THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning M Performance Exhaust Tip Installation Question

04-29-2015, 06:51 PM   #1
bimmerfan235
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M235i

M Performance Exhaust Tip Installation Question

Anyone know why there is this weird openining in the intermediate pipe adaptors for the m performance exhaust tips? what is it for. if i try to clamp these adaptors to the stock exhaust pipe there will definitely be an opening because the clamps will not completely cover it. help!!!!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 08:11 PM   #2
tke743
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 Comp

The clamp doesn't cover the whole gap, but the pipe inserts snugly into this section. The clamp then compresses this gap to lock the pipe in place. There is no exhaust leak with this configuration. The exhaust pipe should push in past the gap.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 08:12 PM   #3
tke743
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 Comp

The clamp doesn't cover the whole gap, but the pipe inserts snugly into this section. The clamp then compresses this gap to lock the pipe in place. There is no exhaust leak with this configuration. The exhaust pipe should push in past the gap.

Are you installing the diffuser?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 08:28 PM   #4
bimmerfan235
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tke743 View Post

Are you installing the diffuser?
I have already installed the performance diffuser. I am adding the performance chrome tips to the stock exhaust and therefore needs these adapters to extend the tips out past the new diffuser.

I didn't understand what you stated quite clearly. The clamp is supposed to compress the gap? I don't think that will come out evenly.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 01:10 AM   #5
worktolivelife
Private
Rep
Drives: Mine

When I removed my dealer fitted adapters to fit the MPE that's exactly how it was, it's just a more cost effective ie cheaper way to use a single diameter tubing rather than welded and stepped down to crimp down an fit snug on the original pipe. Didn't leak , didn't look to pretty from underneath though but totally unnoticeable from the outside.
I understand what you mean by " come out evenly" it's only really possible for the end cut away section to achieve metal to metal, but think the real intention was more to secure/extend the tips rather than concerns over 100% of exhaust gases possibly not clearing the diffuser,

Last edited by worktolivelife; 04-30-2015 at 01:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 09:32 AM   #6
bimmerfan235
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by worktolivelife
When I removed my dealer fitted adapters to fit the MPE that's exactly how it was, it's just a more cost effective ie cheaper way to use a single diameter tubing rather than welded and stepped down to crimp down an fit snug on the original pipe. Didn't leak , didn't look to pretty from underneath though but totally unnoticeable from the outside.
I understand what you mean by " come out evenly" it's only really possible for the end cut away section to achieve metal to metal, but think the real intention was more to secure/extend the tips rather than concerns over 100% of exhaust gases possibly not clearing the diffuser,
So basically by installing these adapters, I'm guaranteed to have gas leakage because the gap will not be entirely enclosed by the clamps.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 10:26 PM   #7
bimmerfan235
Enlisted Member
Rep

bump.

still looking for clarification on this. anyone willing to help?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 07:42 PM   #8
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F10 535i

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
When you slide the tips on the pipe out of the muffler will be inserted beyond that cut out. The cut out is there to allow the tip to be compressed by the clamps and not fall off. If the pipe from the muffler doesn't seal that cutout you don't have the tips on far enough.
Appreciate 0