THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Siri iphone X

02-20-2018, 08:44 AM   #1
mburg
MBurg
Rep
Drives: '22 230

Siri iphone X

I recently purchased an iphone x. Previously (iphone 6), when I pressed the talk button on the steering wheel, I could access Siri. I would do this when I felt the phone vibrate in my pocket, indicating a new text. I would ask Siri to read my most recent text message (through Bluetooth), and she would comply. SHe would then ask if I wanted to respond.

With the iphone x, when I do this - e.g., ask Siri to read my most recent text message, she says, "I could do that but you first have to unlock your phone, and I would not recommend that while you are driving".

The phone is set to allow Siri when locked.

Is there an additional setting or setup that must be accomplished?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 06:54 AM   #2
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Contact the techs at your local Apple store.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 09:50 AM   #3
mburg
MBurg
Rep

Thanks, I did - they're baffled. Suggested I get insistent with Siri and see what happens. Will keep you posted.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 03:06 PM   #4
wally92
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i 6MT Convertible

I had the same problem when I turned off CarPlay and went with straight iDrive instead.

This worked for me: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8154190
"Navigate to Settings > Notifications, Messages > and adjust Show Previews to Always"

That does have the side-effect of allowing the content of your text messages to be viewed on your home screen without Face ID. It would be nice if Apple separated that out for CarPlay vs. home screen, however I am willing to live with that for hands-free text messages in the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 02:13 PM   #5
mburg
MBurg
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally92 View Post
I had the same problem when I turned off CarPlay and went with straight iDrive instead.

This worked for me: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8154190
"Navigate to Settings > Notifications, Messages > and adjust Show Previews to Always"

That does have the side-effect of allowing the content of your text messages to be viewed on your home screen without Face ID. It would be nice if Apple separated that out for CarPlay vs. home screen, however I am willing to live with that for hands-free text messages in the car.
Thanks - that feature is turned on currently.
Appreciate 0