THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Best drive mode settings for the track?

08-02-2023, 10:40 PM   #1
italia366
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M240i xDrive

Question Best drive mode settings for the track?

Hello everyone!

I just got back from my second track event with my 2020 bmw m240i xdrive (4th event overall) and I had a blast. However, I've run into a question about drive modes that I can't figure out.

For reference, my car has 4 drive modes
Eco pro
Comfort
Sport
Sport+ (which turns DSC off and DTC on)

I did my last two events with the car in Sport and with the gear selector set to M/S (which after doing some research, I THINK is redundant). But, I keep running into this issue when I am really pushing the car where it feels like the traction/stability control kicks in really often, kills my power and really bogs down the car.

My club has a rule that beginner and intermediate drives (I am currently in intermediate) have to keep traction control on, which I am totally fine with - im willing to sacrifice some speed to remain safe. However, the amount my car kills the power is really making it hard to track out of turns.

Basically, my question is: for those of you who track your f22 m240is (or similar cars), what mode do you use? Also, would the car being in sport+ still meet my club's rule of having traction control on? My main concern about using sport+ is that the DTC won't be protective enough and I'll have to worry about spinning. I've never used it before though, so I don't know what DTC feels like compared to DSC. So, I'm just curious what settings you guys use?

Another thing - I assume if I put my car in Sport I can leave it in D and not put it in M/S? The sport mode on my car effects chassis and drivetrain, so as far as I can tell and from the research I have done, it is redundant

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2023, 11:40 PM   #2
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Because there were no rules constraining the mode I used, I generally used DSC OFF. In Sport+, the car would reduce power for an instant when tracking-out in one turn at Mid-Ohio.

That wasn't a significant issue, and for me Sport+ had one advantage over DSC OFF: it left rev-matching in effect, whereas that was eliminated in DSC OFF.

My strong preference was for DSC OFF, but my M240i was hopeless when it came to heel-and-toe downshifting (the height difference between the two pedals was such that I never came close to making it work; that after rev-matching had never been an issue in all the other BMWs I'd taken to or driven at the track).

As for modes and what they do, this might help:

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2023, 10:34 AM   #3
Ajowhan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m240i 'vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by italia366 View Post
Hello everyone!

I just got back from my second track event with my 2020 bmw m240i xdrive (4th event overall) and I had a blast. However, I've run into a question about drive modes that I can't figure out.

For reference, my car has 4 drive modes
Eco pro
Comfort
Sport
Sport+ (which turns DSC off and DTC on)

I did my last two events with the car in Sport and with the gear selector set to M/S (which after doing some research, I THINK is redundant). But, I keep running into this issue when I am really pushing the car where it feels like the traction/stability control kicks in really often, kills my power and really bogs down the car.

My club has a rule that beginner and intermediate drives (I am currently in intermediate) have to keep traction control on, which I am totally fine with - im willing to sacrifice some speed to remain safe. However, the amount my car kills the power is really making it hard to track out of turns.

Basically, my question is: for those of you who track your f22 m240is (or similar cars), what mode do you use? Also, would the car being in sport+ still meet my club's rule of having traction control on? My main concern about using sport+ is that the DTC won't be protective enough and I'll have to worry about spinning. I've never used it before though, so I don't know what DTC feels like compared to DSC. So, I'm just curious what settings you guys use?

Another thing - I assume if I put my car in Sport I can leave it in D and not put it in M/S? The sport mode on my car effects chassis and drivetrain, so as far as I can tell and from the research I have done, it is redundant

Thanks!
If you are just driving on the street, if you put it in M/S, the gear will shift down earlier and shift up later than if you put it in D. I would think that you should too in track so that the car will keep you at a lower gear, higher rev, more power when you are trying to track it out of turn.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2023, 02:17 PM   #4
Dom147
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 228i, 2017 BMW M240i

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
From what I've read, Most if not all of the track guys here on 2addicts seem to be in DSC off on the track. I, personally, am not the best so I stay on sport chassis only. Once I improve I'll likely go on TRACTION then once fully comfortable I'll go to DSC off but I'm not quite there yet. The reason I stay on sport chassis only is because the shift in throttle sensitivity changing is likely to cause you to mess up. I also drive with the gear selector to the left in S. What Dradernh sent is great info but I know there's more to that chart. Let me try to send it if I can figure out how.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2023, 02:20 PM   #5
Dom147
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 228i, 2017 BMW M240i

