THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning GSR Technik N20/N26/N55 Tune Group Buy

05-19-2015, 02:05 AM   #1
GSR Technik
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6 | E92 M3 | '15 Mustang

GSR Technik N20/N26/N55 Tune Group Buy

Looks like we have achieved our minimum targets for our Bimmerpost member group buy. Here's the official pricing.

Pricing honored through the end of May:

N20/N26
Stage 1
Retail $999 - Bimmerpost Group Buy $699

Stage 2
Retail $1,299 - Bimmerpost Group Buy $999

N55
Stage 1
Retail $1,299 - Bimmerpost Group Buy $799

Stage 2
Retail $1,699 - Bimmerpost Group Buy $1,199

Does not include labor if GSR is removing/installing ECU. If you are interested but can't pull the trigger now you can put down a 50% deposit before June 1 and secure the group buy pricing.

Thanks all for reaching out to show level of interest. To confirm your intent to purchase please PM your car details, stage and email so we can follow up with you to answer any final questions and get payment information. If you wish to upgrade from Stage 1 to Stage 2 in the future you just pay the difference based on the above pricing.

PLEASE NOTE: For those N20/N26 auto cars, there is a current torque limit at or about 350 wtq. Typically cars with DP and 93 can exceed this on our Stage 2 tune. We are working to find the limit within the code but have yet to identify how the torque limit is implemented. We recommend N20/N26 auto customers who run on 93 to stick with Stage 1 until we have resolution of the torque limit. There is no such limit on manual cars.

Thanks again for the community support.

Nick...
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2015, 08:58 AM   #2
e46m3to335i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Any details on what parameters you guys can modify? Speed delimiter possible? Any future plans to crack the TCU or offer a remote flash?

Nick
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 09:12 AM   #3
alz0rz
What goes here?
Rep
Drives: 2019 G30 M550i

Garage List
N55 M235i Stage 2 power comparisons?
CEL delete for cat deletes?
All sales final? (thinking about Dinan's 3 day return period if unhappy with results)

GBNF:
2021 G80 M3, 2019 F90 M5 Competition, 2016 F80 M3, 2014 F22 M235i
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 12:43 PM   #4
GSR Technik
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46m3to335i View Post
Any details on what parameters you guys can modify? Speed delimiter possible? Any future plans to crack the TCU or offer a remote flash?

Nick
We are setting up dealers that are willing to invest in the equipment so we can load remotely. Forward possible interested dealers to us. We eliminate the speed limiter as part of all tunes. There are other options, I will get a list up shortly. The current challenge is the security - have to open up the ECU to put it in boot mode.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 01:38 PM   #5
Silvermike
Second Lieutenant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW M220i 6MT

Garage List
2015 M220  [9.50]
any info on the boost targets for a stage 2 x20i tune?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 02:10 AM   #6
GSR Technik
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermike View Post
any info on the boost targets for a stage 2 x20i tune?
Sorry we don't. We've not been able to track down a 320i who wants to do Stage 2 our here. They aren't very common out here. We are actively looking for one.

Nick...
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 05:32 PM   #7
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR Autosport View Post
Looks like we have achieved our minimum targets for our Bimmerpost member group buy. Here's the official pricing.

Pricing honored through the end of May:

N20/N26
Stage 1
Retail $999 - Bimmerpost Group Buy $699

Stage 2
Retail $1,299 - Bimmerpost Group Buy $999

N55
Stage 1
Retail $1,299 - Bimmerpost Group Buy $799

Stage 2
Retail $1,699 - Bimmerpost Group Buy $1,199

Does not include labor if GSR is removing/installing ECU. If you are interested but can't pull the trigger now you can put down a 50% deposit before June 1 and secure the group buy pricing.

Thanks all for reaching out to show level of interest. To confirm your intent to purchase please PM your car details, stage and email so we can follow up with you to answer any final questions and get payment information. If you wish to upgrade from Stage 1 to Stage 2 in the future you just pay the difference based on the above pricing.

PLEASE NOTE: For those N20/N26 auto cars, there is a current torque limit at or about 350 wtq. Typically cars with DP and 93 can exceed this on our Stage 2 tune. We are working to find the limit within the code but have yet to identify how the torque limit is implemented. We recommend N20/N26 auto customers who run on 93 to stick with Stage 1 until we have resolution of the torque limit. There is no such limit on manual cars.

Thanks again for the community support.

Nick...
Approx what is the labor charge for GSR to do the R&R on the above?

thanks
      05-22-2015, 05:34 PM   #8
GSR Technik
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalDave View Post
Approx what is the labor charge for GSR to do the R&R on the above?

thanks
$60 for N20/N26
$120 for N55
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 05:37 PM   #9
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR Autosport View Post
$60 for N20/N26
$120 for N55
Thanks!
      05-23-2015, 01:16 AM   #10
WhollySmokes
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i 6MT

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
Thanks for posting this. I'm certainly interested, but do you have any more information about the product? Expected hp/tq increases, suggested/necessary supporting modifications, and other pertinent information are all welcome.

