THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum After market??

03-28-2014, 09:57 PM   #1
GFK007
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 m235i

After market??

Does it usually take this long for aftermarket parts to become available on new cars??

I'm shocked we aren't seeing more diffusers, spoilers, rims, exhausts etc at this point.

Are my expectations ridiculous?

(gone but not forgotten) 2011 e90 M Sport - M-Tech Carbon Diffuser, OEM Carbon Trunk Spoiler, 20% tint, black reflectors, black OEM grille, LUX white Angel Eyes.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 10:56 PM   #2
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Well the M135i parts should be the same.. have you tried looking at those?

For some of the cosmetic ones, they are mostly replica versions of the BMW performance parts.. so once those comes out
      03-28-2014, 11:23 PM   #3
GFK007
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 m235i

The m135i parts obviously won't fir the two though.

I just want to order some black grilles and color match deflectors to at least get the process started.

(gone but not forgotten) 2011 e90 M Sport - M-Tech Carbon Diffuser, OEM Carbon Trunk Spoiler, 20% tint, black reflectors, black OEM grille, LUX white Angel Eyes.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 11:29 PM   #4
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFK007 View Post
Does it usually take this long for aftermarket parts to become available on new cars??

I'm shocked we aren't seeing more diffusers, spoilers, rims, exhausts etc at this point.

Are my expectations ridiculous?
The car just went on sale within the past month. Wait a bit, they will come.
      03-29-2014, 02:18 AM   #5
M.barnes
Captain
Rep
Drives: 123d

Black grills from bmw are available in uk at least bit yeah I know kw have a car already for developing coilovers etc
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 03:21 AM   #6
darcivic00si
Save the manuals!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lotus Evora S

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFK007 View Post
The m135i parts obviously won't fir the two though.

I just want to order some black grilles and color match deflectors to at least get the process started.
Color matched front reflectors are available, too. I ordered mine from IND and got the tracking number right away. They use OEM BMW reflectors and paint them whatever OEM BMW color you need.

http://ind-distribution.com/ind/bran...ont-reflectors
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 04:11 AM   #7
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MG F22 Auto

Shaking my cans of Plasti-Dip now! Aftermarket? I'll show you aftermarket!
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2014, 01:03 PM   #8
lichenlt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delnari View Post
Shaking my cans of Plasti-Dip now! Aftermarket? I'll show you aftermarket!
thinking about doing the same when I get my car. post pics when you are done!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 01:16 PM   #9
M.barnes
Captain
Rep
Drives: 123d

50k car and a can of spray paint. Come on guys, be ballers, splash out $100 on the grills
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 01:17 PM   #10
darcivic00si
Save the manuals!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lotus Evora S

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.barnes View Post
50k car and a can of spray paint. Come on guys, be ballers, splash out $100 on the grills
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 02:05 PM   #11
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MG F22 Auto

I got hooked on the Plasti-Dip last summer and started hitting everything with wheels, bicycle, motorcycles, and cars. It's so cool you can try different combination of colors and overlays and just peel it off if you don't like it or just want to change it.

Keeping it simple at first. Just hitting the rear and side emblems with flat black. Don't think I will do the stock wheels as they do look really good right now. Maybe come next Fall I might just to help against the bad weather then peel them come Spring. The stuff is really addictive
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 02:12 PM   #12
Richy59
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
I'm gonna be attempting my first plasti dipping on the mirror covers once I get the car. I'll then experiment with other parts of the car and maybe even the wheels :P
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 03:00 PM   #13
Dr. Indiana Jones
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Are u guys indicating that u can plasti-wrap using a spray can yourself w/o worrying about getting paint everywhere? Sounds dangerous. Please elaborate... we need to hear more about this before I even consider shelling out say $300 to get the dealer to subcontract the work out. Perhaps parts to be sprayed (mirror caps, reflectors, etc.) s/b removed from the car before spraying? Or is this plasti wrap basically idiot proof and can be easily removed from unwanted areas. Please share your knowledge.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 06:18 PM   #14
Richy59
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
I haven't tried it yet but watched a few videos on YouTube. Can't be too hard...I hope :P

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 06:58 PM   #15
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Indiana Jones View Post
Are u guys indicating that u can plasti-wrap using a spray can yourself w/o worrying about getting paint everywhere? Sounds dangerous. Please elaborate... we need to hear more about this before I even consider shelling out say $300 to get the dealer to subcontract the work out. Perhaps parts to be sprayed (mirror caps, reflectors, etc.) s/b removed from the car before spraying? Or is this plasti wrap basically idiot proof and can be easily removed from unwanted areas. Please share your knowledge.
It's not paint, you can spray it all over the place and it peels off when dry if you don't like what you did. It's idiot proof, granted if you tried to spray the grilles in place and ended up clogging up your radiator or some seriously stupid shit like that we need to discuss the definition of idiot, but with some common sense it's pretty easy.

