginable, I do live in SoCal and hit traffic regularly. It's not that big of a sacrifice for the fun of driving it on open roads.

Coming from a WRX, the clutch is super light weight and took some getting used to, but now that I've been driving it, it feels weird to get back in the WRX.

I don't even mind the auto start/stop feature because it only activates when putting the car in neutral and letting the clutch all the way out. I would like to disable the hill assist though if that were possible.

Unless you live in NY City or need xdrive, I would go for it if you want it.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 05:32 AM   #27
mfourn20
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarmOG View Post
I just finished week #2 with my 6 speed m/t. Like some people have said, I wouldn't have it any other way. While I don't have the worst commute imaginable, I do live in SoCal and hit traffic regularly. It's not that big of a sacrifice for the fun of driving it on open roads.

Coming from a WRX, the clutch is super light weight and took some getting used to, but now that I've been driving it, it feels weird to get back in the WRX.

I don't even mind the auto start/stop feature because it only activates when putting the car in neutral and letting the clutch all the way out. I would like to disable the hill assist though if that were possible.

Unless you live in NY City or need xdrive, I would go for it if you want it.
I lived in NYC before moving to RI and while I lived there I drove a manual Mazda3....it wasn't that bad...I also learned stick in that new Mazda3 driving home from the dealership in NJ through NYC out to Long Island during rush hour Surprisingly it went without any issues, and I got the basics down real quick...I guess I was forced to.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 09:13 AM   #28
XxDanoxX
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Does it not come down to what's faster, the response from an auto-box or your own ability to engage a clutch, shift and disengage?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 09:33 AM   #29
e90post_user
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

My AW M235i manual is currently disembarking the boat
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 10:19 AM   #30
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjposner View Post
Wow, nearly $49k for a 228i loaded. I paid a grand more for my 235i six speed, and the only thing I don't have is the cold weather and driver assist, lighting and alarm (but I do have the hk sound).
Not sure if you were looking at the screen grab I posted above, but that was the retail. Actually will pay $42 and change with all negotiations and incentives. I know some feel the 235 is the natural default once the price gets up there, but I actually don't want the feel of the weight up front, nor the care and feeding of a 6 anymore....partly philosophical, but I like the concept of smaller high output motors, and the 228i has plenty of performance....but I sure did layer on the extras and it does add up!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 11:01 AM   #31
bladeomatic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by one1er View Post
I had a huge self debate on what to go for, manual or auto and even started a few threads about it, like "have you regret your transmission choice"...

If you love manuals, the auto's (slim) advantages won't keep you happy for long...that's my opinion!
I think you get what makes you happy.

I'm an old racer and *love* a good stick. However I've got a bum left knee and live in LA with it's epic bumper-to-bumper traffic. This can kill my knee when it has to piston off/on the clutch pedal 100 times in 20 minutes. If my M235i were a weekend only car, I would have chosen MT, but I've got the AT for the sensibility of my daily drive.

That said, I'm extremely happy with the tranny. It's a great one and it gives me so much variety:

-Ignore it completely and simply zone out when I'm just droning through my morning commute. Left hand on wheel, right hand holding coffee mug.

-Tip the stick to the left when I want more spirited shifts for onramps and passing.

-Kick in to Sport+ and use the paddles when I want to hold shift points longer and bust through some back canyon roads.

It's not a MT, but you can ignore it at times OR switch to a fully engaging experience when desired. Plus the MPG and 0-60 advantages give me something to feel good about.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 11:23 AM   #32
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeomatic View Post

-Tip the stick to the left when I want more spirited shifts for onramps and passing.
I think we're on the same page. I've always enjoyed manual transmissions, but went with the (awesome) 8-speed automatic this time. Like you, my left knee protests.

Could you please provide more details regarding your tip on "stick left?" I know it's there, but have never used it. Just not sure what it really does. I have, however, used the paddle shifters on occasion.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 11:34 AM   #33
cloewe08
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i, 2003 MB S600 V12TT

I am glad I chose a manual. I can't wait for the car to come! I will post pictures when I get it. I also have a 1996 BMW 740IL that I drive occasionally which obviously has an auto, so I think I made the right choice by getting the manual
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 02:10 PM   #34
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeomatic View Post

I'm an old racer and *love* a good stick. However I've got a bum left knee and live in LA with it's epic bumper-to-bumper traffic. This can kill my knee when it has to piston off/on the clutch pedal 100 times in 20 minutes. If my M235i were a weekend only car, I would have chosen MT, but I've got the AT for the sensibility of my daily drive.

