THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Bmw 2 series lighting package

05-11-2014, 11:35 AM   #1
ozair123
Rep
Drives: bmw 2 series

Bmw 2 series lighting package

Hey,

I ordered a 228i m sport. And since it was on a budget, I didn't add anything extra besides the m sport line and the dynamic handling. But as I was checking over the specs, I realized that I forgot the LED angel eyes Lighting package. I was hoping that they could add that on at the dealership, do you guys know if thats possible, since its a lease. Or is it too late.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 11:54 AM   #2
TAY TAY
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Audi S4

Too Late.
      05-11-2014, 12:13 PM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I was at the dealer today just checking out the lights on the 228. I used to think the xenon was a must upgrade - but I'm not so sure. You can argue they should be standard, but since they are a $900 option, I'd rather upgrade the steering wheel in the future.
On the BMW USA website under 228 accessories they sell a pair of $60 light bulbs - get them and don't think twice.

BTW with LED lights not available for the 228, it can be argued the standard lights are a smart move. I'm not sure but at night on the highway the standard lights don't attract attention frm the cops like the xenon LED DRL combo - is that valid?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 12:22 PM   #4
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by notime View Post
I'm not sure but at night on the highway the standard lights don't attract attention frm the cops like the xenon LED DRL combo - is that valid?
No. Stop being 16.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 12:52 PM   #5
mankid247
Wingman
Rep
Drives: M235i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozair123
Hey,

I ordered a 228i m sport. And since it was on a budget, I didn't add anything extra besides the m sport line and the dynamic handling. But as I was checking over the specs, I realized that I forgot the LED angel eyes Lighting package. I was hoping that they could add that on at the dealership, do you guys know if thats possible, since its a lease. Or is it too late.
If your car has not started being built yet then you can still change it. Once it enter production it's too late. I'm sure you could upgrade them at the dealer, that being said you are going to have to buy both new headlights I would assume and then pay them to install. In other words it's gonna cost an arm and a leg to do.
2009 E60 M5 // 2004 E46 M3
2019 G05 X5 50i // 2017 Alpina B6 Gran Coupe
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 01:09 PM   #6
VeryBadman
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 430i & Lexus NX300

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
No. Stop being 16.
+1 My other car is a full LED so it's bright and very obvious white but I have never got pulled over even once. It's not what kind of light you have but your driving habit. One might argue that what is the point of having this kinda of car and don't drive fast or don't do sprit driving. I actually do both but NOT all the time.
      05-11-2014, 01:56 PM   #7
tccox
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Msport

Garage List
The lighting package is more than just xenon lights it's a must have option for me, just for the safety factor

The Adaptive Headlights cast their beam in the direction of the curve and ensure better visibility and more safety during night drives on winding roads.

Sensors measure speed, steering angle and yaw (degree of rotation around the vertical axis). Based on this information, small electric motors turn the headlights left or right so the beam falls on the road ahead, guiding you into the bend.

Headlight beam throw control (a model-specific function) means the front headlights are raised at high speeds and lowered at slower speeds, which results in a wider beam for inner-city driving.

The adaptive headlight range control (a model-specific function) takes into consideration the vertical curve of the road. The headlight beam throw control is lowered when driving over a knoll and raised when the vehicle is in a dip.

The result: every single curve is illuminated and the oncoming traffic isn’t dazzled unnecessarily. Driving at night is even safer, particularly when visibility is poor.

Adaptive Headlights are only active when the vehicle is pulling away. They stay switched off when the BMW is in reverse and when the steering wheel is turned to the left while the vehicle is stationary (e.g. when pulling out of a parallel parking ******* to avoid dazzling oncoming traffic.

Adaptive Headlights are complemented by cornering lights. These are automatically activated at speeds of up to 70 km/h and improve visibility in the immediate vicinity of the vehicle, which is useful when driving along hairpin bends, turning or parking.
      05-11-2014, 02:14 PM   #8
eatsmeetswes
Rep
Drives: 228i

+1 to the poster above. I would've opted for the lighting package but due to my circumstances (needed to replace car immediately), I couldn't wait for a special order and most of the 228's on dealer lots did not have the lighting package. From a safety standpoint, I think the adaptive headlights are worth the price and not the mention, they are just plain sexy.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 03:48 PM   #9
denniskUSC
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Rep
Drives: MG 228i M-Sport

Lighting package is a must. And it's not an easy retrofit. From my understand different wiring sure there will be a plug n play down the road tho. I could be wrong.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 04:00 PM   #10
tccox
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by denniskUSC
Lighting package is a must. And it's not an easy retrofit. From my understand different wiring sure there will be a plug n play down the road tho. I could be wrong.
I would guess, to get all the features of the adaptive lighting package in a retrofit would be impossibly expensive
      05-11-2014, 04:35 PM   #11
SteveMaguire
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E30 M3, BMW X3, BMW 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW X3  [0.00]
2000 BMW 528i  [0.00]
1989 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozair123 View Post
Hey,

As long as your 228i is not in 112 status your dealership should be able to add the lighting package. Call them first thing Monday.

