THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Transmission oil change ZF 8 sp

03-21-2018, 03:21 PM   #23
3rdcoast228i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i Msport

I just don't buy into lifetime fluid/filter. Any mechanical device is going to have a certain amount of wear, especially when new. So where does the wear go? The fluid and the filter/pan. I can maybe buy into lifetime after the filter and fluid has been changed once.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 03:29 PM   #24
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdcoast228i View Post
I just don't buy into lifetime fluid/filter. Any mechanical device is going to have a certain amount of wear, especially when new. So where does the wear go? The fluid and the filter/pan. I can maybe buy into lifetime after the filter and fluid has been changed once.
The term ‘lifetime’ is such a marketing charade.
And modern automatic transmissions are so sophisticated and prone to malfunction from novices attempting to service them while under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 03:30 PM   #25
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

I'm curious, why are they charging over $500 for just a transmission flush in a ZF8? Is it that difficult of a job? I know the answer is buried here in the forum somewhere but could someone give me the cliff note answer...
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 03:42 PM   #26
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunil_linus View Post
I'm curious, why are they charging over $500 for just a transmission flush in a ZF8? Is it that difficult of a job? I know the answer is buried here in the forum somewhere but could someone give me the cliff note answer...
I don’t know, but some transmission fluid is expensive. For my mercedes the fluid alone was ~$300
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 04:02 PM   #27
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Quote:
I don’t know, but some transmission fluid is expensive. For my mercedes the fluid alone was ~$300
Make sense, when the dealer was installing my LSD, they quoted me $75 for a .5 ounce of fluid, I was going to tell them to f-off but my research confirmed that was the going price...

Now I get it; they just saved a bunch of money on required (covered) maintenance, just by claiming it contains "lifetime," fairy-dust, fluid.. Genius..

There should be no debate really, it's a no-brainer to flush the fluids at every at 50k miles, regardless of the vehicle or it's performance. It's a cheap investment; since a transmission is second most expensive part in your car to replace, next to the motor..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 05:01 PM   #28
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, 2000 Z3

Lifetime fluid typically means 100k miles. As I have come to understand anytime a manufacturer uses the term lifetime, they usually mean lifetime of warranty. (or roughly 100k)
      03-22-2018, 10:14 AM   #29
cxp213
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Have you tried to price it out? The belly pan and fluids are almost $300 if you pay the regular marked up price. Parts can be had for a little over $200 if you buy at the right time from the right people, though.

As far as difficulty, it's really just a regular trans flush but with belly pan replacement. I already posted a link that talks about DIY. Can't spoonfeed any more than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftwaffe1O1 View Post
Lifetime fluid typically means 100k miles. As I have come to understand anytime a manufacturer uses the term lifetime, they usually mean lifetime of warranty. (or roughly 100k)
Except BMW's warranty ends at 50K, lol. I do tend to think 100K is probably the absolute max you want to go with any "lifetime" fluids, though.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00
      03-22-2018, 10:36 AM   #30
TajoMan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240 xdrive, X3M40i

definition of "lifetime" varies so much, depends on company and application.

Where I work, lifetime means 1.2 million miles. lol
(warranty is 2 yr, 200k miles)

It would be safe to say the lifetime is around 100k miles for typical car manufacture.
They don't target the "lifetime" of a car to 50k miles.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 02:09 PM   #31
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxp213 View Post
Have you tried to price it out? The belly pan and fluids are almost $300 if you pay the regular marked up price. Parts can be had for a little over $200 if you buy at the right time from the right people, though.

As far as difficulty, it's really just a regular trans flush but with belly pan replacement. I already posted a link that talks about DIY. Can't spoonfeed any more than that.

Except BMW's warranty ends at 50K, lol. I do tend to think 100K is probably the absolute max you want to go with any "lifetime" fluids, though.
Extended and CPO warranties end around the 100k mark. I would imagine it is the rough target they would shoot for. There isn't going to be some definite answer here, it just seems like a good measure to use.
      08-08-2018, 08:24 PM   #32
Zweier
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lexus ES350

Just had my filter and fluids changed at 80,000km on my 2016 228i. I had a fluid sample sent to Blackstone. The fluid was reported to be in excellent condition and recommended I perform the next fluid/filter change again at 80,000km - high iron content was noted and attributed to run-in from new rather than adverse wear. ZF recommends this service between 80-120K. Given that this service was pricey I may extend and do the next service at 200,000 km - $500 CAD in parts and $200.00 CAD in labor.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 07:17 PM   #33
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep

If you have an extended warranty, I would wonder whether doing a fluid change could potentially void your warranty on the transmission itself should it fail afterwards.

I got the platinum 7yr/100k warranty recently, so if you are running the extended warranties, this is something I would be curious about, as typically dunno if the dealer themselves would do the fluid change.

I know they would need to prove that's what caused it, but good luck fighting them on this, that's why I am just curious if doing the fluid change while within warranty, and then having a transmission failure could cause them to deny a claim.

Otherwise you are saver just letting the transmission kick the bucket while under warranty.
      08-09-2018, 11:33 PM   #34
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftwaffe1O1 View Post
If you have an extended warranty, I would wonder whether doing a fluid change could potentially void your warranty on the transmission itself should it fail afterwards.

I got the platinum 7yr/100k warranty recently, so if you are running the extended warranties, this is something I would be curious about, as typically dunno if the dealer themselves would do the fluid change.

I know they would need to prove that's what caused it, but good luck fighting them on this, that's why I am just curious if doing the fluid change while within warranty, and then having a transmission failure could cause them to deny a claim.

Otherwise you are saver just letting the transmission kick the bucket while under warranty.
Well if you use the stock filter and oil not sure how they will ever know if it was changed or not.....

If you want to be safe you can request BMW to do it but you will have to pay for it and probably you will have to fight them to agree to do it .... as I'm sure they will say it's not necessary ... and estimate $800 for them to do it...
Appreciate 0