THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery Can PCD convert a non-enthusiast spouse?

12-12-2014, 12:18 PM   #1
wjones14
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Can PCD convert a non-enthusiast spouse?

To my surprise, my wife is not really interested in doing a Performance Center Delivery when it comes time to pick up my M235i some time around Apr 2015. She loves to travel, so I thought she would be excited by this, but not the case. I mentioned that there is a factory tour, performance driving instruction, overnight hotel, meals - basically first-class service and what should be a memorable day. Her reaction was just meh.

We live in CT and did a road trip once to Myrtle Beach SC. She reminded me how terrible the traffic was in NJ on the ride home, and how she swore at that point that she would never do another road trip of that length. We know this is different because we're only driving one way, but she's not convinced.

The background is that she is not the massive car enthusiast that I am. Before we married she had a 4-speed manual Super Beetle, and that was the last manual she owned. Bringing up kids, she drove the requisite minivans and SUVs, and now that the kids are grown, she has downsized to a Mini Cooper Clubman (automatic). She does like the sporty looks of the Mini, and I think she appreciates the better-than-average steering and handling - although she never actively thinks about it.

As far as performance driving, I have been doing track days once per year for 7 years now, and she is not the least bit interested. It's something I do on my own - I have asked her if she wanted to go just to see it and the answer was no. So I end up going by myself or with a friend instead.

My question is, has anyone been in a similar situation, and the PCD actually got their spouse interested in performance cars and driving?
      12-12-2014, 02:56 PM   #2
kd0t
Banned
Rep
Drives: M235i

Gotta hit 'em with the sight seeing and the shopping extravaganzas haha
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 03:06 PM   #3
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Took my girlfriend to Europe for 18 days on my Euro delivery. Paris, Munich, Rothenburg, Prague, Berlin, Nürburg, Amsterdam, Bruges, and Helsinki. She liked the factory tour, very much appreciated the food and first class service at the Welt, drove a lap with me on the Nürburgring, truly appreciated European highways and was comfortable with my attempts to hit the speed governor on the autobahn.

We flew first class there and back and stayed in multiple fancy hotels, including one that she exclaimed was the nicest place she's ever stayed in, topping suites in Vegas.

Still isn't interested.
      12-17-2014, 03:44 PM   #4
e30jim
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 M235I, E30 87 325ic, 15 F31

My wife loved the weekend. She was all upset about having a weekend all about cars and BMW; but she loved the driving, loved the factory tour and had a blast in the end. I couldn't get her out of the gift shop at the performance center after she had some seat time! Greenville is a wonderful city with so much to see and do so try to plan to stay a day or two. The instructors and delivery were first class. You only really drive for 1.5 hrs, take the tour and little off road course with the X-5's. I had my car after lunch and we were on the road by 2:30.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 02:44 AM   #5
LDSM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

I haven't done PCD, but I took my wife to the free BMW Ultimate Driving Event when it was offered and we got to do some autocross in a 2 series.

She was basically indifferent towards cars before the event, she tolerated my car talk but I know she was just nodding and smiling to get me to shut up.

During the event she had a blast!

She's not into cars anymore than before, but I think she has more of an appreciation for them and can better understand the appeal
Appreciate 0