That said, I'm extremely happy with the tranny. It's a great one and it gives me so much variety:

-Ignore it completely and simply zone out when I'm just droning through my morning commute. Left hand on wheel, right hand holding coffee mug.

-Kick in to Sport+ and use the paddles when I want to hold shift points longer and bust through some back canyon roads.

It's not a MT, but you can ignore it at times OR switch to a fully engaging experience when desired. Plus the MPG and 0-60 advantages give me something to feel good about.
im not old but also live in LA.

I always think I want a manual, then I get stuck in some horrible jam on the 10/405 interchange. Or I am at some festival or giant event in LA (any sporting event, electric daisy carnival ANYTHING) and it just seems like it would be horrible. Then I think ok probably was good I got an automatic. Wish the 235i still came with the DCT like the 1series did, as i've heard it is a little more direct feeling, but the 8AT is a great auto (have it in my 328.... and it kills the 6AT in my last car)

honestly what would be great is if somehow we could get an DSG/SMG , with a clutch we can just use sometimes. like a button that says "hey you control the clutch time"
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 02:39 PM   #35
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
im not old but also live in LA.

I always think I want a manual, then I get stuck in some horrible jam on the 10/405 interchange. Or I am at some festival or giant event in LA (any sporting event, electric daisy carnival ANYTHING) and it just seems like it would be horrible. Then I think ok probably was good I got an automatic. Wish the 235i still came with the DCT like the 1series did, as i've heard it is a little more direct feeling, but the 8AT is a great auto (have it in my 328.... and it kills the 6AT in my last car)

honestly what would be great is if somehow we could get an DSG/SMG , with a clutch we can just use sometimes. like a button that says "hey you control the clutch time"

I think the rawness of the DCT is awesome and it's brutally quick, but I think the ZF programming may be better. The DCT can sometimes be unsure of what it wants to do and then does it like a kick in the ass. It is engaging though, for an automatic. With a manual, you can be sure it's doing what you want it to do.

Those of you who without long commutes in nasty traffic or have other cars to drive during the week or simply are young enough to still have plenty of juice between the joints of your left knee, enjoy your manuals. I'm only 32, but even I can't hang like that in LA traffic.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 02:47 PM   #36
kerm1t
Captain
Rep
Drives: 17 M3 ZCP Stage 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post

I think the rawness of the DCT is awesome and it's brutally quick, but I think the ZF programming may be better. The DCT can sometimes be unsure of what it wants to do and then does it like a kick in the ass. It is engaging though, for an automatic. With a manual, you can be sure it's doing what you want it to do.

Those of you who without long commutes in nasty traffic or have other cars to drive during the week or simply are young enough to still have plenty of juice between the joints of your left knee, enjoy your manuals. I'm only 32, but even I can't hang like that in LA traffic.
hmm thats very interesting. im in socal too and drive on 405-10 all the time. i don't mind the manual in traffic at all. feels very natural.

i didn't realize there were a lot more people with m235i in socal. so far I've only seen 1 white m235i besides mine. off topic but anyone on the west side of socal?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 03:23 PM   #37
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerm1t View Post
hmm thats very interesting. im in socal too and drive on 405-10 all the time. i don't mind the manual in traffic at all. feels very natural.

i didn't realize there were a lot more people with m235i in socal. so far I've only seen 1 white m235i besides mine. off topic but anyone on the west side of socal?
I live in the valley and I've seen three on the road so far - someone where I work has one, saw a BSM on the 5 and Estoril Blue somewhere around Panorama. I'm not taking delivery until October.

I suppose it depends which manual transmission is in question. Some are better than others, for sure. But either way, I remember a few times in my last car where my left leg was trembling under pressure from having to shift in traffic. At one point I had to actually use my right leg to push down the clutch pedal and coast on clutch modulation alone 'cause I simply could not do it any more. I was stuck on that stretch of the freeway for over 60 minutes, moved maybe 10 miles. This was on the way to the county fair, IIRC.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 07:18 PM   #38
bladeomatic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
I live in the valley and I've seen three on the road so far - someone where I work has one, saw a BSM on the 5 and Estoril Blue somewhere around Panorama.
I live/work in Burbank, but that Estoril Blue 235 could have been me tooling in Panorama City.

I've only seen 2 228i's in LA so far. And 1 Melbourne Red M235i.

The 235i sighting was funny because we were both near where the Tonight Show Studio was (On Olive in Burbank). We were both going opposite directions when we saw each other. We were so excited to see another 235i, that we both started honking and waving as we pulled away from each other. Must have looked like idiots to everyone else.

