THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum M235i vs s4/5

06-30-2014, 06:16 PM   #23
onatuesday
Captain
Rep
Drives: Hyundai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelwright View Post
Yes, I remember that one but it was for manual-equipped cars which are much slower in real-life. Still, despite this handicap 4.6secs for S5 is mighty impressive. Probably gearing and 4WD helped.
The engine is also very underrated (as are BMWs).

It was from Car and Driver btw: http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 07:16 PM   #24
wdlfbio
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 4S, 2015 3500 HD Dually,

Take home to the track and then compare lap times. Might end up becoming buddies with decent rides in common.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 07:42 PM   #25
onatuesday
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdlfbio View Post
Take home to the track and then compare lap times. Might end up becoming buddies with decent rides in common.
Yup used to have an e92. You ever go to PGP? Or do you venture out to the Ridge?

Last edited by onatuesday; 06-30-2014 at 10:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 10:31 PM   #26
wdlfbio
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 4S, 2015 3500 HD Dually,

Haven't hit a PGP track day yet (just helped with a Club car control clinic), but I have hit the ridge. Wonderful track. Might take the Zed out there next month.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 10:45 PM   #27
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Was at the ridge with a friend that went to a Metropolitan Detail track day... was pretty cool
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 09:55 AM   #28
Researcher
Private
Rep
Drives: MG M235i / C7 3LT Z51

All this talk about S4. Honestly they look like Volkswagens; Passat comes to mind.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 03:56 PM   #29
onatuesday
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tllucas View Post
All this talk about S4. Honestly they look like Volkswagens; Passat comes to mind.
I think there's a sale at Lenscrafters this weekend if you need new glasses:

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 09:39 AM   #30
Researcher
Private
Rep

Yep exactly like Volkswagen!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 02:02 PM   #31
Researcher
Private
Rep

A5/S5/RS5 are great looking Audis. A3/4 really more like Volkswagens with Audi tech and interior.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 07:02 PM   #32
deathsliver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinim3 View Post
The S5 V6T is slightly slower than a S4. Furthermore, the S5 with a V8 has even less performance - (only better sound)

Here are Motortrend's numbers (keep in mind same magazine - same test):
M235i
0-60: 4.4s
1/4: 13s@106.6mph
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...son/specs.html

S4
0-60: 4.4s
1/4: 13s@ 105.6mph
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...lac_specs.html

As you can see from above, objectively they are actually very evenly matched and any difference would likely come down to the driver.

Also keep in mind that the tuner market for the V6T is quite robust since it's been out for awhile. Therefore, you're likely to encounter a sleeper S4 with a tune.
a Revo tune for example (just a stage 1 with no boltons!) is putting down 370hp to the wheels and will hit 192mph.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo2-oyDcs8c

I'll leave out the subjective opinions such as for essentially the same price as a M235i (particularly if you buy slightly used) the S4 is more practical, looks classier, has a more luxurious interior (despite being 6yrs old) and is more prestigious. It also has an actual dual-clutch gearbox and women actually like being in it or being seen in it (if that matters to you), and it has the added benefit of being able to drive to the slopes during the winter.

But I realize that most on this forum will disagree with all of those subjective points as this is a M235i forum. So to each his own. If you disagree so be it, please don't let me rain on your parade.

One thing we can all agree on is that if having fun to you means going sideways and that's important to you, then the M235i is most definitely better in that regard.

Flame-suit on.
Not that I want to disagree but how exactly is an S4 more prestigious than an M235i? I don't get your reasoning. And why are you comparing practicality between a sedan and a coupe? Are you just trolling the BMW forum?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 08:21 PM   #33
onatuesday
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tllucas View Post
A5/S5/RS5 are great looking Audis. A3/4 really more like Volkswagens with Audi tech and interior.
Can't disagree with that. You are correct that they start off as the same basic car. But I don't think anyone confuses the S4 for a passat. A3 and jetta yes I can see that.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 08:44 PM   #34
onatuesday
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathsliver View Post
Not that I want to disagree but how exactly is an S4 more prestigious than an M235i? I don't get your reasoning. And why are you comparing practicality between a sedan and a coupe? Are you just trolling the BMW forum?
Hey every forums needs its fair share of trolls, right?!

