THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 228i vs. 328 - Ride Quality/Handling Ability

11-27-2016, 12:30 AM   #23
englishguy84
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 230i M-Sport

Well, I was about to send out requests for quotes for a 428i build, and I got cold feet. All the talk about the 428i being heavy, boaty, etc. scared me. I drove a 428i M Sport at the beginning of my test driving experience, after driving a base, pre-LCI 328i, so it felt great in comparison. Coming from a Mercedes, it felt nice and supple but sporty with great reflexes--it felt like the car knew what I wanted to do and was an extension of my head and hands and feet.

The only RWD 2 I could find to test drive was a base suspension. Felt too much like a base LCI 330i, but smaller and more tossable. I'm back on the East Coast and can't find a RWD M Sport 230i to test. I'm going to keep looking before I order anything.

So, new question: did people cross-shop the 4? The pros for the 4 for me are: probably better ride quality with M-Sport because it has a longer wheelbase, better H/K sound (important to me), nicer interior. Cons: heavier, less engaging? Again, I don't track my car.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 03:54 PM   #24
caycep
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
I dunno, you might get comparable pricing on either w/ the incentives but the 228i's driving characteristics and $36k (negotiated w/ my preferred options) + IMHO better looks sold me on that. The HK system on mine sounds fine to me, but I'm not that picky an audiophile.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 04:52 PM   #25
Pedped88
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 CP

I've driven my friends 428i M sport quite a few times and for long distances at times. I think it's fine/nimble enough specially if it's just a DD but I don't know, it feels like it's missing that something special. I just feel way more connected and involved with my 235 but I'm biased and the car is smaller. Steering feels more direct in the 2 while I felt the 4 absorbs bumps and imperfections a tad bit better.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 05:11 PM   #26
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

The owner of the business I work for just grabbed an M4 a couple of months ago and I had the pleasure of driving it back from Kelowna through the Rocky Mountains, detailed it for him and put it into storage for the winter.

First things first, it's an M4 not a 435/440 so I'm getting a false sense of what a 4 series car has standard, from the factory in terms of power/handling. I've yet to test drive a 4 series, non M car.. That said, from a cosmetic standpoint, the space inside is noticeable and definitely wider at the seating position. The larger dashboard/windshield, wider armrest, little more legroom was all noticeable, right away. I almost felt like I was in a 5 series.. It wasn't at all a bad experience, but I kept telling myself that "if it were mine and I had the $, I'd want the M2 merely for size and the way the interior wrapped around me". The M4's powertrain is on another level, and won't even get into that. But the 435/440 in comparison wouldn't gain my interest, simply due to its size and fun factor, which it lacks, according to everything I've heard..

If you want a fast yet comfortable coupe to cruise around in and don't have a desire to do any tracking, autocross etc, the 4 series is probably the way to go. If you want fun, capable, fast, affordable coupe, the 2 wins any day of the week IMO.
      12-01-2016, 05:15 PM   #27
wanofakind01
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 BMW M2 6MT, '16 BMW X1

Located in DMV as well, was originally looking for a RWD 435, didn't even know what a 2er was until I happened to walk into a dealership trying to kill some time before picking up my now wife from a bridal shower. They didn't have a manual 435, but happened to have an m235 6MT on the lot and the guy told me to just give it a shot. Never looked back! I've had my fair share of coupes (eclipse, crossfire, g37s, 335i vert, 370z), but I just couldn't stop smiling while maneuvering this thing.

Drove a ZF8 435 right after, and definitely felt like a boat.

Found the right one for me a week later in NC, struggled to find a 6MT around the D.C. area. Believe you're encountering the same issue with a 230 as majority around here are AWD based on general demographic. Ever consider a RWD 240 or 235 CPO? Probably higher chances of finding a RWD, in addition to already having the m sport package.
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      12-01-2016, 06:31 PM   #28
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by msej449 View Post
We traded-in a 330d xDrive (17" wheels) Touring for an M235i Convertible (18" summers, 17" winters just fitted). Like you, there's just my wife and I sharing two cars. It fact it was she who said it was a final opportunity to get something fun to drive while we could still enjoy it (I'm 63). We ran it in on a summer trip around the Alps and France, so a mix of city, freeways, mountain roads and short day trips.

With the thru-load we were able to carry three large cases; electric cooler; two boxes of stuff and two overnight bags plus bag of shoes and walking boots. So no problem with capacity. And we had the roof down much of the time. You might, however, find that you get some new luggage to fit optimally.