Steve
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 05:43 PM   #12
PigWig
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i X-Drive

You cannot add it at the dealership. On my previous F30, I settled for a car without the lighting package. I wanted it added, and asked the dealer what it would cost (I was willing to spend even $2-3K if necessary). My local BMW dealer told me that they could not install the xenon lamps at all. I spoke with two other local shops that wouldn't touch it either due to the complexity of a conversion and not knowing whether the car could kick codes after the fact.

There were also no options for aftermarket plug and play. I settled for ordering brighter/clearer halogen bulbs and LED DRLs, but it wasn't the same. My F30 was the first vehicle I had owned since college without xenons, and this was actually a major factor in my decision to trade in the F30 for my M235i. I will never own a car with halogen headlights again, but this is just my preference.

I will say though, I'm not located in NYC or SoCal. There are surely shops somewhere that could handle this, but the dealer said this was absolutely not an option regardless of how much money I was willing to spend on it, so I'd do everything you can to change it before you buy the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 09:46 PM   #13
ozair123
Rep
Drives: bmw 2 series

Danm, it sounds like its either too light or I'm going to have to shell out big bucks to get that sucker added. I was trying to save that extra 900 bucks which adds up to like 10 bucks on a lease. Any body else lease a 228 m sport? and if so what was the rough payment you guys paid?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 11:20 PM   #14
golf_234
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46, E90, F30

I wouldn't stress it too hard. Even bmws halogens have a classy look. There are more important things in life. I mean would i take xenons yes, but is it the end of the world, no. My mercedes has halogens coming from my adaptive xenon 135 (I have one of the few manual mercedes in the country, so my search was difficult), and the thought that they are a lot worse has never crossed my mind. What is cool is working with what you have learning for next time if you want to adjust and not worrying about it. Also bulbs, ballasts, headlight issues, and what not, will be Far far more minimal for you.
      05-12-2014, 06:15 AM   #15
tccox
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Also depends on how and when you drive. I go to work at 5:30 am on fairly curvy roads. For much of the year its pitch black going to work. The Adaptive lights are a absolete must for me. I can tell a HUGE difference when driving vehicles without them.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 10:40 AM   #16
///M235i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

All of this is standard on the M235i, correct?
I see auto-on/off is optional for USD$ 250???

Quote:
Originally Posted by tccox View Post
The lighting package is more than just xenon lights it's a must have option for me, just for the safety factor

The Adaptive Headlights cast their beam in the direction of the curve and ensure better visibility and more safety during night drives on winding roads.

Sensors measure speed, steering angle and yaw (degree of rotation around the vertical axis). Based on this information, small electric motors turn the headlights left or right so the beam falls on the road ahead, guiding you into the bend.

Headlight beam throw control (a model-specific function) means the front headlights are raised at high speeds and lowered at slower speeds, which results in a wider beam for inner-city driving.

The adaptive headlight range control (a model-specific function) takes into consideration the vertical curve of the road. The headlight beam throw control is lowered when driving over a knoll and raised when the vehicle is in a dip.

The result: every single curve is illuminated and the oncoming traffic isn’t dazzled unnecessarily. Driving at night is even safer, particularly when visibility is poor.

Adaptive Headlights are only active when the vehicle is pulling away. They stay switched off when the BMW is in reverse and when the steering wheel is turned to the left while the vehicle is stationary (e.g. when pulling out of a parallel parking ******* to avoid dazzling oncoming traffic.

Adaptive Headlights are complemented by cornering lights. These are automatically activated at speeds of up to 70 km/h and improve visibility in the immediate vicinity of the vehicle, which is useful when driving along hairpin bends, turning or parking.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 12:39 PM   #17
valentinbmw
Second Lieutenant
Chile
Rep
Drives: M3, F80

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by golf_234 View Post
I wouldn't stress it too hard. Even bmws halogens have a classy look. There are more important things in life. I mean would i take xenons yes, but is it the end of the world, no. My mercedes has halogens coming from my adaptive xenon 135 (I have one of the few manual mercedes in the country, so my search was difficult), and the thought that they are a lot worse has never crossed my mind. What is cool is working with what you have learning for next time if you want to adjust and not worrying about it. Also bulbs, ballasts, headlight issues, and what not, will be Far far more minimal for you.

I disagree, IMHO Bmw´s without the Led/xenon pack look kind of cheap and the light is way too yellow, that would defenetly be a deal breaker for me, sorry if i am to harsh but is the truth, if i where u i´ll try to get the Lighning pack anyway posible.
2013 BMW E 82 135 i Retired
2012 BMW F 20 116 i Retired
2011 BMW E 81 116 i Retired
2007 BMW E 87 116 i Retired

Last edited by valentinbmw; 05-13-2014 at 12:51 PM..
Appreciate 0