Ha but all kidding a side I hang out on the BMW forums (as well as other brands) because I've owned an e46 and an e92 M3 and I have a M4 currently being transported on a ship from Germany as we speak . So I'd say I'm fairly unbiased. I was looking at the M235i in March when it came out but just wasn't my cup of tea after test driving and although it looks good from the front, the rear leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion. It's a good car though and no knocks against anyone who buys one.

I also would like to point out that I didn't start the thread...I just merely pointed on some objective performance data about the S4 vs. the subjective quotes from other members. And yes I did also point out some subjective things about the S4/S5 vs the M235i which I openly acknowledged some (particularly in this forum) will disagree with. If you think the M235i is as prestigious/practical as a S4/S5, then hey who I am to convince you otherwise!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 10:02 PM   #35
deathsliver
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Ha but all kidding a side I hang out on the BMW forums (as well as other brands) because I've owned an e46 and an e92 M3 and I have a M4 currently being transported on a ship from Germany as we speak . So I'd say I'm fairly unbiased. I was looking at the M235i in March when it came out but just wasn't my cup of tea after test driving and although it looks good from the front, the rear leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion. It's a good car though and no knocks against anyone who buys one.

I also would like to point out that I didn't start the thread...I just merely pointed on some objective performance data about the S4 vs. the subjective quotes from other members. And yes I did also point out some subjective things about the S4/S5 vs the M235i which I openly acknowledged some (particularly in this forum) will disagree with. If you think the M235i is as prestigious/practical as a S4/S5, then hey who I am to convince you otherwise!
You did not answer my questions.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 10:12 PM   #36
deathsliver
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

It is also comical that you first compare a coupe to a sedan then mention you test drove a M235i and went for an M4 because it's not your cup of tea. It's like saying yeah, the S4 is nice, not my cup of tea, but I have an RS8 on the way....
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 12:06 AM   #37
onatuesday
Captain
Rep

Quote:
It is also comical that you first compare a coupe to a sedan then mention you test drove a M235i and went for an M4 because it's not your cup of tea. It's like saying yeah, the S4 is nice, not my cup of tea, but I have an RS8 on the way....
What's comical is that you haven't made any arguments against any of my points? Or are you going to stick with your original statement which sounds very much like a fanboy statement and doesn't give you any credibility whatsoever to anyone who is an actual car enthusiast.

Quote:
I test drove a 2014 S5 the same day I bought the M235i.
In my opinion, it's not even close.
The S5 feels like a boat.
What's also comical is that I was trying to be the bigger man and leave your "trolling" remarks alone so I wouldn't have to offend you but looks like you're asking for it, so I'll oblige even though I know I'm wasting my time arguing subjective matters with you. Funny how you call me a troll yet you sure like to feed me.

So here goes my responses to all your questions:

1) "how exactly is an S4 more prestigious than an M235i"

The S4/S5s have been out for a long time now and have earned quite the nameplate in the market. Even the average person knows what they signify and many have a lot of respect for them (even if you don't). Most people have never heard of a M235i and the few that have are struggling to understand why BMW named it the 'M' - 235i. You probably spend a lot of time explaining why your car is adorned with 16 M badges even though it's not a real M car. BMW could have saved you from being so defensive by simply naming it a 235i or 235iS which is what it is. I've spent a lot of time at various BMW dealerships in the past few months as I've been hustling trying to get one of the first M4s and trying to figure out what options/colors I wanted. Every time I've been to a dealer and there was a M235i whenever a guy went over to look at it, his woman always appeared very disinterested. My friend's gf hates it. My girlfriend at the time hated it. They'd much rather have a 3 or 4 series.

2.) "why are you comparing practicality between a sedan and a coupe?"