BTW didn't mean to imply you personally would do that, was just giving an example.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 07:17 PM   #16
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Oh one important tip. If you mask right up to the edge of where you are using plasti-dip, it is not like paint. When you pull up the mask it will pull the plasti-dip up too since the coating floats, if that is the right term, and doesn't adhere the same way paint does. So mask wide like in the video (didn't watch it but assume that's what he's gonna tell you) and cut around the line with an xacto knife before pulling everything off.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 08:23 PM   #17
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.barnes
I wouldnt dish out $100 for just the outer grills, the inner is already blacked out. Plasti dip is the way to go
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 06:16 PM   #18
Dr. Indiana Jones
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
It's not paint, you can spray it all over the place and it peels off when dry if you don't like what you did. It's idiot proof, granted if you tried to spray the grilles in place and ended up clogging up your radiator or some seriously stupid shit like that we need to discuss the definition of idiot, but with some common sense it's pretty easy.

BTW didn't mean to imply you personally would do that, was just giving an example.
LOL...good tips... I realize this stuff pulls right off, but r u saying u can just spray away freely? Last thing I need is overspray that needs to be unwrapped. Wouldn't it be better to remove the parts to be sprayed? Or just tape everything w plastic, etc. I did see a utube video on this and it looks like guys are indeed doing it themselves w/o contracting a pro to do it. It just scares me to spray this stuff on a brand new BMW. Since the car is leased, I'd be interested in plasti-wrapping the mirror caps and rear deflectors. Could this been done in body colour (MG) or something similar? I understand u can also spray on a shiny finish clear coat of plasti-wrap if u want a sheen?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 06:27 PM   #19
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Indiana Jones View Post
LOL...good tips... I realize this stuff pulls right off, but r u saying u can just spray away freely? Last thing I need is overspray that needs to be unwrapped. Wouldn't it be better to remove the parts to be sprayed? Or just tape everything w plastic, etc. I did see a utube video on this and it looks like guys are indeed doing it themselves w/o contracting a pro to do it. It just scares me to spray this stuff on a brand new BMW. Since the car is leased, I'd be interested in plasti-wrapping the mirror caps and rear deflectors. Could this been done in body colour (MG) or something similar? I understand u can also spray on a shiny finish clear coat of plasti-wrap if u want a sheen?
I would mask off as much as possible, but if you get some someplace by accident it wouldn't be an issue. For the mirrors, does the ferric grey wrap around to the inside behind the mirror as well or is it just on the front? I don't remember and my car isn't here yet. If it's just on the front it's easy, if not I would ask the service dept. how to remove just the mirror and unplug it, then shove some newspaper inside to prevent overspray from gunking up the mechanism. Then just mask around the mirror, with some newspaper on windows and whatnot. As long as you don't spray in a windstorm you'll be fine. Deflectors you mean the red ones in back? Getting plastidip to match might be tough, although I am sure if you contact the guys making body colored front reflectors you could get them to do the back too.

You should check the 1 forum if you haven't already, those guys must be smoking pastidip with crack pipes. Doing entire cars, stripes on cars, wheels, all kinds of stuff. They are all fiends and swear by the stuff.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 06:30 PM   #20
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

BTW my MG will be here in a few weeks, going black grilles, black or MG mirrors, MG front reflectors, clear corners. If you're worried about making a giant mess and not liking the end results, if you hold off a few weeks I can send you some pics and you can decide then. But I really don't think you'll get into trouble. It's not like sticky glue residue that is a bitch to remove. You kind of just grab a corner and it peels off very easily.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 06:40 PM   #21
darkerosxx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i

I've done a lot of plasti-dip and fair warning for folks: 2 things, mask off much further than you think you need because it creeps and while heavy layers peel off easy, small dots that dry can be a huge pain to scrub off. The other thing is I would recommend not doing the matte black on your mirrors. Small pieces you do that you don't look at up close look fine in matte black, like emblems or rims, but the more surface area you cover and the more up close you're seeing something, the worse plasti-dip looks. If you want to change the color of your mirrors, my personal opinion is wrapping is going to give you a much much better result than plasti-dip.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 06:42 PM   #22
darkerosxx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i

Also recommend not doing grilles unless you do the whole grille or do glossy plasti-dip. The matte black next to the glossy black will be noticeably different.

Another thing, if you do your grilles, put a trash bag under your hood behind the grille so you don't spray your intake. Little stuff some folks don't think about.
Appreciate 0