Back home, we've carried 2 passengers with no complaints about space. It's been great as a work commute and cross-country on some fairly poor roads, I've been fine with the ride. Only downside compared to the F31 is the fabric rear pillar which restricts the view a bit on reversing (although the camera compensates). You just need to be a bit old-fashioned about using the wing mirrors when reversing and check them more, but that's no bad thing.

So I'd endorse the 2 series as a great car for 2 people, whether commute or fun but admit it doesn't have the carrying-capacity of the Touring. I'm especially glad we went for the convertible: this transforms the driving experience in good weather. I once had a convertible with a manual fabric top, so 19 secs to fold/raise it is a luxury for me.

As for the interior compared to the 3 ... yes, the 2 (in the UK anyway) has much more limited colours and layout options. Basically just re seat colours and only black, red or beige. But the sport seats and electric seats are as good as the 3, I'd say.

Finally, the 3.0L 6-cyl engine and 8-speed auto is in another class, frankly. It's a 16% premium here to go to the 6-cyl engine so I can understand the problem if you're ona a budget, but if you can afford it, I'd recommend a test drive, at least.

Same colors and wheels in a 228ix Mpackage, love it.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 06:57 AM   #29
englishguy84
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I found an RWD M Sport convertible to test drive - no coupes. Will it still give me an idea of how it rides and handles? How different does the convertible feel?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 08:59 AM   #30
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishguy84
I found an RWD M Sport convertible to test drive - no coupes. Will it still give me an idea of how it rides and handles? How different does the convertible feel?
Different. I've owned both a coupe and now a convertible. If you like the way the vert handles you'll love the coupe. Currently have a 235 vert, 328d xDrive sedan and Dinan Stage 1 328 xDrive sport wagon.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 09:05 AM   #31
griz31
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330xi

I think you said you were in the DMV area...there's quite a few 230i at BMW Fairfax included a 6sp RWD coupe with m sport.

http://http://www.bmwoffairfax.com/new/BMW/2017-BMW-230i-fairfax-9f773dd10a0e0a1701d2b54a8b09ed97.htm
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 10:58 AM   #32
englishguy84
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz31 View Post
I think you said you were in the DMV area...there's quite a few 230i at BMW Fairfax included a 6sp RWD coupe with m sport.

http://http://www.bmwoffairfax.com/new/BMW/2017-BMW-230i-fairfax-9f773dd10a0e0a1701d2b54a8b09ed97.htm
Missed that one. Perfect. Thanks. With 6 MT to boot.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 02:11 PM   #33
englishguy84
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Update: finally got to drive an M Sport 230i. No comparison with the base 330i, for sure, but also better than both the 430i M Sport and the base 230i. The M Sport is actually better at dealing with bumps than the base suspension, and it feels so much more taut and fun to drive. It feels like a BMW. I understand all the marketing and sales reasons for the cars getting softer, but man. An automaker that can build cars like this should be ashamed to put its name on those base suspensions.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 01:12 AM   #34
Portadown95
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i with THP, Sport Pack

Buy the 230i if you don't need 4 doors. There is a strong argument that the 230i with track handling package and manual gearbox is the best enthusiast bmw out there (jalopnik did a great article on it). If you go light on the options you can get one for 35k.

P.s. Chose Track handling package over msport if you have to. The sticky tires, big brenbo brakes and adaptive suspension are a whale of a deal.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 05:16 PM   #35
englishguy84
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks everyone for the advice. I went with the 230i. After a lot of going back and forth about options, here's my build. I'm buying the car, so when in doubt, I tried to configure it to diminish things that could be complex to fix while still being rewarding to drive.

230i RWD
Alpine White
Oyster Sensatec (didn't want to pay extra for leather + leather maintenance later when Dakota isn't that great IMO)
M Sport Package
Driver Assistance Package
Moonroof
Power Seats (these last two are must haves in a car for me, YMMV)
H/K sound

With great sadness, I left the Lighting Package off because my commute and other driving just doesn't involve streets that aren't very, very well lit, so it felt like setting myself up for bigger bills if anything goes wrong with the Xenon/Adaptive. I'm prepared to regret this omission the most. I also decided not to get the THP because I'm perfectly happy with the M Sport suspension and didn't want to deal with the additional electronics in the Adaptive. And as far as colors go, M Sport takes away most interesting colors, so I decided not to spend more on metallic paint. I'm happy with getting a lot of what I care about for $40,000-ish. That feels about right for this size and level of car. Now I have to wait.
Appreciate 0