Isn't it amazing that a sedan has the same performance as a coupe? If you didn't think it was a fair comparison to compare a sedan to a coupe then why didn't you say so when the OP started the thread. It's not like the M235i (a coupe) looks any better than the S4 which would be the main reason to get a coupe. As long as it has 4 seats, coupe or sedan I could care less. Also this thread was about both the S4 and the S5 (a coupe).

3) "you first compare a coupe to a sedan then mention you test drove a M235i and went for an M4 because it's not your cup of tea. It's like saying yeah, the S4 is nice, not my cup of tea, but I have an RS8 on the way...."

Not sure what point you're trying to make here? I actually had my deposit on the M4 since January. A buddy of mine had his deposit on a M235i and when it came in March, I went with him to check it out. I was getting anxious waiting for the M4 and I thought hmmm maybe if the M235i really amazes me I can get that and wait for the 1st year M4 kinks to get worked out.
Well both my friend and I (and the guy before us) test drove the m235i and none of us were overly impressed. Good car but given the hype on this forum I probably had too high of expectations and forgot that it wasn't a real M car (no offense). Also couldn't get over paying $50k for that interior (or exterior). Directly after that my friend and I went to Audi (after my friend got his deposit from BMW back) and we test drove one of the rare manual S5s in the country. Needless to say, we were both super impressed. The salesman also offered me a drive in the RS5 and I begrudingly took him up on the offer even though I had no intention of getting one. Well after test driving 2 of his RS5s, I was sold. I had to have it. So I traded in my S4 and got the RS5 even though I had the M4 coming in a few months - which makes no financial sense whatsoever but YOLO. Since the RS5 is limited production, I'll probably keep it and lease the M4 as my second car when I get in a month or so (though having driven one already and was also NOT that impressed). And btw I also drove a V8 R8 for a few weeks too last year if that's what you mean by RS8 - I'll assume you're not that ignorant.

So there happy that I've answered your questions now?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 06:30 AM   #38
deathsliver
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
What's comical is that you haven't made any arguments against any of my points? Or are you going to stick with your original statement which sounds very much like a fanboy statement and doesn't give you any credibility whatsoever to anyone who is an actual car enthusiast.

What's also comical is that I was trying to be the bigger man and leave your "trolling" remarks alone so I wouldn't have to offend you but looks like you're asking for it, so I'll oblige even though I know I'm wasting my time arguing subjective matters with you. Funny how you call me a troll yet you sure like to feed me.

So here goes my responses to all your questions:

1) "how exactly is an S4 more prestigious than an M235i"

The S4/S5s have been out for a long time now and have earned quite the nameplate in the market. Even the average person knows what they signify and many have a lot of respect for them (even if you don't). Most people have never heard of a M235i and the few that have are struggling to understand why BMW named it the 'M' - 235i. You probably spend a lot of time explaining why your car is adorned with 16 M badges even though it's not a real M car. BMW could have saved you from being so defensive by simply naming it a 235i or 235iS which is what it is. I've spent a lot of time at various BMW dealerships in the past few months as I've been hustling trying to get one of the first M4s and trying to figure out what options/colors I wanted. Every time I've been to a dealer and there was a M235i whenever a guy went over to look at it, his woman always appeared very disinterested. My friend's gf hates it. My girlfriend at the time hated it. They'd much rather have a 3 or 4 series.

2.) "why are you comparing practicality between a sedan and a coupe?"

Isn't it amazing that a sedan has the same performance as a coupe? If you didn't think it was a fair comparison to compare a sedan to a coupe then why didn't you say so when the OP started the thread. It's not like the M235i (a coupe) looks any better than the S4 which would be the main reason to get a coupe. As long as it has 4 seats, coupe or sedan I could care less. Also this thread was about both the S4 and the S5 (a coupe).

3) "you first compare a coupe to a sedan then mention you test drove a M235i and went for an M4 because it's not your cup of tea. It's like saying yeah, the S4 is nice, not my cup of tea, but I have an RS8 on the way...."

