THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Tired of Bouncy Suspension

04-27-2018, 03:08 PM   #1
englishguy84
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 230i M-Sport

Tired of Bouncy Suspension

Love my 230i M Sport overall—which I chose over the base model for the tighter feel, steering wheel and slightly more connected steering—but I’m getting tired of the bouncy suspension. I’m on conventional tires, which helps some, but the car just feels under-damped. I’ve driven 230i m sport convertibles that felt much better damped, as well as M Sport 430is. This seems to be an issue with the 330i m sport and the 230i. What are my options? Are there parts from the 230i M Sport Vert I can swap in to my car?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 03:23 PM   #2
3rdcoast228i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i Msport

Do you have the track handling pack?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 03:30 PM   #3
englishguy84
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdcoast228i View Post
Do you have the track handling pack?
No, static 704 suspension. I noticed it on the test drive but thought it'd be more livable in the long run, especially after I swapped tires. And to be fair, it has been livable - I've had the car for over a year - I just think it could be better. Driving a 230i vert with a static sport suspension was an eye-opener.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 03:39 PM   #4
jase2addict
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2Comp

Im in the same boat as you. I have the dinan springs which are okay but I wish I went straight to coil-overs with adjustable dampening.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 03:43 PM   #5
englishguy84
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jase2addict View Post
Im in the same boat as you. I have the dinan springs which are okay but I wish I went straight to coil-overs with adjustable dampening.
Yeah, it feels like there's too much spring and too little damping. I think stiffer springs might help a bit, but I'm thinking just doing the springs won't fix everything.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 03:56 PM   #6
3rdcoast228i
Captain
Rep

Interesting, I don't have bounce on my 228i standard M-sport suspension. Wonder if they changed something on the 230i? Or maybe you just have a bad shock?

Also the convertible weighs considerably more than the coupe. I can see how that would effect the ride. I will say that my car rides smoother with a couple of cases of water and groceries in the trunk.
Appreciate 1
BarryJI423.50
      04-27-2018, 04:22 PM   #7
englishguy84
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Interesting, I don't have bounce on my 228i standard M-sport suspension. Wonder if they changed something on the 230i? Or maybe you just have a bad shock?

Also the convertible weighs considerably more than the coupe. I can see how that would effect the ride. I will say that my car rides smoother with a couple of cases of water and groceries in the trunk.
Interesting. My suspension is very "nervous" in a way that I haven't found the earlier gens of BMWs (E46, E90) that I've driven to be, adjusting for differences in tires. It takes two or three bounces for a road imperfection to pass through the car, so to speak, whereas the convertible soaks them up in a single jolt with no aftershocks.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2018, 09:50 AM   #8
3rdcoast228i
Captain
Rep

Saying it's "nervous" really makes me think you have a bad shock or something else going on. Ask the dealership to check it out.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2018, 10:08 AM   #9
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishguy84 View Post
Interesting. My suspension is very "nervous" in a way that I haven't found the earlier gens of BMWs (E46, E90) that I've driven to be, adjusting for differences in tires. It takes two or three bounces for a road imperfection to pass through the car, so to speak, whereas the convertible soaks them up in a single jolt with no aftershocks.
Quote:
Saying it's "nervous" really makes me think you have a bad shock or something else going on. Ask the dealership to check it out.
I don't have the fixed suspension, so my comments are a bit removed, but I think 3rdcoast has a point. Your "two or three bounces" comment got my attention. I recall many decades ago (the 70s...yikes!) first learning one way to diagnose a worn/damaged shock was to repeatedly push down on a fender at each corner to set the car in motion and then stop, step back and quickly watch. If the car took more than one motion to stop moving up and down, the shock was considered suspect. Not certain if what I learned on a '69 Impala would still apply, but it might be an interesting exercise to try the four corners and look for differences.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner

Last edited by Sportstick; 04-29-2018 at 06:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2018, 05:12 PM   #10
englishguy84
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
I don't have the fixed suspension, so my comments are a bit removed, but I think 3rdcoast has a point. Your "two or three bonces" comment got my attention. I recall many decades ago (the 70s...yikes!) first learning one way to diagnose a worn/damaged shock was to repeatedly push down on a fender at each corner to set the car in motion and then stop, step back and quickly watch. If the car took more than one motion to stop moving up and down, the shock was considered suspect. Not certain if what I learned on a '69 Impala would still apply, but it might be an interesting exercise to try the four corners and look for differences.
Thanks, guys. I'll try this test and think about bringing it into the dealer. It's hard for me to tell if the car has always been this way, because I had it on RFTs for the first 15k, and those were definitely harsher. I don't notice the bone-jarring thunks over unavoidable potholes or uneven pavement so much, but I do notice that on a stretch of less than perfect surface streets at normal speeds (25-30 mph), I can feel the imperfections passing through the car with these "tremors" I'm trying to describe. It's like a ::jitter-jitter-jitter:: [pause] ::jitter-jitter-jitter::. Nothing very "sporty" about it compared to, say, an E90 suspension or an ATS suspension, where you feel a single harsh impact but it's a one-and-done deal. I'm on DWS06s.
Appreciate 0