THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Eisenmann race exhaust for BMW m235i F22 review

03-30-2015, 11:58 PM   #1
KAY-OS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW m235i F22

Eisenmann race exhaust for BMW m235i F22 review

Hi all. Just wanted to post a review of the eisenmann race exhaust with sound pipe (non-resonated) since there isn't much info or sound clips out there. I hope this would help others in making a decision on purchasing an exhaust. If you want to quickly listen to the sound, scroll down to the youtube clip. Otherwise, read on! Cheers.

Background
I personally prefer an exhaust to be aggressive. I believe why bother changing the exhaust if it's only slightly louder than stock, right?
Just to give you a reference, I've had an acura RSX with Tanabe medallion race exhaust and then a Mitsubishi Evolution X with Amuse R1 Ti exhaust. The Tanabe exhaust was LOUD, with tons of DRONE. I absolutely loved it, apart from the drone on long communtes. ha ha. The Amuse exhaust wasn't too loud, and not much drone (I preferred it to be louder though). So, this review of the eisenmann will be mainly based on comparing the sound/drone level of my previous experiences with the tanabe and amuse exhaust.

Why did I choose Eisenmann race exhaust with sound pipe?
Well, as you probably already know, I like the exhaust to be aggressive. From research on web, the louder/aggressive brands were akrapovic or eisenmann race. Unfortunately, akrapovic didn't make an exhaust for m235i. So therefore i decided on the eisenmann race. I wanted it to be loud, so I got the sound pipe (non resonated) (and it was cheaper than the resonated mid-pipe ).
Also, from youtube clips, I didn't like the sound of the Armytrix or iPE even though these were probably louder than the eisenmann with the valve opened. The sound wasn't bass-ey or angry enough for my liking. I also like my exhaust to be louder/aggressive all the time, so I didn't need with a valve/switch to control the sound. A friend of mine had a Audi TT with Supersprint exhaust, and it wasn't aggressive enough, so no thanks. The Meisterschaft race exhaust was probably way too loud without the muffler. The Meisterschaft GTC exhaust didn't have much reviews at the time and I don't need the valve/switch.

Install
The race exhaust has an area to install the stock valve controller, but the exhaust itself doesn't have a valve, so changing from comfort to sport mode doesn't affect the sound volume. Install was straightforward.

Sound
From outside, the exhaust has a bassy-ey rumble and an aggressive tone. It's probably less refined than the akrapovic but it's more angrier IMO, and I like it! In comfort mode, the pop/crackle on lifting off the pedal is noticeable but not loud. In sport mode, I was surprised to hear the pop/crackle sounding like firecrackers! It's explosive on revving to 4000rpm+ and then lifting off the pedal. I had a chance to compare it to the Meisterschaft GTC in person, and the volume was similar, but the pop/crackle was louder in the Eisenmann (perhaps due to sound pipe with no resonator).

From the inside, with all windows closed, I was surprised how quiet it was. I think the sound proofing of the car is way too good. Ha. In comfort mode cruising in automatic, it is only slightly louder than stock. I don't think there's the annoying bass drone at all. The exhaust tone comes alive when you rev it past 2000-3000rpm. But again, IMO, it is not droney. In sport mode, with the windows closed, you can hear the crackle and pop in the background.

Here's the following link to the clip:

Conclusion
I'm very satisfied with this exhaust set up. I prefer it to be even a bit louder, but I can get a sport cat or decat and that should solve it. Some maybe worried about drone, but honestly, I don't think it's droney at all (even with the sound pipe). If you're worried about the drone, get the the mid-pipe with resonator and you should be happy. Hearing the angry aggressive firecracker sound always makes me grin.

Hope this is helpful to people making an exhaust choice. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Cheers!
Attached Images

Last edited by KAY-OS; 03-31-2015 at 09:04 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2015, 05:19 AM   #2
KAY-OS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Here's a 2nd clip I took. Following clip is of acceleration in comfort then in sport mode.