Not sure what point you're trying to make here? I actually had my deposit on the M4 since January. A buddy of mine had his deposit on a M235i and when it came in March, I went with him to check it out. I was getting anxious waiting for the M4 and I thought hmmm maybe if the M235i really amazes me I can get that and wait for the 1st year M4 kinks to get worked out.
Well both my friend and I (and the guy before us) test drove the m235i and none of us were overly impressed. Good car but given the hype on this forum I probably had too high of expectations and forgot that it wasn't a real M car (no offense). Also couldn't get over paying $50k for that interior (or exterior). Directly after that my friend and I went to Audi (after my friend got his deposit from BMW back) and we test drove one of the rare manual S5s in the country. Needless to say, we were both super impressed. The salesman also offered me a drive in the RS5 and I begrudingly took him up on the offer even though I had no intention of getting one. Well after test driving 2 of his RS5s, I was sold. I had to have it. So I traded in my S4 and got the RS5 even though I had the M4 coming in a few months - which makes no financial sense whatsoever but YOLO. Since the RS5 is limited production, I'll probably keep it and lease the M4 as my second car when I get in a month or so (though having driven one already and was also NOT that impressed). And btw I also drove a V8 R8 for a few weeks too last year if that's what you mean by RS8 - I'll assume you're not that ignorant.

So there happy that I've answered your questions now?
LOL. Yeah, you did. This does not make you sound any less like an Audi fanboy though. Anyway, you should really not waste your time with me. Seems like you are compulsive/impulsive about buying cars. Run out and buy another one. Please feel free to post pics of your next Audi on the 2-series forum if you wish.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 06:34 AM   #39
onatuesday
Captain
Rep

Quote:
LOL. Yeah, you did. You should really not waste your time with me. Seems like you are compulsive/impulsive about buying car. Run out and buy another one.
indeed. Don't break my impression that every Canadian is nice!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 06:55 AM   #40
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Damn...lot of bickering here. Rock on guys....

I know the 235 is not a true M but it is as close financially I can get with a good warranty. It will be all i need

S5, R8, M4........ I am a bit jealous, you one lucky man
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 06:57 AM   #41
GFK007
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 m235i

Was washing my m235i last night (which I bought over an s4 because I wasn't enamored with the S4 styling, its steering or it's lease rate), the kid in the s4 drives past my house and downshifts and blatantly looks at me.

I shook my head in disgust and went back about my business.

I should mention that he has painted the rims gloss black as well as tinted his tail lights. Total poser if you ask me.

(gone but not forgotten) 2011 e90 M Sport - M-Tech Carbon Diffuser, OEM Carbon Trunk Spoiler, 20% tint, black reflectors, black OEM grille, LUX white Angel Eyes.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 07:42 AM   #42
onatuesday
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFK007 View Post
Was washing my m235i last night (which I bought over an s4 because I wasn't enamored with the S4 styling, its steering or it's lease rate), the kid in the s4 drives past my house and downshifts and blatantly looks at me.

I shook my head in disgust and went back about my business.

I should mention that he has painted the rims gloss black as well as tinted his tail lights. Total poser if you ask me.
Yeah the S4 kid sounds like a chump. Seems eager to prove himself. Just ignore him or invite him to a track day and put him in his place.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 09:56 AM   #43
Wheelwright
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i (6MT fakerich edition)

Some S4 drivers are really good. Below is one of my favourite POV videos ever: the guy perfectly matches downshifts and does lightning quick diagonal shifts (from 2nd to 3rd). Two skills which still elude me in my M235i. Setting aside silly BMW- Audi rivalry it is driver's skill that matters:

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 05:45 PM   #44
NYHoustonman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Dinan S3

Audi vs. BMW (RS4, R8 aside) always boils down to this: like heavy, understeering pigs with lifeless steering, no adjustability, but tons of grip and straight-line speed? Buy the Audi. Like driver involvement, and a lighter, more sports car-esque feel, perhaps sacrificing in straight line speed? You'd better be buying the BMW (or a Porsche, if you have the money ).

As for trinim3, I guess he falls into the former category, which is okay. He's a badge snob, too, which isn't okay to me, but to each their own...

...And apparently he hangs out with women who like understeering pigs .
Appreciate 0