BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > M2 v Cayman GT4

08-16-2015, 06:24 PM   #353
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbear View Post
Here is mine getting prepped! And yes W///, from what many are saying it can definitely be a DD. Just have to be a little careful with some entrances, etc, but that's expected of most enthusiast cars.
I have to say, the suspension button (sorry, forgot acronym ) didn't seem to make much of a difference at all. Felt the same on Comfort and Sport to me.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2015, 11:36 PM   #354
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

hands down GT4 for a track toy

Past: Gintani stage3 M3, Cayman GTS
present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6,Macan Turbo,997GT2,930 turbo,i3, MINI JCW
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 12:12 AM   #355
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbear
Here is mine getting prepped! And yes W///, from what many are saying it can definitely be a DD. Just have to be a little careful with some entrances, etc, but that's expected of most enthusiast cars.
That is sick mang congrats - !
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 12:44 AM   #356
csbear
Major
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
Thanks red! I appreciate it.

Since this is an M2 forum first and foremost, I am excited to see the initial owners take hold of their M2s. Although I really like the M4, I have always been partial to smaller cars. I wouldn't say the M2 is "small" like the Cayman, but since cars in general are just getting bigger all around, it's nice to see a BMW with the performance and size of the M2. Kudos to BMW for keeping it real with the 1M and now the M2. They know enthusiast customers want cars they can throw around and the M2 fits the bill. A big reason I stretched my budget and took the GT4 over an M4.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 02:22 AM   #357
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbear
Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post

Since this is an M2 forum first and foremost, I am excited to see the initial owners take hold of their M2s. Although I really like the M4, I have always been partial to smaller cars. I wouldn't say the M2 is "small" like the Cayman, but since cars in general are just getting bigger all around, it's nice to see a BMW with the performance and size of the M2. Kudos to BMW for keeping it real with the 1M and now the M2. They know enthusiast customers want cars they can throw around and the M2 fits the bill. A big reason I stretched my budget and took the GT4 over an M4.
I am on the fence regarding the 2er M Coupe. I may get excited once its out and i have an opportunity to sample one. I like both the Cayman and the Boxster and feel they are best in class. As far as size I agree wholeheartedly. Your car is awesome but this is a stupid thread. No comparison there is no substitute /
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 08:52 AM   #358
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
You lucky dog ! Drive it in good health.

The GT4 is a win for two.

Let's see if the M2 is a win for four.
      08-17-2015, 02:02 PM   #359
Bimmed Out
There Is No Substitute
Rep
Drives: Several 911's

Quote:
Originally Posted by m235i View Post
Yes, it may have helped my situation. Ground clearance when entering/exiting my home and work garage was the reason I cancelled my order.
Wow, early Christmas for the next guy in line. When I drove my friend's, I didn't find the ground clearance to be a problem at all. I think you should have kept the car...then, if it turned out to be a problem you could have just flipped the car for a profit.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 01:22 PM   #360
Mr. Nice
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 Comp XDrive

Garage List
That's one heck of a budget stretch, but if I had the means I would undoubtedly do the same. Congrats.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 05:57 PM   #361
Artemis
Rep

Technical analysis showing some special features of the GT4 front and rear set-up underpinnings. Interesting. As expected, the Porsche Motorsport division has done its homework.

08-18-2015, 07:44 PM   #362
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, 2000 Z3

I don't know how this is even a debate, if price wasn't an object, the GT4 all day long. Unfortunately for me, the GT4 is out of my price range. But I don't think there would be a point where I would even debate on this.

Actually, I might take the Alfa 4C, because at that point in time, who cares, it is a sexy looking, quick enough, mid engine rwd, exotic looking awesome little beast.
      08-18-2015, 08:15 PM   #363
csbear
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepler View Post
Wow, early Christmas for the next guy in line. When I drove my friend's, I didn't find the ground clearance to be a problem at all. I think you should have kept the car...then, if it turned out to be a problem you could have just flipped the car for a profit.
My sales guy at the dealership went to fill up the tank before I get there tomorrow to pick it up. He said he didn't have any problem in the few entry ways and even speed bumps he went over.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 08:30 PM   #364
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
My sales guy at the dealership went to fill up the tank before I get there tomorrow to pick it up. He said he didn't have any problem in the few entry ways and even speed bumps he went over.
Ah, never mind. Just park.
(source and more pictures: http://www.autogespot.com/porsche-98...gt4/2015/06/26)

Name:  GT4_Parked.jpg
Views: 1882
Size:  404.8 KB
Name:  GT4_Parked2.jpg
Views: 1581
Size:  375.8 KB
      08-18-2015, 08:36 PM   #365
csbear
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Oh man, that's cutting it close lol!!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 01:57 AM   #366
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