Appreciate 1
      04-05-2015, 06:17 PM   #3
Autobot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F22 M235 6MT

I had the same set up on my E90, and if I could justify the costs for the F22, this would be the system I would be getting. It does sound AMAZING!!
      04-05-2015, 06:29 PM   #4
ketema
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Sounds great, but I can't tell difference from M-Sport Exhaust. All in all its a great sounding car when exhaust is not stock.
2015 6M Black Sapphire Metallic | MPE w/Carbon Tips | Digital MP Steering Wheel | Carbon Interior | StopTech Slotted Rotors | Pagid RSL1 Race Pads | KW Clubsport Coilovers | DINAN Stage 2 and Carbon air intake | Clutch Masters Lightweight Performance Clutch and Flywheel | Hotchkis Anti-Roll Bars | Enkei RS05RR 18" Racing Wheels
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2015, 09:35 PM   #5
KAY-OS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobot View Post
I had the same set up on my E90, and if I could justify the costs for the F22, this would be the system I would be getting. It does sound AMAZING!!
Yes, it is a bit pricey, but for the sound it makes and how much it makes me grin every time I rev it and hear it pop/crackle, I think it's worth every penny! Very happy with this exhaust so far.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 09:55 PM   #6
quicknick235
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i xDrive Estoril Blue

Garage List
Sounds incredible! Thanks for the review. I originally had my heart set on the meisterschaft GTC, but hearing this exhaust made me completely change my mind. I also love how it sounds mean from the outside and there isn't a problem with the drone. Sounds like the perfect bass-et exhaust IMO! (Except for the price ) lol thanks for the review!

Garage queens: 2014 F10 M5, 2014 Gallardo lp560-2
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 12:52 PM   #7
KAY-OS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicknick235 View Post
Sounds incredible! Thanks for the review. I originally had my heart set on the meisterschaft GTC, but hearing this exhaust made me completely change my mind. I also love how it sounds mean from the outside and there isn't a problem with the drone. Sounds like the perfect bass-et exhaust IMO! (Except for the price ) lol thanks for the review!
I'm glad this review is useful to you!
BTW, I recently installed the GruppeM air intake and now it makes this explosion gun shot sound after downshifting from high rev driving in sport/sport+ mode. I am not kidding when i mean explosion/gun shot. I have no idea if there's flames coming out of the exhaust but it sure does sound like it. I am not complaining. It's freakin awesome! lol! It's loud enough to go 'holy sh*t!' when the windows are all closed. I will try to get a video clip of the sound sometime this week or next week if possible.
In comfort mode, there's no difference in sound with or without the gruppem intake.
Again, if too loud is not your thing, I suggest getting the mid pipe with resonator.

Last edited by KAY-OS; 05-28-2015 at 12:38 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2015, 01:55 PM   #8
quicknick235
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i xDrive Estoril Blue

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAY-OS
Quote:
Originally Posted by quicknick235 View Post
I'm glad this review is useful to you!
BTW, I recently installed the GruppeM air intake and now it makes this explosion gun shot sound after releasing the pedal from high rev driving in sport/sport+ mode. I am not kidding when i mean explosion/gun shot. I have no idea if there's flames coming out of the exhaust but it sure does sound like it. I am not complaining. It's freakin awesome! lol! It's loud enough to go 'holy sh*t!' when the windows are all closed. I will try to get a video clip of the sound sometime this week or next week if possible.
In comfort mode, there's no difference in sound with or without the gruppem intake.
Again, if too loud is not your thing, I suggest getting the mid pipe with resonator.
Wow that's freakin awesome thanks! And not at all the louder the better (within reason) haha I'll be on the look out for that sound clip

Garage queens: 2014 F10 M5, 2014 Gallardo lp560-2
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 12:59 AM   #9
KAY-OS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Here's the video clip of the insanely loud backfire. Warning: turn down the volume, it's loud.
Enjoy!

Appreciate 1
      06-29-2015, 08:06 AM   #10
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

This is with the cats still installed? Those are some really loud backfires!
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2015, 08:35 AM   #11
KAY-OS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
This is with the cats still installed? Those are some really loud backfires!
Yes. Stock cat. Only mods done so far are (apart from cosmetic bits) : GruppeM air intake, Forge BOV, Eisenmann race exhaust and sound pipe (non-resonated). Thus I'm a bit surprised at how loud the backfire is. I like loud, so it's a good surprise.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 01:22 PM   #12
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAY-OS View Post
Here's the video clip of the insanely loud backfire. Warning: turn down the volume, it's loud.
Enjoy!

