THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Stiff clutch springs?

04-05-2024, 10:44 AM   #1
bcoleman96
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 218i Cabriolet

Stiff clutch springs?

Hi all,

I wanted to ask for some advice regarding the clutch on my 2016 218i F23.

I've had it 6 months and I'm still struggling to get used to the clutch - as it's a lot stiffer than any car I've had in the past. This also makes it difficult to get the biting point every time without judder. Although it does engage well.

However, whilst driving the other day, I noticed if I have the footwell heating on, the clutch pedal eases. Which makes me think it's to do with the springs heating up and becoming looser.

Does anyone have any experience of this or know how to potentially make the pedal lighter and easier to feel the bite?

Any help would be greatly appreciated 😊
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 06:17 PM   #2
alanmc_21
Rep
Drives: M235i F23, A4 Allroad

In a 2016 M235i and definitely don't find the clutch all that stiff.
Not sure if it's a different spring, but maybe worth checking
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 06:29 PM   #3
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

Clutch engagement on my car is about 1 to 1.5" (2.5-4cm) travel, is that too much? I did install a clutch stop (spacer at the end of travel) but rarely bottom out on it. The judder is a "BMW thing" and I've seen several reviewers comment on it.

You may just need to adjust your seating position or practice how far to press the clutch when shifting.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 06:30 PM   #4
Kernel Kurtz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i xDrive

Pretty sure most of the resistance you feel is going to be the actual clutch release springs (via hydraulics), not in the footwell. Yes there are some in the pedal assembly, you could try lubricating them, but I doubt it will make a difference.

Strong springs are almost certainly better than the alternative. Not sure this is a problem unless there are other symptoms.
Appreciate 0