THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum M235i or M240i

View Poll Results: M235i Now or M240i in 1 year?
M235i 45 47.37%
M240i 50 52.63%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

03-21-2018, 05:07 PM   #45
Joe_E
Captain
Rep
Drives: FBO 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftwaffe1O1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_E View Post
Said if I get tired of it being slow and dislike tracking it I would do that. I don't mind the stock power because it handles extremely well, if I ever wanted more power I would likely supercharge it instead. Keep similar power band
I would honestly advise against it, I know the Z3 and S2k are not the same car, but similar concept behind them. Anything over 450hp and they start to be quite unwieldy.

If you plan on going big power, I would not do it to something that is built around being a canyon carver (typically 2 seater roadies).
I understand that, wouldn't go over 380-400 max if it was boosted. Very unlikely to go big turbo because I don't care much for going stupid fast in a straight line, don't find it fun. But do like the small car and chances are I'd keep the engine stock and just do suspension work. And looks if I really wanted it to be a little different than the rest. More fun to drive a slow car fast than to not be able to use the full potential of a high hp car
      03-21-2018, 11:31 PM   #46
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

You'll be seriously disappointed in the daily power. It is the definition of gutless. Honestly, a stock NB Miata feels more lively and powerful during normal driving and that's a pretty slow car. Not until you wring the S2000 out does it become glorious.

For my money, I'd grab a barely used ND Miata for low 20s and add the quality Edlebrock SC for $5K. 2300lbs and 200whp would be a blast. In stock form the ND Miata isn't that much slower than the S2000 and FAR faster feeling around town.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 09:38 AM   #47
Le frog
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
You'll be seriously disappointed in the daily power. It is the definition of gutless. Honestly, a stock NB Miata feels more lively and powerful during normal driving and that's a pretty slow car. Not until you wring the S2000 out does it become glorious.

For my money, I'd grab a barely used ND Miata for low 20s and add the quality Edlebrock SC for $5K. 2300lbs and 200whp would be a blast. In stock form the ND Miata isn't that much slower than the S2000 and FAR faster feeling around town.
The S2000 is a great car, and has that something special that no Miata, as fun as they can be to drive - And they are- can touch period.
I'd wager that a good, unmolested AP1 will gain in value sooner than later. I regret having sold mine, and miss it dearly.
Like others Said, what makes the S2000 so different, is its engine itself: A 240 hp, naturally aspirated, 2 L, 9000RPM screaming marvel. Not that crazy in today standard, but I can count on the fingers of one hand the 100+HP / Liter naturally aspirated engines that have been available on the market. Plus this is a super easy car to wrench on. Make no mistake, the S2000 will humble you in its stock form, as it came with no nannies, except ABS. It's a real drivers car, fun on the twisties, stellar on the track.
Yes, you can strap on a turbo that will give you that 400+hp on the axle, but:
1- you will be strapping a grenade to the engine
2 - That phone pole that the car is going to wrap itself around will come much faster.
Instead, I would recommend a comptech supercharger that will easily give a more than adequate 300+ HP.

Last edited by Le frog; 03-22-2018 at 09:46 AM..
Appreciate 1
Joe_E263.50
      03-22-2018, 12:13 PM   #48
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

I agree, the S2000 is a wondrous car. I love them, but the going prices for an unmolested one are pretty crazy now. They certainly will go up in value and will be collectors cars 10+ years from now. I also think it's terrible to consider modding one beyond perhaps some wheels, tires, and suspension. It's a momentum car. Adding a lot of power will overwhelm the chassis as it wasn't designed for big power.

If you want something fast, cheap, easy to mod, easy to go deep 11s, great handling (assuming you can contend with the size), get a newer gen 5.0 Stang or Z28. Those a bargain sports cars.
      03-22-2018, 02:05 PM   #49
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, 2000 Z3

There is actually something to be said about a car that you have to wind out to higher RPMS to get the fun out of it. This isn't something I appreciated until recently I would say. As fun as FI and torque is, there is something to be said about pushing a car to get the performance out of it.
My Z3 has been more or less my project car for a few years now, so its the one ive been throwing money at. Being only a 2.5 liter, it was pretty gutless in OEM spec, but I have since done ZHP cams, the M54B30 intake manifold, new headers, full header back exhaust, and a more aggressive diff. The larger intake manifold and cams have pushed the powerband up quite a bit, so hitting the mountain roads I am usually in the higher RPM range, and its something I have really come to like.

The S2k is that concept, but then add some crack to the equation. I have always really liked those, and realistically it is a car I think is more or less perfect as is. I would not mod that too much, maybe some minor things.