Sorry - the trailing throttle backfires sound sh!te and probably going to knock lumps out of the stock cat. Me no likey

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 02:51 PM   #13
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Sorry - the trailing throttle backfires sound sh!te and probably going to knock lumps out of the stock cat. Me no likey
Unless he's running a tune, then I don't see how this would do anything different than what your M135i is doing.

Unless stock M235i's act completely differently than M135i.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 05:30 PM   #14
allthatisntnow
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C, 991 C2

Don't see how it would do any damage to anything. The cracks and bangs aren't backfires (which is actually combustion in the intake manifold), misfires or afterfires. All it is is the cool outside air rushing into the exhaust when the pressure decreases on trailing throttle hitting massively hot exhaust gas and rapidly expanding creating a pop. Not to everyones taste, but not harmful. Afterfire would be accompanied by flames. I think its quite nice when moderated by valves.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 07:58 AM   #15
KAY-OS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes, some people will find the noise obnoxious. But luckily I'm cool with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatisntnow View Post
Don't see how it would do any damage to anything. The cracks and bangs aren't backfires (which is actually combustion in the intake manifold), misfires or afterfires. All it is is the cool outside air rushing into the exhaust when the pressure decreases on trailing throttle hitting massively hot exhaust gas and rapidly expanding creating a pop. Not to everyones taste, but not harmful. Afterfire would be accompanied by flames. I think its quite nice when moderated by valves.
Thanks for the comment! I'm curious to know what exactly is causing this loud bang. The loud bangs only occur when it's in sport/sport+ mode. In comfort mode, there are no loud bangs.
Therefore, if it is due to this theory of cool outside air rushing into the exhaust, then surely the loud bangs should also be heard in comfort mode?

Does anyone have the same loud bangs after installing an aftermarket exhaust and air intake? If not, then I'm guessing the loud bang is caused by my BOV (when lift off throttle, calculated air is vented out, thus A:F mixture richer, thus excess fuel is burnt in exhaust hence bang). However, if it is due to the BOV, then the loud bang should be heard in comfort mode too? Or another question is: what is changing in the engine in sport/ sport+ mode which may contribute to the loud bang?
However, when I installed the exhaust and the BOV only, there were no loud bangs. The loud bangs were only heard after the installation of the air intake. So another question is why would the installation of the air intake cause these loud bangs to occur?

Would be interesting to know what's going on.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 09:27 AM   #16
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Unless he's running a tune, then I don't see how this would do anything different than what your M135i is doing.
My m135i with Jb4, HFC DP and MPE burbles more and and doesn't make the rifle snap / whip crack type sound as per video.

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 09:38 AM   #17
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Don't see how it would do any damage to anything. The cracks and bangs aren't backfires (which is actually combustion in the intake manifold), misfires or afterfires.

........not harmful.
Suggest you read this thread about a recent story of an M235i with stock cat and you may want to re-consider......

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1128580

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 06:05 PM   #18
allthatisntnow
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yes, some people will find the noise obnoxious. But luckily I'm cool with it.

Thanks for the comment! I'm curious to know what exactly is causing this loud bang. The loud bangs only occur when it's in sport/sport+ mode. In comfort mode, there are no loud bangs.
Therefore, if it is due to this theory of cool outside air rushing into the exhaust, then surely the loud bangs should also be heard in comfort mode?

Does anyone have the same loud bangs after installing an aftermarket exhaust and air intake? If not, then I'm guessing the loud bang is caused by my BOV (when lift off throttle, calculated air is vented out, thus A:F mixture richer, thus excess fuel is burnt in exhaust hence bang). However, if it is due to the BOV, then the loud bang should be heard in comfort mode too? Or another question is: what is changing in the engine in sport/ sport+ mode which may contribute to the loud bang?
However, when I installed the exhaust and the BOV only, there were no loud bangs. The loud bangs were only heard after the installation of the air intake. So another question is why would the installation of the air intake cause these loud bangs to occur?