I know some of this information may be spread across some other threads, but it would be helpful to consolidate that information here.
      05-23-2015, 11:06 AM   #11
Turbo_435i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Fire Spittin 435i

1.whats the difference between your tune and jb4 ?

2.seems like a lot of money for just a re-flashed existing ecu ?

3.do you alter the ecu other than the program/software...meaning....do you alter the actual hardware at all ??

4.what guarantee do you have that it is safe for the motor / electronics ?

5.what parameters are changed with the tune ? fuel,boost,timing, etc ?

6.where is the ecu located ?

7. if ecu is removed, and sent out for reflash, does any part of the computer, car etc get affected by the ecu being out of the car for xx number of days ?

8. is your tune, plug and play, and comes with SET parameters, all equal ? no adjustment, similar to jb4 diff maps etc ? not saying its bad, just asking.

9. if your tune is installed on stock car, and then other performance parts added after, will the tune adjust accordingly ?

10. has the tune been tested, and fuel ratios good , no detonation ?

11. seems like a ton of power compared to other tunes, why ?

12. does the auto transmission handle this amount of added power without slipping ?

sorry for soo many questions, but i like to be proactive vs reactive.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 02:30 AM   #12
GSR Technik
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by schybrid View Post

3.do you alter the ecu other than the program/software...meaning....do you alter the actual hardware at all ??

7. if ecu is removed, and sent out for reflash, does any part of the computer, car etc get affected by the ecu being out of the car for xx number of days ?

8. is your tune, plug and play, and comes with SET parameters, all equal ? no adjustment, similar to jb4 diff maps etc ? not saying its bad, just asking.

9. if your tune is installed on stock car, and then other performance parts added after, will the tune adjust accordingly ?

12. does the auto transmission handle this amount of added power without slipping ?

sorry for soo many questions, but i like to be proactive vs reactive.

Piggyback systems intercept ECU signals and alter them to trick the embedded systems to change input variables such as boost. There are limitations of what this technology can do given what can effectively be intercepted and the complexities of the adaptive capabilities of modern ECUs. This makes the JB4 technology inconsistent, especially at the higher limits. The technology also cannot take advantage of all the safeguards already built into the ECU. On the plus side they have processing capabilities of their own to control things like fuel scaling for running ethanol blends and controlling meth systems. We have been testing running JB4s on top of our tunes so you can get the best of both worlds.

ECU based tuning is technically far more effective because you have direct control over the ECU and can leverage all the safeguards already built into the embedded software/hardware. For example, within the ECU, we don’t just program in more boost, we ask the ECU for more torque and it processes how to achieve that level of torque – if any of the safety parameters respond back saying there is a critical variable that is over the limit the ECU will not deliver the torque asked for. You may have read the 228 auto cars that have a torque limit that has been reported as misfires under load. This is a torque limit in the code that is triggered that actually starts to electronically close the throttle to reduce torque. It feels like misfires but it’s just the ECU doing what it is supposed to do.

This is a software business so all the expense is R&D and dyno time – walking through binary code, knowing what you are looking at and changing a bunch of 1’s and 0’s to achieve the desired result. We do this all in-house. The majority of “tuners” out there are simply buying files or stealing files by copying them out of an ECU that another tuner loaded. They have limited knowledge of what the binary changes actually do. We typically see about 30 variables changed in competitors flash tune products. In our latest N55 tune we change 130 variables. I know because you receive a physical product with a piggyback system it seems like there is more inherent value but that’s not really the value – it’s the performance or features that you get that is the true value.

With JB4 you get an OK tune for pretty cheap with some really cool extra features like map switching for ethanol blends and meth injection control. With the Dinan you get a conservative tune for a LOT of money and a secondary insurance policy for piece of mind. With our product you get arguably one of the best tunes in the industry for the price between the JB4 and Dinan.

We do not alter hardware. We also don’t drill the ECUs like some tuners do so when you get your ECU back is looks exactly the way it looked when it was sent to us. Opening the N20/N26 and N63 ECUs is incredibly difficult – takes about an hour and specialty tools to do it right. No shortcuts for us.

We do our best based on our years of experience to gauge what is appropriate for the various cars we tune. Nothing is 100% and there are a lot of variables that typically contribute to failures. We guarantee that our products will deliver on what we promise but we cannot warranty failures else we would have to be charging way more to cover the secondary insurance policy similar to what Dinan has done.

We also run pro level road racing programs where we actually do failure testing. Specifically we know there are limits to the N20/N26 motors and we are building a race program for the Pirelli World Challenge series around the 228i so you will hear about our engine testing for that program in the not to distant future. I don’t think you will find many other tuners that are willing to sacrifice an $11,000 motor to better understand it’s weaknesses.