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 08:10 PM   #39
bladeomatic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
Could you please provide more details regarding your tip on "stick left?" I know it's there, but have never used it. Just not sure what it really does. I have, however, used the paddle shifters on occasion.
It's a little complex and as a new BMW owner I find it maddening that there isn't clear documentation re the exact behaviors that occur with the different shifter/driving modes

Here's my best understanding:

D: Drive
-Automatically shifts for you at conservative (lower rpm) shift points.
-Shifts are smooth.
-When in Drive like this, using the paddles will *temporarily* override with your up or downshift but after awhile (when your speed changes), the automatic will eventually regain control and put the transmission back into the proper gear for the given conditions.

M/S: Manual/Sport
-When you are in Drive, you can tilt the top of the shifter to the left towards "M/S", entering Manual/Sport transmission mode.
-If you are driving and do this, the transmission will generally drop you into a lower gear, and consequently raise the engine rpm. Great when you're on the freeway and want to quickly pass someone. Tip the shifter to the left, goose the throttle and the car can surge ahead pretty quickly.
-If you're driving around like this, you will notice the car shifts at higher rpm for a "sportier" experience. I *believe* the shifts also occur a bit faster and more aggressively in this setting, as you can really feel the shifter "thunk"on gear changes.
-One other fun side effect of having my shifter in the Sport setting, is that my M235i pops and burps from the tail pipes in a rather cool way when accelerating or decelerating. Especially when in "Sport +" driving mode.
-*IF* you are in M/S position AND you you pull either paddle or push the stick forward or backward, you will enter manual mode. The car will not automatically shift for you…at all. You are totally in charge using the shifters (push/pull) or the paddles.
-Once you've entered "Manual" as above, I don't believe you can go directly back to the "sport" setting. I believe you have to tip the shifter back to the right in "Drive" position. From there you can tip to the left again and get back into Sport.

This is my best understanding but others may have better info. Also note that this is all strictly related to the Automatic Transmission shifter and is not referencing the "Eco, Comfort, Sport and Sport+" driving modes. There's extensive confusion about exactly what those different modes do and whether they do/don't further affect the transmission modes above.

Here's a small video that may help as well:

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 10:03 PM   #40
CONTROL ONE
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

Ok, first off to end the debate - don't think, buy the manual.

Secondly, this is a bit of an odd question, but for the guys with the M Sport shift knob, how do you guys hold it while shifting?

I find myself having to grip it at odd angles sometimes depending on which gear I was going to/from and how quickly. It is much better than the stock shifter but at least there was only 1 definitive way to hold/shift it.

I find myself using the tips of my fingers and my thumb to shift more often than actually gripping it with my entire hand. With the stock shitfter, it was more of a grip position.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 10:37 PM   #41
cloewe08
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i, 2003 MB S600 V12TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CONTROL ONE View Post

Secondly, this is a bit of an odd question, but for the guys with the M Sport shift knob, how do you guys hold it while shifting?

I find myself having to grip it at odd angles sometimes depending on which gear I was going to/from and how quickly. It is much better than the stock shifter but at least there was only 1 definitive way to hold/shift it.

I find myself using the tips of my fingers and my thumb to shift more often than actually gripping it with my entire hand. With the stock shitfter, it was more of a grip position.

I really want to get that M-Sport shifter! Where did you order it from, how much was it and was it hard to install or did you have in installed? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 10:49 PM   #42
CONTROL ONE
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloewe08 View Post
I really want to get that M-Sport shifter! Where did you order it from, how much was it and was it hard to install or did you have in installed? Thanks
Brian Keller from Sun. Best price (and service) anywhere. Arrived next day.

On a DIY scale of 1 to 10, do not operate a vehicle if you can't figure this out.

Step 1: Pull up on old shifter (hard and straight up)

Step 2: Push down on new shifter.

It comes with the alcantara shift boot as well which just snaps in place in only 1 way.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 07:04 AM   #43
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxDanoxX View Post
Does it not come down to what's faster, the response from an auto-box or your own ability to engage a clutch, shift and disengage?
No, it does not. It is about which is more involving, engaging, and entertaining. Just pressing the pedal on the right with the ZF may be faster against a stopwatch, but it doesn't take any particular skill. Performing quick and smooth shifts up and down, even executing the foot-ballet of a double-clutch downshift, is far more rewarding than saving a few tenths on the way to the next red light.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 07:34 AM   #44
ManCityFan
Banned
Rep
Drives: Evo IX MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CONTROL ONE View Post

fingertips. seems fine to me? (btw m perf, not m sport)
Appreciate 0