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
I got this from cxp213 in https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1429616
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2023, 10:23 PM   #6
italia366
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom147 View Post
From what I've read, Most if not all of the track guys here on 2addicts seem to be in DSC off on the track. I, personally, am not the best so I stay on sport chassis only. Once I improve I'll likely go on TRACTION then once fully comfortable I'll go to DSC off but I'm not quite there yet. The reason I stay on sport chassis only is because the shift in throttle sensitivity changing is likely to cause you to mess up. I also drive with the gear selector to the left in S. What Dradernh sent is great info but I know there's more to that chart. Let me try to send it if I can figure out how.
Yeah my club has a rule that we have to keep traction control on. Right now I drive the car in Sport mode, but I've had this issue with the stability control being SUPER sensitive and cutting my power at the worst times. I'd like to try sport+ (which turns DSC off and DTC on) but I'm nervous about if the nannies are enough to help prevent me from spinning. I want good lap times, but I prefer to obv be safe even more
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2023, 11:09 PM   #7
Kernel Kurtz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i xDrive

DSC is super sensitive and not tolerant of hooning at all. DTC lets you have a lot more fun while still having a bit of a safety net. It will still shut you down if you get too out of line.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2023, 07:54 AM   #8
GoldfishRT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 228i M-Sport

I find these cars to be very safe at the limit overall. Off-street I turn everything off. Super interesting your club requires traction assists on. I feel that almost defeats the point...
      08-04-2023, 01:11 PM   #9
italia366
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernel Kurtz View Post
DSC is super sensitive and not tolerant of hooning at all. DTC lets you have a lot more fun while still having a bit of a safety net. It will still shut you down if you get too out of line.
The DSC being so sensitive is annoying to be honest. Like of course I want to be safe, but it feels like when I'm trying to power out of a turn to get a pass on someone, I can feel the car literally big down. It's the only thing about the car I really dislike. It sounds like sport+ could help with this, but I just wanna make sure I'm still gonna be safe.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2023, 01:18 PM   #10
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

A good way to find out how the drive modes behave is in the winter time on low friction surfaces.

or so I'm told
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2023, 03:12 PM   #11
Kernel Kurtz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakystyly View Post
A good way to find out how the drive modes behave is in the winter time on low friction surfaces.
Good advice. In the summer on the street I'm fine with the DSC, I'm not looking to push the limits even in spirited driving. In the winter however, on snowy streets, a little bit of controlled sliding is fun, and DTC lets you do that while still catching you if you get too out of shape. DSC won't let you do controlled slides at all. For the OP if your club requires some nannies to be active for AutoX or track, use DTC, not DSC.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2023, 04:15 PM   #12
ggggbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Manual

I used Sport, in Chassis only mode, for years doing HPDE's. And I still use it for wet days.

I know it's heresy to some, but I think Sport (chassis) is a great way to learn how to control the car. Yes, it absolutely will pull throttle if you accelerate too hard out of a corner. BUT, I would argue that is a good thing. Learn to apply the throttle smoothly to maximize acceleration without getting the blinky stability light on the dash. It will force you to become smoother and teaches you good habits. Once you can consistently hustle around the track with minimal DSC interference, only then should you start turning DSC off.

I really detest the throttle mapping of Sport+ or Sport in Drivetrain mode. Makes it really hard to modulate the throttle. The overactive throttle mapping in Sport+ or Sport Drivetrain will exacerbate any issues you have controlling throttle on corner exit, and cause more DSC activation.

I usually run in DTC mode. It allows plenty of controlled throttle oversteer, but still has your back if you completely lose it.

I've been running DSC Off also, and frankly, I'm really not noticing any difference between DTC and DSC Off modes. I'm sure a better driver might feel a difference, but only at the very ragged edge. Since I want to drive my car home again, I'm usually just a bit off that.

As for the gearbox, there is a difference between 'Sport' mode and having the gearshift in 'M/S' mode. If you are in Sport Drivetrain, there is a change in transmission mapping. But it is more pronounced if the lever is flipped left into 'M/S'. And if you are running in Sport Chassis (which I strongly suggest), then the 'M/S' mode makes a big difference. But it really only has an impact in Auto mode.

The main reason to flip left into 'M/S' mode is to put the transmission in full manual mode and use the flappy shift levers on the steering wheel. You REALLY want to be in full manual mode and controlling all of your shift points. The ZF8 shifts fast enough that it can unsettle the car if it occurs when you aren't expecting it. And knowing exactly what gear you are in is critical to controlling corner exit acceleration.
Appreciate 0