We are typically dealing with torque, fuel, timing, A/F and VANOS. We don’t typically override and control boost directly because that starts to override the built in safety features. There are a bunch of other variables we change that make everything work in harmony so you don’t get random errors that would otherwise be generated. The first sign of a bad flash tune is one that is constantly generating “Drivetrain malfunction” errors. They haven’t figured out all the small adjustments that need to be made to support the primary changes.

On the N55 it is built into the underside of the airbox. Not exactly easy to get out but we will be posting a how to video in the next few days.

No, after you disconnect the battery it just sees it as a power lose.

No, the nature of the flash tune is that it is what it is. There is no manual adjustability. For those customers looking for something specific we have standard options they can ask for like eliminating the top speed limiter, or keeping the exhaust flappers open all the time. We also have different versions of tunes based on what you want to achieve. A tune for drag racing is different than a tune for running your car on the track. As an example the track tune of the M4 rounds off the initial torque curve at lower RPMs because the car produces so much torque and the peak is around 3,000 RPMs it becomes difficult to get the power down without turning down the torque on the low end.

Yes, based on how we are adjusting things, we can leverage the adaptive nature of the embedded systems so if you add higher octane fuel it will adaptive and give you a little bit more. Our stages are as follows:

Stage 1 – stock car.
Stage 2 – addition of downpipe and possibly freer flowing exhaust
Stage 2+ - addition of charge side cooling i.e. FMIC
Stage 3 – upgraded turbos
Stage 4 – custom solution that might include whole new turbos and/or plenums/piping.

That’s a question we love to answer. Similar to how we ask the ECU for more torque, we tell the ECU what A/F ratios we want, if it can’t achieve those the safety parameters kick in. In this case we don’t ever really run into a scenario where A/F goes out of whack unless we get way into a safety parameter and an alternate fuel map kicks in which makes the car go rich to cool the cylinder. This is what happens on the top end of a lot of the piggyback systems as they can’t control the car switching to alt fuel maps. When the car kicks in to those it manifests itself as misfires. We see that a lot when testing piggyback systems.

Short answer it ECU flash tunes are better technology for adding power (except in the case of ethanol mixes and meth injection) and we (Matt) are really good at it.

Currently we feel the Stage 1 is within operating parameters of the transmission. We haven’t officially released Stage 2 yet until we do a bit more testing specifically on the AT cars.
Appreciate 2
      05-25-2015, 02:42 AM   #13
GSR Technik
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhollySmokes View Post
Thanks for posting this. I'm certainly interested, but do you have any more information about the product? Expected hp/tq increases, suggested/necessary supporting modifications, and other pertinent information are all welcome.

I know some of this information may be spread across some other threads, but it would be helpful to consolidate that information here.
Check out the above post.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 09:12 AM   #14
Turbo_435i
Lieutenant
Rep

ok, sounds good, very informative responses

1. once stage 1 is installed, if car is taken to dealer, will the "flash" be seen, causing issues with warranty ? i think you said "no" in a different thread, but i wanna confirm.

2. also. when the car is taken in for typical service, does the dealer reset the ECU/DME , erasing the flash you've installed ?

3. can you post a video of the M235i with stage 1/2 tune on it, possibly showing the speedo/tach view ? 0-60, 40-80 etc ? real world videos speak volumes vs dyno sheets.

4. is the tune available for the M235i now ?

5. is stock fuel pump adequate for the tunes ?

6. can you give me a tune for free ? (haaa, thought id give it a try)

sounds like this tune may be a top contender cost/power..... at least you've peaked my interest over others.
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2015, 02:43 PM   #15
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
I'm a F10 guy and I just had my 535i tuned by GSR Technik. Although you guys stand to make more power with the same stage 1 tune on your N55's, check out what your friendly 5 series guys can do now:

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1130950

So next time you see me on the highway beware of my boat

Also I will be going to the dealer next week. I'll let you know how it goes.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2015, 06:34 PM   #16
alz0rz
What goes here?
Rep
Drives: 2019 G30 M550i

Garage List
Seems like most of the dev time has been with the 228i, can us N55 M235i users see the same amount of development and results?

Particularly interested in the Stage 2 and seeing some hard before and after numbers for our platform.. At this point we have no before and after dyno's of the M235i with Stage I or II?

GBNF:
2021 G80 M3, 2019 F90 M5 Competition, 2016 F80 M3, 2014 F22 M235i
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2015, 04:46 AM   #17
Turbo_435i
Lieutenant
Rep

Any power output results for the M235i ? Stage 1 ?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 08:04 AM   #18
G-Mann
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw doubles View Post
I'm a F10 guy and I just had my 535i tuned by GSR Technik. Although you guys stand to make more power with the same stage 1 tune on your N55's, check out what your friendly 5 series guys can do now:

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1130950

So next time you see me on the highway beware of my boat

Also I will be going to the dealer next week. I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks for the input. Read your post and holy torque gains, very nice results. Do keep us posted on your service results.

Interest in stage II as well.

2022 M4 Comp X
2021 M440ix - Sold
2015 M235 - Sold
Appreciate 1