Would be interesting to know what's going on.
The difference is caused by the exhaust opening being larger and unable to allow for equalised pressure with the outside air hence air getting drawn in on trailing throttle. In sport mode the valves in the exhaust open effectively increasing the diameter of the exhaust outlets over what they'd be in comfort. Although you can still get burbles in comfort, just not to the same degree. If it were misfires you were experiencing it would be present all the time.

EDIT: I see the actuator isn't transferred over in your set up. In which case why the perceived change in sound between the modes seems a bit odd. Maybe due to increased throttle response in sport/ sport plus you get your revs up higher and quicker before backing off creating a bigger pressure difference that way.

Last edited by allthatisntnow; 07-01-2015 at 06:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 06:34 PM   #19
allthatisntnow
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Suggest you read this thread about a recent story of an M235i with stock cat and you may want to re-consider......

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1128580
I don't see how someone melting their cat in a 2 series has any bearing on an aftermarket exhaust burbling and popping? Even if stock there could be defects that would cause a cat melt completely unrelated to the phenomena that cause the exhaust burbling. Exhaust temps are going to skyrocket on track. Combine that with a tune (i know that wasn't the case with his) and you could be getting rich burn conditions that will destroy a cat by raising its temp beyond design capacity. Having fuel reaching your cat will destroy it, not exhaust burbles on over run. If thats happening you have actual problems with fuelling due to a defect or a non-optimal tune.

Some systems do dump fuel into the exhaust to create cracks (would only harm the cat if it came into contact with it), but they are usually accompanied by flames as with an afterfire scenario. I haven't come across any BMW systems stock or otherwise that use this approach.

If it is due to a tune or heavily altered air/fuel ratios then this could lead to problems with the cat, but most people going the tune route go catless.

Last edited by allthatisntnow; 07-01-2015 at 06:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 01:38 AM   #20
KAY-OS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The difference is caused by the exhaust opening being larger and unable to allow for equalised pressure with the outside air hence air getting drawn in on trailing throttle. In sport mode the valves in the exhaust open effectively increasing the diameter of the exhaust outlets over what they'd be in comfort. Although you can still get burbles in comfort, just not to the same degree. If it were misfires you were experiencing it would be present all the time.

EDIT: I see the actuator isn't transferred over in your set up. In which case why the perceived change in sound between the modes seems a bit odd. Maybe due to increased throttle response in sport/ sport plus you get your revs up higher and quicker before backing off creating a bigger pressure difference that way.
Ah yes, I forgot to mention the exhaust valve in the eisenmann 'race' exhaust is deleted, thus the sound/ volume is the same in comfort or sport/sport+ mode.

Stock cat melting is a concern. Anyone have any idea at around what temp does the stock cat melt? I have the P3 gauge, so I can monitor the exhaust temp if necessary.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2015, 05:17 AM   #21
allthatisntnow
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Ah yes, I forgot to mention the exhaust valve in the eisenmann 'race' exhaust is deleted, thus the sound/ volume is the same in comfort or sport/sport+ mode.

Stock cat melting is a concern. Anyone have any idea at around what temp does the stock cat melt? I have the P3 gauge, so I can monitor the exhaust temp if necessary.

Anything over 1000 C will be dangerous for the cat. It should typically sit around 400 C under normal driving but will climb the more aggressively you drive without harm. If you work in fahrenheit, just make sure it never goes over 1800 f as a general rule.

Cant see you having any issues with just a catback exhaust swap as the factory fuel ratios, ignition timing and all that will still be in effect so exhaust temps shouldn't be changing outside of the design specs.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 04:20 AM   #22
KAY-OS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Anything over 1000 C will be dangerous for the cat. It should typically sit around 400 C under normal driving but will climb the more aggressively you drive without harm. If you work in fahrenheit, just make sure it never goes over 1800 f as a general rule.

Cant see you having any issues with just a catback exhaust swap as the factory fuel ratios, ignition timing and all that will still be in effect so exhaust temps shouldn't be changing outside of the design specs.
Cool thanks for the info! One question though. I've read that BOV will temporarily cause rich A:F mixture when lift off throttle. Perhaps this extra fuel ignites and explode thus causing the sound and therefore may burn/melt my cat?
Appreciate 0