GT4 ground clearance is 115 mm so not as bad as it looks on that photo. Get mine in Nov to go alongside my 1M
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 02:37 AM   #367
IS3andME
Major
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Man, this is getting to be really one sided. A car that is not out yet, and more than likely will not compete against a car that is on sale and we know what it looks like in the flesh.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 04:00 AM   #368
cc3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS3andME
Man, this is getting to be really one sided. A car that is not out yet, and more than likely will not compete against a car that is on sale and we know what it looks like in the flesh.
But the M2 CSL will be similar performance and price point to GT4. Dealer has my deposit should be great
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 04:18 AM   #369
IS3andME
Major
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc3 View Post
But the M2 CSL will be similar performance and price point to GT4. Dealer has my deposit should be great
The M2 is not even out yet, and as far as the M2 CSL, we don't even know what will look like, or even when it will come out. It may even be canned. And Porsche has already hinted at a more focused, if not track version of the GT4 (GT4 RS?).
So is pure far fetched speculation on whether the M2 CSL will have similar performance and price point of the GT4.
Appreciate 1
      08-19-2015, 05:55 AM   #370
cc3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS3andME
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc3 View Post
The M2 is not even out yet, and as far as the M2 CSL, we don't even know what will look like, or even when it will come out. It may even be canned. And Porsche has already hinted at a more focused, if not track version of the GT4 (GT4 RS?).
So is pure far fetched speculation on whether the M2 CSL will have similar performance and price point of the GT4.
Maybe your dealers are not so switched on in your country or the car won't be sold in all countries. The same happens on a number of limited edition vehicles. Nothing was official on the GT4 but if you waited in the UK until it was then you didn't get an allocation. Same on 991 GT3 RS etc
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 11:24 AM   #371
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

I love this car so much. This is also the best video they've done since Carlos left Motortrend
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2015, 11:48 AM   #372
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Cammisa is a good guy. I like him. He's done a few vids for MotorTrend in the past and this hilarious one.

Oh, and he owns an E30 Touring by the way.
Appreciate 1
      08-29-2015, 08:18 AM   #373
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Here some first impressions of one of your US 'brothers', csbear.
http://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/88972...p-journal.html

What are your impressions so far ?
      08-31-2015, 10:03 PM   #374
csbear
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Here some first impressions of one of your US 'brothers', csbear.
http://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/88972...p-journal.html

What are your impressions so far ?
Copy/paste from F80/82 forum:

Kind of at a loss of words right now, but can muster up some details. This is truly my dream car and am fortunate to have gotten one. Rowing through the gears on the GT4 reminds why I will never give up on manual cars, at least in 2 seater form. The gearbox, shifter, clutch all really are mechanically "chunky" in a good way, yet smooth as butter in their operation. You can tell Porsche made this manual tranny for car enthusiasts and gear-heads. I kept it under about 4K rpm, but you realize the potential it has and break-in can't come soon enough. I hear around 5000 - 5500 rpm it really wakes up, so excited for that. I did a little canyon-carving, following my brother around in his 911, and found out that turns which I couldn't imagine taking in my previous car were just too easy for the GT4. It is very composed and confident on sharp bends. The sound is amazing and hearing it just behind your ears, with the PSE on, while going through the I95 Baltimore tunnel was orgasmic, lol! The reduced sound dampening is so appreciated! Porsche did a great job with the noise on this thing and I haven't even taken it to the higher part of the tach yet.

Motor Trend reported some understeer in their video, but that's really common and also so people don't end up killing themselves on the street or track. Couple of things can be done to fix that, tire/wheel setup, camber adjustments, stiffen rear bar, etc. Gearing is a little tall, but not a deal breaker by any means.

The car gets a lot of attention obviously, like people taking cell phone pics. 911, Tesla, and even a Ferrari driver slowed down to check the car out, etc. A bunch of guys on their sport bikes gave me a thumbs up and so did a guy in his 997(?) Turbo. Yes, it garners a lot of respect from fellow car nuts, which is fine by me because I love talking about cars with my fellow car enthusiasts...doesn't matter which brand. Filling it up at the Sunoco was funny. Everybody trying to check it out, but people were respectful and kept their distance. It's probably the fixed wing, Sapphire Blue color, very low height, and the satin back wheels which have people thinking "exotic," or something.

I'm a big fan of BMW M cars, but if you can sacrifice the back seats, pay the extra $, and can actually find a GT4 or allocation, you will be very happy no doubt. Does it have the low-end torque of something like an M4 or C63S, probably not (although it's more than enough I feel), but that's not the whole point of this car as many know. It is a total package sports car, with sublime handling, ample power, lots of driver involvement, great sounds, and almost exotic looks.
Appreciate 2